• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show host Trevor Noah says people see Antifa as "Vegan Isis"

On Thursday night, host Trevor Noah took another surprising stance: railing against Antifa, a movement of anti-fascist groups who oppose white supremacy via direct action. Recently, members of the group clashed with bands of neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, Virginia, and a few were seen beating down a neo-Nazi at a protest in Berkeley, California, in a clip that went viral. These incidents are of course outliers, and the vast majority of their membership—who are often confused with the black bloc—engage in forms of nonviolent protest.

Noah opened his spiel with a clip of a supposed Antifa member defending breaking a store window as a ”symbolic act."

”Seriously, though, breaking a window was a ‘symbolic act'? You might think it's some deep statement, but most people see that and think, ‘Great, now I've got to walk a whole block up to the next Starbucks,'" said the comedian. ”Like, who is that supposed to convince? What are you trying to do? It definitely doesn't convince the Starbucks guy, the person who's gonna be in the store cleaning up the glass, like, ‘Yeah, they made a good point about fascism. I understand what they mean. I understand it.'"

He continued: ”You've got these Antifa members who believe that smashing shit is all they should do. Others want to expose neo-Nazis, and part of Antifa has only been about video games. But the part that's been causing the most headaches is the one that's hitting people in the head."

The Daily Show MC then threw to a montage of Fox News pundits losing their marbles over the aforementioned clip of a few Antifa members beating up a neo-Nazi in Berkeley during a white nationalist rally on Aug. 27—a scuffle that lasted a few seconds before it was broken up by another Antifa member.

”You see, now, here's the real problem: It doesn't matter what your noble goal may be, it doesn't matter what you say you're fighting for. When people see that, all they think is, ‘Oh shit, it's Vegan ISIS,'" said Noah. ”Because you don't realize when you think you're punching Nazis, you don't realize that you're also punching your cause. Because your opponents, they'll just use every violent incident to discredit your entire movement, and they make it seem like—they make it seem like—in a world where white supremacists have a friend in the White House, the real problem is you guys."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-daily-shows-trevor-noah-rails-against-antifa-they-are-vegan-isis

Well I'm glad I never got into Noah's daily show so I'm not as disappointed in him as I would have been.

“You’ve got these Antifa members who believe that smashing shit is all they should do. Others want to expose neo-Nazis, and part of Antifa has only been about video games. But the part that’s been causing the most headaches is the one that’s hitting people in the head.”

Huh? What does he mean by this?

Breads

Banned
That is both a stupid and incredibly damaging thing to say. Equating anti fascists to terrorists... name one person ever killed or one building ever blown up by antifa.

:edit:

Op editted their post with lines they omitted. Looks like the product of a clickbait article. Fuck me I responded to a quote mine.

“Seriously, though, breaking a window was a ‘symbolic act’? You might think it’s some deep statement, but most people see that and think, ‘Great, now I’ve got to walk a whole block up to the next Starbucks,’” said the comedian. “Like, who is that supposed to convince? What are you trying to do? It definitely doesn’t convince the Starbucks guy, the person who’s gonna be in the store cleaning up the glass, like, ‘Yeah, they made a good point about fascism. I understand what they mean. I understand it.’”

I wonder what he makes of Do the Right Thing.

Because your opponents, they’ll just use every violent incident to discredit your entire movement, and they make it seem like—they make it seem like—in a world where white supremacists have a friend in the White House, the real problem is you guys.

So he goes out of his way to keep that dumbass idea going.

Thanks Trev

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Stupid on multiple levels. And using "vegan" as an insult? Was the writer a 13 year old EpicMealTime youtube video commenter?

Aklamarth

Seems to me he has a stance against violence. Answering the neo nazi violence with more violence is .... wrong.

Gleethor

"Who is that supposed to convince" hmmmmm where have I heard this one before. Surely there are no other movements that have had this sort of bullshit criticism levied towards them recently.

whitehawk

Banned
I find the term "Antifa" weird. I didn't know what I meant when it started popping up and soon enough it was fairly common. It sounded like a word mean to represent a mean group of people, meant to sound scary.

Then I found out it meant 'anti-fascists'.

Isn't that a good thing? There should be a different term for it, because not all anti fascists are 'radical' and 'violent', which I believe is the group that the term is trying to define. How about just assholes.

Vegan isis is sounds funny but way off. Smashing innocent starbucks windows makes them isis? I thought isis was real bad, not just wayward

It's like comparing Bart Simpson to Jack the Ripper

I find the term "Antifa" weird. I didn't know what I meant when it started popping up and soon enough it was fairly common. It sounded like a word mean to represent a mean group of people, meant to sound scary.

Then I found out it meant 'anti-fascists'.

Isn't that a good thing? There should be a different term for it, because not all anti fascists are 'radical' and 'violent', which I believe is the group that the term is trying to define. How about just assholes.

It's a good thing.

But then you have dumbasses who try to say that anti-fascists are just as bad as literal fascists like Nazis.

Like Noah.

Like..the fuck?

Trouble

Banned
Thread title is misleading. He's saying that's what people think when they see a Fox News montage of Antifa doing violent shit with no context.

When people see that, all they think is, ‘Oh shit, it’s Vegan ISIS,’” said Noah.

He's not wrong? I've seen many people compare ANTIFA to terrorist groups.

Sounds like he's just against the violence, not what the group stands for.

kswiston

has he heard of world war II

He grew up in Apartheid South Africa with a black mom and a white dad that he wasn't allowed to be seen with in public, since mixing races was illegal. I don't know what his intention is with that speech, but I think that he has a pretty good idea of what white supremacy is.

There are numerous recent cases of antifa going after journalists at these protests. Are journalists part of the fascists?

Turning a blind eye to extreme elements just because they're on your side is part of what caused the Republican party to turn into the disaster it is right now.

androvsky

The full quote might help a touch:
“You see, now, here’s the real problem: It doesn’t matter what your noble goal may be, it doesn’t matter what you say you’re fighting for. When people see that, all they think is, ‘Oh shit, it’s Vegan ISIS,’” said Noah. “Because you don’t realize when you think you’re punching Nazis, you don’t realize that you’re also punching your cause. Because your opponents, they’ll just use every violent incident to discredit your entire movement, and they make it seem like—they make it seem like—in a world where white supremacists have a friend in the White House, the real problem is you guys.”

https://youtu.be/kmpqnxpYUqA?t=324

The whole clip is worth watching before warming up the pitchforks.

Nerokis

“You see, now, here’s the real problem: It doesn’t matter what your noble goal may be, it doesn’t matter what you say you’re fighting for. When people see that, all they think is, ‘Oh shit, it’s Vegan ISIS,’” said Noah. “Because you don’t realize when you think you’re punching Nazis, you don’t realize that you’re also punching your cause. Because your opponents, they’ll just use every violent incident to discredit your entire movement, and they make it seem like—they make it seem like—in a world where white supremacists have a friend in the White House, the real problem is you guys.”

...this doesn't at all read like he's actually calling Antifa "Vegan Isis"? In context, it's actually a funny joke. It's poking fun at people's interpretations, not so much the movement itself.

valeo

He's not wrong? I've seen many people compare ANTIFA to terrorist groups.

Sounds like he's just against the violence, not what the group stands for.

Coming from South Africa I am sure he has seen his fair share of racially motivated violence and I don't blame him for feeling this way.

Kthulhu

Huh? What does he mean by this?

Maybe if the entire bit was in the OP you'd know.

Edit: Lol the Daily Beast didn't even embed the Youtube video. They uploaded it to their own site.

I doubt that it'll put a dent in The Daily Show's overall numbers, but it's still a bit scummy.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
He doesn't directly call them Vegan ISIS, he says other people would call/view them as such. Which is basically true if you watch Fox News at all (even if it's not right, of course).

Antifa isn't equitable to White Supremacists and fascists at all, but that doesn't mean Trevor Noah doesn't have a point about how they cause more harm than good. When parts of Antifa dips into violent counter-protesting, they just give Trump and fascists exactly what they want.

If Antifa is willing to include people under its banner that wanna destroy property and attack people, then it's just gonna make nazi-resistance look like a haven for thugs and anarchists. It is harmful to our cause. This is the exact kind of bullshit that Trump and his ilk can point to and negatively define as the "alt-left." Not people who are merely for equality and against Nazis, but criminals who wanna cause violence and chaos for the sake of it. This is what the other side, and people on the fence will see.

Trevor Noah is not wrong here.
Except for the part about letting neo-nazis claim anime and videogames as their own. Hell no to that.

Nephtis

Any group that not only condones, but encourages violence and property smashing at every turn they can should reasonably be labeled a terrorist group.

Punch Nazis all you want but do it in self defense. Don't be the aggressor. It hurts your cause more than helps it.

hao chi

If you read the full quote he makes sense. Channels like Fox News like to show any violent actions committed by Anti-fascist to try to discredit the entire group.

JABEE

Continuing to prove funny people are not worldly philosophers. Most times they are night-club comics who can make jokes about politicians looking funny, talking weird, and wanting to sleep with their daughter. Most comedians presenting themselves as more than this are full of shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Continuing to prove funny people are not worldly philosophers. Most times they are night-club comics who can make jokes about politicians looking funny, talking weird, and wanting to sleep with their daughter. Most comedians presenting themselves as more than this are full of shit.
🤔

Thread title is misleading. He's saying that's what people think when they see a Fox News montage of Antifa doing violent shit with no context.
Yeah and op's comment about never liking Trevor anyway makes it even dumber. Outrage over nothing imo. Trevor is doing a tremendous job. Protest but don't do dumb stuff like breaking windows. He doesn't think antifa (dumb fucking name) is a terrorist group. He wants to make the people who break windows feel silly by calling them vegan-isis.
Maybe not the best choice of words but he didn't exactly say something that justifies a virtual stoning.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's literally just a rephrasing of the article title, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thread was three posts in before I realised that the actual phrase was missing because it was buried in the article behind a picture, so I hurried up and edited it in.
You should probably check your sources better and finish reading the article in question before making a thread on click bait....

Maddness

I'm going to assume this is G R.R. Martin's GAF account and you hit reply right when the OP went up and just now finished while all these other posts were going on.

I'm going to assume that for sure.

Top Bottom