• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Hisoka

Don't worry Doge, your time will come too

Should've bought more ANS yesterday

Edit:

Fees will KILL your assets if your trade frequency is even remotely high. Doing 1 set of transactions per week (e.g. from BTC to USD and then USD to BTC) at a rate of 0.5% will cut a 68% hole into your assets. You might have heard it already: shovel makers made the most out of the gold rush

Don't get me wrong, Eth might hit $1000 even by the end of summer; ...-snip-

Among the alt-coins, I wouldn't buy anything but LTC and Dash for now; ripple seems stable too, but it's just been moving sidways. I wouldn't even buy Eth right now, seems to be correcting downwards. Whatever you buy, put some stop order to protect some of your assets at least.

Sorry, didn't see. Thanks for the reply.

I transfered all of my ETH at once now. So all of it is on bittrex now.. Still waiting for a wallet tho.

I don't know.. i somehow lost it with ETH. I was superduper into it, but now it just.. lays around, dead. I don't know what it needs so it gets a push again. Maybe me stepping out at the right time so i can watch the rocket from afar hahaha.

Nice metapher with the shovelmakers. I don't even know what to buy now. Now that i'm on such a big exchange, i think i'm into deep crypto i guess? Hodling on coinbase was fun, but now i reach out of my comfortzone to go bigger.

Soo.. playing safe right now a bit i guess
*puts everything into ANS*

FeD.nL

My Sia coins are doing well today.

Take with a grain of salt.

But apparently there's big new coming this week for Sia, so it could rocket up even more.

It has something to do with Obelisk and more details are coming out on friday. Ah well we'll see.

Donos

How much was ANS a week or a month ago?
It's probably an answer I'm not gonna like

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/antshares/ (7d)

It was around 1.70 $ three days ago. Last month 0.7 $ :)

What are your resources for keeping abreast of altcoin news?

Blockfolio app has a news section (seems to be mostly from coindesk and bitcoin magazine). Reddit is also not bad if you filter out the moon/lambo jokes and the people hyping stuff to no end.

Red

Really amazing the change some of these coins undergo in a week or two. It feels like a gold rush. I keep diversifying but I still know nothing about many options.

I haven't found any real good analyses of cryptocurrencies so far, and the market fluctuations prevent me from buying into the traditional investment advice I keep seeing offered. Too much of blockchain technology so far seems built on a foundation of speculation and dreams. I need to take a closer look at the patterns for which coins tend to stick around and which continue to accrue value.

I've seen the news section in Blockfolio, but I haven't found a news outlet that discusses upcoming ICOs. There must be one.

I am completely new to all this. I heard of bitcoon awhile back, but thought it was mostly used on the black market.

Anyways, i have $300 that i can afford to invest right now. I know that's not a lot of $$, but i would like to invest it in something. I was thinking about cryptocurrency.

I would not be selling it, most likely hold on to it for years.

What do you guys think? Thanks

Nooo 😨
I have around 8000 SC, hopefully that goes to the moon. Think it could hit at least $1 or $2?

Yea I also have around 8000 SC, dual mining it as well pretty effeciently. When my other cards come I'll be mining about 300-400 a day basically gratis. They really jumped today.

Going to be watching to decide if I should take profits and then rebuy. I really don't know what caused a jump of like 50% value from a few days ago. I always thought it was just going to be a long road of usage increasing the price.

Fees will KILL your assets if your trade frequency is even remotely high. Doing 1 set of transactions per week (e.g. from BTC to USD and then USD to BTC) at a rate of 0.5% will cut a 68% hole into your assets. You might have heard it already: shovel makers made the most out of the gold rush

How do people do succesful daytrading if fees cut so badly into your assets?

You don't daytrade with crypto unless there's pretty major shifts. The fees on something like Bittrex are .25% though for instance. The major fees come in when you're cashing out to a fit currency. So you can day trade, as long as you factor in the trade fees and wait to cash out in larger blocks.

Kiraly

Why the hype for a 100% increase on ANS when 1st is up 150% and XAS up over 200%?

XAS is only on a single Chinese exchange and looks to be a classic pump and dump.

I am completely new to all this. I heard of bitcoon awhile back, but thought it was mostly used on the black market.

Anyways, i have $300 that i can afford to invest right now. I know that's not a lot of $$, but i would like to invest it in something. I was thinking about cryptocurrency.

I would go for SC and forget about it for a couple of years. Cloud-based storage application, really looks to be a winner with great technology and an excellent team behind it.

Nooo 😨
I have around 8000 SC, hopefully that goes to the moon. Think it could hit at least $1 or $2?

1 USD would mean a market cap of 27b, whereas only BTC and ETH have higher than that of just now. Moreover, Dropbox for example has a market cap of 6b at the moment. It is possible, just don't expect it in the near future (more like years from now).

Donos

Their delegate voting /staking system seems interesting although i'm not sure if i have grasped the mechanic 100 %.

Tk0n

every time i read up on staking for a coin, it boils down to "you need to invest much more!"

on ARK, only the delegates can stake/forge new blocks. you can, with your coins, vote for a delegate and he shares his profits with you.
as i understand the delegate can determine how much of it is shared.

thinking about checking out of eth before the bubble bursts and invest in alternative coins.
but i guess, if/when it bursts, it will pull all other coins down with it.

Donos

But some coin could probably come out as the beneficiary if that happens (didn't someone speculated it could be LTC a few pages ago?).

If that is the coin you bought 10.000 units for 0.01 $ then ...

No matter what, i'm already happy and i'm glad i stepped into this cryptocurrency world. My gf is already suspicious why i look at strange charts all day :)

ZOONAMI

Yea I also have around 8000 SC, dual mining it as well pretty effeciently. When my other cards come I'll be mining about 300-400 a day basically gratis. They really jumped today.

Going to be watching to decide if I should take profits and then rebuy. I really don't know what caused a jump of like 50% value from a few days ago. I always thought it was just going to be a long road of usage increasing the price.

What pool are you mining SC on?

I'n on Nanopool at 850mh/s and it's taking me like a week to get 500 SC.

Is Bitrex the best place to buy Sia at? Thinking of putting $100 on it. Would I need to transfer BTC from my Gemini account to Bitrex?

Should I create a wallet for the Sia then since I will be holding out for the long term?

I've been reading a few things on Sia the last few days and this stuff could be the real deal.

All these different websites and all these different coins and all these different offline wallets are starting to become a hassle to track lol. Do you guys use an offline wallet for every single coin?

If you're holding for years, I would recommend mostly investing in Bitcoin. It probably won't be a popular response here because it's more exciting to buy a penny stock and dream big. But the vast majority of these alts are pump and dump coins with little long-term value. Bitcoin is the king for a reason and makes the best long-term hodl imo. Price may seem high, but this is nothing compared to what some forecasts have it at in a decade. My company invests a lot in crypto and our internal models have it hitting six figures within a decade. Obviously not saying that's going to happen, but this isn't the moon for Bitcoin. Not even close. Hedging with a little bit of ETH isn't a bad idea too.

Donos

Power HODL'ing Bitcoin is probably nothing for the faint-hearted if you see the graphs from the last years (or the GAF threads lol).

@TheDoldrums why is Bitcoin "future proof" in your eyes? From what i have read, Ethereum and other coins have way bigger range of application over time (e.g. smart contracts)

Tk0n

ok, im officially out of eth the time being.
made a nice profit, but i fear the pyramid is crashing any minute now. ;)

ill have a tear in my eyes if it goes trough the roof again tomorrow.

The Rizza

Is Bitrex the best place to buy Sia at? Thinking of putting $100 on it. Would I need to transfer BTC from my Gemini account to Bitrex?

Should I create a wallet for the Sia then since I will be holding out for the long term?

I've been reading a few things on Sia the last few days and this stuff could be the real deal.

I did exactly what you asked. Bought some BTC, transferred to Bittrex, and bought Sia from there. Everything went pretty smoothly

@TheDoldrums why is Bitcoin "future proof" in your eyes? From what i have read, Ethereum and other coins have way bigger range of application over time (e.g. smart contracts)

Well I wouldn't say anything is future proof, I just think it's got the best shot at longevity. Start with the fact that people actually use it as currency, unlike essentially every other cryptocoin. I've bought things with bitcoin. I don't know what you buy with ethereum aside from shady ICO tokens.

I like that it's really tough to change bitcoin. It's a Star Destroyer while most alt-coins are TIE fighters. Sure they can pivot quickly, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Ethereum is centralized and at any point one person (Vitalik) can make major changes to your coins without your consent. Any changes to bitcoin are ardous, as the scaling debate has shown. But that also makes it more reliable imo.

I like that bitcoin is scarce. There will only ever be ~22 million ever mined. Everyone understands how it's supply works. The mechanics behind the ETH supply are much less clear to me. It was pre-mined. There is no maximum supply of ethereum.

I understand how things like smart contracts have given ETH extra utility. But doesn't it seem like the network crashes or heavily slows every time a big ICO is released? If this keeps happening ICOs will move to a better network. They have their own scaling issues, just like bitcoin. But in bitcoin's case, it seems SegWit activation is increasingly likely. The coin that so rarely changes is about to go through a big change after years of debate. That would open the door for far better scaling and potential smart contracts. If that happens, it's possible every alt including ETH becomes heavily devalued.

Having said all that, I still hold 10-15% of my crypto portfolio in ETH as a hedge against Bitcoin. But I'm certainly more of a believer in the latter.

ZOONAMI

So what is the deal with XRP?

The XRP that is tradeable is completely different form the network that the banks are actually using.

I guess I don't really see what it's value is other than being another crypto, where the founders have said they can create more XRP in the future.

Big gains on it today though.

Brandson

So what is the deal with XRP?

The XRP that is tradeable is completely different form the network that the banks are actually using.

I guess I don't really see what it's value is other than being another crypto, where the founders have said they can create more XRP in the future.

Big gains on it today though.

Unless Ripple or someone else comes up with a good use for XRP, I don't think holding them as an investment makes sense. There could always be mysterious fluctuations from time to time, which can sometimes be explained by XRP being added to a new exchange for trading, or someone misunderstanding Ripple news and getting people falsely excited about it. The only way I see to make money on XRP is to somehow predict those irrational movements. Ripple as a company is pretty interesting though.

ZOONAMI

zcash pretty much going to the moon right now...

Why?

Considering mining it over ether for now as it's more profitable

Luschient

My company invests a lot in crypto and our internal models have it hitting six figures within a decade.

I'd love for that to be true for all of you holding BTC, but I don't know... Would love to see the data behind that.

$27k investment today for a shot at dat million.

Bauer24

I missed out on ANS which has seen an insane rise, and spent quite a few $$$ on SWT. The latter of which has tanked and is now out of the top 100 on Coinmarket cap :(

InertiaXr

zcash pretty much going to the moon right now...

Why?

Considering mining it over ether for now as it's more profitable

how do you actually mine ETH

I've been mining these SIACOIN things for a few days for fun and it seems alright so far, but ETH would appear more likely to actually be worth something decently into the future, should probably mine those instead

What pool are you mining SC on?

I'n on Nanopool at 850mh/s and it's taking me like a week to get 500 SC.

Nanopool as well. I'm Average like 1100-1200 MH/s but have 4 more 580's coming in a few days. I get like 150 SC per day right now.

I've been mining these SIACOIN things for a few days for fun and it seems alright so far, but ETH would appear more likely to actually be worth something decently into the future, should probably mine those instead

You dual mine Siacoin. You mine ETH and you find a balance for dual mining Siacoin where it barely diminishes your effeciency mining ETH. I lose like 1 MH/s on my ETH mining and use about 10% more power.

ZOONAMI

Go to ethermine.org and download a miner, follow instructions

Some platforms offer low fixed rate fees, say 0.1%. Some offer progressively smaller fees as your trade volumes goes up. You'll still be making a profit as long as your profit is more than the fees in each transaction too, regardless of the fee.

Top Bottom