• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Hah, I thought all the possible OT candidates cancelled their preorders and didn't want anything to do with this port. Good to see the OT though.

I'm in day 1. Or whenever GMG sends out those keys.

Grief.exe

They said, best case scenario, GMG would send out their keys tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Steam currently says that it unlocks in 18 hours. My theory is that it will unlock early, giving us a chance to preload, and then GFWL unlocks our ability to play the game at midnight.

antitrop

They said, best case scenario, GMG would send out their keys tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Steam currently says that it unlocks in 18 hours. My theory is that it will unlock early, giving us a chance to preload, and then GFWL unlocks our ability to play the game at midnight.
Oh, fuck. I didn't even think about it. I figured you would be able to play as soon as Steam unlocks. I hope you're wrong.

Ledsen

I feel really dumb, but people know about creating GFWL offline profiles right? I personally didn't know about it till recently... Anyway you'll never lose another save again, and the whole GWFL experience is much less shitty.

I use my Xbox Gamertag so to me that's not really an option.

lexi

Banned
I use my Xbox Gamertag so to me that's not really an option.

I used to use that until it became 'corrupted' and now can't be used for GFWL or Xbox Live. Microsoft are awesome.

The bar is now so low for PC ports that I consider Sleeping Dogs the most phenomenal port of this generation, but still has wonky UI controls and is best experienced with a controller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And I think some Gaffers said that unlocking the framerate in LA Noire messed up certain parts of the game.

War for Cybertron got a framerate unlocker and it came out the other end unscathed, but there's no guarantee that getting one up and running for Dark Souls won't break something.

well slowing the framerate down in blighttown didn't mess up the animation or anything, so who knows?

any info specifically on the DLC side of things? is there a separate topic for the PS3/360 DLC?

Eusis

UI aside, just unlocking the resolution will 100% make the game look better?

Only reason why I thought this wasn't the case was.. the fact they didn't do it. But oh well, good news.

Now I'm even more confused what the hell they were thinking.
It IS possible a few seams that weren't evident will shown or look worse than before, and obviously it'll look "bad" compared the high end games that seriously push PCs like Crysis 2, Witcher 2, or Max Payne 3, but on average it's a net gain for 3D games of sufficient detail (as in PS2 level detail) to have a higher resolution. Plus there's the fact we're all on LCDs now, if we were on CRTs it'd matter WAY less because scaling and native resolutions aren't a problem.

Zzoram

It's only a 3.7gb download. The extra space is just the standard space steam requires to download/install games.

Thank goodness. I'm not quite at the end of my month and I only have about 6 or 7 GB left before I hit my cap.

Jawmuncher

I'm pretty glad the PC version is coming out.
Since i'm going to be finishing it up (for the first time) on PS3 soon.
I had gotten to Blight Town and then just kind of stopped playing, not because I was frusterated or anything though. Now I can continue my adventure with a bunch of other gamers doing the same thing!

KAOz

Short bus special
Not going to lie. I am jealous of you PC folk. Even if the port doesn't meet the standards, I'd still love to play it again for the first time. And especially with fully new areas.

I envy you guys.

Hope you all enjoy it at least, bad port-job aside.

Zzoram

Not going to lie. I am jealous of you PC folk. Even if the port doesn't meet the standards, I'd still love to play it again for the first time. And especially with fully new areas.

I envy you guys.

Many of us PC folk are just playing it again for the new content and better framerate.

Haunted

I envy you guys.

I've already played through the PS3 version and was hoping for the PC version to fix the most egregious (technical) problems.

Will play for the new content when modders have fixed the game.

Eusis

Fair point. Didn't think about all the double-dippers. :p
Double dippers are probably the biggest group that were disappointed/angry over 30 FPS and 1024x720 frame buffer. I THINK more PC-only people were happy to just get the game and hopefully not completely fucked.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Fair point. Didn't think about all the double-dippers. :p

beat the 360 version twice for both endings im getting this with a friend and were going to do the new content been wanting to go back to dark souls for a while just been waiting for the pc release

Vagabundo

While the resolution thing doesn't bother me too much the GfW does. Can I play the game without installing or using it? Will it affect my experience; I don't usually care for multiplayer in these types of games.

I haven't played demon or dark before.

pa22word

Thread title should be changed to:

"Dark Souls: PTDE |OT| Page best viewed at 1024x720 Resolution on a 30hrz monitor"

For ultimate accuracy, of course.

All jokes aside, I'm really torn here. On one hand I have a close friend who raves about the game constantly so I'm very interested, but on the other I don't want to send the message that sub par efforts are acceptable...I mean FFS given all the reports about the constant FPS drops and the game booting you to the main menu if you hit the FPS floor I don't even know if I'll be able to complete the game much less enjoy it in any way, shape, or form. I'll probably just wait and buy the PS3 version with the DLC around christmas as this port is looking like a poster child of "How to Ruin a Classic: Subpar Efforts for Maximum Profitability at the Expense of Quality, with special forward by Yosuke Hayashi"

Off topic and all but slightly related: seeing this outsell Sleeping Dogs on Steam bothers me given how much effort United Front put into the game's PC version compared to Namco not even giving the slightest of fucks.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Double dippers are probably the biggest group that were disappointed/angry over 30 FPS and 1024x720 frame buffer. I THINK more PC-only people were happy to just get the game and hopefully not completely fucked.
I see it as an excuse to play one of my favourite games all over again - and not to mention lay claim to the PTD edition box for the PC version.

Kiyo

While the resolution thing doesn't bother me too much the GfW does. Can I play the game without installing or using it? Will it affect my experience; I don't usually care for multiplayer in these types of games.

I haven't played demon or dark before.
It requires GFWL. Just enter your key at the beginning though and attach it to your account and you'll never have to deal with it again.

Sorry if it has been asked before but is there a predownload for this on steam?
No, not yet at least.

Silex

So... how much Steamworks is this game? If I'll buy a retail copy, will it activate on steam? Or are only DD copies steam compatible?

Kiyo

Thread title should be changed to:

"Dark Souls: PTDE |OT| Page best viewed at 1024x720 Resolution on a 30hrz monitor"

For ultimate accuracy, of course.

All jokes aside, I'm really torn here. On one hand I have a close friend who raves about the game constantly so I'm very interested, but on the other I don't want to send the message that sub par efforts are acceptable...I mean FFS given all the reports about the constant FPS drops and the game booting you to the main menu if you hit the FPS floor I don't even know if I'll be able to complete the game much less enjoy it in any way, shape, or form. I'll probably just wait and buy the PS3 version with the DLC around christmas as this port is looking like a poster child of "How to Ruin a Classic: Subpar Efforts for Maximum Profitability at the Expense of Quality, with special forward by Yosuke Hayashi"

Off topic and all but slightly related: seeing this outsell Sleeping Dogs on Steam bothers me given how much effort United Front put into the game's PC version compared to Namco not even giving the slightest of fucks.

Do you really think your one sale is going to "send the message that sub par efforts are acceptable"? :p. The game is already selling pretty well as people can see by it's Steam ranking. That doesn't even include all the preorders at GMG and other places.

Also where have you been reading "all the reports about the constant FPS drops"? I've read 1 article that had a few FPS problems and 3 that said it ran better than consoles.

It shouldn't bother you that a game that received a ton of great reviews, 9-10/10 and GOTY nominations is outselling a new franchise that got decent, but not great reviews. People who actually care about the FPS/Frame Buffer resolution are a vocal minority, and it was never going to hurt the sales significantly. The majority of people just want to play the game for the game. With enough sales, maybe this turns out like Borderlands, where the devs took notice and put a lot more effort into the PC sequel.

So... how much Steamworks is this game? If I'll buy a retail copy, will it activate on steam? Or are only DD copies steam compatible?
It is not Steamworks at all AFAIK. If it is bought at retail, it will use GFWL and Steam won't get a look in. If bought on GMG or somewhere similar, it will activate on Steam but that's about it.

Hypron

It is not Steamworks at all AFAIK. If it is bought at retail, it will use GFWL and Steam won't get a look in. If bought on GMG or somewhere similar, it will activate on Steam but that's about it.

Pretty much this.

I don't really like the sound of using 2 DRMs at the same time though, I hope nothing screws up...

Rapstah

Pretty much this.

I don't really like the sound of using 2 DRMs at the same time though, I hope nothing screws up...

Steam and GFWL can conflict really badly, but that's mostly surrounding patches. I don't think this game is getting patched for a while if at all.

hello,
i just read an interview that might help some people choose:
blog.esuteru.com/archives/6553732.html

Q)DARK SOULS with ARTORIAS OF THE ABYSS EDITION(Games for Windows LIVE版)で、画面サイズをフルスクリーン表示やウィンドウ表示に変更できますか?
(Can you change the display resolution to full screen or window screen size?)

A)はい、可能です。オプション設定から、画面のサイズを変更できます。変更できるサイズは以下の通りです。
(Yes, you can. In the configuration options, you can change the size of the screen. Size can be changed as follows.)
  フルスクリーン表示 (fullscreen)
   1920×1080 32bit/16bit、 1680×1050 32bit/16bit、 1400×1050 32bit/16bit、
   1600×900 32bit/16bit、 1280×1024 32bit/16bit、 1440×900 32bit/16bit、
   1366×768 32bit/16bit、 1360×768 32bit/16bit、 1280×800 32bit/16bit、
   1280×768 32bit/16bit、 1280×720 32bit/16bit、 1024×768 32bit/16bit、 800×600 32bit/16bit
  ウィンドウ表示 (window)
   1920×1080、 1680×945、 1600×900、 1440×810、
   1280×720、 1152×648、 1024×576、 800×450
I wonder if it actually renders at 800x600 if you select that res or if they downscale lol.

dani_dc

Also where have you been reading "all the reports about the constant FPS drops"? I've read 1 article that had a few FPS problems and 3 that said it ran better than consoles.

"Better than consoles" and "constant FPS drops" are not mutually exclusive concepts in this case I'm afraid. I'd definitively recommend waiting for more reports for anyone on the fence

pa22word

Do you really think your one sale is going to "send the message that sub par efforts are acceptable"?

No, but at the same time I'm not so ignorant to think that this doing better than a game that actually did put some kind of effort into their product doesn't dissuade them from caring enough to do so again.

Also where have you been reading "all the reports about the constant FPS drops"?

There's plenty of them in the other topic.

It shouldn't bother you that a game that received a ton of great reviews, 9-10/10 and GOTY nominations is outselling a new franchise that got decent, but not great reviews.

Because that's totally what I said, right?

People who actually care about the FPS/Frame Buffer resolution are a vocal minority, and it was never going to hurt the sales significantly. The majority of people just want to play the game for the game.

That's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't change the fact of the matter that this is a really bad port.

With enough sales, maybe this turns out like Borderlands, where the devs took notice and put a lot more effort into the PC sequel.

I'd rather deal in reality than some hopeful future where namco *might* give a fuck next time around. As it stands, this is hands down one of the (if not the) worst console to PC ports I've seen in recent memory.

The only worse one I can think might be arguably worse than this was Saint's Row 2, but even then as bad as that port was (and believe me, it was BAD) the game didn't boot you back to the main menu because they failed to do a good enough job optimizing the product and you hit an FPS floor.

Sentenza

The only worse one I can think might be arguably worse than this was Saint's Row 2, but even then as bad as that port was (and believe me, it was BAD) the game didn't boot you back to the main menu because they failed to do a good enough job optimizing the product and you hit an FPS floor.
It also had an option to change resolution.
No, really, I think that when it comes to shittiness of a port, Dark Souls sounds pretty much as an unprecedented achievement.

Bedlam

As it stands, this is hands down one of the (if not the) worst console to PC ports I've seen in recent memory.

RE4 PC (before it was patched and modded) was way worse than this. Without any lighting etc. it looked considerably worse than the GC version and the PS2 version even. The DS port is at least on par with the console version it seems, if not slightly better.

Sentenza

RE4 PC (before it was patched and modded) was way worse than this. Without any lighting etc. it looked considerably worse than the GC version and the PS2 version even. The DS port is at least on par with the console version it seems, if not slightly better.
Stiil, RE4 had an option to change resolution (deja vu).

lexi

Banned

I've tried to mod RE4 but it's still a pile of unplayable shit. Shame, I would really love a definitive PC version as it's probably one of my favourite games of all time.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Not that it's ok but that was 2007. This is 2012. It's not acceptable IMO. Also iirc you were trolling hardcore in the 'confirmed sub hd' thread as to how pc gamers should be grateful about a terrible port.

If it can be modded will purchase when it's $1-5 on a sale in the future. Personally wont support this money grab, it's like being spat on by a car sales person and them being baffled as to why they couldn't close the sale. Something like that anyway..... I'm done

Unai

For one second, I thought you were talking about a Nintendo DS version of Resident Evil 4 LOL.

Eusis

Stiil, RE4 had an option to change resolution (deja vu).
There's other metrics I'd consider far, far more important to the quality of a port than just resolution, especially when said resolution is at least on par with consoles. It's profoundly dumb, but I'll take a locked frame buffer resolution over the shitfest that was Saints Row 2 out of the box (or even up to the latest official patch!), missing graphical options the PC could clearly dominate in like RE4 above showed, or just anything that runs profoundly unstable compared to console versions. This will probably go down as the most disappointing port, easily, but that's due to a combination of recognizing it'd be a good fit for PC, the fact the game's visuals could clearly benefit from a good, properly optimized PC port, and the simple fact the game is amazing.

But I'm taking a wait and see approach. If you ask me this will become the worst PC port if a litany of bugs and issues come pouring out once people actually get their hands on the game.

Forkball

Is this game scary at all? Is it more akin to caves of zombies in Skyrim or crimson heads standing up outta nowhere in REmake?

Top Bottom