• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyan (Creators of Myst & Riven) launch Kickstarter for a new game: Obduction

d0g_bear

totally necroing this thread because they're doing a live demo of the frist level of the game. They've been in production for about nine months. It's a great looking UE4 environment.

http://www.justin.tv/mysteriumcon
OYurJZQ.png

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
.@Psykoboy2

I know I'm very late in saying this, but thank you for asking my questions. It was great to hear Rand not only answering them, but doing it with such enthusiasm.

I guess Lattice will be their next KS if Obduction goes well! And imagine one of the reward tiers being a physical, signed copy of the Book of Marrim. :D

Erevador

The most recent Kickstarter update includes this video.

Obduction Preview August 2014

I think the game looks like it's coming along great. Love the item inspection, and all the detail being put into it. Definitely summons up that Myst/Riven feeling.

Really looking forward to this, and feel great about backing it.

Erevador

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm looking forward to this more than The Witness.

Excited to see what the Myst boys do with UE4, and a truly original new property.

Remf

Rebought all of the myst games on steam some time ago and I'll be there day one when this is finally released. Any word on when that will be?

Erevador

Rebought all of the myst games on steam some time ago and I'll be there day one when this is finally released. Any word on when that will be?
Kickstarter says it'll be out in October of this year. Recent update showed they were recording actor performances, so they should be pretty far along.

Hope it makes that date!

inm8num2

I'd all but forgotten about Obduction. Didn't back it on KS but certainly look forward to the game immensely. Beautiful gif - I remember a very short tech demo some months ago, too. The atmosphere seems lovely and suitably isolating.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I didn't back but I'll buy. Looks good!

Pasck

Neo Member
Well we finally get some news about the game but not good ones it seems, they were supposed to make a deal with a publisher but it didn't go as planned : https://www.facebook.com/CyanGames/posts/10153032612181364

Doesn't look like it'll be another kickstarter failure though, the game will just release a little later apparently. I still trust cyan to make something great, what they have is looking nice, here's a hands-on :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995...dles-the-line-between-familiar-and-alien.html

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Well we finally get some news about the game but not good ones it seems, they were supposed to make a deal with a publisher but it didn't go as planned : https://www.facebook.com/CyanGames/posts/10153032612181364

Doesn't look like it'll be another kickstarter failure though, the game will just release a little later apparently. I still trust cyan to make something great, what they have is looking nice, here's a hands-on :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995...dles-the-line-between-familiar-and-alien.html

Might as well quote it. Went a little Broken Age it seems.

Hey Obduction Backers,

Well this letter was finally supposed to be some very exciting news, but that’s not how it turned out. We feel like we’ve been sucker punched. Let me explain exactly what happened and why we’ve been quiet for the last few months.

First, Obduction is amazing. We couldn’t be happier with how it’s progressing.

About six months ago we realized that Obduction had evolved with enough content to be a bit larger than the Kickstarter-sized experience we had planned. With that in mind we decided to see if we could raise some small additional funding to move Obduction to that larger vision - instead of moving the scope back down.

We had serious interest from several sources including a small publisher. After several meetings and reviews the small publisher said yes, and we proceeded to negotiate a formal contract that was ready to sign two months ago. They assured us that this was a done deal, and so, with their very specific recommendation we moved forward with the larger Obduction production — leaving the option to reduce behind us.

So, two months ago we were on the cusp of signing the contract and making the exciting announcement to our backers and the public. We waited a few days… then a few days more. A week passed, then another. The signing of the contract was lagging. It was a red flag, but there was always a reason — vacation, holidays, travel, out of the office. They assured us that things were fine - it was just a matter of timing for the executives.

You see where this is going.

Long story short, we were expecting yesterday we would finally sign and move forward, but instead we found out that, in spite of all the good faith negotiating, early assurances (that we based some rather important production decisions on), and even gestures on our part to sweeten the terms of the contract (if that was the problem) — the publisher did a 180 and reneged for what were apparently financial reasons.

Now this leaves us in an extremely tenuous position. Because this publisher tied things up for so many months, we have very little time to try to round up additional funding.

So, here is what we’re doing…

Obduction production continues at full speed while we reassess. We will determine the adjustments required to move Obduction back to the original plan — reducing the scope in an intelligent way, so we can complete it, polish it, and test it.

In the meantime we’re also looking for any partners who would like to be part of making the bolder Obduction for a sweetheart of a deal. We’ve got plenty of the game complete to prove what Obduction is, the investment amount is relatively small at this point, and (because of our situation) the terms (and royalties) are generous. Maybe we’ll still get a chance to build a larger Obduction experience.

Here’s what that means for you…

We’ve used a few months of our schedule for work on the larger vision, so we’re a few months behind. We’ll be reworking our production schedule based on what we figure out in the next week. Obduction is definitely still coming, and it will amaze you, but it will be delayed by a few months.

It’s always awkward to have to hang out your dirty laundry. Last week we were so excited that we would finally be able to tell you about a publishing deal that would enable a larger Obduction experience, and this week we’re scrambling to adjust. But our team is small, nimble, and amazingly talented.

It’s ironic and sad that every time that Cyan has been pushed to the brink, it has been related to some unexpected move by a publisher. I suppose we were hoping for something better this time — shame on us.

Thank you again for your support and understanding. Now that we don’t have to keep mum, we look forward to once again keeping you informed of everything that’s happening.

Rand

Wascally publishers! ;)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Robyn Miller's back to do the soundtrack! From the latest update:

Two Years and Counting!

It's hard to believe, but it's been almost two years since our Obduction Kickstarter succeeded, and our Obduction production began in earnest. Wow!

We've accomplished so much this year -- and we've had our share of ups and downs. But we're in a great space, and Obduction is feeling amazing. We're looking forward to getting our last world finished -- and then polishing things to rusty, shiny, corroded, organic, degraded, alien perfection.

Some incredibly exciting news for those of you who haven't heard -- Rand's brother Robyn (who co-created Myst and Riven) has agreed to do the Obduction soundtrack! Among other things, (writer, director, actor, artist, and more) Robyn is a very talented composer -- well know for writing and producing the award-winning music for Myst and Riven. He has already started on the first of the musical/ambient soundscapes, and we couldn't be more excited about having Robyn's music enhance the Obduction experience. Robyn's production company, Zoo Break Productions, has produced a feature film and two short films, and they have a TV series in the works. You can follow Robyn on twitter at @tinselman.

And, once again, thank you so much for your continued support!

His work in Myst and Riven is great, so this is fantastic news.

Right, this is back on my list of games to watch! How the hell did i forget this was still plodding towards completion. Can't wait. Myst and Riven were great time sinks when i was younger and this looks no different.

Top Bottom