• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 cost $50 million to make

kswiston

If that includes marketing, I can believe it. I would actually guess that $50M is pretty typical for a tentpole game release. Even $10-15 indie games are often well in excess of $1M to develop and market.

Erv

Can you unlock other characters to play as in this game? I much preferred the character from the first game.

vvise

I only got around to playing it this year but the game was significantly larger and more polished than I anticipated. The combat was incredible, the soundtrack was fantastic, all of the bosses were unique and fun to fight. The depth of the game felt almost too deep for the genre. It felt like an expensive game to make to me.

It did feel like the last world or two were rushed by comparison in scale to the first two, like they were in a hurry to ship it.

Trojan X

Banned
No, please don't.

Also even though i liked the game immensly, that is an absurd ammount.

How much did VO, and hiring Jesper Kyd for the soundtrack cost?

Why not? You don't like Platinum Game? Haven't they proven themselves enough to be an incredible games developer?

ugoo18

I only got around to playing it this year but the game was significantly larger and more polished than I anticipated. The combat was incredible, the soundtrack was fantastic, all of the bosses were unique and fun to fight. The depth of the game felt almost too deep for the genre. It felt like an expensive game to make to me.

It did feel like the last world or two were rushed by comparison in scale to the first two, like they were in a hurry to ship it.

What does this even mean?

Why not? You don't like Platinum Game? Haven't they proven themselves enough to be an incredible games developer?

I do like Platinum games a lot. Bayonetta is my favorite spectacle fighter. I even like it more than DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden. I've also enjoyed MGR:R and Vanquish but there's a certain charm that Vigil managed to put in the Darksiders games that, in my opinion, will be very hard for any other developer to replicate.

The Darksiders games for me managed to capture that classic feel that i get from games like Zelda, Castlevania, etc. It felt like the kind of game that i would give to a 5 year old and a 50 year old version of me and watch them both have a blast.

Also, i really dislike the give it to "FROM" or give it to "Platinum" trend that's been going on. Some devs manage to put their own flavor and style in their games and i'd rather them continue on that path than watch a reimagined version; even if that reimagined version is from a developer that i appreciate.

leng jai

I'm not all the surprised, but yes they could have managed their money more efficiently. I'm more offended by Destiny's budget to content ratio frankly.

$50 million dollars! Man you think you're making a game about Chelsea Clinton?

rushhour_18.jpg

Haha.

Personally I always keep Darksiders 2 installed for the arena where you fight the waves of baddies. Love the combat.

Story was sort of interesting but wasn't the continuation I wanted after Darksiders 1, sadly.

I too hope we see a third game in the series.

tragic

Developer
he posted recently, I think he hinted he was basically doing grunt work to pay the bills.

He could of be talking about just his ex-coworkers, but its telling he didn't talk about where he ended up.

No grunt work here! I've settled into a new place that may surprise a few people, but I can assure you that some awesome things are on the horizon! I'm now at 5th Cell with Haydn Dalton (Lead Designer of DS1 and DS2).

GET READY!

Still the best Combat system in a western AAA title.

Would love to see what tragic could cook up on a indie budget though

Hey, thanks for the compliments! It was a labor of love and done in an abbreviated amount of time. A lot of people put a lot of effort into it and I think it showed.There were so many other things that I personally wanted to get into the Darksiders 2 combat system that had to be pushed aside (I was counting on DS3 for those additions!). As a diehard fan of Devil May Cry 3 and Bayo, I'm sure you can imagine where my head was at!

As for an indie budget/title, I've been tossing a few things around and would love to start putting something together. I think something like that may be in the cards... it's just going to take some time to get settled and to get a couple people together that want to blow some minds! (Or at least try!)

- trag

Parsnip

I'm now at 5th Cell with Haydn Dalton (Lead Designer of DS1 and DS2).

So the next Scribblenauts game will have excellent combat, woot. :p

Actually 5th Cell hasn't put out anything since Unmasked just over a year ago, hmm. What are you guys cooking up there, hmm hmm.

Top Bottom