• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Picking this up tonight. Out of curiousity - I see a lot of impressions and reviews from the press drive home how iterative and 'more Dark Souls' it is (in a bad way, depending on the outlet). Do people here share the same sentiment, for better or worse?

I skipped on DS2 and didn't play Bloodborne for long, so I feel like I won't have the same fatigue as some people seem to be having.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't particularly want to be, but I haven't been invaded by a player yet, is there a reason for that?

Sullichin

I don't particularly want to be, but I haven't been invaded by a player yet, is there a reason for that?
You can only be invaded in ember form.

Picking this up tonight. Out of curiousity - I see a lot of impressions and reviews from the press drive home how iterative and 'more Dark Souls' it is (in a bad way, depending on the outlet). Do people here share the same sentiment, for better or worse?

I skipped on DS2 and didn't play Bloodborne for long, so I feel like I won't have the same fatigue as some people seem to be having.

It's more of the same, won't change your mind if you don't like the series. But I think it's the best one.

Neoweee

The boss was triggered properly and killed the host both times. Various effects from the fighting were clearly visible through the fog gate. It happened on V
oldt
and C
rystal sage
btw.

Wow, that is very interesting, and a pretty big bug.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I haven't used ember yet, should I be?

And holy fucking shit!
The giant crab mini boss thing is wrecking me

KingKong

the Valve and From sponsored Steam Controller config for DS3 is fucked. for some crazy reason they made the right trackpad click a touch menu. also you cant use the joystiq in menus and have to use the dpad

just setting it to standard 3rd person config works fine but yeesh

Jobbs

Banned
the Valve and From sponsored Steam Controller config for DS3 is fucked. for some crazy reason they made the right trackpad click a touch menu. also you cant use the joystiq in menus and have to use the dpad

the problem is the steam controller sucks period :(

You can only use dpad in the menus regardless of what controller you use. It's been that way since demon's

played the game for 25 mins before having to return it due to it running like crap on my GTX 750 1GB.

Overall i liked what i played though, got to the
2nd bonfire on the high wall of lothric
. Although the halberd is pointy like dark souls, and not a cool swingy/pointy weapon like in dark souls 2.

Man the guys in the first real area who
mutate
are really kicking my ass. Just avoiding them instead for now. Are they supposed to be this rough to tackle or am I just rusty?

Firebombs work wonders on them.

Also, I found success hugging their big 'arm'. Much easier to dodge and strafe around.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck you piece of shit
tree of doom, burn all the trees in the world down!

went 2handed because I realised I wasnt blocking at all I was just dodging anyway, its amazing how 4 games in I still make the same mistake >_>

anyway, can finally move on lol

Daft Punk

Banned
Ok this first boss is a bitch. Does it seem like the iFrames in this game are pretty short? Dodging feels like a 2nd option to blocking.

Aurongel

Game plays pretty well although a bit too fast at times. Really gives the illusion that some of these mid-size Knight enemies have unlimited stamina. Apart from that, combat here is far more enjoyable than DS2 despite still having the same "JUST THROW ALL THE ENEMIES AT THEM AT ONCE" philosophy that game had. I wish some of that would scale for co-op but it doesn't.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so who am I supposed to give this
blue ring that the jail gave me to
? I just killed the
tree
boss, did I miss the
lady or is she ahead
?

Mupod

Playing as a pyromancer...
I'm just not getting the timing of parrying, no matter how hard I try. I had no problem with DS1 and the pistol riposting parry in BB, but the combat and parrying is much more similar to DS2 here, to the point where I can't make any progress.

Any suggestions? Are parrying time windows deliberately mistimed?

I practiced my parry timing on a lothric knight while farming for his set/sword. The timing is definitely very strict and feels like you want to do it at the last instant. I could consistently get him by waiting for a certain swing that I knew he'd follow up with a second swing and then parry the second (this is how I used to parry silver knights in DS1). I could do it pretty consistently after a while but yeah it's not gonna be an easy mode parryfest. More like just something to easily handle an enemy that you're familiar with and can predict.

Mokoi

Banned
really? >_>

ip00kbq.png
What r u casual
Playing as a pyromancer...
I'm just not getting the timing of parrying, no matter how hard I try. I had no problem with DS1 and the pistol riposting parry in BB, but the combat and parrying is much more similar to DS2 here, to the point where I can't make any progress.

Any suggestions? Are parrying time windows deliberately mistimed?
Parrying is so hard for me in this game. Was just replaying ds before this released, and it was so easy. Guess ima just have to die a lot practicing the timings. lol

Get'sMad

? I just killed the
tree
boss, did I miss the
lady or is she ahead
?

you find an item at the start of the following area in and give it to him

also god damn invasions still all 3 on 1 like when I was playing the JPN version. who are all these dang people who co-op and with 2+ people at that?

smh

Boogdud

Man the guys in the first real area who
mutate
are really kicking my ass. Just avoiding them instead for now. Are they supposed to be this rough to tackle or am I just rusty?

I just bum rush them before they get a chance to
mutate
. Thwickity thwickity thwack, yer dead.

silva1991

? I just killed the
tree
boss, did I miss the
lady or is she ahead
?

You before you encounter the first
Demon souls female fat official you will see a loot on a hinged body from the building you were in after the second bonefire there. loot it, read description and then give it to the thief.

Quikies83

? I just killed the
tree
boss, did I miss the
lady or is she ahead
?
She is a bit before tree boss. Around the fire pit area with the exploding barrels and the big magic mace fucker praying

Vuze

? I just killed the
tree
boss, did I miss the
lady or is she ahead
?
You'll find an item related to the
lady in Undead Settlement near the burning tree with the witch and a ton of zombies
(maybe you already found it but didn't realize). Check back with the guy after you picked it up.

Ok this first boss is a bitch. Does it seem like the iFrames in this game are pretty short? Dodging feels like a 2nd option to blocking.
Dodging feels more or less like DS1. I found it way easier to not lock on to this boss.So much better dodging than DS2, I almost wept with joy. Plus I got a shock when I kicked an enemy and got a front riposte, it plays much better than in DS2 since the bash was so awkward, thank god for kicks!

It took me 3 tries to kill the first boss, once I stopped using the mutli-hit R2 with the club which was just leaving me wide open, looks great though - hope to find some uses for it before I get a better weapon. Glad to say I could ditch my plank sield very quickly after the tutorial area boss. Time for some parry practice.

Melchiah

Beat G
undyr
on the first try, and reached the Firelink Shrine without dying. It takes some getting used to, that I have only a handful of health items to use, and I can't regain health by striking back.

Iorv3th

Yeah I modified their layout to make it like the one I use for dark souls 1. I have the triggers as light attacks and the grips as heavy attacks because I hate the bumpers on the steam controller. Also changed the dpad to only work with click as it was to sensitive.

I changed the edge spin speed on the right pad and radius as well.

the problem is the steam controller sucks period :(

When you don't take time to set it up and get used to it, sure. Great after you adjust to the touch pad.

You can only use dpad in the menus regardless of what controller you use. It's been that way since demon's

Also this. But thats because you can still move with the stick while in menus in most of the games, not sure if you can in dark souls 3. But if you want there is a seperate controller layout for when you are in the menu, you can change that to make the left stick a d-pad and you should be able to navigate the menus with the stick that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom