• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah I'm a big reader of it! It's a very good site indeed. I know they don't post many rumours but to be fair to me I've never really read any of their rumours before!

What was the last big rumour they ran which turned to be true?

Last one I can recall is early this year they said they heard iPhoto was coming to iPad and it got announced in March at the Apple press event. They don't make too many predictions though.

If they made a console they can't possible do a yearly upgrade right?

They don't do a yearly upgrade on everything. That is more a iOS device sort of thing. They haven't upgraded the Mac Pro since 2008 (expected to this year). And only update the Apple TV box every couple of years. They'll likely have done endless research on the game industry before even considering this, they'll know how the market works.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Even if they put out a console with a controller I'd be wary.

I can't imagine a meaningful console controller that would fit Apple design ethos. All apple products are intensely geometric. Ergonomic controllers have organic, non-geometric forms, something Apple has not done since 1st gen Airport Extreme.

dc89

Last one I can recall is early this year they said they heard iPhoto was coming to iPad and it got announced in March at the Apple press event. They don't make too many predictions though.

Yeah that's why I posted what I posted. My ignorance I guess. They are a good site though, anyone with any apple device should read it for the tips and how to's etc.

Dabanton

itunes is a horrible mess of a client compared to the other two.

Weren't they rumoured to be redesigning it for a relaunch this year?

yay, because I would just love to buy my video games from itunes.

The point was they all rely on the same delivery methods.

I browse, i see what i what, i pay and download.

And you'd probably being downloading through the app store not iTunes anyway..

Was all excited until I read:

Our sources also say that Apple’s television set will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console. The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls.

Since when did Valve become big on motion controls?

Derrick01

Banned
Even if they put out a console with a controller I'd be wary.

Of course, it depends on what they want to do with their console. If their goal is to truly appeal to everyone though then they'll need a controller. You are simply not going to get the experiences that sell on consoles on a touch and motion only device, it's impossible right now and it may always be impossible (no one wants to be exhausted in 30 minutes from doing everything in a modern game through motion, and the complex controls can't be properly copied on a touch screen).

But I think by going to Valve this proves they want it. Apple can design the hardware with Valve's help and guidance because they know gaming.

iamcenok

Not that I don't welcome more competition in the industry, because.. hey competition can lead to some good things.

But can the ecosystem support another player? I always thought 3 companies was a bit much to begin with.
Owns all 3 systems

A SteamBox that doesn't run on Windows would be pointless, so I'm not exactly sure how Valve and Apple would even cooperate on that.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2012 ought to coincide with E3, or at least be hold closely to it. Last year the WWDC was held June 6-10 in Moscone Center, San Francisco. E3 is held June 3-7 in Los Angeles. The Moscone Center has a Corporate Meeting planned for June 11-15, and it is sugged this if for WWDC. Other rumors has it that iPhone 5 will be unveiled at WWDC this year, so I wonder if this would be the best place to announce a video game console?

Intriguing rumors anyway, and if true it will probably send a massive shockwave through the industry. This would be equivalent to when Microsoft entered the interactive entertainment industry with Xbox. On different terms of course, but still huge.

watershed

Banned
If this is true my biggest worries would be price of hardware, user interface, and what kind of games would land on this device.

Mario007

Apple iConsole, now only for 1000 euros with downloadable games that are glorified version of free online jave games form 99 cent each. As a bonus each game that was successful on the consoles 10 years ago will also be available for 4 euros.

Expect a iConsole 2 next year.

Sources also indicate that Samsung is preparing a console, that will look surprisingly similar to the iConsole, but not quite.

if anyone could enter the console gaming market on name alone, it's apple.
I know everyone hates the use of these terms but...

Casual market overlap, buying on brand alone, definitely.

Core market, not so much. Unless they seriously invest in quality game development houses.

bomma_man

I dont believe it.

How are they going to do a "kinect like system" when everybody hates it, and MS prolly owns all the patents?

Beyond that, it would be a failure anyway since it sounds like a weak piece of crap.

Apple has never been a fit for the games business: Cornerstones of (core, console) gaming:

Lots of hardware losses, razor/blade model, hot, noisy, powerful hardware. Appealing to the younger male demographic.

Apple hates all of those things. Apple doesn't sell hardware they arent making a huge profit on, which is impossible if you want to play in the traditional console space. They also appeal to women first/

1) Nintendo

2) What's wrong with trying to broaden the audience?

3) Your post reads like a parody

Pyrokai

Is anyone else bugged that Apple wants to get into the console business so badly when they don't make their own games? I know Microsoft didn't make their own games either, but they formed/bought their own studios for first party development. And Sony did the same thing, unless my history is wrong. And Nintendo has always had its first party development. It just sorta bothers me that they want to get in so badly, if they indeed want to. Partnering with Valve still doesn't make Apple a game maker....just a company providing hardware.

Preparing to be torn apart in 3, 2, 1.......

if anyone could enter the console gaming market on name alone, it's apple.

I don't think anyone can launch a console just with their name. Apple will be stepping into a very different territory if they come into consoles. This isn't like the iPad or iPhone where you're dealing with devices that you may need your every day life. With those devices you may have multiple people in your family that need/want one. Gaming consoles aren't something that'd "needed" in any household. And it's certainly isn't something that your average mom or dad would be clamoring for.

They'd also be entering an industry that's very put off by high system prices, and they're known for jacking up the prices of their products to ridiculous levels. Coming in and releasing a $500-600 console (maybe more) isn't going to be met with the same enthusiasm as they get in those other markets.

And that's just the start of their problems. A bigger one may be the games, and specifically first party games.

P90

This will hurt Nintendo the least. A Nintendo-Apple-Steam joint venture would slay all. Doubt the team up would happen, though. Ooops. Should have read the OP more thoroughly.

DaBuddaDa

Thread title is misleading. The article clearly states it's a television with some game console-esque features built in. I guess you could call that an "Apple console" but that's being incredibly disingenuous.

I'm not sure how big the market is currently for an expensive, Apple branded HDTV after the masses upgraded to HD within only the past few years.

Is anyone else bugged that Apple wants to get into the console business so badly when they don't make their own games? I know Microsoft didn't make their own games either, but they formed/bought their own studios for first party development. And Sony did the same thing, unless my history is wrong. And Nintendo has always had its first party development. It just sorta bothers me that they want to get in so badly, if they indeed want to. Partnering with Valve still doesn't make Apple a game maker....just a company providing hardware.

We don't know shit yet

Pyrokai

We don't know shit yet

Well, yeah, I'm making assumptions based on the current iOS platform. Apple doesn't make games for iOS yet it is considered a legit game platform these days. I guess it's more similar to PC/Mac game development than console game development, and it strikes me as strange for them trying to bring that model to the console spectrum.

codhand

iPad retina for use as the Apple console's WiiU tablet interface. Competition does not want Apple to start opening its cash vault.

edgefusion

I'm guessing this game console is going to be more like a future Apple TV that's app/game enabled.

Where on Earth did you get this from? Just where? Apple have had a lot of success with games but they have made zero indication that they want to get into the console business let alone "so badly". Anyway they will be making their own games when they buy Valve. *trollface*

areal

I remember Jobs talking about the console market in the iPhone keynote. Back then it was "actually a little smaller than you think, not such a big market."

vyoQ6.png

What kind of niche in the gaming market is a Kinect feature built into an over-priced TV going to fill? I haven't exactly seen many people clambering for more motion controls and less Call of Duty. Obviously Apple will still have their legions of die hard fans who queue up annually to buy the same product over and over again, but that isn't going to start worrying Microsoft and Nintendo.

Apple would do better just sticking to supporting gaming on the iPad.

Well, yeah, I'm making assumptions based on the current iOS platform. Apple doesn't make games for iOS yet it is considered a legit game platform these days. I guess it's more similar to PC/Mac game development than console game development, and it strikes me as strange for them trying to bring that model to the console spectrum.

Yeah but this will be something completely new and by the rumors pretty revolutionairy.

I dont believe it.

How are they going to do a "kinect like system" when everybody hates it, and MS prolly owns all the patents?

Beyond that, it would be a failure anyway since it sounds like a weak piece of crap.

Apple has never been a fit for the games business: Cornerstones of (core, console) gaming:

Lots of hardware losses, razor/blade model, hot, noisy, powerful hardware. Appealing to the younger male demographic.

Apple hates all of those things. Apple doesn't sell hardware they arent making a huge profit on, which is impossible if you want to play in the traditional console space. They also appeal to women first/

None of that is true anymore. And Apple is a pretty popular brand with any demographic.

An Apple console would be DD only though. Apple is against the disc and packaged software, and that's a huge part of the game business.

This is some scary shit. Four major console players makes for a market that's far too crowded imo.

Why? Look at MS with RRoD and Sony with YLoD. People still stuck with them because there is a lack of options. If it happened in the car manufacturing industry would people continue buying and replacing the same car that breaks down? No, they'd jump ship and go to another manufacturer. MS, Sony and Nintendo will have to step up their game. I think it'd be a great thing.

JordanKZ

Apple product so... You'll have to buy one every year, it'll be insanely expensive and offer 69p games with micro transactions that make people wonder "oh man, £3 is so expensive for a game!"

Exactly what the industry doesn't need right now, if you ask me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've been calling an Apple/Nintendo partnership for years and I still think that is where the industry is headed.

I think it happens after Wii U.

I'm guessing this game console is going to be more like a future Apple TV that's app/game enabled.

Where on Earth did you get this from? Just where? Apple have had a lot of success with games but they have made zero indication that they want to get into the console business let alone "so badly". Anyway they will be making their own games when they buy Valve. *trollface*

But Valve is a privately owned company and I doubt Gabe would sell.
Oh, you were trolling...

Top Bottom