• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 announced (Early 2016, PC/PS4/XB1, Miyazaki Directing)

I'd much rather have Bloodborne's CA than DeS/DaS's bloom.

I know a lot of people hated it, but I really hope we see the return of DoF as used in Dark Souls. It gave the game a more "fantasy" vibe imo, especially in Darkroot.

JddyT4s.jpg

Xiraiya

that's the fault of executive meddling/the lesser minds of unpaid interns.

...implying Miyazaki had anything to do with Lost Izalith...
Preposterous.
I thought the story was that they had bigger plans for Lost Izalith but it ultimately ended up unfinished and left as it is.
Which is true, you can see where the area was suppose to have more to it, but instead they had to fill it with those Demons and be done.

EDIT: I believe it was even acknowledged that they didn't have the time to get it all done.

Orayn

Alternative stances sound interesting, seems like another incentive to add more options to melee combat and allow weapons' movesets to be differentiated even more.

Xiraiya

The Lost Izalith nonsense made me want to look into things more, every Souls games has some blatantly unfinished content.

- Demon Souls had an entire area cut
- Dark Souls got most of it's intended content in but some was very clearly unfinished, possible implications of an area between Sens and Anor Londo, and the entire Oscar plot cut from the game despite being mostly done it seemed.
- Dark Souls II got the better end of the deal with much less content left cut out (Still a little) But mostly is the unfinished lighting system that SOTFS didn't fully fix (You can actually still use a Torch to make areas look much scarier and cooler looking)

So we'll see what happens but hopefully Dark Souls III gets polished and completed entirely, Bloodborne came out not long ago, DSII SOTFS came out not long ago, they shouldn't feel pressure to rush this.

There is noticeable CA in Bloodborne but there's nothing wrong with it.

Well that's not true. There might not be nothing wrong with it for you, but for me it was quite distracting. Generally overuse of CA in games gives me a headache, not sure why but I just can't look at an image for long that has it. It's also quite distracting to me.

eot

Banned
There was. Wasn't as bad as it was in Lords of the Fallen, but it was definitely noticeable. Were they still using Phyre Engine for Bloodborne? As you say, CA wasn't an issue in Demon's or DSI & II so the only reason I see for it suddenly appearing in Bloodborne is From using a new engine.

I don't care if other games have worse CA, the amount of it in BB is insane and totally fucks the IQ. It's awful.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The Lost Izalith nonsense made me want to look into things more, every Souls games has some blatantly unfinished content.

- Demon Souls had an entire area cut
- Dark Souls got most of it's intended content in but some was very clearly unfinished, possible implications of an area between Sens and Anor Londo, and the entire Oscar plot cut from the game despite being mostly done it seemed.
- Dark Souls II got the better end of the deal with much less content left cut out (Still a little) But mostly is the unfinished lighting system that SOTFS didn't fully fix (You can actually still use a Torch to make areas look much scarier and cooler looking)

So we'll see what happens but hopefully Dark Souls III gets polished and completed entirely, Bloodborne came out not long ago, DSII SOTFS came out not long ago, they shouldn't feel pressure to rush this.

Souls 2 must have had a buttload of stuff cut though. It's why the world layout is so nonsensical

Neoweee

Souls 2 must have had a buttload of stuff cut though. It's why the world layout is so nonsensical

They changed directions with the game like haflway through development and had to stitch the existing work together, or at least that is my impression from the interviews. It isn't as much cut content as it is reorganized/repurposed content. Certain sequences are fine when viewed alone:
- Drangleic Castle -> Amana -> Crypt
- Hole -> Saints -> Gutter -> Gulch
- Woods -> Doors -> Cove

But the Copse->Keep path is fucked.
EDIT:
Heide's -> Wharf too, thanks.

A few large zones/collection of zones, like Forest or Bastille, are nice. I'm under the impression that Forest was two zones early in development, but eventually they dropped that. (Cardinal Tower, the bonfire, showed up in an early zone list)

Neoweee

Heide as a whole is pretty out of place. I just entered a sewer, why am I in the middle of this floating ocean castle thing now?

He returns

Majula -> Heide's is fine, just with the overly aggressively shortened like a lot of the zone tunnels. What happens when you actually enter the submerged tower after the Dragorider is a complete mess, in orientation, height, and lateral distance.

Endo Punk

It's amazing how... not interested I am in this, haha.

congrats to FROM for reaching such incredible fame with the IP. Just give me my bloodborne dlc now :D

Majula -> Heide's is fine, just with the overly aggressively shortened like a lot of the zone tunnels. What happens when you actually enter the submerged tower after the Dragorider is a complete mess, in orientation, height, and lateral distance.

Another thing is that it SHOULD be an interesting located given how it's presented outside, but it's just unremarkable corridors with a hole in the wall.

Altazor

I thought the story was that they had bigger plans for Lost Izalith but it ultimately ended up unfinished and left as it is.
Which is true, you can see where the area was suppose to have more to it, but instead they had to fill it with those Demons and be done.

EDIT: I believe it was even acknowledged that they didn't have the time to get it all done.

I was being slightly facetious

(in any case, I think I'd read that Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was rushed/unfinished, and I think Miyazaki apologized for that... maybe? I can't recall)

They changed directions with the game like haflway through development and had to stitch the existing work together, or at least that is my impression from the interviews. It isn't as much cut content as it is reorganized/repurposed content. Certain sequences are fine when viewed alone:
- Drangleic Castle -> Amana -> Crypt
- Hole -> Saints -> Gutter -> Gulch
- Woods -> Doors -> Cove

But the Copse->Keep path is fucked.
EDIT:
Heide's -> Wharf too, thanks.

A few large zones/collection of zones, like Forest or Bastille, are nice. I'm under the impression that Forest was two zones early in development, but eventually they dropped that. (Cardinal Tower, the bonfire, showed up in an early zone list)

Yeah, those sequences are fine. Shaded Woods > Drangleic Castle feels weird to me, though... and the less said about Earthen Peak/Iron Keep, the better.

I don't care if other games have worse CA, the amount of it in BB is insane and totally fucks the IQ. It's awful.

Well what i'm saying is that, I played both Lords of the Fallen and Bloodborne, and while Bloodborne had noticeable CA, it didn't bother me that much. Probably because LotF's CA was that much worse, to the point it looked sub 1080p.

There was. Wasn't as bad as it was in Lords of the Fallen, but it was definitely noticeable. Were they still using Phyre Engine for Bloodborne? As you say, CA wasn't an issue in Demon's or DSI & II so the only reason I see for it suddenly appearing in Bloodborne is From using a new engine.

I'm usually pretty tolerant of weird effects some people seem to take issue here. I will have to see give me that digital version for 30 Sony! :)

Orayn

Turns out none of the games use Phyre, that was mis-reported and widely repeated.

Bloodborne seems to use a modified version of the Dark Souls 1 engine, and your thinking about visual effects is way off; you can easily add something like CA without changing engine tech at all.

I know a lot of people hated it, but I really hope we see the return of DoF as used in Dark Souls. It gave the game a more "fantasy" vibe imo, especially in Darkroot.

I'm blissfully ignorant of technical terms and don't even know what Chromatic... is for example.
I thought this 'blurry' effect in Dark Souls (DoF???) was absolutely gorgeous and lent the game a very dreamy and surreal vibe. Getting closer to get a clearer view of what was hazy in the distance before was really cool I thought. I hope something like this makes a return in DkS3, combined with the ambient background sounds especially.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm blissfully ignorant of technical terms and don't even know what Chromatic... is for example.
I thought this 'blurry' effect in Dark Souls (DoF???) was absolutely gorgeous and lent the game a very dreamy and surreal vibe. Getting closer to get a clearer view of what was hazy in the distance before was really cool I thought. I hope something like this makes a return in DkS3, combined with the ambient background sounds especially.
Depth of field looks great. Chromatic aberration does not.

Adaren

In Bloodborne:

7aEdVXX.png

ca34fuvd.jpg

(the Bloodborne CA also shimmers on distant object as you move, ensuring that your eye is drawn to it)

Depth of field looks great. Chromatic aberration does not.

Count me in the crowd that loved the DoF in Dark Souls, especially the first game (looking up at the aqueducts from Firelink was amazing).

Was DoF even present by default in the second game? If it was, it was a lot weaker.

Parsnip

Turns out none of the games use Phyre, that was mis-reported and widely repeated.

Bloodborne seems to use a modified version of the Dark Souls 1 engine, and your thinking about visual effects is way off; you can easily add something like CA without changing engine tech at all.

I always figured that Bloodborne used an evolution of the new-gen engine they supposedly developed for Dark Souls 2.

Neoweee

so was the 12 areas thing wrong? Info is now saying slightly less areas than 2.

"Slightly less than 2" is Miyazaki's word, so trust that over the numbers from the leak.

However, people worry too much about the somewhat arbitrary cutoff between zones, especially when discussing interconnectedness. How much do zone splash screens really matter? Plenty of zones in the series are tiny, and could easily count as part of their adjacent zones if they wanted.

Top Bottom