• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

vulva

I didn't like it at all. The gameplay was boring, being forced to wait for the cutscenes to end was boring, there was nothing particularily engaging at any point for me and I ended up zoning out while mashing square and triangle and didn't die. I guess I didn't have any expectations/knowledge on this game beforehand so I can't say I'm disappointed, but I really hated playing the demo. However, there were tits so I'm gonna buy 5 copies for each of my consoles.

brunoa76

Wow this game has turned from good to not worth it when I've played the GOW3 demo just after it.
The final GOW3 version is going to kick Dante's ass !!!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Not terrible by any means. Extremely competent but lacks any imagination. This is about as copy and paste as it gets, gameplay wise. If this is "me too" future is what EA is heading toward then with all due respect, Mr. Ricotello, noooo thank you.

DihcarEM

RSLAEV said:
Well you have to admit the marketing depicts him as some kind of roided-out-rage-fueled-god slaying-machine that occasionally takes a break from kicking ass and taking names to bang the hawtest chick in the room. He reminds me of assholes I've known, and then when I realize that those assholes would definitely love playing as this guy...well I naturally get repulsed.

I highly doubt there is anyone in the real world like Kratos.
Kratos knew who he was, a killer, a conquerer.
And the main-character in DI is a trainwreck compared to Kratos.
He's not a "flawed" character, he's just an amazingly stupid character.
"Duhh, it was alright to kill thousends of innocent men,women and childeren because some supposadly holy man told us it was cool,duhhh".
And those assholes that remind you of Kratos are probaly just like you, they don't get Kratos, they just look at the superficial stuff.

Lord Error said:
Admittedly Corry screwed the pooch a bit in that sense with second game, but the original cannot just be dismissed because of the sequel.

I disagree, it would be a regression of character if Kratos had again reverted to his "problems" that he went trough in part 1. He dealt with them, it was over, the only thing he had left in part 2 was his rage.
In Chains of olympus
the family theme was revisited. There it made sense, but they can't do that in every GOW game, it gets boring after a while. And that's why in part2 it gives way to something bigger, betrayel by the father and Kratos's destiny is revealed. At the end of part 2 he accepts his destiny(to bring down the gods) and now in part 3 is the ending.

gillFTR

The demo was decent for it what it was, I thought the textures were horrible but at 60 fps somethings gotta give. A lot of GoW3 talk of course it plays the same but we shouldn't talking about GoW3 lightly considering we haven't seen anything which I'm guessing they have shown us very little of what the game is going to achieve... and with this new trailer people are talking about I think they are going to really reveal the epic scale the game will be(aka titan boss fights)...and I don't see dante's matching it.

Blah blah blah GOW. Blah blah blah, clone.
Blah blah blah going down on Kratos.
Blah blah blah.

Oh, did anyone notice there's custom soundtracks... in the demo? :D
What else have you noticed about the demo that isn't a comparison?

zoukka

Framerate was better.
Big minotaur had better animations than most enemies in GoW.
Cross weapon was badass.

Everything else pretty uninspired.

Feindflug

The game gets too much hate, sure the comparisons with GoW3 are expected but clone or not the game plays, controls and looks fine..the first areas of the demo looked kinda rough but after the graveyard the game looks much better IMO.

Also the combat feels right to me, from the videos I've seen I was worried about that but after playing the demo I'm pretty satisfied with the feel of the game, also the silky smooth 60fps for another time is so good and makes the animations look even better (especially the animations where you
control the beast in the end of the demo looked really really nice
).

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised with the demo mainly because my expectations were kinda low and wasn't expecting a game better or equal to GoW3 - I'm definitely getting it. :)

I enjoyed it more than the GOW3 demo tbh.

- The pacing is better.
- Combat is near identical but I like some of little animation touches on both Dante and his enemies.
- The QTEs weren't very well done though, found them hard to follow visually.
- Graphics (obviously) not as good.
- Both games have two-dimensional characterisation so who gives a flying fuck? I've long given up on the concept of this having any ties to Dantes Inferno other than the name and basic theme.
- Good news about custom soundtracks.

2010 is the year of the beat 'em up it seems. There's room for more than one sports fans.

Edit: Tits are gud. Fuck the haters.

This game is embarrassing. I feel awkward being around it.

Why did he have to sow shit into his chest? What happened to shirts with crosses on them? He looked fine in the beginning of the demo. Beyond the design, he just seems uninteresting. For some reason he reminded me of a generic Clive Owen.

Those animated bits were alright when they looked like they were done on red burlap. Then it changed styles...and...uhhhh.

Class_A_Ninja said:

Why did he have to sow shit into his chest? What happened to shirts with crosses on them? He looked fine in the beginning of the demo. Beyond the design, he just seems uninteresting. For some reason he reminded me of a generic Clive Owen.

Those animated bits were alright when they looked like they were done on red burlap. Then it changed styles...and...uhhhh.
Because he follows the design school of Dude Bro?

soldat7

Kinda not fair that I played the Bayonetta (360) demo first. Dante's Inferno is trying too hard to be eXtr3me and ends up feeling very flat.

Class_A_Ninja said:

Aren't most games? Personally I think this is fairly restrained compared to GOW3, DMC4 and Bayonetta.

GeoramA

It's a decent GoW clone. Biggest complaint is definitely the combat. Not fun at all.

The 60fps is nice and all, but doesn't matter since the animation is pretty bad. Doesn't help that GoWIII has the best animation I've ever seen in a game.

Not a day 1 buy, but it's a good action game with some nice ideas. Definitely prefer it over the DMC-like games out there.

Sanchito

timkunedo said:
I've played through the demo twice now and am definitely buying it day one! EPIC!!!

I guess I am crazy too, as I enjoyed the demo. I really love GOW, and this kinda felt like that. To each is own, I reckon. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chrange said:
And the sequel can't be dismissed because of the original either. He might have started out as a character with something to offer, but he's pretty much a generic rage machine in the second game :p

I don't know about you, but I judge a character based on his latest games, not just his first one and ignoring any others. That's why Sonic sucks.
So then why ignore Chains of Olympus? Generic Rage Machine in 1 games, not Generic Rage Machine in 2 games? 33% Generic Rage?

Not only that, but God of War 2 sets itself up pretty obviously as part 1 of a 2-part story arc. There are tons of signs that Kratos is almost certainly going to regret his actions very, very deeply. The game's not whatsoever in favor of his rage-high, and not just because of the reprehensible stuff he does, and that implicit criticism is sure to be borne out more clearly in God of War 3.

JB1981

I think I enjoyed myself. I found the cutscenes uniquely appealing. I have not seen cutscenes done this way before. It was like a strange marriage of CG and in-game graphics (with matte paintings or someshit). Very different 'look' about it. I'll just echo what has already been said, good God of War clone, solid 60fps, clean IQ. Graphics are nowhere near GOW 3 demo levels, very bland art direction etc. But there aren't many games like this on the market so I will probably play it and enjoy myself.

Violater

From PSN store update email

Dante's Inferno™: The Gates of Hell Demo

Discover an epic adventure based on the first part of Dante Alighieri's masterpiece, The Divine Comedy. Playing as Dante, you must defeat Death and arm yourself with his scythe as you prepare to descend into the nine circles of Hell and rescue the soul of your beloved Beatrice from Lucifer himself.

1-4 Players (with Network Play features) :lol

God of War didn't invent this kind of game, but it did set the bar and this game meticulously copies every GoW mechanic, it's pretty funny :lol It just completely rips the template.

It's pretty fun, too, I'll definitely get it. The game lacks God of War 2 HD's impact and epic feel, never mind God of War 3's, but it's still a good beat 'em up and I like the setting.

Yeah, pretty much the demo made me not want to buy this at $60, but because I'm happy to play a smaller-budget GoW clone, a purchase is pretty much guaranteed once the price drops.

I'm not sure if anybody has talked about this yet since I just skimmed the thread and I really shouldn't get my hopes up because it's just a demo but, is the level design good?

Fimbulvetr said:
I'm not sure if anybody has talked about this yet since I just skimmed the thread and I really shouldn't get my hopes up because it's just a demo but, is the level design good?
It's really too brief to truly be able to say. There's no real platforming or puzzles in the demo, just (essentially) a series of combat rooms connected by pathways, so in that sense the demo's level design isn't really something it's trying to show off at all.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Just got done playing the demo and I enjoyed it. I see no problem with this game being a GOW clone. If anything, it gets me warmed up and more hyped for GOW3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They basically took the Dead Space philosophy of "doing something that has proven itself already, but doing it well and still fresh", but with Dead Space it wasn't in your face, it wasn't obviously a RE game in space, so it felt original and unique. Not this one.

Captain N

The game seems fine to me and it was pretty fun to play. Animation is probably the biggest problem I have with Dante's Inferno. Transitions from one animation to the other isn't nearly as smooth and seamless as I'd like.

the level design isn't anything to write home about, but at the same time it isn't something I thought was bad.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
GeoramA said:
It's a decent GoW clone. Biggest complaint is definitely the combat. Not fun at all.

The 60fps is nice and all, but doesn't matter since the animation is pretty bad. Doesn't help that GoWIII has the best animation I've ever seen in a game.

Not a day 1 buy, but it's a good action game with some nice ideas. Definitely prefer it over the DMC-like games out there.

What?

Darklord

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
They basically took the Dead Space philosophy of "doing something that has proven itself already, but doing it well and still fresh", but with Dead Space it wasn't in your face, it wasn't obviously a RE game in space, so it felt original and unique. Not this one.

But it wants to get than 360 market that has no GoW. The only reason that the PS3 is getting an early demo and bonus stuff is because of GoW.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Aren't most games? Personally I think this is fairly restrained compared to GOW3, DMC4 and Bayonetta.

Actually, you have a point. Most games are embarrassing and make me feel a bit awkward.

Take for example one of my favorite games, Metal Gear Solid 3. Before I played it, I thought the Snake Eater title was absurd and there was no chance I would like the game. Then came Ocelot with weird hand motions and cat noises. Then someone did a back flip on a motorcycle to disarm an enemy. It was embarrassing, but by the end of the game I was eating that shit up.

Even good, high-budget movies have those moments where you scratch your head and wonder how someone didn't fix an awkward scene. By the end of the best movies, you realize those things are part of what make it a great work. By the end of a b-movie, those things consume it and make it terrible.

I think Dante's Inferno will probably be terrible, but I could be wrong. I'm willing to take that chance and not play it.

AntMurda

I thought the demo was great. I actually want to buy it now. It is a super God of War ripoff, and the story and visuals are intriguing. The gameplay is pretty fun.

Aru

Dante's Inferno = God of War with templars :/

Well, it's good but I didn't really enjoy it that much. Combat is good but the graphics feel a bit old. Maybe it was because I was too close to the TV :lol

Probably a good rental, but choosing between this and GoW3 just judging by their respective demos is a no brainer :p

Just finished the demo, :lol @Acre and Florence Assassins Creed locales. It was pretty good I have to say, GOW3 will no doubt top it overall but its a solid game for what it is, even if it shamelessly takes a lot of mechanics from GOW3, I'll probably buy it, it was fun enough, it'll be a nice precursor to playing GOW3.

jerutyaj

Neo Member
The Demo surprised, was better than I thought, once I got the cross, everything felt right, that said, this story seems hard to follow, and GOW is still the daddy of this genre, and well I'm broke, so I'll wait the extra month to play the genuine article. Will buy used when its 20-25 pounds though

Playing the Beyonetta Demo right after this one really shows this games shortcomings. This game just exists in this weird place. Beyonetta comes out a month before it and GOW3 a month after it and both look to be much better than Dante's Inferno. And for trying to be all dudebro and extreme with the boobs and gore it never felt as graphic as GOW, so it really doesn't have that going for it either.

chris0701

IMO,the visual effect of DI is very good,and it has 60fps output.

People who only put "good" on visual side seem to be too picky.:lol

I have played both GOWIII demo and DI,this GOW rip-off really wows me at some point.

wow, I turned the demo off once it gets past the church falling away and a big barrel starts pushing you along. Not impressed at all, good thing we have Bayonetta and GOW coming, I enjoyed both of those demos ALOT.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Visually it is disappointing. Devil May Cry 4 looks better, runs at 60fps and came out in 08. That said, I don't think this opening area will look anywhere near as good as when you descend into Hell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Awesome. Can't wait to take part in the complete butchering of classic literature. (download faster dammit!)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kinda turned off by the demo. I hate to add on to the hate, but yeah...I'll be saving my pennies towards Bayonetta, not this.

Darklord said:
But it wants to get than 360 market that has no GoW. The only reason that the PS3 is getting an early demo and bonus stuff is because of GoW.
The 360 market will have Bayonetta though, and its demo was vastly superior.

Top Bottom