• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

GoldStarz

DAMN the trailer was amazing :O I like all of the new characters' designs, but rofl at the Ultimate Farmer's voice. Watching the
DR2 cast again gave me the feels, specially when Chiaki appears asdfghjkl definitely didn't expect her to be a student (unless there's some kind of twist?). It's cool that things like Mahiru and Hiyoko being friends or Kazuichi having an obsession with Sonia still happened before the despair stuff. And seems like Nagito hasn't shown his "hopeful" side for at least the first episodes.

Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT.
So Kazuichi invented BBM, I wonder if he also invented the execution machines as people have speculated. Seems like Hiyoko and Ibuki are doing a show for the Monokuma-people, while Fuyuhiko becomes Ultimate Despair before Peko?
And correct me if I'm wrong but, are the little kids
with Nagito: Kotoko and Nagisa?

Well...

Technically that's just a giant Monokuma like the one we saw in DR1, Big Bang Monokuma was developed by Towa and has that crown, although the only functionl difference is that those Monokumas are automated while BBM is piloted. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kazuichi made the DR1 execution machines.

There's technically no evidence in the order of despair yet so IDK where you're getting that from.

And yeah, that's the Warriors of Hope so the events of DRAE clearly haven't been forgotten yet.

Rich!

cant wait until we get to hear the end credits song for despair side, sung by Nagito Komaeda

tumblr_o86i3uYvrJ1vvrnowo1_400.gif

GoldStarz

DIdn't see this posted anywhere, but someone uploaded the special broadcast, there's not much to English-speaking fans, but there are some clips near the end there that haven't been shown before.

Also, is looks like Funi's site is saying there will be 24 episodes for the DR anime total. What worries me though is that it looks like they're kinda frankensteining their translation here. I've never heard anyone say "Hope's Peak High School" before (even in the more weeby translations it was still Kibogamine Academy) but at the same time they're using the term "Ultimate Despair" so they are taking some pages out of NISA's localization over their own. It's just really weird.

Drago

Also, is looks like Funi's site is saying there will be 24 episodes for the DR anime total. What worries me though is that it looks like they're kinda frankensteining their translation here. I've never heard anyone say "Hope's Peak High School" before (even in the more weeby translations it was still Kibogamine Academy) but at the same time they're using the term "Ultimate Despair" so they are taking some pages out of NISA's localization over their own. It's just really weird.

Why... guess it's not really a big deal but it's such a weird translation when Hope's Peak Academy is already established and sounds better. What name did they use for the first anime?

Also what is the streaming situation looking like for this, in terms of air time, whether I need to subscribe to their service or not, etc. Don't see it on any of their schedules or guides at all! Is it still unknown less than 2 days out from air?

GoldStarz

Why... guess it's not really a big deal but it's such a weird translation when Hope's Peak Academy is already established and sounds better. What name did they use for the first anime?

Also what is the streaming situation looking like for this, in terms of air time, whether I need to subscribe to their service or not, etc. Don't see it on any of their schedules or guides at all! Is it still unknown less than 2 days out from air?

It comes out like an hours after it airs or so (11 AM EST) on the day of if you're subscribed and the week after if you're not.

Rich!

I literally talked to him about it like 2 days ago, friggin' chill dude.

Haha, who shoved that spiked stick up your ass? You've already pounced on me in the other thread, chill. I'm just excited about the show and I only discovered this thread recently

as long as it'll be getting an OT from someone, I'm happy

cj_iwakura

Haha, who shoved that spiked stick up your ass? You've already pounced on me in the other thread, chill. I'm just excited about the show and I only discovered this thread recently

as long as it'll be getting an OT from someone, I'm happy

You should probably wait a little longer than five minutes before assuming no one's doing one.

Flunkie

Banned
ok, I need a slight recap of the series because I forgot some details regarding D2 cast's role in all of this and their motivations in D3 despair arc. also, the timeline... any good succinct summaries out there?

GoldStarz

ok, I need a slight recap of the series because I forgot some details regarding D2 cast's role in all of this and their motivations in D3 despair arc. also, the timeline... any good succinct summaries out there?

I've heard that Kyoko summarized 'recent' events in the start of the episode so you probably don't need to worry about that

Just in case though
tl;dr DR2's cast was Ultimate Despair/the Remnants of Despair who caused mass panic around the world. Makoto and co put them into the Neo World Program so that they could be unbrainwashed and freed from Junko's influence, but most of the Future Foundation was against this and wanted to execute them despite they themselves being victims. Makoto went against this and now an unknown time later, Makoto is now facing trial for his actions.

Special Note: Hajime was turned into Izuru Kamukura by Hope's Peak Academy as part of Project Izuru Kamukura which was intended to turn a talentless person like Hajime into someone who was gifted with all talents. However, he was consumed by boredom and self-loathing and when he was forced to play into Junko's First Killing Game, he slaughtered all of his opponents (Hope's Peak's Student Council). Junko of course recorded all this and used it to seed Ultimate Despair's birth. HPA however made things a million times worse by trying to hide Izuru rather than expose themselves and tl;dr he ended up becoming a member of Ultimate Despair himself (although it's noteworthy that he and Junko don't actually get along from what we've seen)

Flunkie

Banned
I've heard that Kyoko summarized 'recent' events in the start of the episode so you probably don't need to worry about that

Just in case though
tl;dr DR2's cast was Ultimate Despair/the Remnants of Despair who caused mass panic around the world. Makoto and co put them into the Neo World Program so that they could be unbrainwashed and freed from Junko's influence, but most of the Future Foundation was against this and wanted to execute them despite they themselves being victims. Makoto went against this and now an unknown time later, Makoto is now facing trial for his actions.

Special Note: Hajime was turned into Izuru Kamukura by Hope's Peak Academy as part of Project Izuru Kamukura which was intended to turn a talentless person like Hajime into someone who was gifted with all talents. However, he was consumed by boredom and self-loathing and when he was forced to play into Junko's First Killing Game, he slaughtered all of his opponents (Hope's Peak's Student Council). Junko of course recorded all this and used it to seed Ultimate Despair's birth. HPA however made things a million times worse by trying to hide Izuru rather than expose themselves and tl;dr he ended up becoming a member of Ultimate Despair himself (although it's noteworthy that he and Junko don't actually get along from what we've seen)

woah, I didn't know that last part. is that from DR Zero? I've always been confused about how that character got turned.

so
DR3 future arc will be makoto's trial for saving the DR2 cast, and the despair arc will be set, obviously, after DR1, before DR2, and before DRAE?

so DR1->DR3Despair->DRAE->DR2->DR3Future

GoldStarz

woah, I didn't know that last part. is that from DR Zero? I've always been confused about how that character got turned.

so
DR3 future arc will be makoto's trial for saving the DR2 cast, and the despair arc will be set, obviously, after DR1, before DR2, and before DRAE?

so DR1->DR3Despair->DRAE->DR2->DR3Future
Yeah, honestly the games only kinda give you have the details of how shitty a school HPA really is.

As for the timeline
DR3D starts before any of the 'main' titles but supposedly goes on the longest

DR3D-------------------------------------->
________DR0 --> DR1 --> DRAE --> DR2 -->DR3F

last chance to give me a good dr3 ot subtitle

I already threw my "First Victim: SDR2's Anime" thing into the ring lmao

Drago

Yeah, honestly the games only kinda give you have the details of how shitty a school HPA really is.

As for the timeline
DR3D starts before any of the 'main' titles but supposedly goes on the longest

DR3D-------------------------------------->
________DR0 --> DR1 --> DRAE --> DR2 -->DR3F
Wait so is it confirmed that
the Despair Arc is going to go all the way out to when they get captured before DR2 or is that just an assumption? I thought it was just how they fell into despair during their school lives though I may have taken the synopsis too literally

If they're covering that much then I have a really good feeling that the pacing is going to go to shit with only 12 eps :(

Wait so is it confirmed that
the Despair Arc is going to go all the way out to when they get captured before DR2 or is that just an assumption? I thought it was just how they fell into despair during their school lives though I may have taken the synopsis too literally

If they're covering that much then I have a really good feeling that the pacing is going to go to shit with only 12 eps :(

Considering the official timeline, it is assumed that the Despair arc will cover at least until DR (DR0 inclusive). But it is still too early to say anything, as we don't know the pacing that the series will take.

If anything, I say that the Future arc will cover
the capture of the Remnants of Despair
in its beginning.

Nohar

So, I am catching up with Ultra Despair Girls... I'm just a little after the second boss fight, and, well (spoilers):

Holy shit that game is dark. I knew the children were messed up, but this is reaching really disturbing degrees. I don't know Monaka's story yet, but so far she appears to be a cruel and needy manipulative bastard. She completly brainwashed the other kids into becoming her puppets. Still, I'm wondering if our "dear" Nagito isn't the one responsible for screwing with the heads of these children in the first place. Just seeing him walking around with that glove covering "you-know-what" gives me the chills.

GoldStarz

So, I am catching up with Ultra Despair Girls... I'm just a little after the second boss fight, and, well (spoilers):

Holy shit that game is dark. I knew the children were messed up, but this is reaching really disturbing degrees. I don't know Monaka's story yet, but so far she appears to be a cruel and needy manipulative bastard. She completly brainwashed the other kids into becoming her puppets. Still, I'm wondering if our "dear" Nagito isn't the one responsible for screwing with the heads of these children in the first place. Just seeing him walking around with that glove covering "you-know-what" gives me the chills.

I think it's pretty clear what made the kids screwed up from the start at the very least Chapter 3 drives it home.

What made them wanna kill all the adult was
the fact that they were all abused by their parents in various forms.

Nohar

I think it's pretty clear what made the kids screwed up from the start at the very least Chapter 3 drives it home.

What made them wanna kill all the adult was
the fact that they were all abused by their parents in various forms.

Yup, I caught on that too. I was just surprised to see
how Monaka got all of them around her little finger. Sadly, it seems they jumped from one abusive relationship to another (seeing Monaka hitting Kotoko repeatidly made me uneasy). And their parents were all horrible persons from what I've gathered.

Yes, it appears as though Hiyoko and Ibuki are using their talents to excite and convert people at a sort of concert/rally. Fuyuhiko being the Ultimate Yakuza was probably really useful in organizing and recruiting people to the UD as well as the concerts and rallies. Not sure who converted first, but Peko would do absolutely whatever Fuyuhiko said, so that could be the case.

The kids are Nagisa and Kotoko, referencing his time in Towa City, which ended with him prepping Monaca to be Junko 2.0..

Well...

Technically that's just a giant Monokuma like the one we saw in DR1, Big Bang Monokuma was developed by Towa and has that crown, although the only functionl difference is that those Monokumas are automated while BBM is piloted. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kazuichi made the DR1 execution machines.

There's technically no evidence in the order of despair yet so IDK where you're getting that from.

And yeah, that's the Warriors of Hope so the events of DRAE clearly haven't been forgotten yet.
Thanks for the answers~
You're right about BBM! Totally forgot about the giant Monokuma shown in the last trial of DR1. Sorry about the Peko bit, when I saw the picture at first I didn't recognize Peko had the Ultimate Despair "forehead look" , so I thought she was fighting Fuyu. Oooops. And I'm so glad they're referencing Despair Girls! :D I was worried about that.

Yup, the game just gets darker/creepy from now on. lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Funimation has announced the dub cast for both DR3 animes.

.......well at least the anime based on the DR2 cast has more returning voices compared to the DR1 anime. They got:

- Johnny Yong Bosch as Hajime
-
Christine Cabanos as Chiaki
(I guess spoilers? You see this person in the first episode of Despair Arc), but I feel like playing it safe for some reason)
- Todd Haberkorn as Teruteru
- Patrick Seitz as Nekomaru
- Carrie Keranen as Mahiru
- Natalie Hoover as Sonia
- Kyle Hebert as Kazuichi
- Kira Buckland as Hiyoko
- Stephanie Sheh as Mikan
- Bryce Papenbrook as Nagito (no surprise there, he was the only person to actually return in the DR1 anime)

Whopping 10 of the 16 main characters have their game VAs returning...granted, I think more people returned because some of those people tend to work on a bunch of Funimation dubs, so probably was easier to get them compared to DR1's VAs.

Also, I'm guessing "we don't want to risk getting sued by Sunrise" reasons because Gundham Tanaka was referred to as "Tanaka the Forbidden One"

Sölf

That moment, when you decide to start Ultra Despair Girls again an the game freezes at the first introduction of the Warrior's of Hope. >_>

I blame the japanese voices. Or maybe it's only this first introduction, I accidentaly skipped it when I got there first.

Shizuka

I've asked on the anime OT, but I guess this is the more appropriate venue. I'm sorry if this out of place or breaking any kind of rule, but where can I find the translated Kirigiri novel to read?

D-Man

Is it possible that New DR V3 won't make its planned 2016 release? We're almost in September and it's been a while since we've seen anything regarding the game.

FluxWaveZ

Is it possible that New DR V3 won't make its planned 2016 release? We're almost in September and it's been a while since we've seen anything regarding the game.

This is what I've been thinking for a while. I feel that August was the deadline for a release date announcement if the game wouldn't be delayed into 2017. There's the possibility that they don't want to start marketing in earnest until Danganronpa 3 is done, but that'd be way too late to then release V3 this year.

We'll likely hear something about it at TGS, though.

Lusankya

We'll probably get the answer for that during the TGS, although I agree that a release date this year seems doubtful. Maybe early next year?

FluxWaveZ

i really doubt it. that will assuredly be hardware focused and v3 isnt the game to show the NEO's power

The 2016 PlayStation Press Conference in Japan? It'll very likely be similar to the past pre-TGS conferences, so a lot of upcoming and new software will be featured. I'd expect V3 to be there more than not.

PaulBizkit

HELP

I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 but not Another Episode and I want to watch both anime series.

Do i need to play Another Episode before watching Future and Despair Arcs??

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've only watched up to episode 5 of both for the time being, so while I'm not certain for Despair, I do know in Future, there IS something that you won't get if you skip Another Episode.

HELP

I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 but not Another Episode and I want to watch both anime series.

Do i need to play Another Episode before watching Future and Despair Arcs??

Watch an LP or read a summary with the main menu theme playing in the background. DRAE isn't worth your time nor money. I'd recommend it indeed.

Top Bottom