• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek haven't paid their employees in Bulgaria in 3 months

tuxfool

Banned
I can't believe this is happening again. I feel so sorry for the employees. Does Crytek have anything big in the works? They're licencing their tech for Prey and Star Citizen; is HUNT still in the works?

Crytek Black Sea's MOBA, Arena of Fate, was announced shortly after their first public troubled period back in 2014, but apparently its creative director left in September.

They're making VR games for Sony and Oculus. However the engine should be available to teams with the capacity to handle it. I know that 50% of the engine has been rewritten in SC and I doubt Prey uses vanilla either.

What I don't understand is why this developer in particular thinks it is OK with not paying people. They have done this on multiple occasions.

vaporeon

Моите хора.... ;_;
Awful to hear this. Going 3 months without pay can be brutal in Bulgaria.

borges

Banned
Sad. I cant imagine how horrible is not get your payment, specially now in Christmas and new eve. Best for all Crytek employees.

Justinh

I really thought this was an old thread. Didn't this already happen once

Same here. I thought this was just a bump. I'm pretty sure this has happened more than once before. This shit is sad...

I feel terrible for those who aren't getting paid.
. They had to make a dumbed-down version of Crysis, which neither console nor PC players enjoyed and ended up selling less across PC, Xbox, and PS3 than Crysis 1 did on PC alone.

Yeah. I loved Crysis on PC, but the console version of Crysis 1 was just... it didn't feel right and I thought it was terrible.

Geeze, I can't imagine working every day for that long without any paycheck. I hope they'll eventually be able to get their salries.

If this hurts the development of the CryEngine, can this further damage Star Citizen's troubled development?

Ryse can't be worth much, that's not going to save the company if they really are in trouble.

Microsoft has been all about closing down studios these past few years, why would they acquire Crytek?

Purchase of a renowned studio and IP stable for peanuts. You're right that it's be surprising given the precedent they've set for closing studios, but MS are hurting for new talent.

Halo-Gears-Timesplitters also sounds like a delightful cycle.

Ryse can't be worth much, that's not going to save the company if they really are in trouble.

Microsoft has been all about closing down studios these past few years, why would they acquire Crytek?
not enough to save the company, but enough to pay the employes

Kayhan

Few sad fates of developers makes me as sad as Crytek.

Makes a first-person shooter in Crysis that is at least a generation ahead of anyone else.

Proceeds to throw it all away with the direction they took for Crysis 2 and Crysis yet completely unable to admit they were wrong.

Unfathomable.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guess their big engine licensing push fell flat on it's face.

Not surprising, every 3rd party that's used it has had nothing but bad things to say.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a "Crytek hasn't paid X employees in 3 months" thread pops up quite a lot. Why always 3 months too? Is that like the magic number of months before people care?

I assume Bulgaria has an average salary on the lower end on the scale compared to the rest of Europe and they're the ones they can't afford to pay?

EDIT: Just seen the comment above saying it is apparently more widespread.

surely they should be able to? The poor employees being treated like absolute slaves. This is so disgusting; you want to call for a boycott of their games but... then they might never get any money.

krang

Sell MS the Ryse IP if they still want it and pay some people.

I know this is off-topic, but I'm really disappointed nothing happened with a Ryse sequel. A bit more time baking the combat and it could be an incredible series.

I hope Microsoft buy Crytek, pay some wages, and get them to work on Ryse 2. Although I assume if they did that then Crytek would be downsized to a single studio.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Sell MS the Ryse IP if they still want it and pay some people.

Bear with me, because I haven't played Ryse, but why would Microsoft even need the Ryse IP? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ryse just a fairly standard story in Ancient Rome? It's not like the IP brings any notable unique concepts or characters, like the animus in assassin's creed, the cordyceps in the last of us or the master chief in halo.

If Microsoft wanted to, they could easily make their own original series set in Ancient Rome. There's absolutely nothing stopping them. And I'm pretty sure a big E3 debut and microsoft's marketing machine carry far more weight than a dormant property like Ryse does, so why would they need the IP? Again, I haven't played Ryse, so I may be oblivious to some crazy "it was aliens all along" ending, but I watched a few streams and read reviews and Gaf impressions, and I can't think of anything unique that would necessitate the purchase of the IP.

And I'm pretty sure Microsoft are well aware of what their studios can create without facing legal repercussions, so it always seemed strange to me that people implied that Crytek owning the Ryse IP was the reason Microsoft couldn't make some game set in Ancient Rome. Let's face it, if they're not making one right now, they either don't have the interest, or don't have the resources. The IP isn't the issue here.

Drencrom

How the fuck can they get away with this? Aren't employers legally obligated to pay their employees on time? Skipping 3 months of salaries is an extreme violation.

theWB27

Bear with me, because I haven't played Ryse, but why would Microsoft even need the Ryse IP? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ryse just a fairly standard story in Ancient Rome? It's not like the IP brings any notable unique concepts or characters, like the animus in assassin's creed, the cordyceps in the last of us or the master chief in halo.

If Microsoft wanted to, they could easily make their own original series set in Ancient Rome. There's absolutely nothing stopping them. And I'm pretty sure a big E3 debut and microsoft's marketing machine carry far more weight than a dormant property like Ryse does, so why would they need the IP? Again, I haven't played Ryse, so I may be oblivious to some crazy "it was aliens all along" ending, but I watched a few streams and read reviews and Gaf impressions, and I can't think of anything unique that would necessitate the purchase of the IP.

And I'm pretty sure Microsoft are well aware of what their studios can create without facing legal repercussions, so it always seemed strange to me that people implied that Crytek owning the Ryse IP was the reason Microsoft couldn't make some game set in Ancient Rome. Let's face it, if they're not making one right now, they either don't have the interest, or don't have the resources. The IP isn't the issue here.

I think people want Micro to buy the IP because it's already familiar. That matters. I mean...they could've made their own Gears clone instead of buying the IP from Epic.

Microsoft has a great marketing machine, but can you imagine the amount of forum talk and interviews would include talk about Ryse 1 and what happened with that instead of being able to introduce a sequel. (At the time they wanted to.)

Above that...some don't always need something to reinvent the wheel. Ryse had its bright spots and there was potential for it turn into a really good franchise for Micro.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Seems like a "Crytek hasn't paid X employees in 3 months" thread pops up quite a lot. Why always 3 months too? Is that like the magic number of months before people care?

I guess 3 months is about the time you realize "I cant pay my fucking rent".

Crytek have had so many issues, its sad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ouch, this smells of bankrupcty, unless they are bought dirtcheap by another company

Hardly anyone uses Cryengine, though. So I mean... that sale wouldn't be beneficial for folks (besides Amazon who forked it?) that would be attempting to get them for their engine. And their IP's aren't super successful. Didn't Crysis 2-3 have a decline from the first?

Xater

One anonymous Crytek employee suggests it's company wide, and says it's 6 months

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...k_hasnt_paid_me_or_my_coworkers_for_almost_6/

Edit: Why would MS care about acquiring the Timesplitters IP when they aren't even using the Perfect Dark IP that they already own?

Yeah sounds like it's wide spread. Just awful. Also if you are at the German office stop working if you are not getting payed. Why would you continue? Your rights are being violated.

Q8D3vil

I feel that this is definitely the end of crytek. I would have been definitely sad if it happened 8 years ago, but right now they feel like a one hit wonder.

Bluth54

I think people want Micro to buy the IP because it's already familiar. That matters. I mean...they could've made their own Gears clone instead of buying the IP from Epic.

Microsoft has a great marketing machine, but can you imagine the amount of forum talk and interviews would include talk about Ryse 1 and what happened with that instead of being able to introduce a sequel. (At the time they wanted to.)

Above that...some don't always need something to reinvent the wheel. Ryse had its bright spots and there was potential for it turn into a really good franchise for Micro.

I really don't think the Ryse IP is that well known amount gamers besides maybe hardcore Xbox fans who bought an Xbox One on day one. I seriously doubt the IP is worth that much.

Personally, I want more Ryse as it fulfilled a desire for a bombastic game in a historic setting. Presently the only series which tackles historic settings and civilizations in an action game is the Assassins Creed series, and even then it doesn't really carve that out all that well. There's vacant space for a cinematic game in historic setting, and Ryse scratched that itch so well. I'd love more of that linear/Uncharted-esque setup, in an Egyptian, Ancient China, Mongol, or Viking period.

krang

Personally, I want more Ryse as it fulfilled a desire for a bombastic game in a historic setting. Presently the only series which tackles historic settings and civilizations in an action game is the Assassins Creed series, and even then it doesn't really carve that out all that well. There's vacant space for a cinematic game in historic setting, and Ryse scratched that itch so well. I'd love more of that linear/Uncharted-esque setup, in an Egyptian, Ancient China, Mongol, or Viking period.

It's also good because it DOESN'T have a contrived excuse for being set in a non-modern time period.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Yes, but this isn't gears. Not even close. Gears is a huge franchise for Microsoft, whereas Ryse is by now mostly forgotten. This isn't really comparable at all.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that a Microsoft game set in Ancient Rome would get a negative reception somehow because it's not a sequel to Ryse? I'm sure Ryse has its fans, but I'm also pretty sure most of those fans were mostly interested in it due to the setting being appealing. I really doubt there'd be much anger about an amazing game set in Ancient Rome just because it wasn't officially a sequel to Ryse. After all, any game is better than no game, right?

And are you saying that Microsoft wanted to make a sequel to it? If so, why isn't it happening? They don't need the Ryse IP to make a game set in Ancient Rome, so I don't really buy that excuse.

And again, there's nothing holding them back from making their own game set in Ancient Rome. Maybe Ryse was a good game, but Microsoft not owning the IP is not the reason they're not making a game set in Ancient Rome. There are obviously other reasons for it, so bringing up the possibility of Microsoft buying the IP in Crytek threads is a little silly.

It's fine to want another game. What I don't see is why people insist on saying that Microsoft should buy the IP in all Crytek threads. Crytek obviously don't want to sell or can't agree on terms with anyone if anyone's even interested. And like I said, the Ryse IP alone is not the reason Microsoft cant make a similar game if they want to.

Top Bottom