• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Brandson

Can anyone advise what the best way to keep your dollar amount steady is on Bittrex? For instance there were a few times today where I wanted to bail out of some underperforming coins, but didn't want to jump into Ark at the price it was at at that moment as I figured it would come down to a better buy point (which it did).

On Kraken I can just easily switch in and out of fiat, should I switch into Tether to lock in value on Bittrex? And if so what are the risks/downsides of that?

On Bittrex, your only choice for fiat preservation is to trade into USDT and keep your fingers crossed that it won't collapse. I prefer to trade on actual fiat-based exchanges. I'm not saying I think this will happen, but there is always a risk that USDT value could go to 0, especially if there's a run on USDT/USD. You should take that into account always.

KPJZKC

Tether is the best way of doing it. It's effectively locked with USD, only moves a tiny amount away so no need to worry.

And for coins that aren't linked to Tether I should just transfer to BTC first right? That is essentially what I was expecting, just a bit worrying. I looked at Tether chart on coin market cap and it seems to only really be within 1-4% of the value of USD at time (unless this variance is expected).

jamsy

Wow.

Bought 1 BTC at $4300ish last week via bank transfer. By the time I actually get the damn coin, Iooks like I'm going to be out at least $800.

Brandson

Wow what is happening right now...LTC lost ~$50 since its high of $94 a little over a week ago. Talk about volatility. o_O

Just watch Bitcoin (for this short term dump). Only ETH maybe can impact Bitcoin's price, but even that would be very minor. Everything will track Bitcoin's movements.

When you look at blockfolio the last couple of days.

lKL6jTj.gif

But then you hope that it drops even more so you can buy cheap and be rich in a few years.

7kT1gaJ.gif

And bitcoin under 3400$ now.

jamsy

So I just got my 1 BTC and 1 ETH I bought last week. I'm down over $1000.

Should I hold this until it (hopefully) bounces back? Invest in more Ark? Fuck, I really didn't expect this bad of a crash.

syllogism

Did a SEPA € transfer to Kraken today and it took only 2 hours to get credited with almost no fees. Can't believe some of you have to wait a week.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will just hold. No buying, no selling. Just holding. Unless Ark goes below 85k :p

Said damn when i just saw the actual NEO price.

I am glad that I managed to get rid of majority of NEO, only have five left.

ARK dipping quite a bit. Would love to buy more but gotta keep myself in check.

It went to 100k today, but not below

Did a SEPA € transfer to Kraken today and it took only 2 hours to get credited with almost no fees. Can't believe some of you have to wait a week.

It really depends on bank and overall credit traffic at exchange. I use Bitstamp for SEPA € transfers, because they use the same bank as I do and that is the reason that I usually get money credited in 90 minutes. Unless they have a lot of traffic, then it can take up to 8 hours or more.

golem

Should I hold this until it (hopefully) bounces back? Invest in more Ark? Fuck, I really didn't expect this bad of a crash.
It's probably only temporary. You most likely bought into BTC and ETH to hold. Would stay the course.

Brandson

In Canada, there is no SEPA, so it takes 1-2 weeks on Kraken. No one should complain about same-day funding for crypto.

Wow what is happening right now...LTC lost ~$50 since its high of $94 a little over a week ago. Talk about volatility. o_O
Litecoin has always made no sense to me. Bitcoin has always been gold and Litecoin has always been silver. Litecoin takes forever to go up when Bitcoin is skyrocketing, but when Bitcoin starts to fall we see Litecoin drop like a rock.

I think this is going lower. I would cut the loss now if I were in Litecoin.

Damn, I just took a look. I don't have any NEO but always considered it. From $50 to $15, though, yikes.

I am so glad I sold off my Neo last week before the decent to hell occurred. I don't know if Neo can ever fully recover, especially if China tries to release their own Blockchain.

x3sphere

I'd just hold.

I'm down a lot more than that, over 10K, not really worried though. Pretty confident Bitcoin and Ethereum will see another 10-20x increase in value from current highs eventually. However, always expected it would be a bumpy road. If BTC drops below 3000 or ETH 200 I'll probably be buying more

Sulik2

Always hold, every time there has been a major BTC crash its always recovered and come back way stronger. That seems to be the rule to crypto. Always hold and you do fine.

Cipherr

I am so glad I sold off my Neo last week before the decent to hell occurred. I don't know if Neo can ever fully recover, especially if China tries to release their own Blockchain.

NEO and BNB are the worst I have seen since I started looking into Crypto. It's only been a month and some change for me; but damn. Just like that, all the ICO hype that was at a fever pitch late July is now cooling HEAVILY as people are wary of scams and China is looking to regulate them and trading in general.

Just eviscerated BNB and NEO. It unreal.

criesofthepast said:
Reddit is hilarious at times like this. It really shows you the immaturity of the crypto scene and how much we need to grow up and also why mainstream may never really take it seriously.

Yeah I don't get this. I should be more panicked than people who have been following this for years. This dip isn't even as large as some of the ones I saw in the history of BTC; so I don't really get why so many are losing it. Maybe its China? Were the past BTC pullbacks just out of nowhere? Or did they have a catalyst as well?

x3sphere

Yeah I don't get this. I should be more panicked than people who have been following this for years. This dip isn't even as large as some of the ones I saw in the history of BTC; so I don't really get why so many are losing it. Maybe its China? Were the past BTC pullbacks just out of nowhere? Or did they have a catalyst as well?

News coming out of China has tanked the Bitcoin price more times than I can remember. Every time it has ended up being a great buying opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if this ban ends up being temporary and exchanges eventually work out a deal with the PBoC.

The Rizza

Yiiiiiikes @ NEO. I'm still up from when I bought in, but definitely just going to hold still.

On the flipside. Question about ARK: if I have already voted for a delegate and then buy more ARK, are they automatically counted towards that delegate then? Or do I have to revote?

bigedole

I just want to say that if you see the market doing what it has been doing the past couple days and you feel nervous, then you probably don't want to be investing in crypto too much yet. If you observe all this red and you see it as an opportunity to increase some positions, then you're probably going to do pretty well :)

Do not sell now unless you plan to stop investing in crypto for the time being. This is probably the worst time to exit your positions unless you just don't want to maintain them anymore. Volatility is the name of the game in cryptos! When the rebound starts, it's going to happen quickly and you don't want to be caught out holding only fiat looking to buy back in...

I just want to say that if you see the market doing what it has been doing the past couple days and you feel nervous, then you probably don't want to be investing in crypto too much yet. If you observe all this red and you see it as an opportunity to increase some positions, then you're probably going to do pretty well :)

Do not sell now unless you plan to stop investing in crypto for the time being. This is probably the worst time to exit your positions unless you just don't want to maintain them anymore. Volatility is the name of the game in cryptos! When the rebound starts, it's going to happen quickly and you don't want to be caught out holding only fiat looking to buy back in...

This is what I am doing. Just waiting for tomorrow to see if there is a friday drop/new news to try to get some cheap LTC.

Okay see you later Binance. Volume is just too damn low. I was fucking with Walton coin but shit is boring. Going over to Bitfinex because the volume is just too good not to.

Crispy

When the rebound starts, it's going to happen quickly and you don't want to be caught out holding only fiat looking to buy back in...

Thanks for the advice! It's tempting to go back to the certainty of fiat, but you're right: when the market changes, it changes fast! And then you need to be there.

Now I set up some nice buy and sell orders anticipating on where the market goes and where I want ot be when that happens.

Cipherr

Slow work today so I spent the day Selling my stack of ARK that's on the exchange at ~$4.16 into BTC then buying it back at the dips to $3.87 or so. Did that three times and managed to grow my ARK number buy a really good margin for free technically. But it would have been so much better if I had access to USDT, because every wait time that I had with my money sitting in BTC it was dropping value throughout the day. I still profited because of the raw number of ARK I was moving at .30 cent discounts per ARK, but still. Having access to an fiat anchor would have easily added another ~$25 worth of ARK to my stack at the end of the day. Its not a lot, but when you are talking free money, the lost opportunity grates.

Yiiiiiikes @ NEO. I'm still up from when I bought in, but definitely just going to hold still.

On the flipside. Question about ARK: if I have already voted for a delegate and then buy more ARK, are they automatically counted towards that delegate then? Or do I have to revote?

It updates in realtime. Definitely do not revote. Just keep adding more and more to that wallet.

SomTervo

I should be receiving some royalties in December and I'm interested in investing in some cryptos.

Probably up to around $500-600 across two or three. ETH looks compelling due to the corporate support so that's definitely a goer. Maybe BTC on top of that, but i don't know the pros/cons of the others.

Any advice? I also have no idea how to physically do it. But have a friend who put some in recently so can get advice.

Cipherr

Monero is literally trading 14 dollars cheaper on a Chinese exchange right now vs Bittrex and every other exchange; and it has decent value. That exchange is also running BTC lower than its price elsewhere. That would be a chance to make a killing if I spoke Chinese and could navigate the exchange faster/better. My god.

I should be receiving some royalties in December and I'm interested in investing in some cryptos.

Probably up to around $500-600 across two or three. ETH looks compelling due to the corporate support so that's definitely a goer. Maybe BTC on top of that, but i don't know the pros/cons of the others.

Any advice? I also have no idea how to physically do it. But have a friend who put some in recently so can get advice.

BTC and ETH are fantastic bets if you want to have a high percentage chance of making money for certain. Make sure if you end up using coinbase.com that you get your friend to give you his referral code. If you use it, both you and him will be given $10 for free. May as well take the free money.

Cipherr

We just broke down below 3200 in BTC guys holy shit the guys saying 2900 or below sound right
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

BTC: $3167.46

If this continues tomorrow, the weekend + this dip will mean we will absolutely see 2900 range

DKF590

Wow... cashed out about a week ago when the China ICO news broke. Looks like I dodged a bullet as pretty much everything I was holding is down massively. Didn't think the dip would be anywhere near this extreme.

Only thing I'm still holding is WTC which luckily hasn't dropped all that much. Tempted to pick up some coins on the cheap towards the end of the weekend.

Top Bottom