• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC trailer [Matchmaking, new bosses, enemies, NPCs, weapons, armor, areas]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

None of the games you mention used the Havok Engine, so they aren't good counterarguments.
How so? Someone says that Arkham City might have taken longer to get a PC release if it didn't use GFWL, and I point out two recent multiplat games that didn't use GFWL and got simultaneous releases. You then say my examples don't count because they don't use the Havok Engine but give no reason why GFWL is somehow the magic bullet here, nor any explanation for games like, I dunno, Bioshock and Fallout New Vegas, that do use Havok, don't use GFWL, and got simultaneous multiplatform releases. I don't mind that you're a GFWL apologist, but please try to make some sense. Even a little is alright.

Also this is all a total derail from the fact that GFWL sucks.

Massa

To get back to game discussion for a bit, on the latest Weekend Confirmed episode we learned that:

- there's significantly more to the extra content than a couple of boss fights;

- the game doesn't look all that different on PC, they didn't seem impressed at all;

- there's supposedly a lot of embargoed information still to come from that event.

To get back to game discussion for a bit, on the latest Weekend Confirmed episode we learned that:

- the game doesn't look all that different on PC, they didn't seem impressed at all;

- there's supposedly a lot of embargoed information still to come from that event.

F YEAH !

I guess the textures will be the same, difference being resolution, antialiasing and framerate.

Aselith

They may not have had the graphics options available in what they were showing off (if there are going to be any for this release) so it may have been essentially the same as the console version right now. We've got a little time before they actually ship this thing out. Leaving that aside modern hardware will be running this game at a much higher constant framerate and that's reason enough to celebrate. Hopefully, graphic options can be forced whether they add them or not which is going to make it look significantly better.

I really hope they make the effort to do this right though.

Jintor

I can confirm. 17th or 18th depending on tiemzones.

I don't know where they saw any demo units, besides maybe the looping presentation running behind Miyazaki.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not expecting any new graphic tech with regards to the pc version, I'm expecting a port in the truest sense of the word but that's more then enough for me. All I wish is that the game is "optimized".

Dascu

I can confirm. 17th or 18th depending on tiemzones.

I don't know where they saw any demo units, besides maybe the looping presentation running behind Miyazaki.

What kind of "information"? I mean, can we count on actual new game announcements, or is it just extra info and media on games we already know about?

Unicorn

GFWL?

That honestly shocked me. Why wouldn't they put it on STEAM. I feel like almost all of the people petitioning for it to come to PC will drop support/sales when it hits because of GFWL.

Jintor

What kind of "information"? I mean, can we count on actual new game announcements, or is it just extra info and media on games we already know about?

It'll just be clarification of what Miyazaki presented + results of interviews, so that'll depend on what the media were asking him.

I culled a few questions from this thread and the other one, so I'll let gaf know when the embargo drops. Like I said before though, there was a Namco-Bandai PR dude in the room, so...

Glass Rebel

After being disappointed by the GFWL announcement I took a trip to Gamersyde, DLed some videos and have to say...

Optimization > Graphics

as long as I get 60fps@1080p with some decent AA options I'm fine.

Btw: can someone explain the souls to me or link to a good explanation?

ArjanN

I listened to that episode and to be honest I think Jeff just wasn't sure what he could and coudn't say and he just wasn't aware most of that info was already out there.

linko9

Yeah, I listened to it as well and it didn't make any sense. I don't think he was being very clear at all. He said it was pretty much a straight up port, but then acknowledged that he knew there was a bunch of new content in it. Don't really understand his comments.

GFWL?

That honestly shocked me. Why wouldn't they put it on STEAM. I feel like almost all of the people petitioning for it to come to PC will drop support/sales when it hits because of GFWL.

Hopefully it is at least like most modern titles.

1. Sees game show up on steam
2. buys it, downloads, doesn't read the fine print
3. what the fuck is this G4WL shit?!?!?
4. Plays it, gets a little more bitter.

ijed

Btw: can someone explain the souls to me or link to a good explanation?

Well souls are the unit of currency in the game that you use to level up and buy things with - Bosses also drop unique souls that can be used to forge unique weapons with ... is that what you mean?

Glass Rebel

Well souls are the unit of currency in the game that you use to level up and buy things with - Bosses also drop unique souls that can be used to forge unique weapons with ... is that what you mean?

Yeah, but how do you earn them? By killing enemies? Are bosses replayable to get several of those unique souls? Do you even need them?

I also read stuff about "losing" souls. What's up with that?

Yeah, but how do you earn them? By killing enemies? Are bosses replayable to get several of those unique souls? Do you even need them?

You earn souls by killing enemies. There are also soul items that you can use that will add to your soul total. These are scattered across the world. You cannot replay bosses in a single play through but there is new game +. When you die, you drop all of the souls you currently have (you do not drop your items, you will always keep your items which makes the soul items you find valuable). Your can retrieve your souls by returning to the spot where you died. A glowing green orb will be sitting on top of your blood stain. If you die along the way, however, a new blood stain will be created with your current soul count and all the souls you dropped previously will be lost.

Zertez

There is several types of souls in the game. All mobs drop regular souls on death, the tougher the mob, the more souls you will get. Kill something and regular souls drop. Some bosses drop a unique soul. Most major bosses have a one of the kind soul. You can use the unique souls to make special weapons/armor/spells etc, or you can eat the soul for a lot of regular souls. Bosses do not respawn, they are gone until another play through. Most of the time unique souls make a couple special items, so you can not get all the items in one play through. You can beat the game without ever using the unique souls, but the items do help.

1-D_FTW

I honestly don't understand how there are so many people in this thread who don't understand being GFWL has nothing to do with being on the Steam store. Of course it's on Steam from day 1. It's almost like most people in here don't actually buy their PC games. Such basic info. Sorry if it comes off as harsh. But come on, people. If you're a serious Steam buyer, you can't escape your library getting clogged with GFWL titles.

ijed

Yeah, but how do you earn them? By killing enemies?
Yep - kill enemy - get souls.

There are also items you pick up called 'Soul of Nameless Soldier/Brave Knight/Warrior etc' but instead of going in your active amount of souls they go into your inventory and give you a certain amount of souls when used - good to use when you're at a blacksmith/merchant and need a few extra souls for that purchase.
Are bosses replayable to get several of those unique souls? Do you even need them?
Bosses can only be defeated once per playthrough - You don't need the unique souls to complete the game, but their descriptions give good lore if you're interested in that stuff

When you die all souls you have amassed will be left as a bloodstain where you died - you have to get back to this spot to reclaim them. You don't loose anything in your inventory though - only your souls ... and active humanity ... which is a whole nother thing to explain!

EDIT: explained better by Felix Lighter :D

Glass Rebel

You earn souls by killing enemies. There are also soul items that you can use that will add to your soul total. These are scattered across the world. You cannot replay bosses in a single play through but there is new game +. When you die, you drop all of the souls you currently have (you do not drop your items, you will always keep your items which makes the soul items you find valuable). Your can retrieve your souls by returning to the spot where you died. A glowing green orb will be sitting on top of your blood stain. If you die along the way, however, a new blood stain will be created with your current soul count and all the souls you dropped previously will be lost.

There is several types of souls in the game. All mobs drop regular souls on death, the tougher the mob, the more souls you will get. Kill something and regular souls drop. Some bosses drop a unique soul. Most major bosses have a one of the kind soul. You can use the unique souls to make special weapons/armor/spells etc, or you can eat the soul for a lot of regular souls. Bosses do not respawn, they are gone until another play through. Most of the time unique souls make a couple special items, so you can not get all the items in one play through. You can beat the game without ever using the unique souls, but the items do help.

Thanks to both of you, especially the bolded parts sound interesting. Can't wait for the game :)

Edit: and of course thanks to ijed too

ijed

Can't wait for the game :)

This is more of what I want to hear in this thread - I'm excited for the people that have yet to experience a souls game and hoping they get as much out if it as I have in the hundreds of hours I've played each of them - as excited as I am about playing the new content that's getting added!

I wonder if they're going to improve stat scaling on equipment. Playing as a straight dexterity character was really tough and the payoff wasn't necessarily worth it.

Curious to see what these new boss souls make too.

Definitely in for this, just not day one.

I wonder if they're going to improve stat scaling on equipment. Playing as a straight dexterity character was really tough and the payoff wasn't necessarily worth it.

Curious to see what these new boss souls make too.

Definitely in for this, just not day one.

Did they not improve scaling with any of the console patches?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The 1.05 patch improved the weapon upgrade paths that scale with stats, but it didn't really go far enough with it. The upgrade paths of choice are still either the non-scaling ones or the old PvP standby of a simple +15 paired with a weapon enchantment.

As long as they're elbow-deep in the game adding stuff and porting it I hope they take the opportunity to make another pass at balance and fix some of the glitches that still remain.

Zzoram

It would be nice if there were higher resolution assets but I'm guessing they won't have any. Hopefully the new content is at least.

Varna

The 1.05 patch improved the weapon upgrade paths that scale with stats, but it didn't really go far enough with it. The upgrade paths of choice are still either the non-scaling ones or the old PvP standby of a simple +15 paired with a weapon enchantment.

As long as they're elbow-deep in the game adding stuff and porting it I hope they take the opportunity to make another pass at balance and fix some of the glitches that still remain.

I'm always surprised how much praise the game gets for being a great "RPG."

Like I have said, best game to come out of this generation. However, the character building is pretty bad. Plenty of stats are just useless and magic (weapons and spells) are just ridiculously OP. Not to mention Pyromancy which is just... crazy to me. Someone actually thought it was a good idea?

I did not realize this was the same engine as the Dirt games. That is very encouraging. At what framerate did the Dirt games run on consoles? They are beautiful and perform great on PC.

According to Digital Foundry they ran at a solid 30fps.
None of the PhyreEngine games running on PC had bad performance so far, so I'm pretty optimistic that it'll run fine. The only weird bit is the crap performance from the trailer, let's hope thats console footage.

elohel

I wonder if any of this decision has to do with patching costs for Xbox live

it'd prolly be cheaper to just re release the game on disc lol

Emitan

I'm always surprised how much praise the game gets for being a great "RPG."

Like I have said, best game to come out of this generation. However, the character building is pretty bad. Plenty of stats are just useless and magic (weapons and spells) are just ridiculously OP. Not to mention Pyromancy which is just... crazy to me. Someone actually thought it was a good idea?

What's wrong with Pyromancy? Bad? Good? I want to play as one when this comes out.

UrbanRats

An overpowered Pyro allows for a larger entry level, without resorting to handholding which is good.
Too bad the PVP suffers from it, apparently (though i don't do pvp, and as far as i know, pyro is not very used in PVP anyway).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What's wrong with Pyromancy? Bad? Good? I want to play as one when this comes out.

It's a form of spellcasting that is completely independent of stats. Instead of relying on the character's stats to increase the power you spend souls at one of several trainers to increase the level of your Pyromancy Flame, which increases the power of all Pyromancies you cast with it. At maximum level a Pyromancy Flame can't deal as much damage with a spell as can an Intelligence build with Sorcery, but it comes reasonably close and the Sorcery-using character needs to invest 35-40 levels of stats into Intelligence to reach that level of power. The Pyromancer, by contrast, has to invest absolutely no levels whatsoever, only the 300,000-odd souls necessary to fully upgrade the Flame. Not chump change by any stretch of the imagination, but really not all that huge of an expenditure in the grand scheme of things.

The end result of all this is that it's a big component of griefing builds. You can't invade players below your level outside of a handful of specific scenarios, so if you want to hunt newbies you have to keep your level down. So instead of investing souls in levels you spend them all on upgrading your weapons and Pyromancy Flame, allowing you to hit well above your weight class, so to speak. Then you start invading early-game areas loaded up with your maxed-out Pyromancy and non-scaling weapons. Properly kitted-out your low-level griefer is next to impossible to kill using early-game equipment and a single hit from any of the griefer's weapons will cause a low-level, poorly-equipped character to explode like a meat balloon.

The truly elite griefers can exploit the game's naive confidence in individual client machines to kill their victims before they've even spawned in the victim's world. From the point of view of the invasion victim their character just suddenly bursts into flame, falls dead, then watches their murderer appear out of thin air and Praise the Sun as they keel over. It's actually kind of impressively creative, albeit not very nice at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pyromancy is boring as fuck. Simple as that.

I understand the griefing issue and the lower investment issue of pyromancy but outside of the iron flesh spell, I don't know why pyromancy is more boring than sorcery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom