• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is this also the official thread for Scholar of the First Sin?

Anyways, I have heard about enemiy placement in Scolar being mixed up. Is this generally considered to be for the better? Can I get that version, and still play the game how it was originally intended? What is the consensus on which version to play here (not counting the obviously superior graphics in Scolars).

heringer

Anyways, I have heard about enemiy placement in Scolar being mixed up. Is this generally considered to be for the better? Can I get that version, and still play the game how it was originally intended? What is the consensus on which version to play here (not counting the obviously superior graphics in Scolars).

The official thread for Scholar of the First Sin is here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021069&page=159

As for your question, I'm no DS2 veteran but I've read the vanilla is still the recommended version for beginners, as the enemy placement in the remaster can be a little too frustrating.

AFAIK, the original version of the game is not available as part of SOFS. If it is, I haven't read about it any where.

I think this is a really poor decision of From's part - Being able to play both vanilla and the remix seems obvious and like meanness to me to remove it.

Morfeo

The official thread for Scholar of the First Sin is here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021069&page=159

As for your question, I'm no DS2 veteran but I've read the vanilla is still the recommended version for beginners, as the enemy placement in the remaster can be a little too frustrating.

AFAIK, the original version of the game is not available as part of SOFS. If it is, I haven't read about it any where.

I think this is a really poor decision of From's part - Being able to play both vanilla and the remix seems obvious and like meanness to me to remove it.

Thanks for your answer. This is an incredibly stupid decision by From Software. Guess I am getting the vanilla Dark Souls 2 then.

Neoweee

Thanks for your answer. This is an incredibly stupid decision by From Software. Guess I am getting the vanilla Dark Souls 2 then.

Don't. The view that Vanilla > Scholar is an extreme minority position. There's a handful of areas that are arguably worse in Scholar, and a whole ton that are unambiguousl improvements, and a decent number of "could prefer either". Out of about 60~something segments with noteworthy changes, there are 3 (Amana Part 2, Iron Part 1, Forest Part 1) that have a handful more required enemies in the way. The rest is reshuffles, more enemy variety, more elaborate AI, more secrets, better itemization, more optional difficult enemies you can optionally try to fight earlier, or less cheap enemy placement.

Scholar is the better version of the game for a whole bunch of reasons.

Morfeo

Don't. The view that Vanilla > Scholar is an extreme minority position. There's a handful of areas that are arguably worse in Scholar, and a whole ton that are unambiguousl improvements, and a decent number of "could prefer either". Out of about 60~something segments with noteworthy changes, there are 3 (Amana Part 2, Iron Part 1, Forest Part 1) that have a handful more required enemies in the way. The rest is reshuffles, more enemy variety, more elaborate AI, more secrets, better itemization, more optional difficult enemies you can optionally try to fight earlier, or less cheap enemy placement.

Scholar is the better version of the game for a whole bunch of reasons.

Thanks for this insightful answer!

Neoweee

I think that's fair Neoweee, but it still would've been nice to have both versions in one package.

It would have been nice, but no one would recommend the old version, and the community would be more split if the old version was still aggressively being sold (though there's a clear remedy to that, imo.)

If the original came out after scholar, people would be completely flipping the fuck out over everything that was removed or moved.

I'm not saying that From managed the "upgrade" or split properly (because honestly, they didn't), but it is pretty much completely clear which is the version people should be playing.

I didn't think about the split during online play, it makes sense to keep everyone on the same page - I was just thinking about playing it solo I guess (which is mostly what I do these days, challenge runs etc).

Neoweee

There's actually more to it than that. It needs more testing, but it looks like they fixed the underlying issue of corpse and wall hits counting as something worse than a regular hit, i.e. 30 fps players of the DirectX9 version may see a difference. I'd like to see some detailed stats on what this does to the whip, etc., those weapons that were most screwed by the old durability loss.

There's actually more to it than that. It needs more testing, but it looks like they fixed the underlying issue of corpse and wall hits counting as something worse than a regular hit, i.e. 30 fps players of the DirectX9 version may see a difference. I'd like to see some detailed stats on what this does to the whip, etc., those weapons that were most screwed by the old durability loss.

I'm just happy they finally decided to fix it. Sucks that they only decided to fix it when a larger pool of players got affect, but whatever. This is their patch notes, and it looks like thy fixed most if not all of it. I hope etc included hits against hostile enemies though.

Neoweee

I'm just happy they finally decided to fix it. Sucks that they only decided to fix it when a larger pool of players got affect, but whatever. This is their patch notes, and it looks like thy fixed most if not all of it. I hope etc included hits against hostile enemies though.

As far as I can tell, wall hits, corpse hits, and phantom hits all count as regular hits do now, so there's no room for the 30fps-60fps behavior to ever matter.

Whip still needs testing though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know this OT is dead, but hell, I'll still post the fact that I finally completed 100% on my Company of Champions run after letting it stew for so long. Very happy now!

I had the last two DLC bosses left (Ivory King and the pets) and I really struggled, so I changed my strategy and my build a bit. It was a faith build initially, but after the nerfs it struggled a lot, so my lightning heide lance and defender sword wasn't that great anymore. I respec'ed a little to be able to use the Red Iron Twinblade, infused it with Lightning, and cast Sunlight Blade on it. I wasn't sure if the infusion would ruin it or not, but nope, it's still very good fortunately!
Very useful against the annoying charred knights since I could finally stagger them (before that they poised through my hits, so annoying) and it did enough damage to kill them in one combo. And with a Brightbug, I did so much damage that the first pet went down before the second one showed up, which makes this fight a lot more manageable.

Hell, ironically, I think it's the first time I EVER do the Frigid Outskirts in one single try (I was avoiding them with this guy 'til now) without dying, and this includes killing the boss! Even in coop runs with friends I somehow manage to die at least once. The 2-handed twinblade staggers the horses so they weren't so bad. Had a close call once but Denial saved me. xD I took the chance to not use it on the boss and used a Brightbug instead (can't stack buffs of course) and it was worth it since the DPS was so good.

tl;dr: My Champion run is 100% complete and the Red Iron Twinblade is totally OP :D By far the best weapon in the game, honestly.

kind of a necrobump but i can post here right..? don't wanna make a new thread.

so i just finished Bloodborne recently and thought i'd plug in my PS3 and finish DS2 FINALLY... well what the fuuuuck seriously, i cannot play this at all anymore. i just can't, it's WAY too hard, and i'm lvl 200 still in my first playthrough! something about the controls is just off, like it's super laggy or something, feels pretty damn awful compared to Bloodborne. and stamina runs out instantly it seems. i just die and die and die and die. attacks miss constantly and my char turns its back on the enemies for no reason even though i'm locked on etc. i'm at a loss for words, i'm so bad at this.

and what is with this Ancient Dragon? i simply cannot kill it, and seems like no one can. i've tried 30+ times and i get thrown off or one shotted every goddamn time, and so does every host i try to help. by far the least fun and frustratingly difficult boss in the series imo. i honestly just can't do it. my +10 weapons do pitiful dmg (wtf). i almost wanna cry, i thought i was good at this :(

/rant

any kind gaffer wanna help? pretty please. i know i'm just wasting my time trying to beat it alone or with randoms.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What are your stats and gear? At SL 200 you should be plenty strong to take on anything in the game, especially in NG, and have enough health to not get one-shot by the dragon.

Also, I might be able to help but it depends on your platform and soul memory...

Tarkus

What are your stats and gear? At SL 200 you should be plenty strong to take on anything in the game, especially in NG, and have enough health to not get one-shot by the dragon.

Also, I might be able to help but it depends on your platform and soul memory...
Yup. I might can help too astroturfing. Let's hear it. Don't be NG++++ like most that want help please

Edit: whoops. Nevermind you're NG

Neoweee

kind of a necrobump but i can post here right..? don't wanna make a new thread.

so i just finished Bloodborne recently and thought i'd plug in my PS3 and finish DS2 FINALLY... well what the fuuuuck seriously, i cannot play this at all anymore. i just can't, it's WAY too hard, and i'm lvl 200 still in my first playthrough! something about the controls is just off, like it's super laggy or something, feels pretty damn awful compared to Bloodborne. and stamina runs out instantly it seems. i just die and die and die and die. attacks miss constantly and my char turns its back on the enemies for no reason even though i'm locked on etc. i'm at a loss for words, i'm so bad at this.

and what is with this Ancient Dragon? i simply cannot kill it, and seems like no one can. i've tried 30+ times and i get thrown off or one shotted every goddamn time, and so does every host i try to help. by far the least fun and frustratingly difficult boss in the series imo. i honestly just can't do it. my +10 weapons do pitiful dmg (wtf). i almost wanna cry, i thought i was good at this :(

/rant

any kind gaffer wanna help? pretty please. i know i'm just wasting my time trying to beat it alone or with randoms.

Ancient Dragon is just a dick punch optional side boss. No achievements linked to him, he's just there to be an obnoxiously hard fight to overcome.

SoldnerKei

Ancient Dragon is just a dick punch optional side boss. No achievements linked to him, he's just there to be an obnoxiously hard fight to overcome.

pretty much the reason why I never bothered with the AD, also that he is just chilling there not harming anyone.. I guess...

I wonder if we will se Dragons again on DaS III

sorry it was super late and i was half asleep, i forgot to report back that i dealt with AD swiftly (very easy solo if you take a look at a particular youtube tip video), and then proceeded to totally humiliate Vendrick by just staying behind his slow ass for 40 seconds and two-handing the uchi. took zero damage hah, man that felt good after struggling with the asshole dragon for so long.

then Nashandra.. i sucked against her and even managed to die 2 times (remember i'm lvl 200, in NG haha). fell off the first time in about 3 seconds, dodged into the abyss. embarrassing.

it took me what, a year and four months to beat this... i don't get it, i did like the game a lot, even loved it at some point. i guess i was just a bit burnt out on Souls games at the time. oh well, it's done now, and after Bloodborne reinvigorating my love, i'm actually very hyped for DSIII. bring it on! and see you guys and gals in the OT.

Mistel

Banned
Im a try get the Illusory Ring of a Conqueror in NG+, I hope it's not hard at sl210.
You should have little issue at that level getting that ring. You only need to defeat 9 or so bosses if you've got enough souls to open the shrine of winter.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone be willing to let me shareplay First Sin for an hour or two? I really loved Bloodborne but didn't like Dark Souls that much, but DS2 fixed some of the issues I had (no fast travel). I'm assuming it'll get pretty cheap soon so I just want to see if it'll be worth buying. I'm from the UK so someone from EU GAF would be great.

Li Kao

Hello Gaf, I've got a problem. I'm finally in the mood to be crushed and DS2 / DS2 Scholar is cheap. The thing is... which version do I play ?
I mean I read that Scholar up the ante in term of difficulty and I'm not really in the market for a more punishing Dark Souls. And the invaders being now 6 is not something I'm looking for either.
That being said, if Scholars is indeed a must play upgrade I will play it.

So...
1/ Does DS2 vanilla still have a strong community ?
2/ Do you think Scholar is really a must even with what I said in mind ?

Ferr986

Hello Gaf, I've got a problem. I'm finally in the mood to be crushed and DS2 / DS2 Scholar is cheap. The thing is... which version do I play ?
I mean I read that Scholar up the ante in term of difficulty and I'm not really in the market for a more punishing Dark Souls. And the invaders being now 6 is not something I'm looking for either.
That being said, if Scholars is indeed a must play upgrade I will play it.

So...
1/ Does DS2 vanilla still have a strong community ?
2/ Do you think Scholar is really a must even with what I said in mind ?

Scholar is not necesary harder than vanilla. A couple of areas are harder and some others are easier. I would say overall there's more nerfed areas than buffed, even though the start of the game is harder in SOTFS. Overall, I think SOTFS starts harder than vanilla but ends easier.

Also, you'll not going to get invaded by more than 1 dude anyways.

I think SOTFS is the better package. Also, it includes the DLCs (DLC area are the same as in vanilla).

Li Kao

Scholar is not necesary harder than vanilla. A couple of areas are harder and some others are easier. I would say overall there's more nerfed areas than buffed, even though the start of the game is harder in SOTFS. Overall, I think SOTFS starts harder than vanilla but ends easier.

Also, you'll not going to get invaded by more than 1 dude anyways.

I think SOTFS is the better package. Also, it includes the DLCs (DLC area are the same as in vanilla).

Thanks for your advice, I think I will take the jump on Scholar.

III-V

How is everyone pre-ordering DaS III?

How does the Amazon day one edition work? Has anyone done this and what was your experience? The description does not explicitly state that it will be at your door on day one.

6for8

How does the Amazon day one edition work? Has anyone done this and what was your experience? The description does not explicitly state that it will be at your door on day one.

I would assume "day one edition" contains a pre-order bonus, like the soundtrack. It's not a guarantee of the delivery date.

My experience with amazon Canada has been great once I paid extra for express shipping. My first pre-order I selected free shipping and they didn't even ship the game out until a couple of weeks after release. I then changed the shipping to the next tier for a couple of dollars per shipment and they arrive on the release date. 25% of the games arrive the day before the release date.

Day one I think means that its a first print that you get only if you pre-order.

Amazon is usually good for getting stuff to you day one from my experience, but shit happens.

Had my eye on the Warped Sword but Straid of Olaphis does not seem to have it (Scholar of the First Sin on PS4). Anyone know what's up? He should trade that for flexile sentry soul, right?

/edit: never mind, had the sentinel boss soul instead of flexile, my bad.

It took around 15 hours for this game to click with me after multiple false starts but I'm finally back innit like the first. Most of the time I loathe baiting enemies one at a time but I feel like it's mandatory in this game, really annoying... But the variety present is fun and I really appreciate lots of items to look at, weapons to experiment with, etc.

I have three of the four great souls, unlocked all the DLCs (but have not ventured into them) and found Drangelic Castle... Currently in the Doors of Pharros and excited to be even close to the end even though I've enjoyed the ride so much.

I feel like there's plenty to legitimately complain about (level design, mini bosses, bosses, just a lot of uninspired or tired content all around) but hell, even 80% Dark Souls is better than the majority of games out there.

Really excited to be playing the GOTY Edition of DaS III when it finally arrives!

Tarkus

It took around 15 hours for this game to click with me after multiple false starts but I'm finally back innit like the first. Most of the time I loathe baiting enemies one at a time but I feel like it's mandatory in this game, really annoying... But the variety present is fun and I really appreciate lots of items to look at, weapons to experiment with, etc.

I have three of the four great souls, unlocked all the DLCs (but have not ventured into them) and found Drangelic Castle... Currently in the Doors of Pharros and excited to be even close to the end even though I've enjoyed the ride so much.

I feel like there's plenty to legitimately complain about (level design, mini bosses, bosses, just a lot of uninspired or tired content all around) but hell, even 80% Dark Souls is better than the majority of games out there.

Really excited to be playing the GOTY Edition of DaS III when it finally arrives!
Image.ashx

Try this thread

IrishNinja

man, finally gave this one a go last night since i dont yet have 3, and...ehhhhh

i should know better (ive platted demons/dark 1/BB) but i totally need help in the beginning bits!

1) where do i level up
2) oh god ive got a broken straight sword (thanks, stupid piggie creatures in town), so i took forever dinging this armored knight dude, and holy shit there's like another dozen of them after him so i ran and just got into a boss fight so yeah those souls are gone, which is fine but im clearly doing something wrong and need to level and or get a proper weapon

round a dagger & a broken thief sword, dude in town sells but doesnt seem to wanna repair! thanks in advance here

Mistel

Banned
man, finally gave this one a go last night since i dont yet have 3, and...ehhhhh

i should know better (ive platted demons/dark 1/BB) but i totally need help in the beginning bits!

1) where do i level up
2) oh god ive got a broken straight sword (thanks, stupid piggie creatures in town), so i took forever dinging this armored knight dude, and holy shit there's like another dozen of them after him so i ran and just got into a boss fight so yeah those souls are gone, which is fine but im clearly doing something wrong and need to level and or get a proper weapon

round a dagger & a broken thief sword, dude in town sells but doesnt seem to wanna repair! thanks in advance here
Level up lady is next to the bonfire in Majula as for weapons you can pick up a morning star in Majula and assuming you're playing the base game kill the knight in forest of the fallen giants for one of the better weapons. A broken thief sword isn't too bad actually.

IrishNinja

Level up lady is next to the bonfire in Majula as for weapons you can pick up a morning star in Majula and assuming you're playing the base game kill the knight in forest of the fallen giants for one of the better weapons. A broken thief sword isn't too bad actually.

ah, i guess i'm missing the bonfire then - i just saw the town, then a path leading up to the armored dudes. sounds like there's a lot more i've not seen of that area somehow....also where's the forest of the fallen giants?

Mistel

Banned
ah, i guess i'm missing the bonfire then - i just saw the town, then a path leading up to the armored dudes. sounds like there's a lot more i've not seen of that area somehow....also where's the forest of the fallen giants?
Forest of the Fallen Giants is accessed via a tunnel near the bonfire in Majula, you probably did if you just walked straight onto Heide.

cj_iwakura

Anyone have any suggestions on why I can't connect with a friend who lives in the same area? Not sure if it's my issue or something with the P2P system.

Anyone have any suggestions on why I can't connect with a friend who lives in the same area? Not sure if it's my issue or something with the P2P system.

I experienced the same thing (friend who lives super close by could never see my sign) and we eventually just gave up. Even when using a password it would take sometimes 10 minutes for my sign to appear in their world, and then the connection would likely fail. Neither of us have any issues connecting to other random people in general.

Maybe port forwarding could help?

Top Bottom