• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC trailer [Matchmaking, new bosses, enemies, NPCs, weapons, armor, areas]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the crap I'm talking about. Woops you have to start over! No thanks.

That .gif is pretty good. Those guys aren't exactly inconspicuous, though.

As you make your way through dungeons, you'll be opening shortcuts and reaching new bonfires. You will not lose tons of progress when you die in almost all cases.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Then you don't want Dark Souls. Why are you excited for this game again?

Gvaz

Banned
Then he should have paid attention.
It shouldn't murder you from one attack. It should take most of your hp and allow you time to react afterwards.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if there were better checkpoints or the dungeon didn't reset but since it doesn't, I can't deal with that kind of stuff.

That .gif is pretty good. Those guys aren't exactly inconspicuous, though.

As you make your way through dungeons, you'll be opening shortcuts and reaching new bonfires. You will not lose tons of progress when you die in almost all cases.

Good, so it's already better than Demon Souls.

It shouldn't murder you from one attack. It should take most of your hp and allow you time to react afterwards.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if there were better checkpoints or the dungeon didn't reset but since it doesn't, I can't deal with that kind of stuff.

In that .gif the guy is running around with very low health and he has several health flasks. I'm not going to say that some enemies won't 1 hit you if they get you with the right attack, though. There are times when a powerful enemy will catch you with a powerful attack if you make a mistake.

The guy in the .gif already had low hp. I can remember really only one enemy that kills most build with one attack, and it's pretty conspicuous and you have to intentionally reach his location (the item that opens the pathway warns you about the presence of an enemy too, as long as you have the patience to read the text description).

Has the debate well really run that dry? People have to justify truly having fun over being manipulated into a good time?

If that .gif is actual gameplay they are clearly not prepared (gear/rings/consumables). How they were that distracted in such a low threat area and allowed that barbarian to "blindside" them after having to cover a fair amount of distance does not seem like a fault of the game. Frame rate issues or not, they are standing in a poison swamp and do not seem all that concerned with it. I also do not understand the hate for Bed Of Chaos/Izalith in general. BOC is the rare instance where you are able to chip away over multiple attempts. If anything, FROM went with soft toss on that one. I thought the game was glitched the first time I went back and the damage carried over.

Jigsaw

Banned

it's actually worse than demon's souls,there are bosses like seath where you have to travel through 3 (!) locations to get back to him

same goes for blacksmiths,2-3 dungeons everytime you want to upgrade a weapon

it's actually worse than demon's souls,there are bosses like seath where you have to travel through 3 (!) locations to get back to him

same goes for blacksmiths,2-3 dungeons everytime you want to upgrade a weapon

Only Vamos is a pain to get to. Every other blacksmith is pretty close to a warpable bonfire.

Jigsaw

Banned
The teleport help a lot to travel faster...

that's a lie because 7 out of the 9 (?) teleport points are totally useless

even with teleporting you still need to travel through 2-3 dungeons if you want to get back to blacksmiths

Only Vamos is a pain to get to. Every other blacksmith is pretty close to a warpable bonfire.

even the very first,andre,is a pain,if we just could use the bonfire before sens fortress as a teleporter

Demon's Souls had pseudo checkpoints within most of the levels. The first level even had a pseudo checkpoint directly to the first boss. (the door to the castle would open with the boss in it, and your spawn point is right near that door).

Zertez

There's no Dark Souls OT still breathing that I know of so I'll use this thread to say :

Fuck Tomb Of Giants, Fuck Nito!

At least I found the bonefire near Patches, I missed it for longer than I'll care to admit :p Too far along to abandon, I'll show this game who's the boss!

Soo regarding this new content coming to consoles what would you guys prefer :
-DLC
-New disk version of the game

My money is on the new version of the game, in the goal of pulling gamers who haven't made the jump yet and it would also bring a lot a of player to the online.
The OT is still moving in community. There is still a lot of players playing the game. I agree TotG sucks if you have no light source.

Eh Dark Souls definitely has its moments.

wefw.gif

That's why I like it though.
This is a funny gif, but the player was wreckless. He pulled the Barbarian, stood in the poison swamp, and then tried to fight a bug with half health and poisoned. In other games you can get away with fighting ton of things at one time, but not with Dark Souls.

If you take away the difficulty, the game wouldnt be near as much fun. It is punishing the first few times, but you learn from the mistakes and the feeling you get for beating a tough area, is not found in many games. Respawning enemies, seems rough at first, but it helps in the long run. You learn the area, and if you recover your blood stains, you end up beating the level with a lot more souls and humanity. When you learn an area, it is much easier to farm souls and items, if you want to. While frustrating at times, it is fair most the time and will give you great highs when you beat a tough boss.

even with teleporting you still need to travel through 2-3 dungeons if you want to get back to blacksmiths

It is not a lie. You can practically dart past all adversity on the way to vendors from the local bonfire. Vamos provides the most challenge, though an elevation drop is the greatest threat. The bonfire placement really takes away a bit of the edge in comparison to Demon's Souls. It is not even a hardcore thing. The Souls games are so much less intimidating than max difficulty on most games with tiered difficulties.

Kyoufu

This is false. Blacksmiths are easy to reach.

Never heard anyone say the warp locations were useless... did you play the game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, seriously? Pay attention and this won't happen.

The guy was almost death. He was reckless. I gets reset until the last bonfire, but there are plenty of checkpoints.

even the very first,andre,is a pain,if we just could use the bonfire before sens fortress as a teleporter

Andre is not a stretch at all. Take the elevator from Firelink and you can run a straight line right to him with no altercation whatsoever if you manage your stamina accordingly.

Bed of Chaos:
run to the right, bait or tank the attack before you roll into the vines, kill the orb. Move back to the center along the wall, slowly. If the floor breaks, jump across. Move over to the left side and hug the wall. There will be one or two gaps in the floor that you have to jump. Enter and kill the orb. Retrace your steps and move towards the center. The arms will flail past, right then left. Move forward until the floor breaks. Move back to wait for another set of attacks. Run towards the break and roll down onto the branch. Make sure no arms are flailing past above you, then move forward. Prepare to eat an inevitable fire attack as you enter the vines. Heal up and roll on. Kill bug. Done.

Of course, the challenge is doing it all in one go, but each part is managable and you can run the entire way back from the bonfire without fighting the enemies.

A quote from Ian Bogost in Unit Operations:
"Videogames are thus subject to two equally strong forces opposing their use as tools for social commentary, social change, or other more "revolutionary" matters. On the one hand, the anthropological history of games has set the precedent for their separation from the material world. On the other hand, videogames inherit a mass-market entertainment culture whose primary purpose is the production of low-reflection, high-gloss entertainment.

Even earnest attempts by game critics and developers to overturn this received conception of videogames can be shown to reinforce rather than challenge the status quo. Raph Koster, Sony Online Entertainment Chief Creative Officer and lead designer of popular massively multiplayer online games Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies, offered a recent such effort, a unique book of cartoon sketches and semi-aphoristic insights called A Theory of Fun for Game Design. The book's title already implies Koster's adoption of "fun" as a yardstick for games, but, in an attempt fraught with hazard, he tries to recuperate the term for broader purposes than the production of anonymous desire.

In his attempt to preserve "fun" at the center of the experience of games, Koster musters loose principles from cognitive science; fun, he argues, is the sensation of "our brains feeling good." Koster opposes critiques of fun like Postman's, arguing that we "migrate" fun into contexts. In particular, the primary kind of fun that games produce comes from mystery of a task. In their representational form, what I call unit operations Koster calls "abstract models of reality." For Koster, fun is very nearly a pedagogical category, "the feedback the brain gives us when we are absorbing patterns for learning purposes."

[...]

Unfortunately, Koster's reliance on fun as a first principle for games forces him into a corner. On the one hand, he makes a convincing call for games that fulfill goals beyond mere entertainment. This call is especially constructive given Koster's relative celebrity in the game design community. On the other hand, he argues that the effect games produce in their players--all games, and all players--is "fun." This reliance on a single output for games contradicts his earlier, apparently reproachful observation that a singular expressive goal limits the medium. The reliance on fun poses a conceptual problem for Koster, who must retrofit the revolutionary potential of games to mate properly with the concept of fun that serves as his engine. [...] Koster is hard pressed to avoid the rhetoric of fun as the superficial conveyance of capital so often associated with the entertainment industry, the goal that Benjamin foresees and Postman critiques.

[...]

Koster's insistence on grouping meaningful responses of any kind under the rubric of "fun" is simply perverse."

Anyway, that's just how I tend to think of what happens when people believe that everything in a game has to be "fun."

QDkKM.jpg

hitsugi

Yeah that was extremely careless and who walks around with such low health WITHOUT looking around? Generally lower health = higher survival instincts..

Foffy

Banned
Yesterday, I lost 8 rings of sacrifice to Bed of Chaos. FUCK THAT BITCH.

Bed of Chaos is more of an event and less of a boss. In cases like that, I just play wreckless to the event at hand.

What? A big, menacing enemy should play easy? Especially with low HP as is? Your post reads like you're too used to the auto-health refill era games have poorly gotten used to..

This is false. Blacksmiths are easy to reach.

Never heard anyone say the warp locations were useless... did you play the game?

The game could have definitely used more warp locations. Like the second bonfire in Duke's for instance. Should have been one warp spot in every location.

Gvaz

Banned
This game isn't for you.
See the great thing about pc gaming is it still can be for me, but I can play it how I want to, rather than how anyone tells me to.

I don't like the masochistic nature of these games, but I enjoy everything else. Why not trivialize something that is a hindrance to my enjoyment? It doesn't affect yours, you can still play it your way, and I can play it mine.

Orayn

See the great thing about pc gaming is it still can be for me, but I can play it how I want to, rather than how anyone tells me to.

I don't like the masochistic nature of these games, but I enjoy everything else. Why not trivialize something that is a hindrance to my enjoyment? It doesn't affect yours, you can still play it your way, and I can play it mine.

I just think you're being overly picky and missing out on a cool experience. It's like you're trying to read a great work of literature, but you insist on skipping the "boring parts" because you think it's better that way.

Gvaz

Banned
I just think you're being overly picky and missing out on a cool experience. It's like you're trying to read a great work of literature, but you insist on skipping the "boring parts" because you think it's better that way.
So? That's my prerogative.

Foffy

Banned
I find it hard to call the games masochistic. In fact, Demon's Souls in particular can become incredibly easy when you get the spell Firestorm. You can kill bosses in about three hits. Magic has always broke these games, even during the King's Field days. Perhaps it's done on purpose. The game gives you a lot of ability to tweak your character into a beast.

The stop telling other people how to have their fun retort is on the way to becoming the new entitled/anti-consumer/guy with folding chair.gif. Is there any line at all in regards to what the developer intended and what the player wants? Should you be able to skip right to the ending credits and any progress related bonus materials just because that is what you want? At some point you may as well just watch the video.

Guys.....I think we may have to start preparing ourselves for the possibility that the PC version will not contain options to adjust resolution or AA, or anything.... Jeff Cannata, who attended the event at Captivate, basically came as close as you could to revealing those things as you could without actually saying it on the latest Weekend Confirmed:

Garnett: What did you learn about the PC version?

Jeff: "..... There are certain things about it being on the pc that I would have assumed would be the case that aren't the case.

Jeff: "It is very, very, very, very much a port."

Garnett: Resolution-wise, does it looked like its been kicked up for PC?

Jeff: .......

sleepykyo

That wasn't even a cheap shot though. Those things clear their throat every few seconds (unless they changed it for the pc) so you know there are a couple around when you hear it.

Orayn

And I'm not trying to stop you, but suggesting you at least give "vanilla" Dark Should a chance before dramatically changing the game to fix what you perceive as flaws. (Assuming it's mod-friendly enough for that to be an option at all.)

You may find it to be less "masochistic" than you initially believed, and understand how a hard-fought victory can be more rewarding than a convenient one.

Guys.....I think we may have to start preparing ourselves for the possibility that the PC version will not contain options to adjust resolution or AA, or anything.... Jeff Cannata, who attended the event at Captivate, basically came as close as you could to revealing those things as you could without actually saying it on the latest Weekend Confirmed:

Jeff: "..... There are certain things about it being on the pc that I would have assumed would be the case that aren't the case.

I expect very limited in game graphical options but I'm sure there will be resolution options.

dosh

He's basically 30 meters away from a checkpoint, he's fine :)
Dark Souls is built around these, and shortcuts (as was DeS).

ArjanN

The PC version is still like 4 months away.

mxgt

Banned

lol wut

Every PC game has resolution options

If they're making a whole load of extra content for the PC, why the fuck would they leave out graphical options?

Deadstar

So how is the co-op matchmaking supposed to work? Can I and my friend play through the whole game together or just certain parts?

You will mainly summon random people. If your friend is the same level as you then you can summon him by being in the same area and dropping a summon sign. Once a boss is killed your co op buddies are teleported back to their world.

Haunted

They're games that require patience and reward preparation and being careful over reflexes and experimentation. Memorisation is also a big part of the experience.

edit: that holds true when it works, not talking about system breaking bs like some bosses or archers on ledges or shit encounter design like that. Although there's (luckily) fewer of those in Dark Souls than Demon's Souls.

Durante

edit: that holds true when it works, not talking about system breaking bs like some bosses or archers on ledges or shit encounter design like that. Although there's (luckily) fewer of those in Dark Souls than Demon's Souls.
Why did someone tell me the exact opposite a few days ago? I want to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom