• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: What we know so far

Maligna

Banned
But for a good story I prefer a character with its own personality.

That's what I play action games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider for. For an RPG I want as much choice as possible. Branching story, NPCs that react to who my customized character is and what they have done etc.

Just because you have options doesn't mean the story is bad.

erawsd

Its neat to read all these but its been so long that Id be wary of any finer details and features since the game was just ideas on paper at the time.

Maligna

Banned
Not sure why a good story needs a character with a pre-defined personality. I'd argue one isn't even required for a good story, as your character's personality can come out through actions and dialog choices

Exactly right. And this game sounds like it's going to be filled with choice, and a world that reacts to customization, which makes me thrilled.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I feel I should note that a few years in, they massively expanded the scope of the project and like tripled (or more) the size of the intended development team, so it's not clear that things said at the start are still true.

Maligna

Banned
So I feel I should note that a few years in, they massively expanded the scope of the project and like tripled (or more) the size of the intended development team, so it's not clear that things said at the start are still true.

Well, if they expanded the scope we can only hope that will be including all of this... Plus more! Yay, optimism!

theofficefan99

A good story doesn't need a main character with a pre-defined personality, but good, polished presentation certainly does.

(That said I'm very excited for this game)

MadYarpen

Where does this number come from?

I love that they specifically cited the fallout 4 release (announce at e3, release very soon after and have substantial amounts of game to be shown when announcing) as inspiration. Hopefully we see a significant chunk at e3 this year with a release maybe next spring?

Maligna

Banned
I love that they specifically cited the fallout 4 release (announce at e3, release very soon after and have substantial amounts of game to be shown when announcing) as inspiration. Hopefully we see a significant chunk at e3 this year with a release maybe next spring?

I still say it takes until 2020. How long did Witcher 3 take to develop? They just really started this game this year AND it's way more ambitious.

The Witcher 3 was much stronger for me because Geralt is a defined character with a deep back story. He feels well integrated in the world.

I'm curious if CDPR can do better then Bioware in developing a more "blank slate" or player defined type main character. There's definitely room for improvement in that space.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The Witcher 3 was much stronger for me because Geralt is a defined character with a deep back story. He feels well integrated in the world.

I'm curious if CDPR can do better then Bioware in developing a more "blank slate" or player defined type main character. There's definitely room for improvement in that space.

The interesting thing, if I'm not mistaken, is that Witcher was originally not going to feature Geralt but rather a blank slate "create-your-own" Witcher character. I feel like CDPR knows what they are doing if they feel like actually going in this direction this time unlike with what they actually did with Witcher. It also makes more sense for this game to feature more of a blank slate character anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where does this number come from?

Well, they were a max size 300 person studio (that was aiming to stay more around 250 people) that intended to house two simultaneous AAA teams (plus the GOG people), and now they're growing to 500+ people while housing one AAA team (plus the GOG and Gwent people).

That would be like ~100-120-ish to 300-350+-ish even if we assume 100 people for Gwent and 50 for GOG.

I believe they "started" a couple years ago but didn't start full on production until Blood and Wine released.
This is what I thought I read as well.

We are looking at 2019-2020 for a possible launch window of this game. 2018 would be an early release. 2017 would be suicide.

DemWalls

I just casually stumbled upon Mateusz Kanik's Linkedin profile. I thought he (still) was the game's director, but apparently he's been until June 2016, and since then he's become "Design Director".

Sorry for the stupid bump, but I wondered what this could possibly mean. Development problems maybe, if we're being pessimistic?

Or maybe the game's already complete and his guidance is no longer needed, they just need to polish it.

I believe they "started" a couple years ago but didn't start full on production until Blood and Wine released.

Full production since TW3. A huge part of CDPR was already working on it last year. Since Blood & Wine almost the entire studio is working on it. Going by that EG article, TW3 was made in 3 years and they basically had to start from scratch, as they never made an open world game before.
We already know they are working on this since 2012, with the game being in full production since 2015 and currently there are more people working on this than there were on TW3 during its development peak. I think a 2018 release is very much possible.

Stiler

I just hope that for the game world they are able to make an actual city that feels like a city, with a lot of open buildings that you can go in/out of without a ton of loading and loading and loading.

GTA and other games are good at creating the look of a city but it never feel slike a real city because you can never go in or interact with the vast majority of buildings in the game,t hey are merely there to serve window dressing.

Full production since TW3. A huge part of CDPR was already working on it last year. Since Blood & Wine almost the entire studio is working on it. Going by that EG article, TW3 was made in 3 years and they basically had to start from scratch, as they never made an open world game before.
We already know they are working on this since 2012, with the game being in full production since last year and currently there are more people working on this than there were on TW3 during its development peak. I think a 2018 release is very much possible.
Yeah, 2018 is my guess

I just hope that for the game world they are able to make an actual city that feels like a city, with a lot of open buildings that you can go in/out of without a ton of loading and loading and loading.

GTA and other games are good at creating the look of a city but it never feel slike a real city because you can never go in or interact with the vast majority of buildings in the game,t hey are merely there to serve window dressing.

I believe that's what they are aiming for. This is just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a reveal for this at E3 this year, perhaps on Scorpio?

Aurongel

2019-2020, the level of polish and breadth in TW3 is what solidified that game as one of gaming's best. They're smart, they'll make the right choice and take their time.

Frostman

Not a bad collection of information, but there are still some misleading points such as when they went into full production. Which was when W3 shipped not after Blood and Wine, as well as the scale of people working on the game in 2013 wich was closer to the 50 point if I remember correctly. Can't remember the source but it is linked above.

I think people get confused because when Blood and Wine shipped articles were posted stating that they have a larger team Working on Cyberpunk compared to any point of development on the W3.

I obviously have no clue how far along they are, but i still really believe this game will be a spring 2018 game, based on their plans of launching another AAA game by 2021 and also the fact that they would like to have 2 teams working on different games. I think they will get Cyberpunk out the door, once that's release they should have recruited enough to work as 2 teams.

DemWalls

I obviously have no clue how far along they are, but i still really believe this game will be a spring 2018 game, based on their plans of launching another AAA game by 2021 and also the fact that they would like to have 2 teams working on different games. I think they will get Cyberpunk out the door, once that's release they should have recruited enough to work as 2 teams.

I honestly wouldn't take those plans as a guarantee of anything. I remember when, at the end of 2011, they had plans for "two AAA+ RPGs" (TW3 and CP2077), one in 2014 and the other in 2015, and we know how that ended. True, they were basically a different company then, but I still don't expect them to live up to such promises, especially given how massive their games are.

Anyway, looking at the LinkedIn profile of some deveopers, it seems many changed roles last summer, even the director. I wonder what it means.

Not a bad collection of information, but there are still some misleading points such as when they went into full production. Which was when W3 shipped not after Blood and Wine, as well as the scale of people working on the game in 2013 wich was closer to the 50 point if I remember correctly. Can't remember the source but it is linked above.

I think people get confused because when Blood and Wine shipped articles were posted stating that they have a larger team Working on Cyberpunk compared to any point of development on the W3.

Yeah, seems to be quite a bit of guess work and interpretation on that poster's behalf. In the meantime I'll patiently await the big reveal, which I still expect this year.

Man oh man. Finished W3, HoS and am working my way through BaW. I am very much looking forward to whatever Cyberpunk is. Just imagining the CDPR quality of narrative set in a dystopian Blade Runneresque future is fun to think about.

I'm a little nervous about not having an anchored main character like Geralt. Your main char being a blank slate seems like it could be challenging from that perspective but if anyone can pull it off, CDPR can. Really hoping we get some more info at e3.

In light of the recent, problematic statement from someone at Naughty Dog (specifically, the Creative Director for the upcoming Uncharted: The Lost Legacy), I'd like to commend CDPR for taking the following initiative, with respect to Cyberpunk 2077:
CDPR has posted some new positions on their website, among them:

Cultural and Linguistic Consultant
This individual will play a part in designing the cultural/linguistic aspects of the game world. They will also be called upon to provide various references and source materials/knowledge about the melting pot that is American culture (California in particular) to be used in game design, implementation and dialogue writing

Working closely with the Story, Quest and Localization teams to catch cultural misconceptions and errors.
Providing various references to the melting pot that is American culture (California in particular) to be used in game design, implementation and dialogue writing.
Deep understanding of American society and culture.
Clearly, they want the world of the Cyberpunk 2077 to be as accurate in its depiction of the American society as possible. This was one of the worries that people have expressed before - whether or not a Polish dev will be able to catch the nuance.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/careers/jobs/cultural-and-linguistic-consultant/

Hopefully Naughty Dog will take a similar step, and soon:
https://failbluedot.com/indiana-jones-racist-sexist
...Note that, a lot of the problems would have been pretty easy to fix if they cared enough to spend 0.5% of the budget on a consultant. Then what made the movie memorable (the darkness and tension, the inventive action scenes) would stand the test of time better. The idea that the stereotypes were somehow necessary to make it a success imply that there isn’t enough creativity out there to work a few more constraints into the million other constraints people already face when creating movies. Which should offend movie-goers and movie-makers alike...

In light of the recent, problematic statement from someone at Naughty Dog (specifically, the Creative Director for the upcoming Uncharted: The Lost Legacy), I'd like to commend CDPR for taking the following initiative, with respect to Cyberpunk 2077:

Hopefully Naughty Dog will take a similar step, and soon:

I have really always disliked the melting pot analogy. I have always felt more like it was a food processor or some sort of industrial process like a centrifuge - separating out everything and distilling disparates cultures to their most obvious / simplistic characteristics and stereotypes.

Hence why there are things like St. Patrick's Day or the idea that "italians (when they really mean 3rd or 4th generation people who happened to once have italian heritage) talk loudly."

Top Bottom