• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Opening Cinematic]

burgerdog

Does the Japanese release with English text by any chance? I have the PC version already paid for but I'll pay whatever the cost to get the jp version if it ships with English.

Do we still know if the huge Lord of Cinder, is The Giant Lord or not from Dark Souls 2? Because they look uncanny simmilar.

People saying the Giant guy is a Giant from Dark Souls 2 need their eyes checked.

He's wearing chainmail armor with a crown. Thats not his face that has a hole in it, you just cant see it clearly. And even if you could it looks to be completely charred black.

So they say that this is the land where the Lords of Cinder come together and show the Anor Londo arches. Seems to me this is at least where Lordran was, we dont know for sure about Drangleic because of obvious reasons.

The Abyss Watchers seems like a call back to the covenant Artorias made with the Abyss to be able to traverse it.

Also I wonder which LOC was supposed to come out of the grave next to firelink in the cinematic? Is it the sludge guy?

Another thing. There's 4 empty thrones according to some leaked gameplay from last week, yet the opening cinematic shows 3 bosses...hmmm

MrHoot

Pretty interesting sights but the overall thing doesn't quite do it for me yet. I'll have to wait for the release i'm guessing.

But it looks like such a retread, like Dark Souls 1 "greatest hits". One of the exact things DaS2 was criticized for. I really hope, since it's Miyazaki, that we're getting more this time around than just some more cycle crap

"We need to name something that's really bizarre and Eldritch"

"Change the E to a U"

Cool trailer though. The Abyss Watchers look badass.

Not feeling it at all. Seems like they're copying the first Dark Souls opening cinematic template, trying to list all the baddies, but it just doesn't even come close to hitting the same notes. Seems very uninspired.

Very ambivalent about what I've seen from this game so far.

Same. It's like they turned the Dark Souls 1 opening cinematic into a mad libs and just replaced the words with new stuff.

Mcdohl

vq5HVnm.jpg

These guys are hype as fuck.

Dark Souls wasn't ever even on my radar. Then I jumped into the Bloodborne hype.

I'm all aboard the DS3 hype train. First jump into Dark Souls.

Finalow

for a moment I was surprised that no one complained about movement/animations/the HUD/insert random rant about souls series/frame pacing yet, then I realized it was just the opening cinematic.

glaringly similar to the first Dark Souls opening, good stuff.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm going to be a little disappointed if all the boss transformations involve the carbon snake goo. I was hoping it would be a completely shameless Berserk ripoff where guys in crazy armor turn into beast monsters.

Gbraga

Man, this feels so much like Dark 1's opening, amazing!

From the tutorial gameplay,
we know for sure there are more thrones than that, so they're keeping some surprises, unlike Dark 1 where they straight up show you all the bad dudes you'll fight.

By the way, these Abyss Watchers, they're all Lords of Cinder? Did they link the fire together? As in, one of their souls was perhaps not enough, but combined they could.

I guess where I'm getting at is: Are we fucking fighting 5 bosses at the same time? Jesus.

Mman235

I wonder if Aldrich might be related to that boss in the recent footage in some way
given it's transformation made it into some weird blobby thing like Aldrich appears to be

Lux R7

Man, this feels so much like Dark 1's opening, amazing!

From the tutorial gameplay,
we know for sure there are more thrones than that, so they're keeping some surprises, unlike Dark 1 where they straight up show you all the bad dudes you'll fight.

By the way, these Abyss Watchers, they're all Lords of Cinder? Did they link the fire together? As in, one of their souls was perhaps not enough, but combined they could.

I guess where I'm getting at is: Are we fucking fighting 5 bosses at the same time? Jesus.

OR they do the fusion dance of their souls and we'll fight artorias full power :p

Neoweee

I don't understand, aren't the lords of cinder Gwyn, Nito, The Witch, etc? Who and why are these dudes lords of cinders?

Lords of Cinder are all of those that have thrown themselves into the flames over the eons to keep the first flame alive.

Lux R7

I don't understand, aren't the lords of cinder Gwyn, Nito, The Witch, etc? Who and why are these dudes lords of cinders?

no, the lord of cinder is someone who linked the flame. Gwyn was the first. The other you mentioned were the possessors of the lord souls.

Kazuhira

Turns out that artorias wasn't that badass when compared with his fellow abyss watchers.
All of them are wearing the same greatsword and maybe they actually linked the fire.

They were simply 'Lords', due to possessing Lord Souls, and only Gwyn was ever specified as being a 'Lord of Cinder'; so where exactly these guys come from, and what they are, is a little unclear (and likely a major plot point of the game).

Another thing. There's 4 empty thrones according to some leaked gameplay from last week, yet the opening cinematic shows 3 bosses...hmmm
There is actually 5 thrones according to the description of the of the picture of
Ludleth of Courland
that was released with the batch of screens a couple weeks ago:

Ludleth of Courland, a small, seedy-looking man.
Sitting atop one of the five thrones of the Firelink Shrine, he proclaims himself a Lord of Cinder.

edit: just noticed you said "empty", it's early :p

Landford

Banned
They were simply 'Lords', due to possessing Lord Souls, and only Gwyn was ever specified as being a 'Lord of Cinder'; so where exactly these guys come from, and what they are, is a little unclear (and likely a major plot point of the game).

Seens every undead who linked the flame in every cicle is a "Lord of Cinder". Gwyn had a Lord Soul (perhaps thats why he could link the fire and still live). Maybe
the Chosen Undead from the first game is now a Lord of Cinder, too?

I wonder if they are going to just completely ignore DS2 lore, or pick and choose from different things.

Santiako

Turns out that artorias wasn't that badass when compared with his fellow abyss watchers.
All of them are wearing the same greatsword and maybe they actually linked the fire.

Artorias was a failure that succumbed to the abyss, that was his whole story of his DLC.

The last throne is either reserved for you at the end of the game or at one of the transition points, or
it's for Manus, the true final boss and first to kindle the flame (if speculation that he's the Furtive Pygmy is true).

I hope the Chosen Undead shows up in some capacity, would be incredible.

Gbraga

Reminder that
one of your Firelink buddies is a deserter from Farron's Undead Legion.
:)

FUUUUUUUUCK

PODGSUJHPO
DSFJHPOFDSZJPJG
PDSJ

J
A
A
AS

YES, INDEED, HE IS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

EDIT: Also, the swords on the back, to the left, are the ones the Abyss Watchers carry, aren't they? Is
Blacksmith Andre
the one replicating Artorias' shit?

Molemitts

I was a little iffy on Dark Souls III, but the more I see of it the better it looks. I'm not sure if it's time to go on a blackout yet. I haven't gone out of my way to find information on the game, but I'm not exactly avoiding it either.

Bear in mind this likely isn't the whole cinematic. If it follows the DS1 template, it introduces the bosses, then switches to fast music while they kill dragons and go on a bender.

ctKCDg5.gif
GEyGwUt.gif

Yes, indeed, it is called Lothric
Where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge
In venturing North
The Pilgrims discover the truth of the old words:
The fire fades
And the Lords go without thrones
When the link of Fire is threatened
The Bell tolls
Unearthing the old lords of cinder from their graves
Aldritch, Saint of the Deep,
Farron's Undead Legion, the Abyss Watchers,
And the reclusive lord of the profaned capital, Yhorm the Giant,
Only in truth, the Lords will abandon their thrones
And the Unkindled will rise
Nameless accursed undead, unfit even to be cinder,
And so it is that ash seeketh embers.

Pretty sure it's Jung the giant, going with the whole "they're vikings" thing from DS2.

Top Bottom