• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III week on Playstation Access

a new gameplay video every day
tumblr_n2zk112r1a1tsz4zio1_400.gif

Opening area spoilers from the above video

Really digging the design of this area. For the most part it's linear like Undead Asylum/Things Betwixt, but there seems to be a shitload of hidden paths with items along the way. Near the end there seems to be at least one branching path guarded by a powerful enemy. I wonder if this branch leads to an item, or another area? Also digging the cold color palette of the area, and dat vista early on is tits.

HYPE

Opening area spoilers from the above video

Really digging the design of this area. For the most part it's linear like Undead Asylum/Things Betwixt, but there seems to be a shitload of hidden paths with items along the way. Near the end there seems to be at least one branching path guarded by a powerful enemy. I wonder if this branch leads to an item, or another area? Also digging the cold color palette of the area, and dat vista early on is tits.

HYPE

Pretty sure the commentator implied another area for late game. So probably like the graveyard for Dark Souls 1 except with a gaurd to prevent low level wandering.

Blobbers

"Touch the demon inside me"
"Touch the darkness within me"

I haven't watched any videos, is the VA the same as the maiden in black and the doll?

Oh Lord, new footage every day for a week... I don't think I should anymore...

Having the True Colours trailer be the last thing I get up until worldwide release feels like what the right thing to do......

Hey guys, is this supposed to be some of the stuff that's going to be revealed or has this already been talked about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIlmeY5FzLg

NoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hey guys, is this supposed to be some of the stuff that's going to be revealed or has this already been talked about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIlmeY5FzLg

Did they seriously remove the ability to see your character in the inventory screen like Dark Souls 2 had?

What a fucking bummer and absolutely backwards decision if so. I really worry that some of the good things DS2 did(Inventory improvements,streamlining weapons and armor upgrades, areas still being online enabled after the area boss has been beaten) would be scrapped.

Jombie

Still disappointed you have to warp to and from the hub. I'm kind of tired of that shit after Bloodborne.

Still disappointed you have to warp to and from the hub. I'm kind of tired of that shit after Bloodborne.

Demon's Soulswas similar. I think you can walk there just as well, right? Or is it a hub you only can teleport from/to like in Bloodborne? I wouldn't mind, either.

Also..man, I love the rugged and withered look of the surroundings! Those gnarly leafless trees growing out of the bricks eveywhere, the distant vista. From is delivering on the art-design once again.

Demon's Soulswas similar. I think you can walk there just as well, right? Or is it a hub you only can teleport from/to like in Bloodborne? I wouldn't mind, either.

Also..man, I love the rugged and withered look of the surroundings! Those gnarly leafless trees growing out of the bricks eveywhere, the distant vista. From is delivering on the art-design once again.

The hub seems to be an actual place in the world. Not sure if warping is required at any point like in Demon's/Bloodborne.

Ill Saint

The hub seems to be an actual place in the world. Not sure if warping is required at any point like in Demon's/Bloodborne.

I hope that's actually the case. Really do not want another disconnected hub world.

Can anyone confirm for those of us trying to stay spoiler-free?

Jombie

I think you can walk there just as well, right?

I don't believe so. It forces you to warp to High Wall of Lothric.

I won't mind it as much if I don't have to sit through two loading screens, but I don't understand the affinity for a level up NPC. Dark 1 did it the best - I wouldn't mind going to Firelink to upgrade the Estus Flask, but consistently warping back to the NPC is just needless and feels like padding in Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, even if there is some hamfisted lore reason. I hope there is more than one blacksmith in the world.

Mifec

Weren't you supposed to be able to warp from bonfires like in 2 but also have the world interconnected?

Because it's only from the shrine then it's an incredibly imbecilic decision on the devs' part.

Jombie

Weren't you supposed to be able to warp from bonfires like in 2 but also have the world interconnected?

Because it's only from the shrine then it's an incredibly imbecilic decision on the devs' part.

Disconnected hub, ala Nexus and the Hunter's Dream. I think it was confirmed a while back, but it's implemented in a jarring way in the footage. At least in Bloodborne you had to unlock each area, you just warp to Lothric from the hub.

Robiin

I have stayed in the dark regarding Dark Souls 3, because I was exhausted after Bloodborne so I just couldn't get hyped for another game so soon. But now I'm feeling it. And since it's so close, I might as well try to stay in the dark.

The only thing I'm asking is, does it seem to be shaping up nicely? I didn't really like the Dark Souls II way of evolving the series by having multiple enemies, repeating and boring bosses and dirt areas everywhere. And the first impression was boring as fuck compared to the other games. I truly hope this is better.

Ill Saint

Disconnected hub, ala Nexus and the Hunter's Dream. I think it was confirmed a while back, but it's implemented in a jarring way in the footage. At least in Bloodborne you had to unlock each area, you just warp to Lothric from the hub.

Wait, you have to warp to even get to the first area?

With the exception of Dark Souls II this happened in every Souls game so far. Demon's Souls had the stones, Dark Souls had the raven, Bloodborne had the gravestone (after you possibly died fighting the first monster in the actual first area)...I wouldn't be too concerned.

Skip to the very end of the video.

Ah, my bad. Cut it off a bit too early.

Kind of an interesting choice to have the hub directly connected to the tutorial area, but require warping to reach other locations. I wonder if any interconnections will develop between the hub and the outside areas, considering that alternate path with the high level enemy outside Firelink.

Non-tutorial first area, yes.

Game flow seems to be tutorial area -> enter hub on foot -> warp to first real area from hub.

Daante

Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. Patience. I'm gonna crack.

This

Estus/ashen flasks allotting is brilliant

magic users who shot from safe distance don't deserve many healing potions and they get more ashen flasks for more spell casting instead

I like this.

Definitely, and I love that reallocating them is free and painless. Should make it fun to experiment with different combinations.

Tactics18

No armor reinforcement option and the way you access the High Wall are a little jarring.
I hope the whole game is interconnected after that.

Also some little nitpicks -
You can warp to every bonfire and not only a few like DS1. Kind of a shame in my opinion.
And I hoped there'd be another master key, but oh well.

Everything else looks amazing

Hypron

Did they seriously remove the ability to see your character in the inventory screen like Dark Souls 2 had?

What a fucking bummer and absolutely backwards decision if so. I really worry that some of the good things DS2 did(Inventory improvements,streamlining weapons and armor upgrades, areas still being online enabled after the area boss has been beaten) would be scrapped.

Don't tell me they also removed the ability to consume consumables without the inventory closing automatically. It blows my mind that BB doesn't have that when DaS2 does.

Don't tell me they also removed the ability to consume consumables without the inventory closing automatically. It blows my mind that BB doesn't have that when DaS2 does.

I actually never noticed this till I recently made a new Bloodborne build and had to use cold bloods...definitely something that should have stayed.

It's like Miyazaki is ignoring two and is not taking from any of the positives. Seems like DS2 was made in a complete vacuum from all the other Souls games.

silva1991

No armor reinforcement option and the way you access the High Wall are a little jarring.
I hope the whole game is interconnected after that.

Also some little nitpicks -
You can warp to every bonfire and not only a few like DS1. Kind of a shame in my opinion.
And I hoped there'd be another master key, but oh well.

Everything else looks amazing

If it's like BB then it's gonna be interconencted world outside of hub area

You can warp to every bonfire and not only a few like DS1. Kind of a shame in my opinion

interesting opinion but why?

I was against that in DS1. having to run from a far bonefire to get to the dlc because just to get to the dlc in each run was annoying as hell to me, because I couldn't warp to the woods bonefire near drakes valley.

I'm against warping the the beginning of the game but if I do get the ability to fast travel/war then I want to warp to each checkpoint and not just few.

It's like Miyazaki is ignoring two and is not taking from any of the positives. Seems like DS2 was made in a complete vacuum from all the other Souls games.

Well...It sort of was lol. And no he isnt completely ignoring it. See the Ds2 like "Giant"(which im betting isnt really a Ds2 Giant) and things like drinking Estus on ladders and the way stats work.

Looks like they are taking a few of the good things from each game. Things like being able to see your character while in the menu are just little niggles that dont affect gameplay all that much imo.

Hypron

I actually never noticed this till I recently made a new Bloodborne build and had to use cold bloods...definitely something that should have stayed.

Yeah it's one of those small things that's not an issue most of the time, but when you try to use many consumables it makes you think "who the heck designed this thing?".

Yeah I really wish those small quality of life improvements were transferred over...

Well...It sort of was lol. And no he isnt completely ignoring it. See the Ds2 like "Giant"(which im betting isnt really a Ds2 Giant) and things like drinking Estus on ladders and the way stats work.

Wait wait wait a minute... You can drink Estus on ladders in Dark Souls 2???

Edit: Just tested and you can. 250 hours spent on the game and I didn't know... mindblown.gif

Yeah it's one of those small things that's not an issue most of the time, but when you try to use many consumables it makes you think "who the heck designed this thing?".

Yeah I really wish those small quality of life improvements were transferred over...

Wait wait wait a minute... You can drink Estus on ladders in Dark Souls 2???

Edit: Just tested and you can. 250 hours spent on the game and I didn't know... mindblown.gif

I find it funny I know this and I only played through Ds2 1.5 times lol

I love how the character creator only features the countries/places from Dark Souls 1 or new ones as origins and completely ignores any places from Dark Souls 2, lol.

Lol yup...Im sure the writers/Miyazaki understand Dark Souls 2's small world building additions didnt amount to very much. The major beats are getting some love though, like the thrones and crowns and giants...sadly. Hopefully theyre able to retcon that nonsense into having actual significance.

Mifec

I find it funny I know this and I only played through Ds2 1.5 times lol

Lol yup...Im sure the writers/Miyazaki understand Dark Souls 2's small world building additions didnt amount to very much. The major beats are getting some love though, like the thrones and crowns and giants...sadly. Hopefully theyre able to retcon that nonsense into having actual significance.

I mean it had the single best char in the series (Burnt Ivory King) so if they do he better stay.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm coming from Bloodborne, never played a Dark Souls before and I'm looking to make my entry in this one.

I have a question, we only got 3 flasks as opposed to the 20 blood vials in Bloodborne? That must make the game considerably more challenging.

Top Bottom