• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours |OT| A local couch co-op shmup in 2015, aw yiss.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
logo.png

Summary:

Darius Lore:

chronology.png

1904 D.C. (Darius Calendar)

When a Belser virus rent the hyperspace network to tatters, every craft in the human space fleet with a network link was stripped of all communications capabilities. The ensuing chaos saw the entire fleet devastated in the blink of an eye.

The Silver Hawk fighters were the only craft from Planet Darius to escape the massacre. Equipped with Burst technology, these two cutting-edge craft were entrusted to humanoid AI terminal Ti2 and test pilot Riga Pratica.

Flying the Silver Hawk Burst fighters alone into enemy territory without network support, the two heroes braved overwhelming odds to secure victory and liberation for Darius.

It is now 1910 D.C., and repairs on the hyperspace network have begun to reconnect the pockets of humanity scattered across the vast reaches of space. Combat data transmitted from Darius soon sees Burst-equipped Silver Hawk fighters constructed in every inhabited galaxy.

The stage is set for mankind’s grand counteroffensive. A team of heroes takes wing, flying into battle and the
pages of history.

Gameplay

AC, EX, and Chronicle Modes:

ac_pic_1.png

CS Mode:

cs_pic_1.png

Powerups:

item.png

Shot Levels:
  1. The initial shot equipment, which fires missiles. It can dissipate certain types of enemy fire.
  2. A laser that cuts through enemies. It can also dissipate certain types of enemy fire.
  3. Fires a wave that cuts through enemies and obstacles.

Bomb Levels:
  1. The initial bomb equipment, which can fire bombs downwards from the front of the ship.
  2. Fires two bombs upwards and downwards, from the front of the ship.
  3. Fires four bombs upwards and downwards, from both the front and the back of the ship.

ARM Levels:
  1. Boosts the ship's durability. Initially, the durability is boosted by 3, then by 1 with each additional item acquired.
  2. Boosts the ship's durability. Initially, the durability is boosted by 3, then by 1 with each additional item acquired.
  3. Boosts the ship's durability by 3 and protects it from collisions with the environment.

Ships:

• Legend: Well-balanced and easy to use
  • Next: Its bombs follow the target and its Burst points at the ship when detached
  • Formula: Short-ranged but very powerful shots
  • Origin: Can't burst but has remarkable powerful shots and bombs
  • 2nd: Can't burst but has powerful shots and its laser shoots through obstacles
  • Gaiden: Instead of a Burst, it shoots a Black Hole Bomb, it is a powerful attack that sucks up enemies and bullets.
  • Assault: Instead of a regular Burst, this ship features a "Spark Burst". When pressed once,the Spark Burst continues moving forward as it destroys enemies and bullets. It disappears once the Burst Gauge runs out. If the Burst is pressed again during a Spark Burst, a devastating Spark Finish in unleashed.
  • Genesis: Instead of a regular Burst, this ship features an "α Burst Beam". When playing with 2 more players, hold down the Burst Button to prepare for a Burst. When you release the Burst Button, you will fire an α Burst Beam until the Burst Gauge runs out. By hitting an enemy's Burst Beam with your α Burst Beam, you can easily activate a Burst Counter. The longer you counter an enemy's Burst Beam, the more powerful the α Burst Beam becomes.

Burst Mechanic:

pic_2.jpg

Holding the Burst button uses some of the Burst Gauge in order to fire the Burst beam, the Silver Hawk Burst's most powerful weapon. The gauge can be recharged by attacking enemies, connecting with lasers and dissipating enemy bullets.

pic_4.jpg

Press the Burst Button twice quickly, or press the Fixed Burst Button to lock the Burst Part that fires the beam. In addition to destroying enemies, it can dissipate almost all enemy bullets. It uses less Burst Gauge energy than the normal Burst Beam, and can last for a longer amount of time. Hold down the Shot Button during a Fixed Burst to lock its direction.

When you release the Shot Button, the Burst Beam's nozzle will rotate. The direction of the beam is affected by the positioning of the Burst Part in relation to your ship. For LEGEND and FORMULA, it will be the reverse of your ship's direction. For NEXT, it will be the same direction your ship is facing.

If you hold down the Shot Button again after changing direction, you can lock the direction of the beam. If you press the Burst Button again or run out of Burst Gauge, the Fixed Burst will deactivate.

pic_5.jpg

If you activate your Burst at the same time as an Enemy's Burst while in the path of their beam, you will fire a powerful Counter Beam. You can also activate Counter Beams from other directions with the correct timing. Firing your Burst just as the enemy Burst hits your ship is key.

Game Modes

AC Original + EX:

The original 2010 arcade game, runs at 32:9 so it may look very tiny on the Vita or small TV/monitors. A must play with 2 side-by-side monitors, bonus points for mirror set-up. EX is similar to AC but with 12 extra super-hard stages. Recommended for those who have mastered AC.

Chronicle Mode:

In this mode you can choose individual missions consisting of rearranged levels and bosses with various possible set parameters. This is where the online part comes into play: players can choose one of 64 different cabinets, all players who have selected the same cabinet will unlock things as a group as they progress in this mode. Think of the Souls games but you only see bloodstains, and these bloodstains unlock levels.

CS Mode:

As far as I know, this is just like Chronicle Mode but with extra exclusive bosses and different screen resolution (best for single-monitor set-ups and the Vita screen). In both Chronicle and CS modes you may encounter stages based on previous Darius games!

Event Mode:

Event Mode allowed players on the arcade version to download seasonal maps and fight special encounters. Degica has posted on the Steam forums that they're not sure yet if this will be used in the PC/console versions.

Reviews

Will post as they come

Links

Credits to Toshin for sharing with me the Dariusburst Another Chronicle English User’s Guide (from where I stole a lot of info) and the Official English website (from where I stole pretty much all the info).

Nice OT :)

Confused by the late JP release, but I've got it preordered physically none the less. If we get US physical before then by some miracle of LRG, I'll cancel my preorder.

Until then I'll just be sad that other people are shooting fish and I'm not :(

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm open to suggestions on what else to include in the OT. Please send them to me via PM or just post them here. I'll probably get around to polish this up a bit more over the weekend because I'm going to bed now and probably working overtime (again) tomorrow. Hope you're all enjoying the game as much as I do!

Tain

Nice opening! Gonna ask this here as well:

In Chronicle mode, can anyone see the ranking info on who cleared areas on cabinets? None are showing for me, but maybe that's expected?

Also, in AC this game is actually pretty bearable in 2-player! I don't say this about many games in the genre, but here it's a nice use of the space. I think 4-player would be too much.

Teknoman

I'm open to suggestions on what else to include in the OT. Please send them to me via PM or just post them here. I'll probably get around to polish this up a bit more over the weekend because I'm going to bed now and probably working overtime (again) tomorrow. Hope you're all enjoying the game as much as I do!

A section explaining the cabinet system, and the various cabinets current used by different communities. Also that our cabinet is 14.

EDIT: I havent seen any names yet. just Unknown.

What does Unlock B mean at the title screen for AC mode?

eastx

Glad to see a new Darius game released in the West! I'll be reviewing the Steam version soon.

Just plugged an hour into it, holy crap do I love it so already.

My main complaint, (and a highly bourgeoisie one at that) is that its a little difficult to sift through the massive amount of content that the game offers. Keeping track of things seems a little clunky, but that's a pretty minor damn problem compared to the so damn much great shit this package has to offer.

I mean, just playing all the stages this game has (not to say anything of playing them well) might take a hundred hours or more, there really seems to be that much stuff in it. Its gawd dang incredible! And its not just filler, there's tons of stage, enemy, and boss variety. Its nuts, absolutely nuts how much polished content this game seems to have. There were so many moments that I've already played that put a big stupid grin on my face, and I'm barely into things as of now.

and one more thing, the music is freaking great, like really, really great. Like some of the best tunes I've ever heard in a 2D shooter (yes, that good).

jwillenn

Just plugged an hour into it, holy crap do I love it so already.

My main complaint, (and a highly bourgeoisie one at that) is that its a little difficult to sift through the massive amount of content that the game offers. Keeping track of things seems a little clunky, but that's a pretty minor damn problem compared to the so damn much great shit this package has to offer.

I mean, just playing all the stages this game has (not to say anything of playing them well) might take a hundred hours or more, there really seems to be that much stuff in it. Its gawd dang incredible! And its not just filler, there's tons of stage, enemy, and boss variety. Its nuts, absolutely nuts how much polished content this game seems to have. There were so many moments that I've already played that put a big stupid grin on my face, and I'm barely into things as of now.

and one more thing, the music is freaking great, like really, really great. Like some of the best tunes I've ever heard in a 2D shooter (yes, that good).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjxQcyWwaU

yop

Nice thread, just one small thing to add; one of the ships is missing. The Murakumo is only available in CS mode. It has a couple of different option formations and a non detachable burst laser.

Along with Genesis it's the easiest to counter-burst with though as you can just fire the laser and cross the burst lasers path to counter.

Awesome OT. It will be mine in the next December sales on Steam.
It launched with a 20% discount on Steam. I really don't think it'll be for sale for less than that anytime soon, especially since the pricing glitch on Steam seems to indicate the price point was originally going to be even higher.

This came up in the other thread before it got locked:

Does the game support reversing the image on one of the monitors so you can set up some plexiglass and lie one monitor down for that proper overlapped arcade experience?

The game itself doesn't provide a function to do this. I just tried accomplishing it via Windows manipulations, but there doesn't seem to be a vertical flip option, only a full 180 degree rotate (which doesn't do the job because the image is also flipped horizontally). This is probably something that should be added at some point, but short of getting some third party software or device to manipulate your second monitor output, it's not possible right now.

Stike

In it for the PHAT LASERS.

Damn I miss those crazy shmups with weapons that fill the entire screen!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
HYPE! I don't have a PS4 yet, but used to play (some version) of this game at the arcades in Japan back in 2013 or so.

Nice game! I really like the music though it seems to be drowned out by the sound so I'll try to find a good music/sound setting to best fit my needs. The game at least in AC mode is way harder than I expected. I haven't tried CS mode yet though I will once I go though all AC routes.

Screw those boss homing lasers. Your ship is too damn slow to get past a bunch of them unless I just suck. ....I probably suck...

I hope menu navigation through a gamepad is improved (ie: xbox one pad button prompts/icons).

My timing for that counter burst laser is terrible. lol

grendelrt

Nice game! I really like the music though it seems to be drowned out by the sound so I'll try to find a good music/sound setting to best fit my needs. The game at least in AC mode is way harder than I expected. I haven't tried CS mode yet though I will once I go though all AC routes.

Screw those boss homing lasers. Your ship is too damn slow to get past a bunch of them unless I just suck. ....I probably suck...

I hope menu navigation through a gamepad is improved (ie: xbox one pad button prompts/icons).

My timing for that counter burst laser is terrible. lol
Yeah I wish there was a ship speed power up :eek: I haven't got a counter laser to work yet ,still working on it. Game is awesome though,can't wait to get off and play tonight.

The trick with the homing lasers is that you'll want to lead them. Move up, then down, and then forward to throw them off.

For one particular boss (Mirage/Phantom Castle) the lasers are fired in sets of two. It's difficult to notice, but you have to dodge in one direction for the first set, and then move a different direction for the other set. You can't dodge them all in one maneuver.

Countering lasers is more easily done by staying to the side, allowing the boss to fire, and then moving into the laser while pressing the burst button at the right moment. I'm still really inconsistent, but this technique works better for me than listening for sound cues and watching the visual indicator.

Occam

Looking forward to buying this for PS4 during a sale. As stated before, $60 is the price of a retail copy that comes with the perks of physical ownership.
Will be importing a physical copy for PS Vita once it becomes available.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
A section explaining the cabinet system, and the various cabinets current used by different communities. Also that our cabinet is 14.

EDIT: I havent seen any names yet. just Unknown.

What does Unlock B mean at the title screen for AC mode?
Will do. Also, suggestions for the OT tag are more than welcome, I just wrote the first thing that popped in my head.

In the Arcade Version, Unlock B meant that some content had been unlocked by players for that particular cab.

yyr

Looking forward to buying this for PS4 during a sale. As stated before, $60 is the price of a retail copy that comes with the perks of physical ownership.
Will be importing a physical copy for PS Vita once it becomes available.

Generally, the most hardcore niche games are the ones least likely to go on sale. I would not assume that we're going to see any discounts (besides the Steam launch discount currently in place) for a long time.

I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against seeing any discounts or price reductions for at least 6-12 months.

Initially I was shocked at the price tag but I happily dropped $40 on Steam last night. Can't wait to try dual monitor DBAC this weekend. =)

5amshift

Banned
The game is region locked for some reason, so remember to buy your countries version from the store! Will be home playing it tonight!

I mentioned it in the other thread, but the PS4 version of the game is $60CAD on the Canadian PSN, which works out to about $45 US, so that's one option if you're still on the fence (and don't mind the extra legwork).

I'm so glad I made the plunge on this. I love Darius. I'm garbage at it right now but every rep I'm doing so much better. I can't believe how awesome and atmospheric the music is.

Is there a specific cabinet everyone is playing on? I was assigned to cabinet 16.

I'm so glad I made the plunge on this. I love Darius. I'm garbage at it right now but every rep I'm doing so much better. I can't believe how awesome and atmospheric the music is.

Is there a specific cabinet everyone is playing on? I was assigned to cabinet 16.

I'm playing on 14, but I'm willing to switch to wherever the majority of GAF-folk play.

Weevilone

Regarding 21:9 support, ehhh. You can get it to work in windowed mode so that's cool. Basically on my 3440x1440 display, it can do 3360x945 which is decent.

In full screen mode, it recognizes the full resolution but then presents the game centered with HUGE black borders on all 4 sides.

It would be great to have full screen more functional. It's the perfect game for this display, shame it doesn't utilize it better.

grendelrt

Does entering your name do anything, when I clear a chronicle it already says unlocked by Grendelrt even if I put in my initials.

Wow, I couldn't believe that price on PS4.

Is this getting a physical release on it, at least?

At the moment the only physical version is the Japanese Vita release. LimitedRunGames seems to be interested, but making that happen is a discussion between at least 4-5 parties.

Teknoman

14 is the GAF cab if you want.

Top Bottom