• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek haven't paid their employees in Bulgaria in 3 months

krang

Yes, but this isn't gears. Not even close. Gears is a huge franchise for Microsoft, whereas Ryse is by now mostly forgotten. This isn't really comparable at all.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that a Microsoft game set in Ancient Rome would get a negative reception somehow because it's not a sequel to Ryse? I'm sure Ryse has its fans, but I'm also pretty sure most of those fans were mostly interested in it due to the setting being appealing. I really doubt there'd be much anger about an amazing game set in Ancient Rome just because it wasn't officially a sequel to Ryse. After all, any game is better than no game, right?

And are you saying that Microsoft wanted to make a sequel to it? If so, why isn't it happening? They don't need the Ryse IP to make a game set in Ancient Rome, so I don't really buy that excuse.

And again, there's nothing holding them back from making their own game set in Ancient Rome. Maybe Ryse was a good game, but Microsoft not owning the IP is not the reason they're not making a game set in Ancient Rome. There are obviously other reasons for it, so bringing up the possibility of Microsoft buying the IP in Crytek threads is a little silly.

While it's clearly no guarantee of success, a sequel shows a confidence in the brand that might turn the heads of people unfamiliar.

Also Ryse is a short, snappy, catchy name.

dr_rus

Warface actually found an audience in Russia.

It is the largest revenue generating game for Mail.Ru and still getting regular content updates. Not all of it has been a failure.

This doesn't say much really as Mail.Ru games are mostly crap. With the latest economy changes I'd imagine that this largest revenue also got two times smaller when counted in Euros - which is what CryTek is doing I think.

1 - Sell the Ryse IP to MS
2 - Sign Ryse 2 sequel up
3 - Put Ryse on DWG first and later closer to Ryse 2 release on GWG
4 - Pay your goddamn employees.

theWB27

Yes, but this isn't gears. Not even close. Gears is a huge franchise for Microsoft, whereas Ryse is by now mostly forgotten. This isn't really comparable at all.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that a Microsoft game set in Ancient Rome would get a negative reception somehow because it's not a sequel to Ryse? I'm sure Ryse has its fans, but I'm also pretty sure most of those fans were mostly interested in it due to the setting being appealing. I really doubt there'd be much anger about an amazing game set in Ancient Rome just because it wasn't officially a sequel to Ryse. After all, any game is better than no game, right?

And are you saying that Microsoft wanted to make a sequel to it? If so, why isn't it happening? They don't need the Ryse IP to make a game set in Ancient Rome, so I don't really buy that excuse.

And again, there's nothing holding them back from making their own game set in Ancient Rome. Maybe Ryse was a good game, but Microsoft not owning the IP is not the reason they're not making a game set in Ancient Rome. There are obviously other reasons for it, so bringing up the possibility of Microsoft buying the IP in Crytek threads is a little silly.

It's fine to want another game. What I don't see is why people insist on saying that Microsoft should buy the IP in all Crytek threads. Crytek obviously don't want to sell or can't agree on terms with anyone if anyone's even interested. And like I said, the Ryse IP alone is not the reason Microsoft cant make a similar game if they want to.

Same thing applies. The size of the IP isn't the point.

I don't know how you got anger out of that. I'm simply talking where discussion points would be. What happened between them and Crytek would be one of those.

I'd imagine building a studio and getting tech is a big obstacle when it comes to their own version. Hence why they wanted to contract Crytek to do so.

You can believe whatever you want. But the deal with Crytek fell through. Another game wasn't made and we haven't heard a hint of Microsoft making anything close to this. So...I don't think it's far fetched that not owning the IP is a big reason Micro hasn't made their own version. It isn't the sole reason...but it's one of the most obvious. Sequels (established names/titles) are pretty important in this industry.

I really don't think the Ryse IP is that well known amount gamers besides maybe hardcore Xbox fans who bought an Xbox One on day one. I seriously doubt the IP is worth that much.

I added, at the time, because Ryse did have a big enough name that it would've been better to market it as a sequel.

Oreoleo

Very disappointing to think how mismanaged Crytek has been. In 2007 they had everything a studio needed, a successful new IP and powerful in-house engine and tools to license to other devs and they weren't able to leverage any of it. I really feel for the devs being affected here. Things could have been so, so different for Crytek.

One anonymous Crytek employee suggests it's company wide, and says it's 6 months

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...k_hasnt_paid_me_or_my_coworkers_for_almost_6/

Edit: Why would MS care about acquiring the Timesplitters IP when they aren't even using the Perfect Dark IP that they already own?
I know someone that works in Frankfurt and afaik he has always been paid. That wouldn't fly here in Germany. Can't say anything about other offices though.

Prediction: Amazon to buy Crytek by Q4 2017. Studio and tech will be absorbed under Amazon Games brand.
I don't think that makes sense seeing that they bailed them out and are free to use and modify the Engine. If anything they open an Office in Frankfurt and hire engineers from Crytek. Much like Star Citizen did.

Sydle

Doesn't seem likely MS would even want "Ryse" these days, let alone pay millions for such a weak brand name.

Yeah, seems that ship sailed unless they believed Crytek could significantly improve the sequel over the shortcomings of the original.

I saw a post about this on imgur a few hours ago.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5S2ZX

CEZ1wES.jpg

got near a quarter of a million views and several hundred comments.

Here's the reddit page for the imgur post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...k_hasnt_paid_me_or_my_coworkers_for_almost_6/

has over 11k points and hundreds of thousands of views and hundreds of comments also.

MrToast

Whats the website called that allows employees to anonymously talk about their employers? I'd like to see everything being said, because how in the hell is this actually legal.

It's sad how far Crytek has fallen since the original Far Cry and Crysis. Back then, they were the shit.

Another EA casualty, perhaps? Not that they aren't at least partially responsible for their fate... after all, they haven't worked with EA in quite some time.

You can't blame any of this on EA. Crytek are entirely responsible for their own demise.

Oreoleo

Maldo had a texture pack for... Crysis 2? It was pretty widely used so maybe it drew their attention.

Dang, we got some heavy hitters on GAF. Didn't realize Maldo posted here. I remember using the Cuban config on Crysis 1 for years before finding out he posts here as well!

I saw a post about this on imgur a few hours ago.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5S2ZX

CEZ1wES.jpg

got near a quarter of a million views and several hundred comments.

Here's the reddit page for the imgur post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...k_hasnt_paid_me_or_my_coworkers_for_almost_6/

has over 11k points and hundreds of thousands of views and hundreds of comments also.

I don't even understand how something like this happens for 6 months. Are people in gaming industry completely uninformed about labor laws and everything related to it? Maybe it's because many in gaming industry are coming from freelance backgrounds where they got used to being abused with long hours and late pays. It's really strange how that person is asking for help on imgur, why aren't they taking their contract and talking to a lawyer and appropriate authorities instead. Maybe they are semi-illegal workers, who's contract says they are part time or whatever, and get paid full salary in cash to hide from tax and such.

I don't even understand how something like this happens for 6 months. Are people in gaming industry completely uninformed about labor laws and everything related to it? Maybe it's because many in gaming industry are coming from freelance backgrounds where they got used to being abused with long hours and late pays. It's really strange how that person is asking for help on imgur, why aren't they taking their contract and talking to a lawyer and appropriate authorities instead. Maybe they are semi-illegal workers, who's contract says they are part time or whatever, and get paid full salary in cash to hide from tax and such.

What your saying is like what 90% of the comments are about. Dude has no idea. Completely clueless. I'd been on the phone with a lawyer after the second missed pay check and would have bounced somewhere else. But six months!? thats half a damn year with no pay.

Aint no way in HELL i'd stick around any job without pay for that long.

krang

What your saying is like what 90% of the comments are about. Dude has no idea. Completely clueless. I'd been on the phone with a lawyer after the second missed pay check and would have bounced somewhere else. But six months!? thats half a damn year with no pay.

Aint no way in HELL i'd stick around any job without pay for that long.

Yeah that seems completely alien to me. Loyal to a fault, perhaps.

Ushay

Ryse could have been a great series, ended up being terrible. Too bad, I hope these employees make it out ok.

Jito

Banned
Sell MS the Ryse IP if they still want it and pay some people.

I'm sure MS will be bending over backwards for a generic Roman era brawler IP, they could make up their own and call it something else without even using the Ryse branding.

Well done though Crytek, this is what happens when you stop making actual games and invest in F2P titles that aren't even good.

Xadjim

Banned
If it's a few days late, it is 100% not quick enough.

while that is true, its not like the threads all sound like. they pay but not perfectly on time. Still not okay though but not as bad as all these threadtitles make it.

I remember working for a chemical company and sometimes getting my payment a month to late.... that was horrible

Head.spawn

-Sell Ryse to MS, who are likely the only company willing to buy, fund and develop a game with the IP.

-Release Arena of Fate already. I feel like the hold up is on the publishers end of things, because the game was really solid when I played the beta over a year ago... feels like longer. They could release it to open-beta and start generating actual money instead of nothing.

-Maybe jump on the remaster bandwagon and do a Crysis Collection.

I feel like the only thing they've done lately was that weird Amazon move where they sold them their engine to modify and they released it for free*.

tuxfool

Banned
Has anyone on this planet with some credibility actually verified this?

Nope and there are seemingly conflicts in all the separate stories, even outright denials as seen in the tweets above. It would be great to have some more info from more credible places. At the moment it is just a rumor swirl of different sources.

BibiMaghoo

I'd have to walk, I wouldn't be able to carry on three months without being paid. Fairplay to those who have stuck it out.

Assuming it's true.

speedomodel

Bear with me, because I haven't played Ryse, but why would Microsoft even need the Ryse IP? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ryse just a fairly standard story in Ancient Rome? It's not like the IP brings any notable unique concepts or characters, like the animus in assassin's creed, the cordyceps in the last of us or the master chief in halo.

If Microsoft wanted to, they could easily make their own original series set in Ancient Rome. There's absolutely nothing stopping them. And I'm pretty sure a big E3 debut and microsoft's marketing machine carry far more weight than a dormant property like Ryse does, so why would they need the IP? Again, I haven't played Ryse, so I may be oblivious to some crazy "it was aliens all along" ending, but I watched a few streams and read reviews and Gaf impressions, and I can't think of anything unique that would necessitate the purchase of the IP.

And I'm pretty sure Microsoft are well aware of what their studios can create without facing legal repercussions, so it always seemed strange to me that people implied that Crytek owning the Ryse IP was the reason Microsoft couldn't make some game set in Ancient Rome. Let's face it, if they're not making one right now, they either don't have the interest, or don't have the resources. The IP isn't the issue here.
The topic of MS buying the Ryse IP comes up often, because MS actually WANTED to make a sequel but Crytek played hardball and nothing happened with it. So the interest from MS is clearly there.

Also, Ryse had an excellent story, fun gameplay and fantastic visuals. Many would love to see them take the foundation the first laid and expand on it.

Has anyone on this planet with some credibility actually verified this?
Let's Play Video Games has a source confirming OP's claim that the Bulgarian studio hasn't been paid for three months. The "unpaid for six months in Frankfurt" claim is looking increasingly dubious, but either way it's clear that Crytek is in major trouble.

thuway

Man this industry can be toxic. For a medium designed for absolute fun this thing also has a dark and ugly machine like atmosphere.

It's fine to want another game. What I don't see is why people insist on saying that Microsoft should buy the IP in all Crytek threads. Crytek obviously don't want to sell or can't agree on terms with anyone if anyone's even interested. And like I said, the Ryse IP alone is not the reason Microsoft cant make a similar game if they want to.

Get ready for some depressing shit: Ryse has been Microsoft's most successful new AAA IP launch this generation. Not Sunset Overdrive. Ryse.

Top Bottom