• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty crazy how much discussion there is around Rey's parents considering there are only two possible choices: Luke/Mystery woman or Han/Leia

What's even crazier is that there isn't another woman to pair with Luke.

Some cantina barmaid, I'd imagine.

Jacobi

Banned
It's pretty crazy how much discussion there is around Rey's parents considering there are only two possible choices: Luke/Mystery woman or Han/Leia

What's even crazier is that there isn't another woman to pair with Luke.

What about the emperor though?

rtcn63

Daisy was raised by Chozos and then kidnapped by a space pirate dragon who convinced her it was her mother

I cannot cosign this enough. I don't think I've cared less about a protagonist and any possible mysteries that are tied to them.

i wouldn't go that far, there are even more uninteresting protagonists in other films but yeah she was certainly dull.

i'm only interested in her parentage because of the Luke or Obi Wan factor, don't give a damn about Rey. hopefully Poe and Kylo get greater sceentime in the next one.

It's pretty typical of jedi masters to have a love child I guess. He probably used the force to wipe her memory of him being her father, since in the flashbacks she is clearly old enough to know who her own father is.

I'm sure they will reveal her mother through flashback scenes where mark hamill is CGI'd to look younger. It'll probably be a whore in a Tatooine brothel. Once Luke sensed the baby was force sensitive, I'm sure he stole Rey from the mother so he could train her at his Jedi Academy.

Ridley327

i wouldn't go that far, there are even more uninteresting protagonists in other films but yeah she was certainly dull.

i'm only interested in her parentage because of the Luke or Obi Wan factor, don't give a damn about Rey. hopefully Poe and Kylo get greater sceentime in the next one.

That's only because they're usually played by Sam Worthington or Jai Courtney.

Oh god, now I'm imagining a Star Wars film with one of those two as a lead, and I may as well drink poison now.

nullref

Whichever option is the one that makes the Universe as small as possible. Every Star Wars film seems to have that effect

Pretty much. Luke seems like the most obvious option – everyone I saw the movie with thought so – but then why even bother making a whole mystery of it? And is Luke really going to have an "I am your father" moment with Rey in the next film? Ugh.

"We abandon our children on desert planets. It's a Skywalker family tradition!"

That's only because they're usually played by Sam Worthington or Jai Courtney.

Oh god, now I'm imagining a Star Wars film with one of those two as a lead, and I may as well drink poison now.

haha. Worthington actually works as the stoic side-character, like in Hacksaw or Everest. if he was cast in Star Wars in a limited supporting role it would be fine. but damn what was Cameron thinking making him the lead in his big franchise.

oh well, Pandora was the selling point of that anyways.

gaugebozo

She can't be an orphan

This confirms that her parents are relevant to the story. Daisys belief that it was clear who it was in Awakens reinforces that fact.

It's probably Luke. no reason why it wouldn't be.

Easy: It's in the perennial sense that Luke isn't her father because he didn't raise her, but Luke the Jedi won't leave her because she is displaying such power.
Just like the whole Obi-Wan "Darth Vader killed your father."

I haven't seen this movie.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think it being Luke is too easy a reveal. It'll probably be Han and Leia's daughter with some reveal that they thought she died in child birth (and maybe she did) but the force brought her back....

granddaughter. or immaculate conception through Obi-Wan's force ghost.

Anakin didn't have a father either...

that'd be super lame tho

"This is Obi Wans Grandaughter!" Yeah and the ugly sith dude(Forgot his name..lol) is Lukes brother. Why not just retcon in characters all over. Oh it turns out Poe was Hans half brother? Cool. Why not.

Rey herself, Daisy Ridley, apparently thought the answer was hiding in plain sight.

If she considers the answer to have been in that movie, then following that logic, whatever in that movie hints at her parentage is the answer.

-The obvious first thing that comes to mind is the quote: "That lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him and now it calls to you!" Immediate, strong implied connection.
-The second obvious thing is that all she wanted throughout the years was to see her family again, and she repeatedly had dreams of Luke's island during this time.
-A third not quite as obvious hint is that Kylo Ren, who trained under Luke, has a peculiarly strong reaction to and interest in Rey even before meeting her and discovering her power. That could indicate a connection from his past.

People have wondered if those are red herrings because they're too obvious, but if Daisy is saying that the movie holds the answer in plain sight, then that means she is related to Luke for sure.

Or, at least she was intended to be when that movie was made. Rian Johnson could have made the decision to go another direction of course. It's fiction and it's still in-progress.

Or, at least she was intended to be when that movie was made. Rian Johnson could have made the decision to go another direction of course. It's fiction and it's still in-progress.

VIII is done filming though

If Luke WASN'T her father and it was some unknown, then she would have never said that her parentage was revealed(if it was some rando)

lukeandleiakissing.jpg

The real reason why Kylo fell to the dark side. Sheer disgust at his mother and uncle fathering a child.

Can't wait to see the abyss of rage once he realizes that he got his ass beat by the half-sister that caused him to fall to the dark side in the first place.

I still hold fast to the idea that she can't possibly be Luke's daughter because of Maz's speech to her in the catacombs. Basically saying, "your parents left you but Luke won't" which wouldn't make sense at all if Luke was also her parent.
Because she's a Solo. Han left everyone to do his own thing (presumably to split trails between he and Leia) and ma stayed with the resistance. She didnt want her to get involved with the movement knowing her brother, Kylo, was a whiny dickbag on the dark side.

Dad taking her under his wing when they reunited. Rey being crushed when dad gets killed. Mom being extra huggy with her when dad died.

Luke wouldn't leave her like her parents did.

of all options, the only one i don't accept as an option is obi-wan. that is just really off the wall. its in a really weird place of having no significance to rey at all while being only significant to the audience, but barely because it makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom