• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CultOfMac:Why the new Apple TV will kill your Xbox or Playstation(hint:Motion ctrl)

Teletraan1

Banned
Ignoring the article's hyperbole for a moment: who is this console for? It costs about as much as a ps3 does nowadays, and it has a smaller library and can do less things. It's not a budget console like the OUYA, and its tech is not on par with the latest stuff.

The people who drank the apple flavored kool aid in this cult. Your points could be used for most apple products outside of software for the phone. They have a pretty good ecosystem in that regard. You could buy a windows laptop with better specs for half the price of the comparable apple product and have a much larger library of software available to you. People still buy Macbooks. When people put brands above all else these are the strange consumer decisions that are made. They make no logical sense but at least they look cool.

Jamix012

Agree. Before the current gen came out, the tech journos wrote this gen would flop and would be the last console gen, but PS4 is on track to outsell PS2 as the highest selling console ever.

I'd like to have what you're smoking. Christ.

This is not going to happen. It's gonna have a fun time trying to beat PS1/Wii

Montresor

PS4's success proves nothing will ever kill Xbox or Playstation (meaning, nothing will kill people's demand for a hardcore home console).

I really don't see the games aspect of this device truly being what sells it to whatever consumers actually buy it. It seems a secondary benefit to owning the device.

Just like past Apple TVs, I think interoperability with other Apple devices (airplay, share app/itunes library) will be the biggest selling point to the majority of people who actually buy this.

The individuals who value iphones and ipads as media consumption devices are going to be less likely to view this as the main/first choice for viewing content/games simply because the convenience of a phone or tablet is among the main benefits to such devices. Kids and adults can play their games, watch their videos on their ipads in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, car etc. whereas this device will be limited to where its setup.

Unless Apple does something really interesting and useful on the TV side of things, I don't think the game aspects of the TV will blow up really. I mean I certainly could be wrong as its hard to predict what the market wants but it doesn't seem like Apples really doing anything that interesting with it quite yet.

SMattera

"I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily." - Gabe Newell

Don't doubt Apple.

Can you do a console-style FPS without dual sticks? Touchpad + tilt controls? I think it'll be interesting.

Troy

Banned
"I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily." - Gabe Newell

Don't doubt Apple.

Can you do a console-style FPS without dual sticks? Touchpad + tilt controls? I think it'll be interesting.

I don't automatically expect a late-to-the-party Apple to be all that compelling. Seeing the way they cluster-fucked Apple Music illustrates to me that even when they take years to enter a market, they can still fuck it up majorly.

Caronte

The people who drank the apple flavored kool aid in this cult. Your points could be used for most apple products outside of software for the phone. They have a pretty good ecosystem in that regard. You could buy a windows laptop with better specs for half the price of the comparable apple product and have a much larger library of software available to you. People still buy Macbooks. When people put brands above all else these are the strange consumer decisions that are made. They make no logical sense but at least they look cool.

Or they just want a Macbook.

Sell all your consoles, it's all over?

Well, while this will probably not be the thing that kills consoles or dedicated set-top boxes for high-end gaming, I'm sure this version of the Apple TV will be much more successful as the trojan horse for getting Apple in your livingroom.

Trojan

So many people are getting trolled by that headline. Don't think that Apple TV is ever being marketed as a replacement PS4. Apple doesn't care about that market and this device is not meant to replace a current gen console. Apple is only interested in using gaming as an extra carrot for the larger market of casual tech users.

Some of these kneejerk responses are hilarious.

What a cute article. Everyone and his grandma knows that if Apple is targeting any "gamers" at all with the new Apple TV, it's the casual market.

SMattera

The other thing I'm thinking about is launch games.

Has Apple been working with third party devs behind the scenes to get some for this thing?

I remember EA teased Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare on iOS a long time ago, but then nothing seemed to come of it. That would be an interesting semi-casual game for the Apple TV.

jacobeid

Banned
I don't doubt that the hardware/mindshare could be there to allow the Apple TV to become a gaming platform, but it sure as shit isn't going to happen until Apple actually cares enough to curate games on the storefront and not leave us with literally thousands of shovelware crap.

StevieP

Banned
What a cute article. Everyone and his grandma knows that if Apple is targeting any "gamers" at all with the new Apple TV, it's the casual market.

The casual market is orders of magnitude larger than us. It's tapping them that makes your console sell well. Without them, they peter out a lot quicker than you'd like.

That is if you can tap them. That's the tough part

I do love Apple products, but

images

Jesus christ

Replace 'L' with 'N' and we're nearly there.

Mesoian

It's amusing how angry some people are getting over this.

I gotta say, and someone who's been told about Apple's new secret controller that's been in the works for years, this is extraordinarily disappointing.

I expected something more than a fire stick.

The "cult of" thing is just a branding thing, guys.

a28ubxm.png

"Cult-o-media Corp".

I mean, yeah, it's a dumb gimmick, but people are acting like it killed their dog. They're just playing up to a perceived demographic, not unlike say, a forum "for gamers by gamers", etc.

Clickbait gonna clickbait.

I *do* think there's a still-vacant space that the Wii briefly occupied that could see a successor again, but the Wii required some serious killer-app software to take off the way it did. If it had supported 1080p and had best-in-class media-box support, Nintendo would've taken over the world (but it didn't).

Apple's likely to have all of those ingredients *except* for killer-app gaming software. I suspect they'll still do really well, but they won't be competing very directly with the XB1 or PS4 (and in fact high-end specialty devices generally don't get obliterated by lower-end broad-purpose devices - they may get eclipsed by their popularity but they don't actually have their own sales taken away).

The XB1 and PS4 at their current levels of success are quite well protected against something like the Apple TV or even against mobile gaming, but a lot of the *growth* in the next ten years will be in the latter sort of areas.

SMattera

I *do* think there's a still-vacant space that the Wii briefly occupied that could see a successor again, but the Wii required some serious killer-app software to take off the way it did. If it had supported 1080p and had best-in-class media-box support, Nintendo would've taken over the world (but it didn't).

Apple's likely to have all of those ingredients *except* for killer-app gaming software. I suspect they'll still do really well, but they won't be competing very directly with the XB1 or PS4 (and in fact high-end specialty devices generally don't get obliterated by lower-end broad-purpose devices - they may get eclipsed by their popularity but they don't actually have their own sales taken away).

The XB1 and PS4 at their current levels of success are quite well protected against something like the Apple TV or even against mobile gaming, but a lot of the *growth* in the next ten years will be in the latter sort of areas.

Read up on the concept of the innovator's dilemma.

I think both Sony and Microsoft saw this coming years ago. Hence the "TV, TV, TV" focus of the Xbox One and the bet on streaming by Sony. Maybe one day, PlayStation will be a streaming app you run on your Apple TV.

Read up on the concept of the innovator's dilemma.

I think both Sony and Microsoft saw this coming years ago. Hence the "TV, TV, TV" focus of the Xbox One and the bet on streaming by Sony. Maybe one day, PlayStation will be a streaming app you run on your Apple TV.

I'm familiar with the innovator's dilemma and disruption theory, yeah - it's just that when disruption from below happens, it (usually) doesn't kill the existing high-end market so much as it captures a ton of untapped growth and kills the high-end market's eventual future growth. I do think they're trying to fend off low-end disruption, but the problem with adding media features is that anything can do those things (see the long-running joke about Netflix running on your toaster).

But yeah, I do think a streaming focus is smart for them as a future investment in case they no longer hold the hardware platform at some point in the future.

Also, the TechCrunch article this CultOfMac piece repackages (with less information and a more incendiary headline) is way more worth reading than what's linked in the OP.

Mael

There's dedicated software for this?
Anything at all that solve a problem a customer have?
Are there better alternatives that do similar or better for less?
This is the kind of questions the new Apple Tv should be responding to.
An Apple Tv with a fancy controller won't set the world on fire that's for sure.

e: I also doubt that the Apple's mote is anything like Nintendo's considering the amount of patents Nintendo have on this kind of tech.

Reallink

Ignoring the article's hyperbole for a moment: who is this console for? It costs about as much as a ps3 does nowadays, and it has a smaller library and can do less things. It's not a budget console like the OUYA, and its tech is not on par with the latest stuff.

The same billion people that buy $650-1000 iPhones rather than $200-300 Moto/Nexus/One+. If true, Nintendo's the one really in trouble cause there's a very high chance the NX is going to be an identically priced micro console itself.

Kathian

Banned
You already get this though... And the Wii showed limited software support from the motion control that meant it ran out of steam.

Troy

Banned
Roku is still the one to beat.
cEDIs3l.gif

Fire TV has now passed Apple TV too. Not sure releasing a 200 dollar streaming box is going to help them, but I guess we'll see what kind of extras they intend to offer. I don't think their plan to charge 40+ dollars for a cable streaming service is going to be attractive to too many people. Ala carte would seem like a better choice to attract people sick of paying a flat fee for a selection of channels they have no decision over.

Top Bottom