• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

NEO0MJ

Ooo! What does the Warped Sword do and what's the name of the shield?

It gives you a unique dual wielding moveset. You don't need two of them, but I think it needs to be in a spacific hand to unlock that moveset.

The shields are Reeve's Greatshield and Orma's Greatshield. They're dropped by those knights in the Undead Crypt. You need one of each to dual wield them and to put each one in the correct hand. When dual wielded you can use that crushing move the knights use. I used them a lot because they were so cool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It gives you a unique dual wielding moveset. You don't need two of them, but I think it needs to be in a spacific hand to unlock that moveset.

Ah, okay. Do you know if they can be combo'd with the Majestic?

The shields are Reeve's Greatshield and Orma's Greatshield. They're dropped by those knights in the Undead Crypt. You need one of each to dual wield them and to put each one in the correct hand. When dual wielded you can use that crushing move the knights use. I used them a lot because they were so cool.

Perfect. Thanks.

Velstat is proving to a be a huge PITA on my SL1 run.

I've been using a raw mace+10 up to this point, but it wasn't really cutting it against Velstat so I've gone full pyro thanks to attunement ring/casting speed gear and got 3 casts of flame swathe and a +10 dark pyro flame.

First try it was clear I needed a new approach because Agdyne barely made it to the half way point in the fight (no, NPC summons aren't cheating!), so I went RTSR mode, but that doesn't make that much different really. With base agility it's difficult to dodge his attacks. I hate bosses that are actually a challenge! :|

Some months ago i (re)made an "easy no bonfire/no death guide", maybe it could be useful to whom does not have those rings yet.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPBnDKcowL3pRXPNQ1uMP6pY4pp1ol3aU
I've already done a couple of no bonfire/no death runs, but I like these type of video series so I'll bookmark this for later viewing, thanks :)

I hope you'll let me know if you've liked it or not. :)
I'm about halfway through. Did you do it all in one sitting? I only ask because it watches like a speedrun. I've never done this run on NG like this, it's really a bit of a different challenge than stocking up on consumables and doing it on NG+, kudos.

There were a couple of hairy moments like in the Najka fight when your HP was dangerously low, shame we didn't have your commentary I wanted to know if you were as sweaty-palmed as I was just watching it!

kaos.

I'm about halfway through. Did you do it all in one sitting? I only ask because it watches like a speedrun. I've never done this run on NG like this, it's really a bit of a different challenge than stocking up on consumables and doing it on NG+, kudos.

There were a couple of hairy moments like in the Najka fight when your HP was dangerously low, shame we didn't have your commentary I wanted to know if you were as sweaty-palmed as I was just watching it!

Yes, one sitting... But i recorded it as if i did it in multiple sessions to simplify the avisynth encoding script ( i used only trim(), fadein() and fadeout2() functions ) and to split encoding and upload time by 7 (my PC is quite old and my upload is only 100 KB/s, encoding and uploading it as only one video was almost impossible)... And i did it like a speedrun to shorten it as much as possible: a long video without commentary could be very boring... :-(
Anyway, yes, because i did many NG no death+no bonfire runs, i was too overconfident doing this one (e.g. i fought the lost sinner without remember her moveset) and against Najka i risked too much... But the part where i was really having an heart attack is inside the majula pit... I didn't fell by a whisker... :-(

But the part where i was really having an heart attack is inside the majula pit... I didn't fell by a whisker... :-(
Oh yeah, lol. It was the last wooden ledge you were so close the character was half off the edge, phew!

editing to avoid double post (because thread is dead it seems!): Velstat down on my SL1 run, it took so many tries probably about 30-40. I just got lucky with RNG because I couldn't for the life of me avoid his overhead smash - I rolled every way imaginable and it still caught me. I even thought about trying to learn to parry it, but one failed try = death so it would be kind of tedious. The first attack I parried I pulled off but I chickened out on the rest of the fight, I just can't read parries in DS2 AT ALL!! But I did do it solo without NPC summon so I was kind of proud of that.

Any way, now I'm stuck on Throne Watcher/Defender and it's just a nightmare. I've took a break and done lots of optional/DLC stuff just to clear my head fuck. I think DS2 is easily the hardest of the Souls series @ SSL1 for me. But I'll keep trying at these bastards even it takes random good RNG to beat them, I'm doing this!

Any suggestions on stats allocations for a hexer/sorcerer? I've never made a magic based player. Thanks!

Typically you level Int and FTH evenlu up to 30 which is the soft cap for Hex. You would then pump Int for your Spec spells.

Keep everything else fairly low except maybe Vigor.

kaos.

Velstat down on my SL1 run, it took so many tries probably about 30-40. I just got lucky with RNG because I couldn't for the life of me avoid his overhead smash - I rolled every way imaginable and it still caught me. I even thought about trying to learn to parry it, but one failed try = death so it would be kind of tedious. The first attack I parried I pulled off but I chickened out on the rest of the fight, I just can't read parries in DS2 AT ALL!! But I did do it solo without NPC summon so I was kind of proud of that.

Any way, now I'm stuck on Throne Watcher/Defender and it's just a nightmare. I've took a break and done lots of optional/DLC stuff just to clear my head fuck. I think DS2 is easily the hardest of the Souls series @ SSL1 for me. But I'll keep trying at these bastards even it takes random good RNG to beat them, I'm doing this!

Parries in DS2 are just wrong: they changed a thing that required ability (see the enemy attacking -> press parry button fast -> parry) with a thing that requires luck (you think that your enemy is about to attack -> press parry button -> parry (maybe)).
Anyway, i'm sorry if mine will be a stupid question but... Did you try using bright bugs?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Typically you level Int and FTH evenlu up to 30 which is the soft cap for Hex. You would then pump Int for your Spec spells.

Keep everything else fairly low except maybe Vigor.
They'll need attunement like crazy, too. Most of the best hexes require two slots. Wearing the extra att ring helps but you still need a lot of points into it. My hexer is my only low vit, low end character, because the stat investment is just that high. She's a glass canon, heh.

Anyway, i'm sorry if mine will be a stupid question but... Did you try using bright bugs?
I'm so bad at using stuff like that - the "too good to use" items. I bought them all I have like 15 I think, but I daren't use them in case they're wasted! I'm like this in every game. :|

SL1 Run ramblings:

Down: Throne Watcher/Defender, Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, Giant Lord

I could complete the game at this point. I mulled over not killing Vendrick as I believe killing him is a condition of Aldia showing up(?) but I figured it didn't matter whether I killed Aldia or not - I've only fought him once and I thought it was kind of a cheap boss fight so I don't expect to be able to do it @ SL1, so the only difference between killing him and not is the end sequence.

Vendrick and Ancient Dragon - no problem whatever level, they can be cheesed and with even half-decent RNG you're guaranteed a win.

Throne Watcher/Defender was a pain - I got really lucky when one of them went to heal the other and I killed them just as the healed one got up. Previous to this my last try I suicided because they healed each other to full health from being downed. I was like 'fuck this!' after the second heal and just jumped off the side! I was so happy to get that kill.

This SL1 run has been fun, again I will say it's the most challenging of the three Souls games - certainly the agility stat makes a difference. Can you imagine in DS1 rolling through the 4 Kings attacks with DS2 agility in play? For this reason I am not doing the DLC. As good as the DLC is the bosses have a lot of bullshit in play for a low agility SL1 character, so I did grab the Flynn's Ring but I will not even bother trying fights like the invisible tiger, Elana, Fume etc - it seems pointless to me unless you're a Souls master - which I am not. I'm just happy to cheese Nashandra and call it a day.

This SL1 run has been the most fun of all 3 games :)

When is the best time to do DLC, does it scale or is this a good time to do the three packs?

I've just got to the point where I'm going to the castle, so I'm kinda late game. Would now be a good time?

Mistel

Banned
When is the best time to do DLC, does it scale or is this a good time to do the three packs?

I've just got to the point where I'm going to the castle, so I'm kinda late game. Would now be a good time?
You can do the dlc whenever you want it doesn't scale but it is more late/end game orientated in difficulty mostly. You'd probably be fine starting now.

Does the Old Leo Ring work with the Masatodon Halberd?
It will, but it would not be all that useful imo. I assume you're talking about poking from behind a shield. The little wind up with the halberd is too slow to fit in an attack in the very small counter window. The timing has to be spot on. The second R1 thrust of the one hand moveset is not fit for Leo Ringing either.

With the Leo Ring, I've had the most success with spears, Grand Lance (hit for over 1000), BKGS, and highly successful with the Claymore.

You have to go in with mindset that you're going to trade blows. You have to play like that or you'll never get in the counter window.

kaos.

SL1 Run ramblings:

Down: Throne Watcher/Defender, Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, Giant Lord

I could complete the game at this point. I mulled over not killing Vendrick as I believe killing him is a condition of Aldia showing up(?) but I figured it didn't matter whether I killed Aldia or not - I've only fought him once and I thought it was kind of a cheap boss fight so I don't expect to be able to do it @ SL1, so the only difference between killing him and not is the end sequence.

Vendrick and Ancient Dragon - no problem whatever level, they can be cheesed and with even half-decent RNG you're guaranteed a win.

Throne Watcher/Defender was a pain - I got really lucky when one of them went to heal the other and I killed them just as the healed one got up. Previous to this my last try I suicided because they healed each other to full health from being downed. I was like 'fuck this!' after the second heal and just jumped off the side! I was so happy to get that kill.

This SL1 run has been fun, again I will say it's the most challenging of the three Souls games - certainly the agility stat makes a difference. Can you imagine in DS1 rolling through the 4 Kings attacks with DS2 agility in play? For this reason I am not doing the DLC. As good as the DLC is the bosses have a lot of bullshit in play for a low agility SL1 character, so I did grab the Flynn's Ring but I will not even bother trying fights like the invisible tiger, Elana, Fume etc - it seems pointless to me unless you're a Souls master - which I am not. I'm just happy to cheese Nashandra and call it a day.

This SL1 run has been the most fun of all 3 games :)

Congrats! :)
Some months ago, after i killed vendrick, ancient dragon and royal rat authority during a sl1 of a friend of mine (not a co-op, i was at his home), I began a Sl1 on ds2, trying to find new incentives to play it after maaaany no death no bonfire runs.... but i dropped it because it was too boring... :-(
I think that ds2 will be the only souls game that i will not re-play in future. :-(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It will, but it would not be all that useful imo. I assume you're talking about poking from behind a shield. The little wind up with the halberd is too slow to fit in an attack in the very small counter window. The timing has to be spot on. The second R1 thrust of the one hand moveset is not fit for Leo Ringing either.

With the Leo Ring, I've had the most success with spears, Grand Lance (hit for over 1000), BKGS, and highly successful with the Claymore.

You have to go in with mindset that you're going to trade blows. You have to play like that or you'll never get in the counter window.

Ah, fair enough. Cheers!

Stainless

I beat bloodborne, got halfway through NG+, then decided to do some chalice dungeons. Got pretty bored of those, decided, hey, I'll try Dark Souls 2.

So far I enjoy it, but my weapons kept breaking before I got the blacksmith key, so finally had to swap weapons repeatedly so I could get through to.... you know, where I get the key. Hopefully reinforcing them when I get mats will help because that's my main issue so far. I got a big sword from a knight but my strength isn't high enough to be real effective with it yet. I basically kill 5 dudes and it breaks. I may re-roll so I can dual wield. Taking a break to play some more bb today, but I'm gonna stick with it. These games are so good, imo.

randome

Holy crap, is something going on online? I'm in NG, can see messages and white phantoms, but there are almost zero summon signs or invasion signs of any sort. My first playthrough there were plenty of people all over the place. Just a few days ago, matter of fact. I can't figure it out! I really want to play with people as I enjoy the co-op in this game a lot, but i cant find anyone to summon and I'm not getting summoned either. Its annoying...any lonely. :(

Most people moved on to PS4/xb1 I'd imagine. The bridge at the Iron Keep was as slow as I've ever seen it last night. Tumbleweeds

It was active on Friday and Saturday nights though.

20 mln soul memory is quite active for PvP...but that's about it.

randome

Sad times! Was hoping thats not what it was. :( Just seemed rather sudden. Maybe its because when I was getting lots of summon signs before I was in NG+.

Is the upgrade worth it? I have it on PC so I can get it for a reduced price but is there significant differences that would it worth buying? Some people are saying there's only a few extra enemies not a lot :/. I miss the sudden o shit there's enemy moments D:

gogosox82

Well because I'm a masochist, I've decided to run through the challenge areas solo. I heard they we're "co op only" type areas which sounds terrible imo so I decided to skip them entirely so I really didn't know anything about the areas or bosses but I've decided to do them anyway because I did pay for this content and I can't stand there are bosses in the game I haven't beaten and like I said, I'm a bit of masochist and enjoy a good challenge.

God, that area was a pain in the ass. Constantly getting stun locked from the statues and having like 5 or 6 dudes in that opening area was really frustrating. I just really don't like the gauntlet style approach to placing enemies.

The boss was.. I guess From's take on what its like to be ganked? Three enemies, one with a greatbow and an estoc, another one was power stancing katanas (I think they were berserker blades but not sure), and another was in full havels with the greatshield and dragon tooth. I think it was interesting and kind of fun but annoying in the sense that it took forever for me to seperate the katana user and the havel but it wasn't too bad. I will say though that I would be disappointed if this was the co op area if I was into co op. A pretty "meh" area and three enemies normal enemies that didn't really feel like boss.

So I think I enjoyed the fight but hated the area. Think I will do the one in the iron king next.

Edit: In case anyone was wondering about my build. 40/40 build. Fire Charred Loyce Greatsword +5, Hunter Blackbow +10, Pyromancy Flame +10, Flame Weapon as a buff. Sometimes I switch to either the Curved Dragon Greatsword +5 or Mayslayer +5.

DS4Windows is giving me troubles, I updated it and it is giving me the same problem I had yesterday, I just disabled my Wii U controller and it worked though, I have tried hiding the DS4 but no luck. The controller works with other games just not Dark Souls 2 for some reason, only the touchpad works in Dark Souls 2.

Is there anything better?

Also I just started playing again today seriously and just beat the
Lost Sinner
. Forgot how much I enjoyed this game when I really put in the time and didn't just give up after hitting a wall.

I do wish you could transfer saves to the new version version though, I am certainly not starting again.

DS4Windows is giving me troubles, I updated it and it is giving me the same problem I had yesterday, I just disabled my Wii U controller and it worked though, I have tried hiding the DS4 but no luck. The controller works with other games just not Dark Souls 2 for some reason, only the touchpad works in Dark Souls 2.

Is there anything better?

Also I just started playing again today seriously and just beat the
Lost Sinner
. Forgot how much I enjoyed this game when I really put in the time and didn't just give up after hitting a wall.

I do wish you could transfer saves to the new version version though, I am certainly not starting again.
Welp you just indirectly answered my question on whether it was worth buying or not. Thank you for that.

AlexBasch

So...how exactly recommended it is to upgrade the armor? I like to keep stuff below 50.0 in the equipment load, but sometimes I can't see a huge difference between wearing the Elite Knight Armor and the Black Robes for faster casting.

Also, fucking
Drangleic Castle
been getting invaded over and over and it's always people with huge, flaming swords and insane equipment. I swear, the only thing I have given up completely in this series is PVP and yet, it's like the game is shoving it into my face.

Then there's those stone soldiers. FUCK.

Welp you just indirectly answered my question on whether it was worth buying or not. Thank you for that.

Yeah, that is a dealbreaker for me too. Even at a discount for $20 on Steam is too much for something with minimal content injection. More of a Directors Cut version of what I already have.

Would much rather do an NG+++ run in my character with everything than start all over.

Mistel

Banned
Sometimes I can't see a huge difference between wearing the Elite Knight Armor and the Black Robes for faster casting.
That's because there isn't one one for the entire set other than the hood which gives you 11% bonus. Even still if your ATT, INT, and FTH are low you really won't see much benefit as they influence casting speed not equip load.

As for armor I'd avoid wasting twinkling on stuff unless you have time to farm it and just invest in normal upgrades on your elite knight set.

AlexBasch

Fuck, I botched that sentence. >_>

I meant, I see no diference, defense wise, between wearing an Elite Armor and the Black Robes set (just found out that it's the hood that gives the casting boost, welp).

Aside from poise, I don't see the defense numbers mean anything, other than the fire defense that did a bit of work on the Smelter Demon battle, so sometimes I wonder if I should bother wearing armor at all.

And yeah, I barely upgrade my stuff. :/ Had to think twice before giving a Titanite Chunk to my Bastard Sword. I'm always so paranoid in upgrading stuff in this game.

Mistel

Banned
Fuck, I botched that sentence. >_>

I meant, I see no diference, defense wise, between wearing an Elite Armor and the Black Robes set (just found out that it's the hood that gives the casting boost, welp).

Aside from poise, I don't see the defense numbers mean anything, other than the fire defense that did a bit of work on the Smelter Demon battle, so sometimes I wonder if I should bother wearing armor at all.

And yeah, I barely upgrade my stuff. :/ Had to think twice before giving a Titanite Chunk to my Bastard Sword. I'm always so paranoid in upgrading stuff in this game.
There's a difference but it's smaller than it probably should be but that's the way the defences are calculated in this game, I remember talking to someone about it a while ago in the thread. I'd go hood then rest elite knight it gives you a bit more defence from physical stuff which is what most enemies use anyway outside of a couple areas, where they use elemental stuff but by that point I'd assume you'd have upgraded armor. You can just go nude/ scantily clad but you can get a bit shafted in close quarters if you aren't good at stamina management and dodging.

As for upgrading there's loads of material available via farming later on which doesn't really counteract the drought earlier on but it might reduce your paranoia.

Elana is bullshit in the first DLC. I'm a magic character and my spells basically do no damage. My melee does okay damage but as soon as she summons you just get raped.

The NPC summon is useless and I've been waiting half an hour and nobody has put down a summon sign to help me (lvl 129). I've spent over two hours on her now and the most I've got her down to is half health.

She is one of the worst bosses. You have to be patient and pick your moments to attack. Pretty sure she can't summon more than once until you've killed the previous enemy, so take a stack of alluring skulls with you and when she summons skellies keep one of them around to stop her summoning.

There are two NPC summons one of the signs is right at the back of the room before the boss fog I think. You could always respec to pure physical attack and then respec back if you're finding it tough. All the DLC bosses are very resistant to magic/elemental iirc.

Finally beat her. Utterly awful fight. The dragon was great though.

Then I went to do the last boss with those three guys and just thought fuck it and moved on to the second DLC. To me, Elana and that other boss fight in this DLC is the worst aspect of Dark Souls 2, just chucking as much as possible at you in a cheap way. Feels like you need luck rather than skill. Totally the opposite to bosses in Demons and Dark 1.

Hopefully the second DLC is better. I've not reached a boss yet but I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Finally beat her. Utterly awful fight. The dragon was great though.

Then I went to do the last boss with those three guys and just thought fuck it and moved on to the second DLC. To me, Elana and that other boss fight in this DLC is the worst aspect of Dark Souls 2, just chucking as much as possible at you in a cheap way. Feels like you need luck rather than skill. Totally the opposite to bosses in Demons and Dark 1.

Hopefully the second DLC is better. I've not reached a boss yet but I'm enjoying it a lot more.

I guess I got lucky with Elana because she didn't give me too much trouble. I did have absurdly high Dark Def, so that helps.

I do agree about the other boss. I am terrible at parrying so those 3 gave tons of trouble. Took at least 15 attempts since I had despawned the whole area.

Second DLC was a lot better but recycling Smelter Demon was lazy and the run to him was typical DS2 bullshit so I skipped him. On to the last DLC.

At the moment I can't see where all the love for this DLC is coming from. It's about the same quality as the main game I think. Definitely not a huge leap in design like lots of people have said.

Hopefully the proper return to form will be Bloodborne!

AlexBasch

Finished the game and now I'm butting my head in the Brotherhood of Blood PVP.

Damn, I'm getting my ass kicked, but I'm finding some players who are like me, random ass people who are trying their luck in this shit instead of the PVP/youtube masters/asians (checked their gamertags and they were 1000GS people with insane equipment at low level and goddamned katakana on their profiles) of DS1.

My W/L ratio is horrendous but I'm having fun and not getting seizures because of pure anger like before.

Also, the Nashandra battle was fucking disappointing, "Imma drain yo health while I stand here taking those sword swings like a champ. What a letdown.

At the moment I can't see where all the love for this DLC is coming from. It's about the same quality as the main game I think. Definitely not a huge leap in design like lots of people have said.
The level design is definately a lot better than a lot of the base game (think how after the Mirror Knight then whole rest of the game is basically one long corridor (loosely speaking), even if it is the prettiest part of the game. The DLC has a lot of the old shortcuts back on to earlier areas and branching paths like Souls of old. The third especially is like this. They're all quite large too.

The enemy design and AI is a completely different matter, it's easily the weakest part of the DLC besides the recycling of bosses and an area of the third DLC that everyone HATES!

gogosox82

Iron King challenge area done. Man I am really struggling to think of anything positive to say about this area. I just don't see why there needs to be a gauntlet of dudes the way they are placed. The worst is the mages who put that debuff on you that makes it so that you move slowly (it's basically this games verison of twop). Its really annoying to have to be fighting dudes when all of a sudden your moving slower and can't dodge attacks as well. Unlike the challenge area in Sunken King, I can actually see how this is designed for multiple players but I still don't see how this would be fun to fight though, just less annoying than doing it solo. And then we get to the boss which is nothing more than a smelter reskin. I will say that it does feel like an actual boss unlike the Sunken King challenge area but having players fight a blue version of a boss that is in the main already is just lame as hell. Still not seeing the value in these co op challenge areas if I'm being honest. They just have rushed feeling to him. The dlc's are great without these areas and they don't seem to be adding much if anything at all.

Iron King challenge area done. Man I am really struggling to think of anything positive to say about this area. I just don't see why there needs to be a gauntlet of dudes the way they are placed. The worst is the mages who put that debuff on you that makes it so that you move slowly (it's basically this games verison of twop). Its really annoying to have to be fighting dudes when all of a sudden your moving slower and can't dodge attacks as well. Unlike the challenge area in Sunken King, I can actually see how this is designed for multiple players but I still don't see how this would be fun to fight though, just less annoying than doing it solo. And then we get to the boss which is nothing more than a smelter reskin. I will say that it does feel like an actual boss unlike the Sunken King challenge area but having players fight a blue version of a boss that is in the main already is just lame as hell. Still not seeing the value in these co op challenge areas if I'm being honest. They just have rushed feeling to him. The dlc's are great without these areas and they don't seem to be adding much if anything at all.

No need to find an excuse to like the Iron Passage. It is pure trash.

gogosox82

Geez, I don't have any DLC for DS2 and now I read this.

Is it worth it? :/

The main areas in the dlc are quite good and better than vanilla DS2. Its these challenge areas that are bad(well at least the ones in Sunken King and Iron King have been bad. I haven't done Ivory King yet) but they are optional and I'm also a bit of masochist.

I love the DLCs in this game. With them, I'd say this is my favorite Souls game.

Now, I've tried to love the Majestic Greatsword. A shitload of people use it in PVP but I just can't jive with it. The left handedness of it eliminates too many techniques for me e.g. backstabs, guard break, parry etc. The special attacks hit hard but it's so telegraphed and gimmicky. The Claymore is superior in almost every way and it's buffable. I'd probably consider the MG the 3rd best greatsword behind the Claymore and Black Knight Greatsword.

Top Bottom