• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curb Your Enthusiasm S9 |OT| He Left. He Did Nothing. He Returned - Sundays on HBO

orioto

Good Art™
So happy to see him back, that was great. Between that and Better Things, that's a great comedy season!

Some of the best episodes in the series were in season eight.

Like Seinfeld, season 9 gets dumped on because of the finale but there are so many classic episodes and moments in that season. Festivus, The human fund, the bookstore red flag, the frogger machine, Merv Griffin set, serenity now, Mr. Kruger, hello la la la, turkey Kramer - hey buddy! Elaine pretending to be some random kids Nana.

I always felt like it was a collection of ideas that never made it for some reason, and were finally used in the last season.

Nice to have it back. Couple of things...

Susie without curly hair is so strange.

J.B. Smoove as Leon felt so much slower in his delivery. It felt like he was running at 80% speed or something.

Some of the filmmaking didn't seem continuous from past seasons, not like that is a bad thing, but just a bit jarring.

So nice seeing Cheryl and Ted Danson back. (had to pause the episode to see if Danson was getting divorced in real life)

Richard Lewis looked.... ok to me. Thinner, older, but not ghastly sick like I assumed going into this.

Lastly, it seemed like a lot of the cast was trying to hold back smiles. Certainly seemed like they were having a great time and glad to be back.

Richard looks rough.
Richard has been looking rough since like 5 seasons ago lol. He's fine. That is just how he looks.

He's a recovering alcoholic after all!
I love how he always brings this up lol

Also, taking bets on Ted and Cheryl banging before seasons end?

There has always been sexual tension there. Larry has pointed to it in past episodes. The arm touching, the phone calls, the gossip. I think the very short scene between them in this episode was foreshadowing something. haha it is going to be fucking brilliant if it happens.

Socreges

Banned
100% Cheryl and Ted will at least make Larry paranoid, if not start dating

And if we're lucky he'll try and get with Mary (and misread, fail, say "No good?")

Necro

Banned
Richard has been looking rough since like 5 seasons ago lol. He's fine. That is just how he looks.

He's a recovering alcoholic after all!
I love how he always brings this up lol

Also, taking bets on Ted and Cheryl banging before seasons end?

There has always been sexual tension there. Larry has pointed to it in past episodes. The arm touching, the phone calls, the gossip. I think the very short scene between them in this episode was foreshadowing something. haha it is going to be fucking brilliant if it happens.

Rough and old man that lifestyle takes a toll on you especially if it lasts decades

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

And if we're lucky he'll try and get with Mary (and misread, fail, say "No good?")

This is exactly what I am hoping for, even though an obvious route to go, would be hilarious!

Just watched the episode, loved it. I thought it got off to a slow start and got better and better as the episode wen on

Ted and Cheryl getting together would be fucking brilliant. It didn't even cross my mind at the time but it has to go there.

Ristifer

Ted and Cheryl flirted so many times on the show, so it just seems natural that they'll be getting together. It's such an obvious move, but it would be hilarious.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the moment where Cheryl was trying to hold back laughter while talking to Larry.

Classic Curb chemistry.

Jag

J.B. Smoove as Leon felt so much slower in his delivery. It felt like he was running at 80% speed or something.

He'll brings the ruckus. It wasn't top tier Larry/Leon but the two of them together are just so fantastic. There is an onscreen respect that flows through to their characters which just makes it a joy to watch. I could watch Youtube Leon highlights all day long.

Tankard

Some people seriously think this doesn't feel like Curb?
Man, saw everything of it there, after just rewatching all seasons this was just like it was never over, except it doesn't look like filmed with a potato cam.

I'm so happy the show is back.

Septy

A triumph. I laughed the whole way through. I very rarely laugh during most comedies, this stuff was gold.

Socreges

Banned
or when Richard lewis cracked and then delivered the amazing line:

“You know why I’m laughing? At the sadness of your entire existence.”
Carrie Brownstein did the same thing. She broke and then explained why she was laughing (even though I think the laugh itself was cut). It actually seemed like they had gotten instruction to try rolling with the laughter and explaining it.

Or it's just a coincidence

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I did not expect him to get Fatwaed. That reveal was fucking hilarious.

And Larry in disguise omfg

I also really missed the Richard and Larry interactions

Carrie Brownstein did the same thing. She broke and then explained why she was laughing (even though I think the laugh itself was cut). It actually seemed like they had gotten instruction to try rolling with the laughter and explaining it.

Or it's just a coincidence
Curb is mostly improv, no? That’s normal in improv.

Socreges

Banned
Curb is mostly improv, no? That’s normal in improv.
Of course. But I've watched the entire run of Curb twice in the last couple years and don't recall it happening more than once or twice. So for it to happen twice in the same episode...sure, maybe just a coincidence, but I thought maybe they were laughing more than usual on set and were encouraged to just play it off. ie, more than usual

Ahasverus

Oh man, it feels like ages ago when I accidentally caught an episode on my aunt's HBO and laughed like a moron through the whole thing, and here I am, doing the same.

God bless this show.

Sloane

Banned
Like Seinfeld, season 9 gets dumped on because of the finale but there are so many classic episodes and moments in that season. Festivus, The human fund, the bookstore red flag, the frogger machine, Merv Griffin set, serenity now, Mr. Kruger, hello la la la, turkey Kramer - hey buddy! Elaine pretending to be some random kids Nana.

I always felt like it was a collection of ideas that never made it for some reason, and were finally used in the last season.
Yeah, weakest part was the beginning of season 8 when you could really feel them struggling without LD. It got better later on but in season 9 they really got their groove back. But I liked the finale, too, so...

Just attended the DC Comedy Club Improv show for Season 9, and there were a lot of great improv artists who deserved a spot on the show. The best being a (DC?) judge who really carried the tip-coordination scene

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
please give me an avatar of Larry in disguise

i lost it.

dnv4P4O.jpg

I wish I would have thought of this. lol

Top Bottom