• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| aaaAAAaaa!!! Real monsters!

Day one!!

So Gaf, Savior or Night Warriors?

On a casual level, my brother and I totally prefer jumping in Night Warriors over Savior. The speed is easier to manage and I'm definitely more a fan of that game's stage selection (Victor, Bishamon, and Anakaris stages in Hunter are waayyy better than the majority of what's exclusively available in Savior).
Don't have to deal with convoluted pushblock mechanics either. /scrubquote

It's unfortunate that the game apparently has a problem with infinites when dealing with higher level play though. Oh well, I'll Savior it up when it's serious time, can't ignore BB Hood either.

Kajiba

This series has some of the best art and illustrations.

It really does. The Graphic file for this fighter had some really good art even though it was not really an artbook

LLumcZ0.jpg

Really awesome thing to have if you are a fan of the games.

Azure J

Lovely thread. I'll be grabbing this to dabble with on 360. Although, I'm kinda guessing that this game will have a more active scene on PS3...

LTWheels

For some reason, being unfamiliar with the complete lore of Darkstalkers, I thought Demitri was a villain.

Same. I only found out a couple of days ago that he is suppose to be the protagonist. I always assumed that Morrigan was the main character.

As someone who knows nothing about the series, which characters are the basic/beginner ones? Is Demitri the game's 'Ryu'?

Skilletor

Same. I only found out a couple of days ago that he is suppose to be the protagonist. I always assumed that Morrigan was the main character.

As someone who knows nothing about the series, which characters are the basic/beginner ones? Is Demitri the game's 'Ryu'?

Morrigan and dimitri would be the most shoto-esque characters.

Demitri by far, but you can go a looooong way with Wolf.

Seriously digging the OP title, even if I never watched the show too much. Speaking of watching things, I might as well rewatch the Vampire Hunter OVA.

Oh well, can't wait to show the world how scrubtastic I am at this game on tuesday

I'll keep an eye out on this, one of my favorite fighting series. Night Warriors was a favorite on Saturn, and I still have Darkstalkers 3 (PS1) and Darkstalkers Chronicle (UMD/PSP). May just slap the latter in and see where I left things. Maybe I'll use that 3-mo XBL Gold card I've been sitting on if I pick this up.

Tizoc

Seriously digging the OP title, even if I never watched the show too much. Speaking of watching things, I might as well rewatch the Vampire Hunter OVA.

Oh well, can't wait to show the world how scrubtastic I am at this game on tuesday

Ugh the OVA was good in the first two eps., but then it goes downhill...

Forgot this was coming out...

I've played way too much DS3 back in the day where I've gotten burnt out, but I do love Galaxy's grinding up point unlock system... plus it'll be fun to play this online finally.

Ugh the OVA was good in the first two eps., but then it goes downhill...

I think I only saw the first 2 or 3 episodes back when it came out... maybe I saved myself some pain.

alstein

Day one!!

So Gaf, Savior or Night Warriors?

On a casual level, my brother and I totally prefer jumping in Night Warriors over Savior. The speed is easier to manage and I'm definitely more a fan of that game's stage selection (Victor, Bishamon, and Anakaris stages in Hunter are waayyy better than the majority of what's exclusively available in Savior).
Don't have to deal with convoluted pushblock mechanics either. /scrubquote

It's unfortunate that the game apparently has a problem with infinites when dealing with higher level play though. Oh well, I'll Savior it up when it's serious time, can't ignore BB Hood either.

I think the 2nd game is better than the 3rd as well.

On the fence for this game, remember not liking it much in the arcades years ago.

It was an issue of space, as they couldn't fit them all in the arcade version and sacrifices had to be made. Don't know why they didn't bring them back here like in Darkstalkers Chronicles.

ah...that sucks but whatever...I'm buying this regardless.

I try to support most of the fighting games as I can..even tho I am pretty bad at most of them lol.

I don't quite get what you mean with your question; do you mean back when the game was in development?

He's talking about Donovan, Huitzil (the robot thing, whatever his name is), and Pyron not being present in Savior.

And yeah, as mentioned, it was due to space limitations on the arcade board.

NEO0MJ

He's talking about Donovan, Huitzil (the robot thing, whatever his name is), and Pyron not being present in Savior.

And yeah, as mentioned, it was due to space limitations on the arcade board.

I miss it. I would have so mained it. Was so glad when it appeared in DSC, even if I could only play it for fun.

Ugh, I wish next week wasn't busy as fucking hell, I want to play this really badly D:

Hope we can organize a GAF Vampire scrub group or something.

Definitely going to pick this up. Might even import the JP release since I like having physical copies of games.

Been trying to reacquaint myself with the game using the Saturn version recently. I should really look into getting a USB adapter so I can use my Saturn pad on PS3.

Nice OP!

Favorite bit of Darkstalkers trivia: Q-Bee's eyes? They're decoys. Her real eyes are those buds on the top of her head.

Q_Bee_by_WarnerC.png

Beckx

It was an issue of space, as they couldn't fit them all in the arcade version and sacrifices had to be made. Don't know why they didn't bring them back here like in Darkstalkers Chronicles.

Hell, they're even in the PS1 Darkstalkers 3. But, what I surmise from the recent Japanese staff interview is that they wanted arcade perfect replicas of NW:DR and DS3, so there you go.

NEO0MJ

Hell, they're even in the PS1 Darkstalkers 3. But, what I surmise from the recent Japanese staff interview is that they wanted arcade perfect replicas of NW:DR and DS3, so there you go.

But you couldn't pick Gill in the arcade version of SF III...
At least let us pick them up for fun =(

kirblar

I think the 2nd game is better than the 3rd as well.

On the fence for this game, remember not liking it much in the arcades years ago.
I suspect that they 're looking to use "are people playing DS2 or DS3?" data to assist with DS4 development.

For the first day. Then they'll be replaced by a wave of Talbains, Demitris and Sasquatches.

Demitri is FARRR more annoying than Morrigan. Better normals (dat sweep), safer DP, more solid runaway options. He laughs in the face of corner pressure. His drill kick is unsafe on hit in some situations right? I feel like learning what punishes that now is going to help me a ton in that first week online.

I don't think we'll see that many Sasquatches early on though, Ive always felt like he takes a fair amount of effort compared to Talbain or Demitri to really be effective with.

I suspect that they 're looking to use "are people playing DS2 or DS3?" data to assist with DS4 development.

I'm skeptical if that'll be reliable though. How many people are gonna be playing Savior just because it's the more recent version vs. Hunter? Hmm

Nice OP!

Favorite bit of Darkstalkers trivia: Q-Bee's eyes? They're decoys. Her real eyes are those buds on the top of her head.

Nightmare fodder.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
oh damn. no idea this was coming out. i just copped Jojo's too as it was on sale. definitely getting this--my 360 is becoming classic Capcom fight central.

alstein

Which will be biased if they do, since everyone will give 3 the first shot, and that will become standard. 2 will likely wither away instantly. If the games were equally regarded in the US, it would be useful- like say a KOF98UM or KOF2k2UM or SFA2 vs SFA3.

3 was the only DS game that got any play in the US really, DS2 was a Saturn exclusive, that's how rare it was. (and was half the reason I bought a Saturn - the other being the ability to import SNK games with a simple cart)

HyperHip

Will be getting this for both systems, now I can finally bury my ps2 darkstalkers game. Will mostly be playing Hunter over Savior, gonna go to town with Demitri. >=D

Top Bottom