• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

When someone says that both CF and SLI have improved from the last gen they're not just going by feel on this, there's actual data on this (check TechReport for example). AMD is still a little behind with CF but SLI made big advances in the last two or so generations of GPU's.

I never said advancements had not been made with CF and SLI. I simply pointed out that single gpu setups do not suffer from microstutter or poorly optimized drivers the way dual/tri/quad setups do. And that lead to me being a fucker, an idiot, and apparently in need of doing homework.

GHG

Cool, guess i better go back to grad school.

stuff

and stuff

and STUFF

That last one's really worth a read. My post (#417) mentions the issues of micro-stuttering and poor optimzation/drivers

You've done well here.

First link has lots of people saying they've had no problems, similar to most of here, of course there is the odd person saying they've had issues.

Second link is from back in February 2012. AMD Drivers were less mature at this time for the 7970, nevermind the 7970 in a CF configuration.... At this time the 7970 had a lot of issues in a single card in a lot of games and was not getting anywhere near the performence we now know its capable of.

3rd link is for a Tri-SLI setup when we all know that things get hugely complicated when you add a 3rd card (most games aren't well optimized, negative scaling, driver issues).

So yeh, well done, keep that ship afloat.

But anyway, this thread isn't about this, its about Crysis 3.

Lots of interesting benchmarks and IQ setting comparisons here: http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/crysis-3-test-gpu.html

Is the grass supposed to be so... jerky? For some reason the grass in open areas looks like it's animating at half-speed, if that makes sense. I'm getting 60ish FPS out in the field with the tower but the grass looks like it's animating at 20FPS. It sort of looks like Halo PC did when the framerate was unlocked.

haikira

Anyone having problems getting D3DOverrider to work with this game? I hear the dinging sound when i boot the game up, to signal it's working. But it's definitely not. I had no problems getting it to work with the multiplayer beta though.

Vitor711

So best thing is to play the opening sequence at max settings and screw framerate and then past that you start tweaking?

Basically, go for the options you want but without any AA.

I couldn't get a solid 30 FPS at 1080 with any sort of AA enabled on the first mission but now I'm running with SMAA on medium and it looks great. At least, that's how it was for me.

First level is bizarre though. The opening cutscene is clearly in game and ran at well over 40FPS for me but then once I actually hit the game, it was in the low 20s at first.

I'm running an i5-760 OC'd at 3.4 with a GTX 680. It's perfectly playable with all settings on very high, 2x SMAA, and vsync through Nvidia Inspector, but I definitely am not getting the smoothness I can normally get (haven't done FRAPS yet).

Forgive my thread-reading laziness, but which settings can be moved to "high" to improve performance with minimal visual fidelity reduction?

Peterthumpa

so... the issue I'm having is that when I try to play this on my HDTV it defaults to 24 hz whether I play at 1080p or 720p.

Holy shit, this problem still exists? Try to ALT+Enter to go to windowed mode and then back again to fullscreen and see if that helps, had this same shitty behavior with Crysis 1 and 2.

If it doesn't fix it, create a custom resolution on the video card's control panel with the exact same settings you're playing the game with (resolution + refresh rate).

Gbraga

I'm running an i5-760 OC'd at 3.4 with a GTX 680. It's perfectly playable with all settings on very high, 2x SMAA, and vsync through Nvidia Inspector, but I definitely am not getting the smoothness I can normally get (haven't done FRAPS yet).

Forgive my thread-reading laziness, but which settings can be moved to "high" to improve performance with minimal visual fidelity reduction?

Not sure how much it affects visual fidelity, but moving Shading to High will grant you a nice fps boost. Shadows as well (probably)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is it possible to get ~30 fps capped no AA ( or fxaa )@ 1080p with max settings on 670@1300 ( 680 ), 2600@4.6?

Guys which game is technically more advanced. Crysis 3 or Crysis 1?

A guy on another forum says Crysis 1 because you can destroy some huts and it has a day and night cycle...

He says everything in C3 is prebaked lighting and no physics. What say GAF?

A guy on another forum says Crysis 1 because you can destroy some huts and it has a day and night cycle...

From what I understand all that destructible physics and issues are present in the engine, just not used in the game.

All lighting is dynamic from what I understand

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Here are my specs and results -

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 850MHz 1GB GDDR5
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

1366x768 (native)
Everything set to very high
V-Sync enabled
FSAA enabled
Framerate - I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing I'm getting on average 30 fps with it varying up and down. Whatever it is, it feels like the 360 version - I bought both. The difference in visuals is huge though.

*If you have a native 720p display, I'd think you'd be able to build a PC to run it in a playable state for less than $1000.

Sethos

Banned

Crysis 3, because this game also has dynamic ToD which is apparent in the SDK however they most likely stick to a static ToD because it can wreck havoc with the lighting and require a lot more work. Also, a few huts breaking apart isn't groundbreaking stuff, we've had that for years and years - Now it's about "Where does it fit in, this kind of physics?". Everything you saw in Crysis 1 can be done in Crysis 2 and 3 because it's improved engine iterations, not re-writes, it all comes down to what the developer has in mind for the levels.

Frogacuda

Banned
Is it just me or is there barely any difference between 2xSMAA and 8xMSAA?
It's not just you. Anyone who uses 8x anti-aliasing is basically a retard who just likes to see big numbers on the settings screen and jerk off.

There's some perceptible difference between 2x and 4x, but there's none between 4x and 8x at all, so you're just lowering your frame rate for no reason.

Yeah, anyone who says Crysis 1 is better because of the physics has some rose-tinted goggles. The huts were like four physics objects tenuously held together with a table or two inside. They're about as complicated as the shelves/other brik-a-brak lying around in 3. 3's lighting is also much better, although I supposed the original could still take the cake on sheer size of the levels.

KKRT00

Is it just me or is there barely any difference between 2xSMAA and 8xMSAA? Actually on the upper right the tree looks better on smaa. Interesting. I guess then I don't have to max out aa to make it look good. Just shows the diminishing returns I guess since you could lower many settings to high in the beta and the difference was negligible.

SMAA 4x is something around 4x MSAA for sub-pixel aliasing i something like 16x MSAA for closer geometry aliasing, it helps with transparency and in some way with shader aliasing too.
===

Everything is dynamic and You have a lot more physics in Crysis 3.
Crysis 1 on consoles runs on CryEngine 3.0 with the same physics and lighting conditions, so its not an engine limitation and new Crysis games dont have cycles only because of art reasons.
Here You have presentation where they are changing sun position in Crysis 3 level - http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=F...ature=player_detailpage&v=JmCvHel7PL8#t=1064s

scitek

Is it possible to get ~30 fps capped no AA ( or fxaa )@ 1080p with max settings on 670@1300 ( 680 ), 2600@4.6?

I have a 2500k @4.5 and a factory oc'd 670 and get -35-40fps with max settings and 4xSMAA at 1080p. And around 25-30fps at 1440p with 2xSMAA, which is perfectly playable with their motion blur.

Is the grass supposed to be so... jerky? For some reason the grass in open areas looks like it's animating at half-speed, if that makes sense. I'm getting 60ish FPS out in the field with the tower but the grass looks like it's animating at 20FPS. It sort of looks like Halo PC did when the framerate was unlocked.
Yeah, the water ripples have the same problem.

I hope it's just a technical glitch that can be resolved with a patch/config tweak, but I think it's the way the game was made.

sp3000

Everything is dynamic and You have a lot more physics in Crysis 3.
Crysis 1 on consoles runs on CryEngine 3.0 with the same physics and lighting conditions, so its not an engine limitation and new Crysis games dont have cycles only because of art reasons.
Here You have presentation where they are changing sun position in Crysis 3 level - http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=F...ature=player_detailpage&v=JmCvHel7PL8#t=1064s

I'm not surprised they blame it on art reasons. The art has become universally terrible after the first game's alien levels anyway.

And Crysis 1 on consoles looks a lot worse than Crysis 2 does. I would not be surprised if the made a tradeoff and disabled TOD in favor of other effects.

s_mirage

so... the issue I'm having is that when I try to play this on my HDTV it defaults to 24 hz whether I play at 1080p or 720p.

Five years and they still haven't added a refresh rate option? Can someone please explain why such an obviously talented team has just ignored a known and assumedly simple to fix problem for so long?

I have an i5-750 and I feel I need to overclock it just to get decent performance. I know it isn't my 7970 GE mucking things up.

Damian.

Banned
Five years and they still haven't added a refresh rate option? Can someone please explain why such an obviously talented team has just ignored a known and assumedly simple to fix problem for so long?

Absolutely ridiculous and on ME3 lack of controller support levels of absurdity.

vspeed

Neo Member
With GTX 680 SLI's anyway...may work for 580's and higher too...

Set everything to Very High
Set Objects to High
Set Motion Blur to Low
Set SMAA to 1X

Yields constant 60FPS, only a small lack of detail on very far away objects only detectable in side by side screenshot comparisons..no drop in frame rate at all after using above settings
About the only thing missing in my example screenshot below is the ladder/lattice work inside the tower...big deal...for 10 FPS more and a constant 60 I'll let it slide :)

First - Objects High, Everything Else Very High, Low Motion Blur, SMAA 1X Low, Vsync ON Constant 60 FPS

online photo sharing

Second Objects Very High yet sacrificing FPS to 50 FPS drops

photo sharing sites

Smokey

So I ran Crysis 3 at 5760x1080 everything on High, 2x SMAA..VRAM got up to 2.5GB...The rain was killer but it looks so damn good. During the rainy bits it was around 20-25. Other parts of the 1st level it was mostly a consistent 30 fps. Was pretty surprised. 580s were getting a work out.

What my FRAPS logs say:

2013-02-19 19:31:08 - crysis3
Frames: 4222 - Time: 162178ms - Avg: 26.033 - Min: 10 - Max: 42

2013-02-19 19:34:53 - crysis3
Frames: 3342 - Time: 98359ms - Avg: 33.978 - Min: 24 - Max: 44

That was just the first stage. Stopped at the beginning of the 2nd.

NV Surround pic:

crysis32013-02-1920-03-46-36_zps17e0386c.png

Animator

Holy shit this game looks mind blowingly good. My jaw dropped when you walk out to new york from that shitty corridor shooter first level.

strata8

I'm not surprised they blame it on art reasons. The art has become universally terrible after the first game's alien levels anyway.

And Crysis 1 on consoles looks a lot worse than Crysis 2 does. I would not be surprised if the made a tradeoff and disabled TOD in favor of other effects.

Look, I love the original Crysis series, but I can't see how you can say the stock look of those games is anything but incredibly bland. Both Crysis 2 and 3 beat them in that aspect IMO.

The in game vsync is unusable because of the input lag. You'll have to use D3DOverrider.

another thing they haven't fixed.

still, I figured a simple way around my 24 hz problem. that only happened when I was mirroring over to my TV. if I disable my desktop monitor it launches on my tv at 60 hz. slightly annoying launching the game with the mouse on my desk given where things are with my monitor off, but no massive deal.

'driver' S3D output currently seems pointless. I was hoping that'd do framepacked output, but it puts the game in side by side just the same as picking side by side on my AMD card. on my (weaker) NVidia card 'driver' output is the only option. I hope they fix this, because I hate throwing away half the resolution. IQ of the game on my Nvidia card was better in 3D even though I was running on medium settings vs high.

MrBS

I'm having an uneven experience so far. With GTX590 quad SLI the FPS is over the place, would vary wildly between 60-120FPS with settings set to very high, except AA.

One issue is that during certain in game cutscenes (most of them) my FPS would drop into the teens and at one point actually hit 0.0, wow. I don't know what extra pixie dust post processing is going on in the cutscenes but GPU usage went down to 10% so it looks to be a CPU bound issue. I can't see it looking any better in those scenes so whatever your doing Crytek, stop it!

I just spent 15 minutes throwing random objects into the water and jumping up and down just to look at the water effects.

Game? What game? This is a graphical playground!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a third card but now that I have gave more thought I think I rather save up for 2 gtx 7xx cards and the Haswell cpu that's dropping this summer. What do you guys think, would a third 670 show it's worth with this new crop of graphical intense games?

Top Bottom