• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curb Your Enthusiasm S9 |OT| He Left. He Did Nothing. He Returned - Sundays on HBO

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Larry is not afraid to tackle any touchy subjects. Tonight Islam was a plot point, and also LBGTQ.

He just touches subjects most writers won't, and does it so brilliantly.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Everyone has aged so much..

Larry is the king of "forbidden" comedy. Episode was brilliant. So glad hes is back.

I legit choked on my drink when the camera cut to Larry in disguise

Dunno if it's been brought up but the camera work seemed to be on a whole new level for the show. It actually looks good now!

Everyone has aged so much..

Except Larry. Looks nearly the same since the Seinfeld days.
the-chinese-woman-larry-david.jpg

W1PBBZ9.png

Solid episode of Curb. I think my biggest worry about this season of Curb is that Larry might have leaned a little too much on what people enjoy about Curb after 6 years (namely being an asshole) to the point that it feels for the sake of it. I'm not sure if this episode is going to calm those notions, but at the same time I didn't get the sense of say, Arrested Development Season 4 where things had changed so much that everything felt off, even if ultimately enjoyable in its own right.

So all in all, it's far from the best stuff of Curb, but it fit right in with the general quality of the show. So that's good!

Tobor

It’s curb, it’s back, and it’s awesome. My expectations were met completely, in that this is Curb.

I’ll be lampin for the rest of the evening.

robotrock

Banned
The camera style def weirded me out more than I expected. I think I got used to it by the end of the episode, but we'll see by next week

Feel like it makes some stuff more awkward in a bad way though. The scene with Betty's fiance screaming at Larry as he walked in their house just seemed off. Like, the show has always been ridiculous and insane, but this scene just felt unconvincing. It might be that she just gave a bad performance though.

woodchuck

Thought the episode was great. I just hope the rest of the episodes don't play too much into Larry being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. Curb is at its best when the audience knows Larry is technically in the right but is placed in to an unfortunate situation.

I was worried about the trailers showing some kind of camera change and that it would throw me off but in the end it really did look like old Curb to me. I think the weirdness maybe some us notice in the trailers is that we are not used to seeing Curb in real HD. It has never been released on blu ray and the clips we always watch over and over on YouTube are in shitty SD. I think that may be the change we are seeing but it goes away instantly.

Thought it was a great return. The run-time of 36 minutes felt good and when it ended I realized - there can never be too much Curb! Bring on the longer episodes!

Weetrick

Thought the episode was great. I just hope the rest of the episodes don't play too much into Larry being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. Curb is at its best when the audience knows Larry is technically in the right but is placed in to an unfortunate situation.

My wife made the same comment. I hope you're right because unrelateble asshole Larry can become a bummer to watch.

Lijik

Im gonna wait for more of the season to see how it shakes out cus while I dont mind the show handling touchy issues, Larry being an asshole just to be an asshole felt more off to me than the new shooting style

that said the text he sent Richard fucking killed me and its great having this show back

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Line of the episode: "I don't live in a Cuban dance hall"

Does anyone know the name of the actress who played the
"bride" who stormed out?

I recognize her face, I know I've seen her somewhere, but IMDB doesn't have extended credits yet.

Tagg9

I didn't find the premiere particularly funny but I have faith that the rest of the series will be funnier as the cast gets back into the rhythm of it.

Line of the episode: "I don't live in a Cuban dance hall"

Does anyone know the name of the actress who played the
"bride" who stormed out?

I recognize her face, I know I've seen her somewhere, but IMDB doesn't have extended credits yet.
Her name is Nasim Pedrad. From SNL.

Socreges

Banned
The actors were definitely smirking/laughing more than usual. Looks like they're all thrilled to be back

Average to below average episode but I'm just happy it's back. Was smiling throughout

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man. I expected the worst after seeing the trailer (which to me seemed to really highlight Larry being 10x the asshole than usual), but the premiere was simply fantastic. I missed this show so much.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Richard Lewis was breaking during that first scene with Larry, but he played it off well. "I'm laughing cause..." Glad to see everyone back and enjoying themselves.

The change in filming was weird. Not a big deal.

Larry's Type + Distance convo killed me.

Tankard

Never doubted it would still be amazing as before, Larry David is a genious. I'm rewatching my Curb Dvd's and i'm on Season 8, will finish before watching the new ones.

Really let down by this episode :/ didn't feel like Curb at all

I didn't find the premiere particularly funny but I have faith that the rest of the series will be funnier as the cast gets back into the rhythm of it.
This is what I'm hoping for as well. They're just finding their footing

shaneo632

First half was hilarious, didn't enjoy the Kimmel bit as much because it didn't seem particularly plausible (that all the news networks would cover it) and kinda low-hanging fruit.

Some great lines though, feels like the show never left tbh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The asshole dial was tuned way up that first episode, whereas often I can somewhat empathize and laugh with Larry's arguments(even if I disagree), it didn't work out that way like at all here.

Still, the structure was classic Curb and it is great to have a new season all the same.

Top Bottom