• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Release Window: Mid 2017

For the best that it's not coming out this fall. Shouldn't risk this getting lost in the shuffle of all the big AAA games coming out over the next month or so.

EmiPrime

None of us have any shortage of games to play. I hope they take all the time they need to make the game they want to make.

game development takes time? The game was significantly smaller in scope so they announced it with that in mind, but then they got funding from MS

it's not really that hard to understand

Probably should have stayed within its original scope based on the platforming level we've seen so far.

If this game misses two calendar years because of that, I don't think it was worth it.

Metzhara

Feels like it should be finished already?
Confirmed: 4K ready for Scorpio! (Now with 4K grain!)
Genuinely rooting for these guys. It looks great and I hope it plays great.

There seems to be a new trend with people withh only a passing interest in a game hyping it into something it's not. You could argue NMS was not the fault of people as there was too much hype and misinformation, but people were angry that We Happy Few wasn't a bioshock clone and that this wasn't a platformer.

Sanjuro

rT49d7d.jpg

cyba89

The delay is fine by me. Didn't expect the game this year anyway.

I just hope the platforming stages don't drag the game down.

Granjinha

There didn't look a lot to it except for the art style so if they are adding more, all the better, take your time.

the gameplay looks amazing, so no

Probably should have stayed within its original scope based on the platforming level we've seen so far.

If this game misses two calendar years because of that, I don't think it was worth it.

i mean, we are guessing here, i really doubt it's only because of that.

Maybesew

Man, this game has been in the public eye for quite a while now. It sucks that indies have to develop out in the open like this. Hope it turns out well.

I've no strong feelings towards either boss rush only or not, but since they decided to add platforming sections I can only hope they'll use the dev time on making those sections more exciting. The platforming levels they showed looked really bland and basic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They must be absurdly out of money at this point.

As amazing as the visual style of this game is, the management of it has been a complete disaster.

shandy706

Polish it up.

Oct 2016 is almost halfway through. Mid 2017 isn't far off...now that I think about it.

Love the art style.

FelipeMGM

Hope their additional work for the platforming sections is worth it

I played a bunch of boss levels on a couple of trade shows and those are fantastic, the quality of the animations are insane, like nothing I ever seen on a 2D game.

EDIT: And also really fun for co-op

Nzyme32

Of course it's better for any company to spend as much time as they feel necessary to make their game as best as they can. Without knowing the context for these delays in great detail its hard to know what to make of the original announcement so long ago. I hate when companies do super early announcements purely for the sake of marketing and "hype", but I perfectly fine with issues that pop up in development / entirely reworking concepts since they fail etc etc.

NoKisum

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Developers and publishers need to stop announcing release dates until the game is done, or at the very least in the bug testing/beta phase.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Feels like they lost their way adding in the platforming. From watching clips the platforming part didn't look too fun.

They must be absurdly out of money at this point.

As amazing as the visual style of this game is, the management of it has been a complete disaster.

Literally two people are making this game.

Once MS got involved, they were likely already profitable. And my understanding is that much of the expansion of the gameplay was at MS' direction, which would imply that MS funded the additional development expense.

Sorcerer

Of course it's better for any company to spend as much time as they feel necessary to make their game as best as they can. Without knowing the context for these delays in great detail its hard to know what to make of the original announcement so long ago. I hate when companies do super early announcements purely for the sake of marketing and "hype", but I perfectly fine with issues that pop up in development / entirely reworking concepts since they fail etc etc.

They actually sold shirts for the games characters 2+ years ago. I assume they were ready to go before Microsoft stepped in and gave them money for the bloat and the right to keep it off PS4. I am guessing with Microsoft involved the linux version is probably dead as well.

Guymelef

Hope its for fixing things because platforms stages were totally uninspired...
I've already lost all my interest for this game.

Sizzel

I sincerely hoped that this game would make it through the shitshow that is 2016... I thought that if I didn't talk about it and 2016 didn't know I wanted it... it would be fine... but noooooooo. You have taken everything and left us nothing , but broken and/or shitty games (sans Overwatch/DS3/Inside)! 2016 damn you! hahaha

If there are no early review copies of FFXV I am going to go Nuclear.

Dishonored you are the only hope.

Mcdohl

2016: The Year of Delays

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-South Park: The Fractured But Whole
-Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
-Fate/Extella

And now we welcome Cuphead to the club.

Did I miss any other delay?

Head.spawn

I mean, clearly nobody thought it was still launching in Summer 2016.

Kind of sucks, but whatever. Hope it's a better game for it.

Dev: *Shows trailer*

Internet: OMG Steamboat Willie Megaman gimmie!

Dev: Actually it's a boss rush shmup

Internet :Boo hiss!

Dev: Fuck!

So true. And a bit ashamed of being guilty on booing the game when I found out that it was only boss attacks, but later thought better and think it would be better XD

Dabanton

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Developers and publishers need to stop announcing release dates until the game is done, or at the very least in the bug testing/beta phase.

They'll never not do it. It's probably very annoying for the devs.

2016: The Year of Delays

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-South Park: The Fractured But Whole
-Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
-Fate/Extella

And now we welcome Cuphead to the club.

Did I miss any other delay?

I was really looking forward to Destiny 2 finally coming out this year, but I don't think that counts.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Literally two people are making this game.

Once MS got involved, they were likely already profitable. And my understanding is that much of the expansion of the gameplay was at MS' direction, which would imply that MS funded the additional development expense.

The devs may be out of money, but MS certainly isn't.

The funny thing about MS money is one second you think its an infinite drip and then it abruptly ends.

Good. Work on those platforming segments because the last time I saw them, they looked bland as hell.

Came in here to post this. The new platforming segments are rough around the edges. Hopefully they have someone on board to refine and design some decent levels. Otherwise, I would just prefer a Boss Rush only type of game.

Top Bottom