• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
that'd be super lame tho

"This is Obi Wans Grandaughter!" Yeah and the ugly sith dude(Forgot his name..lol) is Lukes brother. Why not just retcon in characters all over. Oh it turns out Poe was Hans half brother? Cool. Why not.

her being related to luke would be pretty stupid too. makes him the biggest wasteman father of the universe since his own dad lol.

ideally her heritage isn't important but it seems like they're gonna make a big deal out of it. :/

I can understand her thinking.. JJ and others probably talked all about her motivations and her history would be included in that... it's probably much more realized in her head compared to what we know.

I dislike all Luke/Leia/Han speculations because no matter which one of them or combinations of them are Rey parents, it put those characters in a very bad light.

her being related to luke would be pretty stupid too. makes him the biggest wasteman father of the universe since his own dad lol.

Like, at least Anakin thought his children are dead. At least Luke and Leia were both left with actual parental figures along with peripheral Jedi supervision.

I dislike all Luke/Leia/Han speculations because no matter which one of them or combinations of them are Rey parents, it put them in a very bad light.

The father/child reveals in Star Wars is kind of played out at this point. I think it's a mistake if they make Luke Rey's father.

ideally her heritage isn't important but it seems like they're gonna make a big deal out of it. :/

But it would make sense. Occams razor

Saying Obi-Wans force ghost impregnated a woman and Daisy popped out is weird

Or more likely she is actually an orphan, whose parents are of no consequence.

Daisey's just trolling.

"I thought it was clear from the film that her parents don't matter and that she let them go to move on with her life. But now that everyone thinks there's a big mystery going on, I'll just fuck with their heads for my own amusement."

I want it to be Luke. I feel like he must have tried to settle down at one point. Boy needed a bit of a happy ending, even for a little while. Do the whole family thing while trying to make a go at the whole temple thing. Then the Knights of Ren attack and he thinks his focus was compromised by family ties or that he needs to safeguard his family and hermits up. Simple obvious stuff.

Steejee

I hope it's not Luke. Star Wars already has waaaaay too much 'handful of people connected to EVERYTHING' thanks to the prequels. Lets not take that into the sequels too. Kylo Ren was enough of a family connection. Luke makes sense, but again, too much of that connection crap.

It'd be nice if Finn, Poe, and Rey were all unrelated to the original trilogy characters, especially as it'd add a bit of a 'changing of the guard' aspect to it all.

If she really does need to be related to someone, make it a random ass connection, like Wedge. The man didn't really have a character beyond 'survived both Death Stars', so you could do whatever you want with him.

Flo_Evans

Got to be Luke.

Her "parents" that left her are the people Luke left her with to protect her. They were probably captured and killed so Luke assumed she was too.

I feel like Han or Leia would have said something.

Herne

Im sure luke had a vision about kylo going evil but he foolishly tried to change the will of the force and sent away his sister as a precaution
Why does Leia not recognize her? Idk bad directing?

Why is it the will of the Force for Kylo Ren to fall?

jett

D-Member
This only works if Luke is her father.

Otherwise

I-dont-believe-you.gif

sphagnum

Banned
I hope it's not Luke. Star Wars already has waaaaay too much 'handful of people connected to EVERYTHING' thanks to the prequels. Lets not take that into the sequels too. Kylo Ren was enough of a family connection. Luke makes sense, but again, too much of that connection crap.

It'd be nice if Finn, Poe, and Rey were all unrelated to the original trilogy characters, especially as it'd add a bit of a 'changing of the guard' aspect to it all.

If she really does need to be related to someone, make it a random ass connection, like Wedge. The man didn't really have a character beyond 'survived both Death Stars', so you could do whatever you want with him.

Star Wars is a family drama, a soap opera in space.

There's nothing wrong with connections in the saga films.

I mean. She takes up her father's sword. How could it be less clear than that?

Because you just invented a whole bunch of steps between 'Rey picks up Luke Skywalker's Sword' and 'Luke Skywalker is Rey's father' ?

Anakin picks up Obi Wan's sword when fighting Dooku in Attack of the Clones. I mean, he picks up his father's sword. How could it be less clear than that?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I do find it interesting that shes walking around with a staff made from Darth Mauls broken lightsaber.

Rey: "I've had this staff since I was abandoned"

Luke: "Your grandfather had many adventures in his time, this is relic from a great duel that changed the fate of your whole family"

Rey: "You knew my my grandfather?"

Luke: "(smiles) I know him still"

But it would make sense. Occams razor

Saying Obi-Wans force ghost impregnated a woman and Daisy popped out is weird

Applying Occams razor to movies (or any fiction really) is a fools errand.

And I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting a force ghost.

I think it's pretty rediculous to think that it's impossible for Obi Wan to have ever had sex with a woman.

Applying Occams razor to movies (or any fiction really) is a fools errand.

And I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting a force ghost.

I think it's pretty rediculous to think that it's impossible for Obi Wan to have ever had sex with a woman.

But with what has been shown and what Daisy has said

applying occams razor and saying 'Oh it's luke' makes the most sense

jett

D-Member
Because you just invented a whole bunch of steps between 'Rey picks up Luke Skywalker's Sword' and 'Luke Skywalker is Rey's father' ?

Anakin picks up Obi Wan's sword when fighting Dooku in Attack of the Clones. I mean, he picks up his father's sword. How could it be less clear than that?

lol

In all fairness, Luke being her father is the simplest explanation.

Her being related to Obi-Wan is just convoluted shit.

There's nothing wrong with connections in the saga films.

Sure there can be. It seems silly when you have a story that spans the Universe and yet it primarily involves a handful of characters all related to each other, and coming together almost entirely through coincidence.

It worked for Luke and Vader, but it was all downhill with Leia

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I honestly find the whole mystery around her parentage to be completely uninteresting. But then I kind of found her character to be uninteresting, so I guess it's natural.
I used to be pretty into it, but discussion has ran it to the ground.

It's too bad the only answers that seem feasable are dumb.

I would take children of the force/chosen one over all of the other ones, even though I hated how they pulled it of with Anakin in the prequels.

bachikarn

It is mad weird for Luke just leave her on a planet. Also pretty sure from a timeline perspective, she was left on the desert planet before all the shit went down with Kylo. Unless Luke didn't realize she had a daughter (I guess like how Vader didn't realize he had kids), it doesn't really make sense.

lol

In all fairness, Luke being her father is the simplest explanation.

Her being related to Obi-Wan is just convoluted shit.

I agree. It would be convoluted shit. Making her parentage a big mystery to then link it back to somebody we know only serves to work as a cheap repetition of shit that has come before and reduce the scale and possibilities of the Star Wars universe.

If she has to be related to anybody, I hope she's the bastard child of Leia and Lando and is a secret black woman.

I was really hoping her parents wouldn't matter, and that she wouldn't be a Skywalker. I think the most obvious choice is her being Han and Leia's. Han pretty quickly takes a special liking to her and gives her some odd looks. The whole weird Leia hug at the end. Kylo clearly has a special interest in her.

Her being Luke's would be my second guess, but that doesn't seem "obvious" enough for her to have thought it was clear in the movie. The only thing that I can think of that strongly leans towards this is the idea that the lightsaber went from father to son to daughter.

Third guess is she is Luke and Leia's.

But with what has been shown and what Daisy has said

applying occams razor and saying 'Oh it's luke' makes the most sense

I can see how appealing the Luke theory is but Maz dialogue and the fact that they used the voices of both Obi Wan actors in her flashback sequence points to being of Kenobi lineage.

It's fiction, so anything is possible but I feel like her being a Solo is unlikely and her being a Skywalker too linear. Obi Wan was basically family through how close he and Anakin were. Adding his lineage to the Main Character mix makes sense.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
While it would be neat if she was Luke's daughter, I'm kind of hoping that she's no one's kid. That she's just a super gifted orphan.

Luke being the father is the right choice. It's a parental match that inherently makes sense with Jedi otherwise being extinct, and the Star Wars franchise has always been arcs of Skywalkers. Anakin (I-III) -> Luke (IV-VI) -> Rey (VII-IX).

However, using the plot line as a "mystery" was a bad mistake. The new trilogy already started out so similar to the OT's plot structure, following that along with a "who's my dad" thread is a part of that. And Luke definitely won't be a satisfying mystery since he's the obvious choice, which is what worried me about VII treating it as a mystery. It's so-obvious-it-has-to-be-a-red-herring material... and at the same time it makes other answers feel like artificial twists just for the sake of it.

But the bottom line is we need Mara Jade in a movie.

sphagnum

Banned
Sure there can be. It seems silly when you have a story that spans the Universe and yet it primarily involves a handful of characters all related to each other, and coming together almost entirely through coincidence.

It worked for Luke and Vader, but it was all downhill with Leia

Its not coincidence though. It's the Force.

sphagnum

Banned
It is mad weird for Luke just leave her on a planet. Also pretty sure from a timeline perspective, she was left on the desert planet before all the shit went down with Kylo. Unless Luke didn't realize she had a daughter (I guess like how Vader didn't realize he had kids), it doesn't really make sense.

Yes, Ben was still Luke's apprentice until at least 5 - 6 years before TFA according to Bloodline. Rey was clearly on Jakku longer than that.

kevin1025

Banned
Luke being the father is the right choice. It's a parental match that inherently makes sense with Jedi otherwise being extinct, and the Star Wars franchise has always been arcs of Skywalkers. Anakin (I-III) -> Luke (IV-VI) -> Rey (VII-IX).

However, using the plot line as a "mystery" was a bad mistake. The new trilogy already started out so similar to the OT's plot structure, following that along with a "who's my dad" thread is a part of that. And Luke definitely won't be a satisfying mystery since he's the obvious choice, which is what worried me about VII treating it as a mystery. It's so-obvious-it-has-to-be-a-red-herring material... and at the same time it makes other answers feel like artificial twists just for the sake of it.

But the bottom line is we need Mara Jade in a movie.

My hope is that Rian Johnson does away with the mystery relatively quickly in the opening where Rey and Luke meet. Just drop the information, have her try and come to grips with the abandonment and the anger, and then move into the story for VIII.

Zereta

No parents, Chosen One reincarnate, Obi-Wan descendant found her and hid her is what I think.

Though she straight up being Obi-Wan's granddaughter would be so insane I want it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom