• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

RiggyRob

Found the poison swamp area of Farron Keep: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=kD-nL2B58wU

I am not looking forward to the rest of this.

I managed to
dance around the two NPCs just before the bonfire, but I have no idea where the second one came from, and I probably can't beat the two of them at once at this point.

Also, I kinda like Orbeck's condescension, reminds me a lot of Straid. Then again, Straid was a huge badass whereas Orbeck seems a bit nerdy.

I just killed the last boss only to be struck by a bolt of lightning from above and died, having to kill him again.

fuck this game

i love this game

6for8

Anyone free to help me with the giant
skeleton king
today?

I will send another friend request, maybe the previous was missed. Easier to see when online that way.

That boss has lots of random to it. Can be extremely easy to a huge pain, where you fight him will influence what attacks he will bring. There are are a few weapons that he is, apparently, weak to. From the last page, you don't have the stats to wield the ones you could have.
Farron Greatsword & Wolf Knight's Greatsword

I watched most of it and know a few of those people. Some of those cancerous playstyles are why I have stopped playing lately. One fucking guy does nothing but Washing Pole running attacks. Gah.

For real. That was frustrating to watch. The worst part is, now more people will be using that stupid Carthus sword.

Mistel

Banned
I watched most of it and know a few of those people. Some of those cancerous playstyles are why I have stopped playing lately. One fucking guy does nothing but Washing Pole running attacks. Gah.
For real. That was frustrating to watch. The worst part is, now more people will be using that stupid Carthus sword.
The rather stale nature of pvp is a shame to see I feel that the less variety and options as compared to 2 have really limited pvp as a whole.

I didn't know who DudleyC was before watching that Havok tournament, but I was super impressed watching him beat Scott (DamnNoHtml). I checked out his Twitch channel after the tournament and he was streaming and hosting a fight club. I joined in and got my ass kicked by someone - I'm watching the replay right now and turns out it was Sksa, one of the participants in the tournament. No wonder lol. If you wanna see it, I'm the purple phantom with the Red Hilted Halberd fighting at 00:30:45 here:

https://www.twitch.tv/dudleyc_/v/79634197

I started off with a great 3-hit combo on him, but then he got a crazy backstab on me and I never really recovered. I ended up getting guard broken because I wasn't paying attention to my stamina -_-

I am really struggling with the Abyss Watchers. If I get hit 1 time I'm pretty much fucked because they just stun me.

Are you on PC? I can help you out if you want.

MattyG

Banned
Just had a weird bug. I embered up to try to summon people and beat a boss. Couldn't find any summon signs, so I went back to this bridge and HOLY SHIT there were about 30 skeletons charging out of the tunnels towards me. All those ones on the bridge? That's about a third of what there was. The other 2/3rds was on the ledge to the right of the picture before jumping off like lemmings.

13710444_10209996164291107_2397421778868043782_o.jpg

PS4 :/

I just got to the second phase by putting on much lighter gear, but I couldn't get a single hit on the second one.

OH MY GOD FUCK THIIIIIS. This is the first time I've been stuck on a boss in this game.

Edit: GOT IT! I summoned in a coop partner and we got it together in under a minute. That was awesome.

Tarkus

I didn't know who DudleyC was before watching that Havok tournament, but I was super impressed watching him beat Scott (DamnNoHtml). I checked out his Twitch channel after the tournament and he was streaming and hosting a fight club. I joined in and got my ass kicked by someone - I'm watching the replay right now and turns out it was Sksa, one of the participants in the tournament. No wonder lol. If you wanna see it, I'm the purple phantom with the Red Hilted Halberd fighting at 00:30:45 here:

https://www.twitch.tv/dudleyc_/v/79634197

I started off with a great 3-hit combo on him, but then he got a crazy backstab on me and I never really recovered. I ended up getting guard broken because I wasn't paying attention to my stamina -_-

What's the deal exactly with PtS and Scott? I understand that someone was talking shit after losing in the tournament and that got carried over to fights in YouTube comments. You seem to follow this Scott guy. I see they had a grudge match and Praise lost.

What's the deal exactly with PtS and Scott? I understand that someone was talking shit after losing in the tournament and that got carried over to fights in YouTube comments. You seem to follow this Scott guy. I see they had a grudge match and Praise lost.

It's an extremely petty beef. As far as I know, it started with Scott posting a PvP weapon tier list on Reddit, and PtS shit talked it in one of his YouTube videos. PtS is of the opinion that almost every weapon is viable. Scott disagrees. That's seriously it. Both of them seem a little arrogant, but Scott is objectively better at PvP and I tend to agree with him that some weapons - e.g., Carthus Curved Sword, Estoc, Gotthard Twin Swords, Gargoyle Spear, Washing Pole - are simply better than all others in their respective classes.

Yeah the outcome of the grudge match was not very surprising. PtS is a good player, but Scott is really good. I thought he was gonna at least make it to the finals of the tournament, but DudleyC whooped that ass. Poor PtS didn't win a single match in the tournament lol...

Tarkus

It's an extremely petty beef. As far as I know, it started with Scott posting a PvP weapon tier list on Reddit, and PtS shit talked it in one of his YouTube videos. PtS is of the opinion that almost every weapon is viable. Scott disagrees. That's seriously it. Both of them seem a little arrogant, but Scott is objectively better at PvP and I tend to agree with him that some weapons - e.g., Carthus Curved Sword, Estoc, Gotthard Twin Swords, Gargoyle Spear, Washing Pole - are simply better than all others in their respective classes.

Yeah the outcome of the grudge match was not very surprising. Poor PtS didn't win a single match in the tournament lol...
I like PtS' twitch streams because it's fun in the chat and he is a funny guy. I've also found some solid people to fight club with there. I don't like his YT vids because of his meta weapon use and reactive playstyle.

I haven't seen too much of Scott, but I am a subscriber. I really don't like his playstyle from what I've seen.

I'm more of a MrIwont4get fan. He plays aggressive as hell and uses many many weapons, even ones that aren't that great. And he uses R2s, which is rare among players these days. Like myself, he is growing tired of tryhard styles like the constant running attacks and people playing so reactive.

Persona7

Banned
Just had a weird bug. I embered up to try to summon people and beat a boss. Couldn't find any summon signs, so I went back to this bridge and HOLY SHIT there were about 30 skeletons charging out of the tunnels towards me. All those ones on the bridge? That's about a third of what there was. The other 2/3rds was on the ledge to the right of the picture before jumping off like lemmings.

13710444_10209996164291107_2397421778868043782_o.jpg

Bug? That is supposed to happen. Gives you a chance to cut the ropes as they go across the bridge.

RiggyRob

Just about managed to extinguish the 3 flames of Farron Keep without getting horrendously lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=wSeF2AlWC00

Man, FROMSoft are dicks -
not only do they make a massive poison swamp which you have to get through to progress, but they make the swamp slow you down so you can't move through it quicker AND lead you into a trap of basilisks that can petrify you.

And I tell you what, those forest giants don't fuck about either. Won't be trying to take on one of those again for a while at least.

No wonder PtS lost, although he put a good fights, is just that Scott is really good and incredibly methodical and pacient. With his really good grasp of the neutral game, ability to punish and HP regen items he is really hard to beat.

PtS is a kinda more flashy PvPer going after combos and cool moves, Scott barely ever does those kind of moves. That said I was surprised on how was pwned by DudleyC, that moment when they both exchanged R1 smashing was so unlike Scott, it was clearly a very bad move.

And Oroboro got pwned hard too lol

For those of you who miss Bloodborne:

Dark Souls 3: Bloodborne Trick Weapons

Just about managed to extinguish the 3 flames of Farron Keep without getting horrendously lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=wSeF2AlWC00

Man, FROMSoft are dicks -
not only do they make a massive poison swamp which you have to get through to progress, but they make the swamp slow you down so you can't move through it quicker AND lead you into a trap of basilisks that can petrify you.

And I tell you what, those forest giants don't fuck about either. Won't be trying to take on one of those again for a while at least.

Trick for the areas of the swamp that slow you down: equip a weapon with the Quickstep skill (like the Dagger). It lets you hop through the deep swamp at full speed.

But yeah, Farron Keep is basically everything annoying crammed into one place. Easily one of my most hated areas in a video game.

RiggyRob

For those of you who miss Bloodborne:

Dark Souls 3: Bloodborne Trick Weapons

Trick for the areas of the swamp that slow you down: equip a weapon with the Quickstep skill (like the Dagger). It lets you hop through the deep swamp at full speed.

But yeah, Farron Keep is basically everything annoying crammed into one place. Easily one of my most hated areas in a video game.

I guess that would work, but you'll still end up rolling when your magic bar runs out.

grmlin

So I'm pretty lttp and
Lorian and Lothric
are my Nemesis. I did not even make it into the second phase yet. Can this boss be bugged or something? He acts nothing like in the videos I watched. I had no major problems with the other bosses so far, but this one is so random and weird that I really have no idea what to do.

for example. He teleports all the fucking time, even if I stay close. He just teleports while I swing, hits me and then it's over most of the time.

ElCidTmax

Finished this game this weekend- having gone back to get any optional areas. Archdragon Peak is a pretty sizable area for an optional area!

Overall the game didn't hook me like BB did, but almost no game hooked me like BB. The game had it's moments but I never got the sense of place and history like BB.

Enjoying the shit out of Bloodborne, im fresh to the series btw. Have not played any of the DS releases would i enjoy DS 3.

Why i chose 3 its bexause 1-2 look straight up ugliness. I cant deal with shitty visuals. Now BB, that's a whooooooooole nother ball gm.

chunk3rvd

Can anyone on PS4 drop me a pyromancy flame? Needs to have no upgrades or at least be no higher than +4. Half for fashion (I'm doing a GoT red witch character) and half for convenience (so I can buff my sword but still throw chaos orbs from my right when I need to). Should be about for the next hour or so

Massa

Its amazing, I think the Grand Archives are actually worse than the swamps.

Don't forget to dunk your head!

Finished this game this weekend- having gone back to get any optional areas. Archdragon Peak is a pretty sizable area for an optional area!

Overall the game didn't hook me like BB did, but almost no game hooked me like BB. The game had it's moments but I never got the sense of place and history like BB.

Dark Souls looks amazing though. DkS2 I agree, its ugliness is my main problem with it.

grmlin

So, regarding
Lorian and Lothric
again. I watched some more videos.

Why the fuck can these people strafe around him like that. It's even mentioned in the wiki. When I try to do that he either starts to do his 360 swings (I can dodge that) or, more commonly, teleports away, most of the time behind me. The game then looses the focus on him and he punishes me instantly. I really think this is the cheapest boss so far, in both DS3 and Bloodborne+DLC.

To get things into perspective. Ludwig the rape horse and the Orphan both gave me a really hard time. But it was fun, and always my fault when I died. This boss is nothing like that.

Melchiah

Wow... how do people still manage to handle to play retro games, I wonder -_-

I've played games since Pong and C64 days, and I have absolutely no desire to revisit the old games due to their aged visuals, and often clunky gameplay mechanics. Different strokes for different folks.

Fuck
Aldritch

Especially the
arrows raining from the heavens
and the double purple
blast
. While I can dodge the first purple
blast
the second inevitably gets me.
Nobody to summon and help me either. Seems like noone is too keen on waiting at the top of the tower to be summoned...

So, regarding
Lorian and Lothric
again. I watched some more videos.

Why the fuck can these people strafe around him like that. It's even mentioned in the wiki. When I try to do that he either starts to do his 360 swings (I can dodge that) or, more commonly, teleports away, most of the time behind me. The game then looses the focus on him and he punishes me instantly. I really think this is the cheapest boss so far, in both DS3 and Bloodborne+DLC.

To get things into perspective. Ludwig the rape horse and the Orphan both gave me a really hard time. But it was fun, and always my fault when I died. This boss is nothing like that.
You know what's going to happen when he teleports, so you just have to time your roll accordingly, you have a beat to turn the right stick in order to see where he rematerialized and should be looking around the second the teleport animation happens.

grmlin

You know what's going to happen when he teleports, so you just have to time your roll accordingly, you have a beat to turn the right stick in order to see where he rematerialized and should be looking around the second the teleport animation happens.

No, I don't know. He has different attacks I have to dodge with a different timing. And as I can't see him I don't know when to dodge. I had some tries where I made it into the second phase, just because the boss behaved differently.
As I said, I don't know whats happening, I want to fight the version I see in the Youtube videos, too.

What I mean is you know what he's going to do - teleport. You don't know where he's going to teleport, but it's one of about 4 or 5 options, if you're moving the camera around ready you can usually catch where he is and dodge accordingly.

What the youtubers don't upload are the dozens of tries where they didn't have perfect RNG!

grmlin

What I mean is you know what he's going to do - teleport. You don't know where he's going to teleport, but it's one of about 4 or 5 options, if you're moving the camera around ready you can usually catch where he is and dodge accordingly.

What the youtubers don't upload are the dozens of tries where they didn't have perfect RNG!

The argument about the YT uploads is a good one, of course ;)

Anyway, I'll keep on trying, of course. But as of now, I'm pretty frustrated. After teleporting I maybe have (guessing right now) around 1/2 to 1.5 seconds to react and dodge. Anticipating the wrong attack will hurt me badly. Especially, because you loose the flow of dodging, thats so important in this fight.

Maybe thats what makes these games so interesting, bosses are different for everybody. I read horror stories about the bosses before,
Alderich, the Watchers, Dragon Armour, Undead King
, and none of them caused any major trouble.

grmlin

Absolutely. My biggest nightmares are Dancer and Soul of Cinder, but many say how much of a breeze these are for them. :)
One day later, first try, rng is with me. Get into the second phase, doin good, prince pulls some bullshit teleporting combo, camera looses him, rng wins.

This is such a nightmare. What a shit fight hurting my enjoyment of the game big time.

Ran into a Lorian/Lothric cosplay while invading at Pontiff. They did a pretty good job, though when I almost took out Lorian, Lothric started chucking lightning bolts at me. 7/10 Cosplay.

One day later, first try, rng is with me. Get into the second phase, doin good, prince pulls some bullshit teleporting combo, camera looses him, rng wins.

This is such a nightmare. What a shit fight hurting my enjoyment of the game big time.
Summon help? IIRC there's even a couple of NPCs for that fight, Orbeck and another Sirris(?)

grmlin

Summon help? IIRC there's even a couple of NPCs for that fight, Orbeck and another Sirris(?)
Fighting bosses on my own ;-)

After many many deaths I finally made it. I was dancing for about 10 minutes with this boss, as the magic brother did not stop spamming homing missiles at me. Like ALL THE TIME. I really hope the remaining bosses are better than that. And thanks for the help, of course.

-Horizon-

Finished up the Princes.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I mean it was still tough. But not Pontiff rip my hair out and break my controller unfair tough.

The lock on really helps with that teleporting shenanigan. And once I got into a rhythm I could always do pretty well before getting greedy and screwing my self over when I should've played it safe and dodge >.<
Dodge, dodge, one hit. Repeat.

That beam blast (and dual beam blast) took me a while to figure out (I'm sure the seasoned souls pros will laugh at me for that). Running and doing a quick roll when you hear the sound of the attack was apparently the best solution lol. For some reason I thought doing a side roll or just taking the brunt of the attack with that small magic defense shield was a good idea (not a good idea when the younger one joins and blows you away after you lose all your stamina blocking the first attack). I even thought, hey, let's hide behind a pillar since they aren't breaking like in the Aldrich fight. Nope, magic goes though them.

I liked the fight. I disliked the time it took to get from the dragonslayer bonfire to the elevator to the side of the room. That really annoyed me.

Top Bottom