• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesqui

Anyone else find the NPC (In Undead Settlement) that is one of those
Cages with all those hands stickng out?
He only has one dialogue of singing. I wonder if there's anything more to him? I'm tempted to kill him to see what he drops.

fozzy

Saw two summon signs around what I thought was the first real boss. Wanted to do it on my own so I didn't call them.

Beat said boss quite easily and decided to summon them both so see what they looked like.

Yeah that big guy was no boss. All three of us got destroyed by the real boss in the next area haha.

Audioboxer

Started as a Pyromancer, then just decided to restart as a Knight since I was having to melee so much anyway. Got to
Farron Keep
and decided to try out "hard mode".

My god Sorcery is shit, and not because of the damage. Miyazaki, in his infinite wisdom decided to increase enemy speed to up to Bloodbone levels at times (which includes swarms of enemies at that speed), without adjusting the casting speed of the Sorcery spells. DEX and casting speed items do not in any way compensate. It's just stupid. You basically have to use the spells on one enemy at a time and hope that you can kill them with two-hits at most before they are in your face and hope that you don't grab more enemies at the same time.

Meanwhile, running around with a flame katana or raw claymore = easy mode.

Also not sold at all on the look of the game. It definitely has better "graphics" than the previous games, but there's too much clutter for the sake of simply tossing more shit on the screen, without any artistic merit, and it looks like it was run through a greyscale filter in most areas. Some of the areas are chalice dungeon tier quality too in the way they look.

Pyro is strong I've done the opposite of you. A fire infused sword is great to supplement pyromancies.

Neoweee

Doubt the ring is any better than previous games. All the gifts were garbage except for the upgrade material imo. Unless the consumable soul gives a lot of souls.

I used the ring for the entirety of my run through the JP version. It is better than it was in any of the previous games (7%, rather than 5%).

rdytoroll

Holy shit. I was just running around for an hour and couldn't find a bonfire, but then I opened the shortcut to the
Cleansing chapel
. My adrenaline is still pumping. I was out of Estus flasks the last few minutes, what a feeling.

Regular greatsword -
Claymore
in High Wall of Lothric, where the dragon breathes fire. Just like Dark Souls 1

Ultra Greatswords,
Zweihander can drop in the area after High Wall, and the regular Greatsword is found not too far after (Farron Keep)

Thanks dude. I must have just walked straight by the claymore, but I'm closing on the ultra greatswords now anyway so may as well hold out for one of them.

Sanctuary

Pyro is strong I've done the opposite of you. A fire infused sword is great to supplement pyromancies.

I specifically stayed away from Sorcery for my first character just because of how bad it was supposed to be. Once I got a handle on the game, and also kept finding a bunch of Sorcery items, I decided to try messing around with it.

Consistency is the biggest problem with it. It starts out relatively weak. By the time you put 28 into INT and have your staff at +1, you can one-shot most trash enemies with a basic Soul Arrow, and you can two-shot most of the knights, as long as they don't block the second. The problem is once anything gets up on you, or if you have to face more than one enemy at a time. Plus, the tracking on the arrows is as bad as it was in the first Dark Souls (they improved it in the second game, yet now it's kind of crap again). The increased enemy speed just ups the chances that the tracking will fail even more now.

TwinPeaksBOB

Neo Member
Anyone else having trouble with summoning help? I've tried probably 30 times now, and I only get the message "Unable to summon phantom" ...

psychotron

6UzXQ3F.jpg

Wife enjoys teasing me while I'm at work, lol. Can't wait to get home and fire this fucker up!!

Santiako

Anyone else find the NPC that is one of those
Cages with all those hands stickng out?
He only has one dialogue of singing. I wonder if there's anything more to him? I'm tempted to kill him to see what he drops.

Hear what he says,
and then find the enemy with a cage in his back.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
put 1 more dex so I can use this
ice sword from the ice knight before road of sacrifice
. hopefully this one is better than the halberd which I hated, at least its a sword which is what ive been using anyway. also its super pretty

Sullichin

Thinking of playing two first, which is the best version to get.

For PC btw,

Scholar of the First Sin is the better version. There's a crazy amount of content in that game. But it's definitely not necessary to play 2 before 3 if you were worried on missing out on story or something.

Matty8787

Scholar of the First Sin is the better version. There's a crazy amount of content in that game. But it's definitely not necessary to play 2 before 3 if you were worried on missing out on story or something.

No, not worried about the story.

I couldn't get into the first one, liked the look of BB but don't have a PS4 and thought about giving 2 a shot as it is cheaper than going straight into 3 and disliking it.

wrongway

Welp. Like Dark Souls 2 before it, parrying is fucking impossible on the PC. Haven't nailed one once and I've been practicing on fodder enemies. This issue existed in DS2 above 30fps.

I haven't tried it on a wide range of mobs or with an array of weapons/shields, but I was able to use my katana's parry just fine against that first
knight
. I spent some time farming him to see if he'd drop some cool loot and parried him a bunch.

Incase anyone cares, he also drops:

Lothric Knight armor (I got everything but the chest so far)
Lothric Knight Shield
Knight's Crossbow
Embers
Titanite Shards

Any quick tips on stuff to avoid permanently missing or screwing things up?

Particularly stuff like murderous npcs, npc side quests, making sure not to use an item unless for x specific reason, etc

It came down to the last pixel but I managed to one shot (5th or 6th boss spoiler)
the first form of abyss watchers lol. When the cutscene played I was thinking, "that's it right? Right? It can't be. Oh shit!" Tried again and the first form isn't bad using the red phantom to draw some aggro. The flame effects are super distracting on that second phase I feel. Sometimes I think I get hit and I don't and other times when I'm sure I didn't, I do. I beat Maria already From, leave me alone.

Pretty interesting concept for a boss.

I think I missed a path from the start. I beat the Meth Lizard and continued on to the first bonfire. Can anyone tell me? Feel like I saw another path and in my sleep deprived state I moved on.

TheRed

the Valve and From sponsored Steam Controller config for DS3 is fucked. for some crazy reason they made the right trackpad click a touch menu. also you cant use the joystiq in menus and have to use the dpad

just setting it to standard 3rd person config works fine but yeesh
Yeah the touch menu is completely unnecessary so I'll probably get rid of I had to mess with the sensitivity and in game to get it feeling much better. Also haptics I need them on high.

Sullichin

this is my favorite thing

Yeah. Game feels brand new even though I've been playing for weeks because of stuff like this. So awesome to see.

I was happy to see so many summon signs. I can just chill in High Wall of Lothric forever invading and getting summoned.

That feeling when you are at low health, no Estus flasks, and not a bonfire in sight. Playing as slow and carefully as possible.

God it's so good having a new Souls game

Sylas

Any quick tips on stuff to avoid permanently missing or screwing things up?

Particularly stuff like murderous npcs, npc side quests, making sure not to use an item unless for x specific reason, etc

Afaik you cannot do every sidequest and covenant in a single playthrough. So you're going to miss some stuff regardless of how careful you are.

Sullichin

the Valve and From sponsored Steam Controller config for DS3 is fucked. for some crazy reason they made the right trackpad click a touch menu. also you cant use the joystiq in menus and have to use the dpad

just setting it to standard 3rd person config works fine but yeesh

That touch menu stuff sounds pretty awful. I have a Steam Controller and I don't really like it. I found playing DS1 with it to be nearly impossible. Probably won't try again when the XB1 controller works so well with this.

But, even with a normal controller config, you have to use the d-pad to move around menus and not the analog stick, because the analog stick will move your character, because menus don't pause the game

Shifty

So, I've just discovered the boundless joy that is Souls co-op for the first time. This is without doubt the most fun I've ever had in a From Software game.

If anyone sees Shifty the Sneak's summon sign around the Undead Settlement, hit me up for some jolly cooperation! This is great.
(Do we have an official GAF password yet?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom