• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
No thanks, the one thing I still like about Japanese developers (for the most part) is that when they release a game - it's finished.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Orayn said:
We won't be completely sure until after release, but there haven't been any major problems with the 360 version we've seen used at various shows.

Seems promising. Here's hoping.

Speevy said:
This isn't one of those games where this would even be an issue.

What kind of reasoning is this? If the 360 version was a chuggy mess dropping frames like mad whereas the ps3 version was a solid 30 then yes that would be reason enough to stay clear of the inferior version. I'm not talking about a 5% difference in contrast like the majority of multiplat games.

Foffy said:
Well, in the case of From, their idea is to offer as much game as possible, which is why there will be no DLC. They believe items and areas that are downloadable make the game unfair for those who don't have them.

I guess this is why they have lots of optional areas and bosses in the core game. They're there for the dedicated, not those who spent extra money. Which is the way it should be.
no i mean for patches and stuff lol. can't have a game breaking bug if it ever comes up!

Orayn

worldrevolution said:
No thanks, the one thing I still like about Japanese developers (for the most part) is that when they release a game - it's finished.
I dunno, From has released DLCish sequels for the Armored Core series in the past. I know it's a different part of the studio, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something like Armored Core 2: Another Age or Silent Line: Armored Core 3, whether digitally or at retail.

worldrevolution said:
For dark souls especially I agree with you. Feels much more genuine. Even though I wanted the sixth Archstone ;(

jsrv

Corky said:
So the 360 version seem to be on par with the ps3 one, correct?
They showed 360 footage and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Only thing I can think of is that you won't be able to play with or against Japanese players with the 360 version so the playerbase is one region worth less.

Raide

Orayn said:
I wouldn't mind large-ish expansions like what GTA IV or RDR got, though. Maybe they could even be standalone to prevent the "JUST WAIT FOR THE GOTY EDITION!" effect.

4v4 Arena Mode.
Boss Rush Mode.
More SP Content.
Seasonal Items (Dark Souls Santa Outfit, have to kill Dark Santa.)

Foffy

Banned
DMPrince said:
no i mean for patches and stuff lol. can't have a game breaking bug if it ever comes up!

Well, I think the current patch fixes the noted bugs of the game, notably freezing when logged on PSN. That's been the biggest issue.

I just find it impressive that the game's not even officially out for 24 hours, and they're already improving on it.

jsrv said:
They showed 360 footage and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Only thing I can think of is that you won't be able to play with or against Japanese players with the 360 version so the playerbase is one region worth less.
we'll probably play with mostly between EU and NA anyways. japan wouldn't be that big right? so it wouldn't matter.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Alright..gonna get ready..head to work..and pick the game up. I'll probably post some pictures. Until later!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
worldrevolution said:
Well..it's Dark Souls day. Will pick up the game in a few hours. Sucks to wake up to news about PSN down and day one patches for freezes but hey..that's what Dark Souls does..takes no prisoners.
Good luck sir

jsrv

DMPrince said:
we'll probably play with mostly between EU and NA anyways. japan wouldn't be that big right? so it wouldn't matter.
Due to time zone differences it probably wouldn't matter. I don't know how popular Dark/Demon's Souls is in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a very significant player base

Foffy

Banned
It's this guy again, with the text-to-speech.

I'd laugh up a storm if he turns it off again after English users raid the chat.

The_Monk

Ah, first time I saw an enemy healing in Dark Souls, was wondering if they still did that or not.

And did anyone noticed how they seem to rush to you when you're healing? They are getting smarter! Nooo!

Soma

Oh awesome, my buddy returned my copy of Demon's Souls. :D

Now I'm gonna do another playthrough instead of tempting myself with sweet sweet Dark Souls footage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
moonspeak said:
Oh awesome, my buddy returned my copy of Demon's Souls. :D

Now I'm gonna do another playthrough instead of tempting myself with sweet sweet Dark Souls footage.
Much better choice :)

Yoshichan

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Time for my stream fix, holy shit!
Get a grip man :/

Yoshichan

Foffy said:
A grip? When he gets a grip, it will the game gripping his neck and killing him.
This almost turns me on.

Almost.

Fuck, I need this game asap.

Orayn

Yamibito said:
So do we know if the co-op this time is traditional drop-in drop-out or the strange summoning kind from Demon's Souls?
Summoning via symbols again, though I don't think it works exactly like it did in Demon's Souls.

Orayn said:
Summoning via symbols again, though I don't think it works exactly like it did in Demon's Souls.

I thought I read it is with stones of some kind now, similar to the Red Eye Stone in Demon's Souls? Man, information overload.

Orayn

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I thought I read it is with stones of some kind now, similar to the Red Eye Stone in Demon's Souls? Man, information overload.
But I read that
there was a spell that put caused dozens of symbols so you could summon someone for help?
Information overload is right.

Foffy

Banned
Yoshichan said:
This almost turns me on.

Almost.

Fuck, I need this game asap.

I know that feeling. I feel as if I want to import the game now...

I know for damn sure if there's a stream going on, I'll watch it, and that'll spoil me. The issue is that the game would be in moonrune for me, and I can't understand anything in these menus.

Orayn said:
But I read that
there was a spell that put caused dozens of symbols to appear to help you summon someone for help?
Information overload is right.

Hmm, I vaguely remember that too now. I guess we can say it's similar, but not the same!

Yoshichan

Hopefully it's still subtle.

vilmer_

I've dipped in and out of the streams and I am absolutely amazed that they could actually go ahead and deliver a better experience than Demons Souls... From Software /bow

So I was just wondering, is anyone going to be working on the Wikidot for Dark Souls. I really enjoyed the one for Demon's Souls. When can we expect it to be up?

Luckydude23 said:
So I was just wondering, is anyone going to be working on the Wikidot for Dark Souls. I really enjoyed the one for Demon's Souls. When can we expect it to be up?

I did mention this earlier in the thread I think. The guys there are doing it behind the scenes I believe, and will probably put it up by release in Oct, not sure of the degree of completion it will be. They're working with Namco in some form I believe.

Foffy said:
You mean like this?

This one will have most of the information up by the time the other one launches is my guess...

nonnocere

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
If this doesnt get a PC port I will strangle a unicorn.

I'll take some unicorn meat in a can, then. I haven't seen any information on that.

canned_unicorn_meat_zoom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom