• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk games?

johnsmith

remember me
M°°nblade said:
I know.
There's no 'steam' driven technology but they do share the retro art design with lot's of bronze, tooth wheels, 19th century diving suites (dig daddies) and stuff like that.

It's retrofuturism.

The following are the only great Cyberpunk games worth your time out there which aren't text adventures:

Deus Ex

Thank you and good night.

Reilly said:
2hojzu0.jpg

Too bad the game isn't very good.

Played it on pc....it was a Blade Runner rip off, but i liked it alot back then.

Spirit of Jazz said:
The following are the only great Cyberpunk games worth your time out there which aren't text adventures:

Deus Ex

Thank you and good night.

this is almost true, but system shock says hi...;)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK I know you asked for a video game but hear me out!

If you haven't read Snow Crash already, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It reads like the greatest cyberpunk videogame ever.

SnowCrash-OldSoft.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
neight said:
Some people are associating Bioshock's art deco with steampunk for some reason.
i'm associating the types of weapons and how you can upgrade them with steampunk.

neight said:
Art Deco is a architecture style not a genre. Some people are associating Bioshock's art deco with steampunk for some reason.
Because it all depends on definitions and criteria.
Just like steampunk, Bioshock and Fallout are alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken".

If you insist on using the term 'steampunk' strictly for steamdriven technology and 19th century victorian style, you have to define dozens of new genres for alternative historical realities that took off in different periodes of time.

In Command&Conquer: red alert Albert Einstein travels back in time to kill Hitler in 1924.
In Resistance history diverges from the real world before World War 2 took place.
In freedom fighters, during WW2 (the atom bomb was developed in Berlin).
In Fallout, after WW2.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If you know what a terminal is AND enjoy typing stuff on keyboards AND like solving some puzzles AND always wanted to be a central decker figure in con warz in a cyberpunk world, then GET UPLINK BECAUSE IT'S FUN IN THAT SENSE!!
It's not terribly realistic, but I enjoyed it a lot.

It'll rape you through a hole

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Bluemercury said:
What's the best version of shadowrun???

SNES is more story driven, Genesis is more gameplay driven. SNES is generally easier, puzzle and dialog driven, combat is point and click. Genesis can be pretty unforgiving, sort of...Dungeon crawling? You get Shadowruns, do them for cash, upgrade yourself, do some of the story to open up more areas. Some runs are easier or harder depending on your class, and you can theoretically make up for your weaknesses with other runners. I like the SNES version better since I favor narrative heavy games, but with the Genesis version you can spend a lot of enjoyable time doing runs, as they contain a lot of randomized elements. You had random encounters that played out like mini choose-your-own-adventure scenarios. A man stops you on the street and asks for help, you follow him and stop a mugging and get rewarded, or he turns out to be bait for a gang, or a vampire. It was a neat little system that added some variety and tension to every area.

The 360 version is an online multiplayer FPS game, like Counter Strike or Team Fortress. Something like four classes, several guns and spells, a couple of maps. It was pretty fun when I played the beta and the demo, but I don't think you can get the demo any more and I'd be surprised if the player base was that vibrant.

M°°nblade said:
Fine, whatever, bioshock= Artdecopunk and biopunk.

Actually Bioshock and Fallout fall into "50s retro" (and yea I know the first 2 bio games take place in the 40s)

I guess you can call them Americanapunk or 40spunk or retropunk or greaserpunk

Bluemercury said:
Played it on pc....it was a Blade Runner rip off, but i liked it alot back then.

I think the main characters name was Blade Hunter. I really enjoyed it a long time ago on the PC as well. Heart of China was pretty good too

René_EM

Neo Member
konrad77 said:
Except from Deus Ex 3 which one should you look forward to?

Are there any good games for Consoles (this generation or last generation)?

I know konrad77 said other than Deus Ex 3, but here are some supporting concept art images.

shanghai.jpg
statue.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
jon bones said:

If you haven't read Snow Crash already, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It reads like the greatest cyberpunk videogame ever.

SnowCrash-OldSoft.jpg

Yes. Read this. It would make for the best cyberpunk game ever, or movie.

Guled

someone should make a Ghost in the Shell game for the HD consoles. Let it use the Mirror Edge tech, it would be so awesome. If I won the lottery the first thing I'll do is bankroll that project myself. If done right it can easily be the best game ever made

Philthy

I would kill for a Neomancer update, or something close to it. Uplink got it halfway right, it was just missing the whole adventure genre part to complete it.

jon bones said:

SnowCrash-OldSoft.jpg

Any other books you guys can recommend ?

Melhisedek said:
Any other books you guys can recommend ?

I would start by reading "Cyberpunk" by Bruce Bethke since thats the story that started it all.

Then read Snow Crash, Neuromancer, and everything by Phillip K. Dick.

dfyb

Banned
it's really a shame games have basically dropped the cyberpunk theme. games are the best medium for experiencing the impossible (or experiencing the [fictional] future).

Dystopia (mulitplayer HL2 mod) is a more recent cyberpunk game.

Durandal

Banned
Its really a shame that almost everything has dropped the cyperpunk theme really. But yeah, especially games. One would think that theres tremendous potential for great games if you imagine a remake of say, the Shadowrun games.

Woakes

Cyberpunk and Sci-fi in general seems to have suffered a quite bizzare backlash of complete apathy across all genres lately: games, tv, movies... I genuinely wonder why, very depressing. Usually even what we do get is some sort of thin mockery that's mostly some other genre with vague tinges of CyberFi thrown around it.

CiSTM

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
You should add this game, it's as cyberpunk as they come, but I seem to be the only one on the board that ever played it:

illusioncity-f.jpg

Whoa, that looks cool ! Any fan translations ?

Speaking of novels, there was a cyberpunk book I read as a teen that I can not remember the title for the life of me.

All I remember is this kid was a huge computer geek, camped up in his room he began work on a OS. He showed off the OS to some guy in a chatroom who said they could market it and make it big. He then took the full OS to the address given to him, but there was no one there. Some stuff happens, and he wakes up (I think years later) the guy stole his OS and made it big. The guy then pretty much turns the kid's brain into a PC, and even gives him a virus and some other ish.

jon bones said:
First read Snowcrash, then PM me :D

Snow Crash is good, but I'd almost recommend Neuromancer or one of the earlier cyperpunk works to start out with. Snow Crash is actually considered Post-Cyperpunk if I remember correctly, and represents a slightly different take on the genre than what is really considered "Cyperpunk".

Of course, anything with a main character called Hiro Protagonist is awesome.

Top Bottom