• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| aaaAAAaaa!!! Real monsters!

kirblar

Which will be biased if they do, since everyone will give 3 the first shot, and that will become standard. 2 will likely wither away instantly. If the games were equally regarded in the US, it would be useful- like say a KOF98UM or KOF2k2UM or SFA2 vs SFA3.

3 was the only DS game that got any play in the US really, DS2 was a Saturn exclusive, that's how rare it was. (and was half the reason I bought a Saturn - the other being the ability to import SNK games with a simple cart)
I suspect most people picking this game up will have never played Darkstalkers before, or had minimal experience with it. Part of the reason the FG genre had a dark age was because arcade cabinets were far more powerful than consoles at the time, and Saturn ownership was not really widespread.

Can we all agree that DS3 has one of the best character select themes in a fighter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8TidTmvP0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-ShKf6WiE

D.O.A.
Ugh, I wish next week wasn't busy as fucking hell, I want to play this really badly D:

Hope we can organize a GAF Vampire scrub group or something.
I'm pretty sure that is all of GAF.
I suspect that they 're looking to use "are people playing DS2 or DS3?" data to assist with DS4 development.
I'd be amazed if this is something they need to research lmao.
Demitri is FARRR more annoying than Morrigan. Better normals (dat sweep), safer DP, more solid runaway options. He laughs in the face of corner pressure. His drill kick is unsafe on hit in some situations right? I feel like learning what punishes that now is going to help me a ton in that first week online.
I already know this. I hate the dumb bastard.
I don't think we'll see that many Sasquatches early on though, Ive always felt like he takes a fair amount of effort compared to Talbain or Demitri to really be effective with.
Not really. Learn the AAs, specials and go to town on anyone mid level or below. He is not Talbain, but he is a far cry from Zabel, Lei Lei or Jedah.
Nice subtitle, informative OP

...Wait, it comes out this week?
This is how OPs usually work. They've got to be at least seven days before the launch date.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Still a bit confused. Can you unlock Pyron, Donovan and Huitzil to play in this version of DS3?

Not that we know of. This version of Savior is supposed to be "arcade perfect", meaning the characters that weren't in the arcade release of Savior aren't available to select.

Tizoc

I've known about Q-Bee's eyes for a long time now...still doesn't make any 'fanart' featuring her less faptastic...if you're into that sort of thing
I personally prefer Mosquito Girl from One Punch Man~

Nice subtitle, informative OP

...Wait, it comes out this week?

Ayup~

Still a bit confused. Can you unlock Pyron, Donovan and Huitzil to play in this version of DS3?
As of now? No.

No Marionette or Dee either.

Not that we know of. This version of Savior is supposed to be "arcade perfect", meaning the characters that weren't in the arcade release of Savior aren't available to select.
Except for Oboro Bishamon, who wasn't playable in the arcade version of Savior but is in this version. (Shadow is also available, be he was in the original arcade version if I remember correctly.)

Azure J

Nice OP!

Favorite bit of Darkstalkers trivia: Q-Bee's eyes? They're decoys. Her real eyes are those buds on the top of her head.[/IMG]

The amount of subtle nuances that go into the animations and characters of Darkstalkers is unrivaled. Case in point, borrowing from this relevation, did you all notice how Q-Bee never really faces her opponent/keeps what appears to be her human eyes on opponents in her idle and walking animations? Pay attention to the eyes at the top of her head next time.

Exr

Excellent OP, very informative. I have two of the VS games on Saturn but never fully understood all the game mechanics. I'm looking forward to this but if the player pool dries up quick it's going to be a big deterrent for me.

The amount of subtle nuances that go into the animations and characters of Darkstalkers is unrivaled. Case in point, borrowing from this relevation, did you all notice how Q-Bee never really faces her opponent/keeps what appears to be her human eyes on opponents in her idle and walking animations? Pay attention to the eyes at the top of her head next time.
As someone who has played Darkstalkers to death I can wholeheartedly say Skullgirls matches it and will exceed it as time passes on. Good catch on the Q-Bee bit, though. Not many people notice that her head is slightly tilted down. You can clearly see that her real eyes are focusing very much on her opponent. Takes a real good eye to catch that, man. :p

Except for Oboro Bishamon, who wasn't playable in the arcade version of Savior but is in this version. (Shadow is also available, be he was in the original arcade version if I remember correctly.)

Yeah, but like Gill in 3S, he already had all of his data in the game. To have him playable in an arcade perfect port, they'd only have to enable him to be used by the player, but the other extra characters would have to actually be added.

It's a shame we can't have those characters, but it's understandable why they wouldn't be in if this is meant to simply be a "quick" port.

Yeah, but like Gill in 3S, he already had all of his data in the game. To have him playable in an arcade perfect port, they'd only have to enable him to be used by the player, but the other extra characters would have to actually be added.

It's a shame we can't have those characters, but it's understandable why they wouldn't be in if this is meant to simply be a "quick" port.
The problem with Oboro Bishamon isn't the fact that his data is there, it's the fact that people will be able to use him. This nullifies any claims of the game being true to the arcade experience.

I understand that the arrange characters don't fit neatly into Savior, but including a separate Arranged mode with it's own online lobby would accomplish the same thing. That way everyone would have exactly what they want.

As it is now, this version only appeals to purists, and even they might not be satisfied depending on how Oboro Bishamon is handled.

The problem with Oboro Bishamon isn't the fact that his data is there, it's the fact that people will be able to use him. This nullifies any claims of the game being true to the arcade experience.

I understand that the arrange characters don't fit neatly into Savior, but including a separate Arranged mode with it's own online lobby would accomplish the same thing. That way everyone would have exactly what they want.

As it is now, this version only appeals to purists, and even they might not be satisfied depending on how Oboro Bishamon is handled.

If I'm not mistaken, in MvC: Origins, you can't use Doom/Thanos/Anita online in Marvel Super Heroes. Granted they were originally playable, but I could see them possibly doing a similar tactic with Oboro, offline only.

Well, it's from the same team that did the 3S port, right? IIRC in there Gill is banned in ranked mode and you could manually choose who to ban in player mode anyways.

Magnus

Never really got into these games, but damn if those aren't some fucking awesome character designs.

Why isn't the first Game included in this compilation?

Mendoza

This game ranks in the upper echelons of Japanese video game character design. I love all of these characters.
The complexity and exaggerated animations in the sprites makes this game a joy to watch in motion.

Tizoc

The sequel is pretty much the same with improvements across the board.

The only major difference is that you only had 1 bar of meter in the first game.
When it is full, it will start depleting. During the period you have the meter depleting, you can use it to perform and EX or Super move.

The smart one. You haven't been frothing at the mouth for this since its announcement or mad at the month long delay. :(

I did the former, never cared for the latter, but to me it was a stroke of luck as purchasing this compilation will go towards getting my 3rd $10 in April >=3
It's also releasing on my birthday XP

EYEL1NER

Damn, I am so fucking hype for this game. It will be really hard to resist waiting a couple days for a cheap code for the game to pop up on CAG or somewhere. I'm more than likely buying it Day One for full-price though; a hypothetical/potential DS4 is riding on it.
I should hate myself for getting my hopes up like that though.

Hope this OT is more popular than the MvC Origins OT. This will be the first Gaming Side OT I've subbed to in a while. Good job Tizoc.
Now hurry up and fucking get here, Wednesday!!!

Horseress

Hope this OT is more popular than the MvC Origins OT. This will be the first Gaming Side OT I've subbed to in a while. Good job Tizoc.
Now hurry up and fucking get here, Wednesday!!!

I think people miss Darkstalkers more than MvC, simply because MvC has newer versions, and DS hasn't

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So this is based on Savior 1 and not Savior 2?

Would have been nice to have all the cast. A conversion from the Saturn, DC Vampire Chronicle, or PS2 Collection would have been much better. Oh well.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wondering if I should cop this. None of my friends are picking it up though, so I'm not sure how long I'll really play, which is holding me back here. Would just be a waste if I shelve this after a few days.

But damn, it'd really be nice to throw down with Hsien-Ko again. :(

Skilletor

So who does everybody use?

I've always used Talbain, but I've never really learned how to play this game.

I'm going to learn Q. Bee and maybe Bishamon.

Also, Skillzilla81 on XBL and PSN. Add me, but tell me you're from GAF or I'll ignore you. :p

NEO0MJ

I used to play with BB Hood and Jedah, was pretty decent with them, too. Now though I've forgotten everything And it's gonna take me time to get back my stride.
I don't know who I'll play extra, maybe Bish or Q-bee?

kunonabi

Also, Skillzilla81 on XBL and PSN. Add me, but tell me you're from GAF or I'll ignore you. :p

aulbath is my main but i also play q-bee and victor. i also play some demitri and bishamon occasionally. i'd be a donovan player had he made it into vs though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Donovan would be super pimp in a versus game. Dunno why he keeps getting the shaft.

MVC3 team claimed ram limitations screwed with Midnight Bliss transformations and they wouldn't want Donovan without it.

Maybe The Power of PS4 (tm) will get Donovan in MvC4.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

Aulbath is my main in both games, Demitri and Sasquatch are my subs.

Skilletor

Aulbath is my main in both games, Demitri and Sasquatch are my subs.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've always loved it, but never put time into learning it. It's almost like a brand new fighter to me. :D

MVC3 team claimed ram limitations screwed with Midnight Bliss transformations and they wouldn't want Donovan without it.

Maybe The Power of PS4 (tm) will get Donovan in MvC4.

You mean...8GB GDDR5 RAM?

Top Bottom