• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Revolt Nintendo Direct - May 11th 20:30 JST

Dingens

"I wanted a Culdcept amiibo, but unfortunately, no dice."

not sure if 1/10 or 10/10...

is the guy who made the art for this by any chance the same one who made code of princess? the blond girl from the trailer bears a striking resemblance to the code of princes heroin

@MUWANdo

Banned
is the guy who made the art for this by any chance the same one who made code of princess? the blond girl from the trailer bears a striking resemblance to the code of princes heroin

That's Kinu Nishimura (a lady) and yeah, she did both those games. She used to work at Capcom and did a lot of the promo art and design for various Street Fighter games, the Dungeons & Dragons arcade brawlers, etc.

shaowebb

The character and sprite art has only gone uphill since abandoning the look of Saga IMO. The game is better with cute sprites on the board and the new art style.
Here are some characters set to appear in Culdcept Revolt.
JWhHANL.jpg

shaowebb

Its the Final COUNTDOOOOOWN!

Woo! Less than 24hours remain till we see something on this game. Tomorrow at 7:30 am est this goes down and we'll see more on this game. One way or another I will be playing this. Really interested to know if its gonna use Amiibos.

Kremzeek

Speak for yourself. ANY kind of modern Culdcept in the west I have been waiting for. Most of all on 3DS.

I've loved Culdcept on PS2 & 360, and I've been itching for a new one.

A new Culdcept where I don't feel like the AI cheats at dice rolls would be good too :p

shaowebb

Oh wow this looks amazing. Direct was mainly a full game breakdown on how to play with intervals of new cards shown off for us veterans to the series. The menus are identical to those found in Culdcept 3ds so theres no way to get lost. This means the Culdcept Central stuff on how to play will carry you through this game should it fail to localize again. Okay that stuff aside, other than the new cards I caught several other new things from that video.

• Base dice rolls now can go up to 12 standard. Most times it was 8. Small difference but the two dice could help a lot since some long boards could leave you desperately hoping to reach towers or go broke.
  • They added GP so you can use a card shop. Depending on the type of pack you buy you seem to get only randoms of that card type or color. This is cool. before in 3DS they added a lotto where the buy in was other cards and your cards chosen impacted what you got back. This new setup is much better. Here's hoping the card lotto is still an option though as it was very useful.
  • Skill point cards. We've had cards we could use a territory ability to evolve before but this seems different. It looks like you play the card and the more you play it the more SP it earns until eventually you can go somewhere and evolve it for permanent usage in your deck instead of just functioning like in the past where you pay during a match to evolve. It looked like you could choose the element it evolved to and that it had multiple evolution trees to ascend to like Puzzle and Dragons. Likely why the card shown was a Dragon if thats the inspiration for this. We now have an Eevee.
  • Mother fucking KAISER PENGUIN!
h39O15H.gif

EDIT: HOLY SHIT YOU CAN HAVE A HAND SIZE OF 10 NOW!

shaowebb

WHOA! Big change folks. As it turns out, from the translations appearing on this on Culdcept Central this game is getting rid of neighboring creature bonuses to strength in battle!

In every Culdcept since the beginning if you had a creature of your own next to the place of battle you would get +10 to your strength in battle as a neighboring creature bonus. Many times folks have depended on this bonus to setup ways to defend or invade. Now it seems to be gone. That means defending with first attack creatures got trickier and attacking things got tougher too.

It also sounds like they are changing when you can use the territory abilities of a card on the board. Before you had to hit a Tower or walk by them to be allowed to use territory abilities (that or cast Telegnosis). Now though it sounds like thats changing too. Not certain if this means permanent ability to select any creatures territory options or if it means no longer able to select territory options via landing on a tower. Just know that this major function is also shaking up. I'll try to get more on this from the boards and post it here later on. Since we no longer have Towers but "Gates" it may be related to that aesthetic change somehow.

Plus it sounds like the conditions for having a hand size of 10 may be a special thing or something. I'm not certain...we're using google translates till the japanese speaking members of the board can join in on this stuff.

Culdcept Revolt is looking to be the biggest shakeup in the games meta structure since it they got rid of card species requirements for the Dreamcast/PS2 titles.

EDIT:

New trailer with Cepko Culd announcing again. NEW CARDS!

DOUBLE EDIT:

Whoa! There's a QR code up on the site that takes you to the eshop. Is this to preorder digitally or does this net me a demo?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ay3j/trial/index.html

If anyone can tell me what this is it'd be appreciated. If its a demo I'll play through and update with gameplay changes and card stuff as I play through them to see what they do.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Whoa! There's a QR code up on the site that takes you to the eshop. Is this to preorder digitally or does this net me a demo?

If anyone can tell me what this is it'd be appreciated. If its a demo I'll play through and update with gameplay changes and card stuff as I play through them to see what they do.
it will link you to the game page on eshop, and you have to pre-purchase (not sure if need to pre-load the game or not) to get the start dash version. alternatively, you can claim the start dash version for 500 platinum points from my nintendo page
https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/b3119f42455a77ac
dunno why they decided to limit the demo, instead of making it freely available. i guess because the save game is transferable?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
WHOA! Big change folks. As it turns out, from the translations appearing on this on Culdcept Central this game is getting rid of neighboring creature bonuses to strength in battle!

In every Culdcept since the beginning if you had a creature of your own next to the place of battle you would get +10 to your strength in battle as a neighboring creature bonus. Many times folks have depended on this bonus to setup ways to defend or invade. Now it seems to be gone. That means defending with first attack creatures got trickier and attacking things got tougher too.

It also sounds like they are changing when you can use the territory abilities of a card on the board. Before you had to hit a Tower or walk by them to be allowed to use territory abilities (that or cast Telegnosis). Now though it sounds like thats changing too. Not certain if this means permanent ability to select any creatures territory options or if it means no longer able to select territory options via landing on a tower. Just know that this major function is also shaking up. I'll try to get more on this from the boards and post it here later on. Since we no longer have Towers but "Gates" it may be related to that aesthetic change somehow.

Plus it sounds like the conditions for having a hand size of 10 may be a special thing or something. I'm not certain...we're using google translates till the japanese speaking members of the board can join in on this stuff.

Culdcept Revolt is looking to be the biggest shakeup in the games meta structure since it they got rid of card species requirements for the Dreamcast/PS2 titles.

EDIT:

New trailer with Cepko Culd announcing again. NEW CARDS!

DOUBLE EDIT:

it sounds like they are making the game for filthy casuals (ノ-_-)ノ~┻━┻

with the semi sarcasm aside will have to check out the original info later.

the removal of the adjacent bonus takes a layer of strategy away from deck building.

shaowebb

it sounds like they are making the game for filthy casuals (ノ-_-)ノ~┻━┻

with the semi sarcasm aside will have to check out the original info later.

the removal of the adjacent bonus takes a layer of strategy away from deck building.

You wont think they are making the game for "filthy casuals" when you read this. There are big reasons for the change up on neighboring ST bonuses and it namely seems to be territory related.

Here it is quoted from the man of Culdcept Central himself Andyman!
You can find the original post and thread here at Culdcept Central. The best place to get info and help on Culdcept.

Andyman said:
Here is a summary of some of the gameplay changes and new features in Culdcept Revolt. It's going to take awhile to get our heads completely around all of these, but I'm super-excited about all the new strategies and deck ideas they create! Some of these might not be 100% accurate, because they're translated from the original Japanese.
  • The castle is no more. You "lap" by passing the last gate (fort). This probably also means there are spells that will mark your gates passed and mark opposing Cepters' gates unpassed.
  • Likewise, the win condition has changed - you now win by passing the next gate. No more desperate racing back to the castle!
  • You now roll 2 dice instead of 1. Each die is 1-5 + C (the Culdcept symbol). C is zero if on one die - if you roll 2 C's, you've rolled a 12. The dice are apparently the same for all maps. We also know that Fly is in the game, but since Fly used to allow you to roll 2 dice, we don't know what Fly's new effect is yet.
  • The last-phase Territory command structure has changed. You can now use these on any of your creatures at any time (Telegnosis-style), but when you do, the target creature will "sit" (your creatures will "stand" if you land on a gate - completing a "lap" probably resets them also). Some spells will also "stand" a creature, allowing it to be used again before its normal reset.
  • Creatures now recover a uniform 10HP per "lap". This helps low-MHP creatures a lot compared to previous games, and nerfs high-MHP creatures' recovery a bit.
  • You no longer get a +10ST bonus in battle per neighboring allied creature. This is probably due to the Territory command structure change, for balance.
  • Multi-area maps are no more. All maps are single-area now. This makes symbols easier to use (and more effective), and changes the mass-effect spell landscape quite a bit!
  • You can hold up to 10 cards in hand now.
  • The game has roughly 400 cards, and roughly 200 of them are new. Many of the existing cards feature new artwork (which looks completely awesome, from what I've seen so far). They've added at least 2 new artists to the mix as well.
  • It features all-new character artwork by renowned artist Kinu Nishimura.
  • The music is composed by Kenji Ito, who also composed the music for Culdcept II and much of the music for Culdcept Saga.
  • According to akwan_tarot, the demo is already available. To get it, you need to either pre-purchase the game, or spend 500 silver gift points from your "My Nintendo" account.

You can get a good sense of all the new awesomeness by watching the two videos here. It's going to take me awhile to update the Preview Card List with all the new card info shown in them!

I've had matches where everyone was at goal and racing to hit the castle first that I've lost as recently as this week. I'm glad to see hitting the next fort works now. Also holy shit at having PERMANENT Telegnosis! It sits your creature down though...I wonder if thats like "summoning sickness" for a turn or till you hit a fort or something? Like maybe no tolls till they stand? Gonna need more info on that soon but that changes things a LOT on leveling and messing with creatures. I invade a lot so this may help my aggressive style. Considering how easy it'll be to level and move stuff cutting the bonus was likely necessary. To compensate you can now hold 10 cards instead of 7 which is pretty kick ass.

If anything the game sounds more aggressive with these changes. Leveling, and invading will be far more rampant and Gates working as castles is big. Plus since they can't divide any stages using symbols means that money will roll in faster too! Its gonna be faster getting that money and spending it now...game is gonna get into throwdowns and battling fast at that rate.

Sounds great!

Marcus

The character and sprite art has only gone uphill since abandoning the look of Saga IMO. The game is better with cute sprites on the board and the new art style.
Here are some characters set to appear in Culdcept Revolt.

good ole Kinu Nishimura

casiopao

Hiks the lackbof english translation makes me sad. And to think that i had the first 3ds culdcept Dl to my jp 3ds and i had zero idea to play the game here.TT

Parakeetman

You wont think they are making the game for "filthy casuals" when you read this. There are big reasons for the change up on neighboring ST bonuses and it namely seems to be territory related.

Here it is quoted from the man of Culdcept Central himself Andyman!
You can find the original post and thread here at Culdcept Central. The best place to get info and help on Culdcept.

I've had matches where everyone was at goal and racing to hit the castle first that I've lost as recently as this week. I'm glad to see hitting the next fort works now. Also holy shit at having PERMANENT Telegnosis! It sits your creature down though...I wonder if thats like "summoning sickness" for a turn or till you hit a fort or something? Like maybe no tolls till they stand? Gonna need more info on that soon but that changes things a LOT on leveling and messing with creatures. I invade a lot so this may help my aggressive style. Considering how easy it'll be to level and move stuff cutting the bonus was likely necessary. To compensate you can now hold 10 cards instead of 7 which is pretty kick ass.

If anything the game sounds more aggressive with these changes. Leveling, and invading will be far more rampant and Gates working as castles is big. Plus since they can't divide any stages using symbols means that money will roll in faster too! Its gonna be faster getting that money and spending it now...game is gonna get into throwdowns and battling fast at that rate.

Sounds great!

That is some interestering news thanks for posting it as it does make things sound mire sensible with changes being done. ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Still have not had time to watch the vid for myself its around 20 mins right?

casiopao

Guys any website with translation or guide to help me play the last 3ds culdcept here? I had the game here but i am always stuck playing the game here
TT

edit: lol fuck i wrote a bunch of stuff that's actually wrong sorry

the down state creatures enter after being summoned/after having territory commands used basically just means they can't have territory commands used on them again until the next pass. everything else is the same. so really in the end the frequency with which you can use territory commands on a given creature is the same as before, you can just do it any time during that pass rather than exclusively after you've moved by that creature

Guys any website with translation or guide to help me play the last 3ds culdcept here? I had the game here but i am always stuck playing the game here
TT

What kind of help are you looking for? Rules? Menu translations? Culdcept Central's got a card list that should be a big help.

shaowebb

TT

What kind of help are you looking for? Rules? Menu translations? Culdcept Central's got a card list that should be a big help.

THIS.
I'm currently playing Culdcept 3ds and I dont speak japanese and thats pretty much all I need. Upper left option on the menu is quest mode and the order or options are pretty self explanatory...you can just click on them in order and you can see which is what. The only occassional thing you may wonder about is what sort of thing the gods did after someone lands on a shrine, but hell it puts a symbol over the head of the player that pretty well gives you an idea and half the japanese stuff will have things like an element symbol or number visible to give you a clue that they messed with symbol values or territories. Very very rarely have I ever not gotten the gist of something in this off of context clues. Its super well done on icons and english announcing to help you find cards on Culdcept centrals list or get the idea of what they did.

BTW did you get the DLC?
I made a post where at the end I detailed how to get it for Culdcept 3ds

Pretty much scan the QR code, and start clicking what I mention. You can have everything they came out with from the stages to cards that way.

shaowebb

More info coming in from Culdcept Central's akwon_Tarot in regards to the gameplay changes.

akwon_tarot said:
The "Turn Gain" is 19G + round number, so it's 20G on turn 1 and 29G on round 11. It's small but it works very well to prevent getting locked out from being able to play anything. It's also fairer to players who roll small dice or who are being blocked from collecting loop income.

The discard phase is moved to the end of your turn (instead of immediately when you draw a 7th card); you discard down to 6. The 10 card limit is mostly academic, since it's very rare to go that high. (If you have that many cards, you probably shouldn't be playing card draw effects anyway.)

Thats a major couple of things. Especially the particular manner in which having 10 cards works out. Up till now you draw then immediately went to discard phase is you had 7 cards. Now you can draw, and try to use up cards before the discard phase. This helps because many times you'd draw spells you wanted but couldn't keep because you needed to hang onto the particular creatures and equipment in your hand for something. Now you get an opportunity to use things up more easily before losing cards.

The turn gain thing sounds like permanent "Fairy Light" where in you get a small bit of gold till the goal every turn. This helps a lot IMO. Every 3 to 4 rounds you'd have around 100g that way. Some boards are long and I've over extended plenty in the past like at the priestesses temple in Culdcept PS2.

Du2andal

Banned
I adore Culdcept but have zero faith that Nintendo will bring it over to the U.S. Is there an easy way to region break a 3DS or will I be forced to buy a new 3ds off of play-asia? I did a bit of googling but it seems like the different options all have pretty specific firmware versions that they require. Who knows what firmware I would get buying a new 3DS today.

Parakeetman

I adore Culdcept but have zero faith that Nintendo will bring it over to the U.S. Is there an easy way to region break a 3DS or will I be forced to buy a new 3ds off of play-asia? I did a bit of googling but it seems like the different options all have pretty specific firmware versions that they require. Who knows what firmware I would get buying a new 3DS today.

Time to buy a N3DS and show Culdcept just how much you really love it. lol

casiopao

Sorry for late response here. I wanted to find about the rules and effect of card.

Some kind of tutorial on way to play the game is also welcome here as my only exposure with this franchise is only from manga.^~^

Z3M0G

I love strategy card games so that looks pretty sweet!

I expect most others will be pissed.

Culdcept is a turn-based strategy video game. It has drawn comparisons to other modern strategy titles, and also shares features with non-video games Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering. Wikipedia
Initial release date: October 30, 1997
Developers: Omiya soft, OmiyaSoft
Platforms: Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, Sega Saturn

IS THIS ON PSN???

<searches>

No...

Also seems like a guidebook has been announced, will include info on all the cards in the game as well as some Kinu illustrations. Tempting...

Sorry for late response here. I wanted to find about the rules and effect of card.

Some kind of tutorial on way to play the game is also welcome here as my only exposure with this franchise is only from manga.^~^

Can't really find a good guide, but the instruction manual for Saga is a good start. Do note that there are a few rule changes in Revolt compared to this, off the top of my head the major ones are there's no castle so laps are completed once all forts are reached, and territory commands can be issued from anywhere as long as the creature isn't in "down" status (which happens when you summon or use a territory command on a creature, and is removed once a lap is completed). Other than that, as mentioned, the Culdcept Central card list will also be a major asset.

shaowebb

Also seems like a guidebook has been announced, will include info on all the cards in the game as well as some Kinu illustrations. Tempting...

Oh man...I currently own EVERY major artbook from this series. The PS2 one, the Saga one that was combined with the DS and 3ds one, and I will definitely buy this one for Revolt. The artwork is sooooooooo good in these games. You got to watch which guides you get though. Some are majorly just tactics on maps and japanese comments on stuff so if you can't read japanese you wont get much for your money. The ones I bought were the art intensive collections.

This book

and The Culdcept Memorial Book

Soooooo good. The first one has so many of the cards blown up and larger than life its incredible. The art in this series, alongside of the music and everything really, is just a treasure.

Top Bottom