• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mindlog

I made a Level 50 character designed to help players in co-op.
I've been getting summoned regularly for O&S but I was wondering if there any other locations that would be fairly popular. I've completed the game and dlc multiple times so I can go anywhere.

I play on the PC version.
I've been doing the same thing at SL 50. I just drop my sign everywhere because why not. Went to go buy some stuff from Oswald and somehow got summoned to fight the Gargoyles. I just stood with my shield up while they cut the tail. Then I one shot (or something close) the second Gargoyle with a Soulmass. Laughs were had by all.

When I first got to Anor Londo I was invaded and ate a Dark Bead. Yet ever since then I've almost felt bad about killing reds. On a Sunbro run some Phantom came running into a room trying to get the host and took a full Soulmass in the face. Poor little fella. A lot of newer players run around summoning everyone they can when they get invaded. Still tweaking my build to try stuff out. The Moonlight Butterfly Horn and Greatsword are fun diversions. Still messing around and dabbling in various setups. Will eventually add 10 levels just to look at the Soul Spear spells for a bit.

I've done VIT/END/whatever, DEX and now INT. After getting a taste of everything I'm leaning towards STR/AGI for DS2.

Darkdeus

Finally got to the DLC. The bosses are much harder! Here's a few action shots that I recently took that I thought you guys might like:
Fullset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/sets/72157634774669900/

11998334974_d31fc60fd7_b.jpg

12077161334_b2897ef69f_b.jpg

9396505871_c64ae50e67_b.jpg

9356923504_0e422bb557_b.jpg

9356869522_421c0de01f_b.jpg

12081575584_d90bcff9f4_b.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Started the game yesterday on 360 and got to Firelink Shrine. Holy hell, is the framerate going to be this choppy for the entire game? I almost died to the first boss because one of my rolls didn't register, since I think I pressed the roll button while the game was stuttering.

Also is there any way to switch the bumpers and triggers? Blocking with LB and attacking with RB feels so unnatural.

Last question - I chose the master key as my gift but in another thread people were suggesting newcomers not pick the master key since it's made for skipping the easy parts and going to harder areas faster, and that it would get me in trouble if I'm not familiar with the game. Should I reroll and pick another gift?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Awesome screens as always, Darkdeus. :)

Kalameet at SL1 was the hardest for me! Took 15 minutes to kill Kalameet because I was taking my time and trying to avoid most of his attacks because one mistake with him and I was dead! THIS is how I beat him at SL1. Manus was ridiculously easy with a crossbow, just had to learn his attack patterns which took a while because all the bosses in the main game are so ridiculously easy compared to the ones in the DLC, just to show how easy he was with a crossbow! I'm stuck at Gwyn, though. My fully upgraded pyro glove is doing shit loads of damage BUT he always grabs me and one hit kills me. :(
Nice, congrats. Any reason why the crossbow strategy wouldn't work on Kalameet? Also, any reason to use the Balder shield against him instead of Grass Crest for stamina buff? I see the Balder shield tanked Manus's attacks quite nicely, but I don't think you blocked any of Kalameet's attacks.
Interesting tactic though, it wouldn't have occurred to me to use a crossbow on these bosses because I assumed that they'd take paltry damage, but it actually does decent damage even at SL1. Huh. I'm currently doing an SL1 run myself (beat Quelaag and went to the Catacombs), I might upgrade that crossbow after all. :) You've inspired me, thanks!

Edit: for Gwyn, just try parrying him? The grab move is telegraphed enough to be dodged without too much difficulty.

DukeBobby

Kalameet at SL1 was the hardest for me! Took 15 minutes to kill Kalameet because I was taking my time and trying to avoid most of his attacks because one mistake with him and I was dead! THIS is how I beat him at SL1. Manus was ridiculously easy with a crossbow, just had to learn his attack patterns which took a while because all the bosses in the main game are so ridiculously easy compared to the ones in the DLC, just to show how easy he was with a crossbow! I'm stuck at Gwyn, though. My fully upgraded pyro glove is doing shit loads of damage BUT he always grabs me and one hit kills me. :(

SL 1, huh? I'll probably attempt that after about 50 playthroughs. I had enough trouble at SL 75.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Capra demon is so fucking hard.. AAAARRRRRRGGHHHH

and it's definitely adding to the frustration that i have to run a fuckin mile from the firelink shrine every damn time. i need to take a break for a while.

cj_iwakura

Beautiful screens. As good as I think DkS2 looks, imagine if they were of that caliber. That'd silence the haters quick.

Turns out I do actually need some aid. Using the DSfix, runs well and all that but despite setting the display resolution to a 16:10 resolution there are black bars. What am I missing?

Capra demon is so fucking hard.. AAAARRRRRRGGHHHH

and it's definitely adding to the frustration that i have to run a fuckin mile from the firelink shrine every damn time. i need to take a break for a while.

You're missing a bonfire shortcut seemingly. The one at the undead burg by the merchant, before the bridge with the dudes tossing firebombs onto it. As soon as you get to the area near Capra there's some stairs to the right that lead up to the room with the 3 hollow soldiers in it

DietRob

You're missing a bonfire shortcut seemingly. The one at the undead burg by the merchant, before the bridge with the dudes tossing firebombs onto it. As soon as you get to the area near Capra there's some stairs to the right that lead up to the room with the 3 hollow soldiers in it

Yea I went over and rested at that one to be my spawn point. I'm still getting nailed though. I really am going to turn it off for a while and try to come back with a fresh head later on. I'm getting just enough souls on the run back to buy some charcoal so I can make my +5 battle axe fire so one of these times I'll finally get this asshole. Hopefully.

ultron87

Started a new game tonight. Last time I played was over a year ago where I ran out of steam post Anor Londo. Apparently I at least still remember the start of the game since I managed to ring the first bell with 0 deaths in a pretty short amount of time. Definitely felt real good and familiar even though it had been quite awhile.

Had a fun moment right before the Gargoyles where I got invaded and instantly hit a summon sign to bring in help. The invader showed up just as my friendly phantom was loading in, so he managed to save my ass. Dunno how much I'll be human, but that was definitely a pretty fun experience. I have piles of humanity already so I might flirt with being human more.

Definitely going to be smarter about to stats this time around, since I was a little unfocused last time around which made me not as effective as I could be.

EnemaEms

Banned
1st time I fought the Capra demon, I applied the resin to my sword that adds temporary lightning damage. The Capra Demon did not like that lightning. :)

Beat Artorias! After reading that he could be knocked out of his powered-up phase the fight became kind of easy. Poor chap

Oolacile Township is spooky as fuck

Beat the Gargoyles! I got the Drake sword, which probably made it really easy, but i'm not good at the game so it was still a good challenge for me. Can't wait to see how i get demolished today.

Good! Now drop the Drake Sword and use those souls you got to buy 10 titanite shards, then upgrade a good weapon to +5 instead. You'll thank me.

DietRob

Good! Now drop the Drake Sword and use those souls you got to buy 10 titanite shards, then upgrade a good weapon to +5 instead. You'll thank me.

Eh, why not both? I have the drake sword and my battle axe +5 seems like a good mix to me.

Ruuppa

Eh, why not both? I have the drake sword and my battle axe +5 seems like a good mix to me.

By all means use the Drake Sword, but don't *only* use it. Because the Drake Sword is so powerful early on, many people opt to only use it, and don't get used to the upgrading mechanics for other weapons. That's the greatest danger on using it, as its power starts to peter out in midgame, and quickly becomes overpowered by all the upgraded scaling weapons available.

Well shoot, i had already pumped all those souls into leveling up. I'll have to wait until i get more. Also not exactly sure where to buy titanite shards, or where i go to upgrade a weapon. I'll keep my eyes open, i already have 3 shards. Should i wait until i have 10 before upgrading, or go ahead and pump those into a weapon?

For extra spooky, do Township while human. ohgodtheinvasionswhatamidoing?!

I was human for a fair bit, didn't encounter anyone though. Probably not in the right level range. Although I did get murdered by the mages. Man, they hit like trucks and when you get too close they palm your head like, "get the fuck outta my face with that." and slam more black balls at you.

I went and backed out and did Duke's Archive. I remember it being my favourite of the 4 post Anor Londo areas, it's short as hell though. The Seath fight, dat framerate omg. Game was a nice 60fps the whole way through but those crystals shattering brought the entire thing to a halt. I've still never cut his tail, I tried to before I got sick of it and attacked its stomach and the tail swipe from the big tail was doing 70% on its own then another tail would finish me off with an alleyoop. Crazy

Sometimes, this game looks gorgeous. Damn

Ruuppa

Well shoot, i had already pumped all those souls into leveling up. I'll have to wait until i get more. Also not exactly sure where to buy titanite shards, or where i go to upgrade a weapon. I'll keep my eyes open, i already have 3 shards. Should i wait until i have 10 before upgrading, or go ahead and pump those into a weapon?

You can buy Shards from the blacksmith at Undead Parish, and you should add upgrades to your favourite weapon whenever possible, regardless of if you can take it to the upgrade limit or not.

DietRob

By all means use the Drake Sword, but don't *only* use it. Because the Drake Sword is so powerful early on, many people opt to only use it, and don't get used to the upgrading mechanics for other weapons. That's the greatest danger on using it, as its power starts to peter out in midgame, and quickly becomes overpowered by all the upgraded scaling weapons available.

Do you feel like the battle axe is a worthwhile investment? I've played the game about 10 times but have always stopped and rerolled after ringing the first bell. I like attacks from the battle axe but I don't want to dump too much into it if it too will be underpowered.

For mid and late game what is a good hit damage number that will see me through?

mannerbot

Do you feel like the battle axe is a worthwhile investment? I've played the game about 10 times but have always stopped and rerolled after ringing the first bell. I like attacks from the battle axe but I don't want to dump too much into it if it too will be underpowered.

For mid and late game what is a good hit damage number that will see me through?

Basically any weapon that isn't obviously terrible (and that scales with stats) is fine as long as you like the moveset. Since it scales off of both str and dexterity, put points into str up to 27 so that 2-handing brings you to the soft cap of 40 and then start putting points into dex (only D scaling for dex though), and it'll be fine into the endgame. Alternatively you can go with an elemental upgrade if you don't want to level str/dex.

DietRob

Basically any weapon that isn't obviously terrible (and that scales with stats) is fine as long as you like the moveset. Since it scales off of both str and dexterity, put points into str up to 27 (so that 2-handing brings you to the soft cap of 40) and then start putting points into dex, and it'll be fine into the endgame. Alternatively you can go with an elemental upgrade if you don't want to level str/dex.

Cool. The only stats I've been focusing on is Dex, Str, and End. I'd really like to turn this battle axe into a lightning axe so I'm reading up on that now.

mannerbot

Do the souls of the Iron Golem and Quelaag make any decent weapons, or should I just consume them?

Boss souls don't give that many souls, not really worth consuming. Quelaag's are pretty nice and the Iron Golem's lets you shoryuken so...

Cool. The only stats I've been focusing on is Dex, Str, and End. I'd really like to turn this battle axe into a lightning axe so I'm reading up on that now.

Well, hopefully you haven't been putting very many points into str/dex beyond the minimum requirements for your other weapons, because lightning weapons don't scale with stats as I mentioned.

Ruuppa

It depends on what kind of weapon you like using, but I aim for around 300 damage midgame, and over 400 for lategame.

Battle Axe has a solid moveset, with surprisingly fast attacks as long as you connect with them. It can take you through the whole game, but there are better options around, such as the basic Longsword. Test weapons out, see what movesets suit you.

The best stats to keep an eye out in weapons are the scaling levels. For example the Demon's Greataxe has only 114 base damage unupgraded, but has a scaling of A in Strength, meaning with high Str it does a huge amount of damage. Most weapons also gain a rank in scaling when upgraded to +11, so the damage keeps piling on with high stats.

Boss souls don't give that many souls, not really worth consuming. Quelaag's are pretty nice and the Iron Golem's lets you shoryuken so...

The axe you get from Iron Golem's soul is neato, with a cool ranged attack.

DietRob

It depends on what kind of weapon you like using, but I aim for around 300 damage midgame, and over 400 for lategame.

Battle Axe has a solid moveset, with surprisingly fast attacks as long as you connect with them. It can take you through the whole game, but there are better options around, such as the basic Longsword. Test weapons out, see what movesets suit you.

The best stats to keep an eye out in weapons are the scaling levels. For example the Demon's Greataxe has only 114 base damage unupgraded, but has a scaling of A in Strength, meaning with high Str it does a huge amount of damage. Most weapons also gain a rank in scaling when upgraded to +11, so the damage keeps piling on with high stats.

The axe you get from Iron Golem's soul is neato, with a cool ranged attack.

Great thanks for the tips! I have a few longswords in my box so I'll test them out too.

Well, hopefully you haven't been putting very many points into str/dex beyond the minimum requirements for your other weapons, because lightning weapons don't scale with stats as I mentioned.

I guess lightning isn't a requirement if I'm able to get other weapons to do more damage via stat scaling. I'm still pretty early on in both of my playthroughs. I'm level 31 on ps3 and just made it to level 30 on PC. On PC I have a pyro with more focus on dex/str. On ps3 I started with a theif but have transitioned into more of a warrior focusing on str/end but putting some points in dex.

I'm trying to really focus on PC right now because I'm headed out of town for a while this monday so I want to get as far as I can. I'm taking my ps3 with me so I can immerse myself in dark souls when I'm done working and back at the hotel.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
This archers on the rafters section is not cool. Not cool at all. Why do they have to be near walls that when I hit them, I hit the wall and then bounce off to my death? Whyyyyy

There are ways to cheese them. One solid tactic that works most of the time is simply to get a stable shield and get up close. Then hold up the shield every time he strikes and try to push left past him. Eventually his animation will bounce him off the ledge.

Randam

This archers on the rafters section is not cool. Not cool at all. Why do they have to be near walls that when I hit them, I hit the wall and then bounce off to my death? Whyyyyy

it is kind of funny.
i only found out about the section being hard for so many players, after i got past it with no problems.

think, the first time, i used a great shield.

now i parry them and then ripost.

Hey thanks guys I'm glad you liked the shots. I used dsfix with an internal rendering of 5120x2880 and in some shots I used these sweetfx settings:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9739867/sweetfx/darksouls_sweetfx.txt

i meant the camera angles and moments of the shots.

looks really, really good.

Beat the Capra Demon and now i'm in the sewers. Died to some frog thing and it's curse. So far i am not a fan of the sewers. Lots of annoying rats and frogs and slimes.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I thought my SL1 character had finally met her match in Knight Artorias. I ended up forgoing my pyromancy and putting away my shield. Two-handing a Lightning Battle Axe +5 eventually got the job done. The final fight took close to twenty minutes, but the feeling of triumph upon seeing "You Defeated" at 2:11 in the morning was so worth it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Got to the Capra Demon and holy fuck what was that. Bastard killed me in like five seconds.

Starting to feel like I or my equipment are underpowered. It takes forever to kill one of those crystal dudes in Darkroot Basin and there's only like five of them. Haven't been able to kill that huge knight who waits in the shortcut between there and Undead Burg - again it feels like I hit him and do no damage at all. And then of course there's Capra fucker.

Are there any good shortswords available anywhere? I started as a sorcerer and my Shortsword+4 just isn't doing the trick I'm afraid. Maybe I should crank up Endurance more so I can wield a regular Sword without being encumbered?

Randam

the long sword is a pretty good standart sword.
or try the claymore from the bridge.
and upgrade them to +5.

and get one of the kite shields from andre.
prett good, but not to heavy.

the crystal golems are weak against strike damage.

you mean the knight down in the tower?
havel?

back stab him.
get ride of your armor, to become faster.

and you dont need endurence to wield swords.

Hey all, can I get some build suggestions?

I have a SL 30 sorcerer with 30 intelligence, 23 attunement, and everything else is base.

I using the tin banishment catalyst and bellowing dragoncrest ring.

I'm not sure what I want to do with this guy. Go pure sorcerer or incorporate an intelligence weapon into the mix. I'd really like to give the moonlight great sword a go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ultron87

Oh god, I forgot about that hole in the sewers and fell into the frog room. The horror!

Managed not to get cursed, but that was still quite alarming.

Oh god, I forgot about that hole in the sewers and fell into the frog room. The horror!

Managed not to get cursed, but that was still quite alarming.

Yeah that's where i got messed up. Not looking forward to having to climb out of the sewers and get all the way to the Gargoyle tower in order to cure the curse.

Divius

Hey all, can I get some build suggestions?

I have a SL 30 sorcerer
INT is most important. The Moonlight Greatsword is amazing but you need to be relatively far into the game to get it, until then just get a melee weapon you are comfortable with, maybe upgrade it to Magic so it scales with INT. Follow the Big Hat Logan storyline. Get the Dusk Crown.

Also that tin banishment catalyst is technically worse than other catalysts, you want to use the regular Sorcerer's Catalyst right now (unless you use the melee attack a lot) simply because it is stronger, and once you get
Logan's Catalyst
and your INT is above 40 (which it probably will be at that point) you want to use that.

DukeBobby

Started a SL 1 playthrough. It's not going well.

Maybe I should have completed the game more than once before attempting it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Started a SL 1 playthrough. It's not going well.

Maybe I should have completed the game more than once before attempting it.

Upgrading your armour, pyromancy flame, and a weapon you can wield is very important. The reinforced club is an SL1 favourite and the starting pyromancy armour upgrades nicely, and helps keep you under 25% burden for quick rolling. Learning to exploit dodge/roll invincibility is also key to surviving hard hitting enemies and most boss fights. Take your time with it and practice surviving/taking no hits from weaker mobs. It's definitely a different style of play but you'll adapt if you stick with it.

Top Bottom