• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

You even jump on a monster and control it, making it stomp and use its arms. That's totoally a GoW ripoff. :lol :lol

I enjoyed it. I'll buy it when it's half priced.

tino

Banned
This is like GOW, but without the budget for cut scenes and set pieces.

I look forward to darksider much more than this. That seem to have interesting combat animation.

jett

D-Member
Finally played the demo.

Horrible first level, to be honest. The presentation in this game is ways off from matching its inspiration, and frankly I'm not surprised at all it runs at 60fps, it looks like a freaking PS2 game. I appreciate the fact that the team aimed for 60fps, but I think they sold these consoles short. The gameplay mechanics offered in the demo are very simple-minded(reminds me more of the first GOW1, I find it hard to believe people actually like this more than the GOW3 demo), and like others have said it fails to capture the feeling of brutality you get with Kratos. Actually, despite all the self-hype from EA this game doesn't really feel all that violent. BTW the boss fight against Death was really boring, I don't quite understand how did this guy managed to defeat Death. DEATH. But okay. :p

Based on the demo this is a definitive pass for me. Releasing it so close to GOW3 just makes it worse. I guess 360-only owners will get their Kratos fix with this game.

I noticed they changed Dante's double jump to a somersault, at least they're trying to improve some things from GOW. :p

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
jett said:
Finally played the demo.

Horrible first level, to be honest. The presentation in this game is ways off from matching its inspiration, and frankly I'm not surprised at all it runs at 60fps, it looks like a freaking PS2 game. I appreciate the fact that the team aimed for 60fps, but I think they sold these consoles short. The gameplay mechanics offered in the demo are very simple-minded(reminds me more of the first GOW1, I find it hard to believe people actually like this more than the GOW3 demo), and like others have said it fails to capture the feeling of brutality you get with Kratos. Actually, despite all the self-hype from EA this game doesn't really feel all that violent. BTW the boss fight against Death was really boring, I don't quite understand how did this guy managed to defeat Death. DEATH. But okay. :p

Based on the demo this is a definitive pass for me. Releasing it so close to GOW3 just makes it worse. I guess 360-only owners will get their Kratos fix with this game.

I noticed they changed Dante's double jump to a somersault, at least they're trying to improve some things from GOW. :p

Pretty much this.

After playing GoW II HD, it's what I would compare Dante's Inferno to the most. No way does it even dream of outclassing even GoW III's demo.

Still, i'd probably rent it. I'm a sucker for action games.

Dude Abides

Banned
jett said:
BTW the boss fight against Death was really boring, I don't quite understand how did this guy managed to defeat Death. DEATH. But okay. :p

Yes. Hold block. Wait for Death attack animation to end. Hit square as many times as you can until next attack animation begins. Hold block. Do this for five minutes and you will have cheated Death!

DeadGzuz

Banned
The graphics and mechanics are good, but the story and backdrop are poor. Righteous crusader battles the forces of Hell by shooting crosses? The crazy Christians are going to support this game and think it was based on real life.

I can't really tell if the game is supposed to be taken seriously or not... Sorta feels like it's trying to be so over-the-top "hardcore" that it almost becomes a parody. I mean, it opens with the guy who's so bad-ass he's sewing a cross into his chest. :lol

I really wanted some cheesy one-liners in there like "I'm so holy, I just killed Death!" Maybe it's just because of the heavy subject matter being combined with an action game or something. Or maybe it's just me.

I did enjoy it though. Blatant God of War rip-off (even the health refills are green!), but it was pretty fun. Imagery is really cool and I loved the 2D animated parts of the cutscenes. Worth a rental at least.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I loved how in the beginning, after wiping out five dozen enemies, the main guy just stands there for a few seconds...just stands there, mind you...as some random dude walks up and stabs him in the back nonchalantly. :lol

Decent game, but I lost respect for the main character when he said "whatever you are, have mercy on me!". I know I shouldn't compare but Cratos being a bad ass and the Ninja Blade guy being duty bound just makes this guy look like a wimpering sack of shit by comparison. Maybe he gets tougher as the story goes on.

I'll never understand the sewing the fabric into his body. He was a lunatic way before any of this started. VERY good CGI though. I was blown away.

jett said:
Finally played the demo.

Yeah. I'm really not impressed whatsoever. The only thing I really liked was the upgrade system, which actually looks neat and like it has some pretty cool RPG elements, but I didn't get to tinker with it. The graphics were worse than I thought they'd be, though locked 60fps is nice, of course. I just wasn't feeling it - the demo lacks soul, ironically enough. Between the several different graphical styles, the uninspired graphics, and gameplay that really wasn't super-special, it just didn't feel at all AAA to me.

Oh, and one thing they forgot to rip off from God of War that they should have - roll-dodging should pause your combo timer, ffs.

Danielsan

chubigans said:
I loved how in the beginning, after wiping out five dozen enemies, the main guy just stands there for a few seconds...just stands there, mind you...as some random dude walks up and stabs him in the back nonchalantly. :lol
It's definitely ridiculously dumb. :lol

Cesar

Banned
Dude Abides said:
Yes. Hold block. Wait for Death attack animation to end. Hit square as many times as you can until next attack animation begins. Hold block. Do this for five minutes and you will have cheated Death!

That's not what he means. It's a bit strange that just some random dude kills Death without much of a fight. It's suposed to be mother****ing Death. And it's a lame fight anyway. But that's videogames offcourse.

I think it's a pretty good game but I don't see a reason to buy this over GoW3. About every gameplay mechanic seems ripped from GoW, even Rage of the titans is in there.

Played the demo today, besides being the biggest ripoff of a game this gen (even more then saints row) I have to say I kind of enjoyed it, ha.

gogojira

Played through it last night and wasn't impressed. I'm going to repeat what just about everyone has already noted and say it's a total God of War ripoff, and that would be fine if it wasn't missing a lot of what makes GoW enjoyable.

Granted this is all from a short demo, but I really didn't find myself having a good time. The characters and their acting is pretty bad, and the fight with Death was extremely dull. And that line Death spewed in the end was so bad. :lol

The demo isn't horrible, it's just not that good either. Gamefly'd.

njean777

I played the demo, and i was gonna pick this game up, but after playing the demo it is apparent that this game is a total GOW rip. I mean everything was just like GOW. The camera movements, the enemies, bosses.

It looks like this one will be a rental for me, i will be purchasing Bayonetta instead.

honestly, who gives a fuck about it being a gow rip!??! The game has an amazing story, amazing story telling, and runs fucking incredible. I was not impressed by the gow3 as much I am with this.

Call it a gow rip all you guys want, but This game is what GOW3 should be, play like, and look like.

And I did switch and play both demos back to back. Dante's just seems so much more fluid.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Broadbandito said:
honestly, who gives a fuck about it being a gow rip!??! The game has an amazing story, amazing story telling, and runs fucking incredible. I was not impressed by the gow3 as much I am with this.

Call it a gow rip all you guys want, but This game is what GOW3 should be, play like, and look like.

And I did switch and play both demos back to back. Dante's just seems so much more fluid.

:lol :lol :lol

jett

D-Member
Broadbandito said:

Well that would certainly make the "GOW3 is GOW in HD!" crowd happy :lol

I never gush over a demo. Honestly. The guys at visceral must be gods. I just was not impressed with GOW3 after playing Uncharted 2. I was hoping for more with GOW3 demo. I will leave any more judgement for when the game is out. I am not bashing GOW3, I am going to buy it. It's just that, Dante's demo has completely blown me away with just how smooth everything is.

I know I am going to get flamed.

Rolf NB

glaurung said:
What's with the stitching on the pectorals?

Is Dante supposed to be sick or sumthin?
Something about brandishing himself with his own sins. It was in one of those numerous behind-the-scenes vids. Makes me groan, too.

Majmun

Broadbandito said:

When you're talking about framerate? Yes, GOWIII should also run just as smooth.
But for everythinh else? No and :lol

I haven't played the demo that was released but I have played the demo that was on the comic con floor and the demo they released to the public was way less impressive(from the playthrough I saw). I wonder why they would even do that. Its obvious the demo is from the start of the game. Yet the demo I played was pretty fucking epic and definetly better looking then what I see here.

Broadbandito said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol why would you even claim that

Chromax said:
Based on the demo? LOL no....:lol :lol :lol

You are correct. I didn't mean to say it like that. Im talking about the story behind Dante's Inferno, and the layers of hell. It is a HELL of a story ;-)

Man oh man I should keep quiet

ZAnimus

I was looking forward to this, but while playing the demo there was just a kind of trashy feeling to the game which I don't like. I don't really know how to properly verbalise it -- Prototype (which I didn't like at all) had the same sort of quality to it. I'm probably skipping this.

Majmun

Broadbandito said:
You are correct. I didn't mean to say it like that. Im talking about the story behind Dante's Inferno, and the layers of hell. It is a HELL of a story ;-)

The Norse mythology is also very interesting. But that didn't save Too Human.

Dante's Inferno concept and story is very intruiging, but we haven't seen how EA has handled it. We can't judge by the demo.

Broadbandito said:

The poem's excellent, and also has nothing to do with Beatrice going to hell, Crusade war crimes, or a guy killing Death and then rampaging through Hell killing everything in his path.

Second said:

Dante's Inferno concept and story is very intruiging, but we haven't seen how EA has handled it. We can't judge by the demo.

yea but too human had a huge list of problems with the game itself.

Violater

This is the next best thing to GOW imo and that is totally not a bad thing.
I don't need innovation spewing out of every orifice, just enough happening onscreen to keep me entertained.

Chromax

ZAnimus said:
I was looking forward to this, but while playing the demo there was just a kind of trashy feeling to the game which I don't like. I don't really know how to properly verbalise it -- Prototype (which I didn't like at all) had the same sort of quality to it. I'm probably skipping this.

I have the exact same feeling! :D It does seem better than Prototype though, so I'll give it a chance, but what you said was what I can't put my hands on.

KAOz

Short bus special
Played it through quite quickly. I have never played God of War at all (aiming to find the God of War Collection, thinking of importing it since EU is stupid with the March release), but from what I have seen, it's basically like this. But I can't really comment further then that.
I really enjoyed it though. And could quite easily see myself picking this up (together with the whole GoW-series).

What I feel they should have done though, is to have taken one of the Hell-levels instead. Show off what sets it apart from other games. The artdirection seems quite badass, but, I think a Hell-level would probably show it off a little bit better.

Otherwise, short, and sweet.

vehn

I don't get what all the hate is about and all the comparisons between GOW3 popping up everywhere. Its like saying all FPSs or all RPGs are the same... I think DI differentiates itself enough with the setting and magic system, among other things

Sascha23

Banned
Yeah, this demo ran incredibly fast.

However, I felt totally bored the whole time. Felt like a I was playing a weird clone of GoW, but with bland character design and graphics. I'm sure the story will be decent, but I would prefer both the story and graphics to be on an epic scale.

Perhaps the GoW3 demo and graphics have spoiled me, but I don't see any reason to pick this up with a game like GoW3 coming out a month later.

codecow

Broadbandito said:

Actually I am quite enjoying your comments, please continue... :D

Sascha23

Banned
vehn said:
I don't get what all the hate is about and all the comparisons between GOW3 popping up everywhere. Its like saying all FPSs or all RPGs are the same... I think DI differentiates itself enough with the setting and magic system, among other things

Did you play the demo? The right analog stick even controls your character's rolling stance (rather than the camera)--a bizarro copy of the GoW control scheme. I don't know of many (if any) other games that really cloned GoW like that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Second said:

Actually, you sort of can. What they've presented so far deviates quite a bit from the poem. :lol

The sad thing is that I will probably choose this over Bayonetta ... Setting, story + cutscenes rock so much, and I'm not a hardcore NG/DMC style player.

Also the Bayonetta j-pop pisses me off and Dante is badass.

JudgeN said:
Dante's Inferno Demo PS3

Part1 Avg:59.990 Tear:0.000%
http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/472/

Part2 Avg:60.000 Tear:0.000%
http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/473/

Here is the analysis for those who care. The locked 60 FPS is wonderful, but I do hope the later levels looks alittle better.

Awesome. The game is so crisp and smooth. Also using AA it seems.

vehn said:

huh

Dartastic

Darkpen said:
Just finished the demo, and I have to say, I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Sure, graphically its kinda really poor, and I really dislike the fact that rolling is done with the right thumb stick (I'm so much more used to block+rolling/dodging in NGS2), but despite it blatantly stealing various USPs of the GoW franchise, I honestly enjoyed this far more than my impressions of the time I've spent with the GoW games, including the GoW3 demo.

Not only did this demo demonstrate the upgrade system, and its rather interesting approach to what feels like a mix between Bioshock's harvest/save system and a combat/abilty upgrade tree, but it also appealed to my agnostic sensibilities of "lol u fucked up, but its ok, you can redeem yourself."

Not to mention, how cool is it that the scythe he gets is from Death :lol :lol I found that detail to be absolutely hilarious, and just makes me that much more interested in the game.

Also, boobs <3

I'm glad some people are finally starting to feel this game. :D

jett

D-Member
2real4tv said:
so that mean
120fps on 360
.....just kidding

Considering how it looks I'm sure both consoles are more than capable of running it at 120 frames per second. :p

Top Bottom