• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dathomir Witches > Jedi or Sith

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
We've seen in canon that Dathomir Witches can teleport, animate the dead, cloak ships, hold people into place and even entomb them, create vortexes that can be used to make people fly, and a plethora of other abilities.

They have so many unique and different abilities that they just seem to be more powerful than Jedi or Sith with maybe the exception of the death grip.

Who needs Jedi or Sith when you have those witches?

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Are any of these witches canon or are they just ancillary characters.
100% Canon. All the abilities I just mentioned are part of Merrin"s abilities in JFO and Survivor.

Merrin is a major character in both games and both games are canon.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yeah but Jedi and Sith have tons of abilities as well. They are masters of actually using the force in combat, being highly skilled with the Lightsaber, TK, Precog, and Force Lightning (Sith) will triumph all of those abilities in straight up combat.

Methos#1975

Maybe but the powers the witches have could really fuck with a Jedi, they create a portal, knock a jedi into it and then sending them falling a half mile into their death.

daveonezero

Banned
100% Canon. All the abilities I just mentioned are part of Merrin"s abilities in JFO and Survivor.

Merrin is a major character in both games and both games are canon.
Wait you only know them from the games?

They were cannon from the Clone Wars and Rebels.

And they were wiped out and you can see that happen.

If they were so strong they wouldn’t kidnap the men and turn them into super soldiers 1 at a time.

And if they were smart they would have done it to all the males.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They're both lame.

Powers and abilities in Star Wars have gotten absurd. Jedi went from being just space knights/monks into literal Gods. The Dathomir witches just perpetuate the power level creep of this franchise into anime territory.

In the purged cannon they were throwing black holes at each other and shit.

I'm sure we'll get back there in more time lol.

Darkmakaimura

Wait you only know them from the games?

They were cannon from the Clone Wars and Rebels.

And they were wiped out and you can see that happen.

If they were so strong they wouldn’t kidnap the men and turn them into super soldiers 1 at a time.

And if they were smart they would have done it to all the males.
Technology and weapons is what ultimately defeated the witches. If it was just a combat of magic between Jedi/Sith and the witches, the Witches have a great deal more advantage with the amount of different abilities they have. They even entrapped Count Dooku's soul or something like that.

Witches in Star Wars seems pretty dumb, I prefer Space Wizards only.
They aren't anything new. The Witches go back to the old expanded universe. I remember them being mentioned in the old encyclopedia that I had in the late 90s before even the prequels came along.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

In the purged cannon they were throwing black holes at each other and shit.

I'm sure we'll get back there in more time lol.
Merrin has a lot of different abilities so I wouldn't doubt it.

In the new game she has the ability to summon it up rings that allow her to fly and even other people to fly. Almost like a black hole that pushes people through.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Yeah but Jedi and Sith have tons of abilities as well. They are masters of actually using the force in combat, being highly skilled with the Lightsaber, TK, Precog, and Force Lightning (Sith) will triumph all of those abilities in straight up combat.
But the witches have even more variety and more interesting spells. They can teleport, they can fly, they can summon up the dead, cloak ships, they can hold a person into place and even entomb the person in solid rock.

Maybe the Emperor has more powers that we've never seen. I think he has rituals that allowed him to do certain feats but still nothing as cool as what the witches do.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Jedi and sith are the most confident characters in Star Wars I’d consider witches and bounty hunters second tiers.
Personally, I'd rather have the different powers that the witches have. They are still using the Force so that proves you can use the Force for all sorts of crazy feats like teleportation. Actually, I think they have pretty much into the dark side but since their beliefs are different, they don't become Sith. They would fall more into being Forcs-sensitive.

I definitely like to see some alien races with really weird powers. The old expanded universe used to have some.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Head honcho Dathomir Witch Mother Talzin used some voodoo type magic to ensare Count Dooku while on the bridge of his ship. Grievous needed to hunt her down quickly to prevent Dooku's death.

Previously the only explanation of "magic" in Star Wars was through the Force, and I surmised these "witches" HAD TO BE using it somehow to power their magic in this universe -especially when I realized she's where Maul came from. But the way they did it was very inspired by real-life-voodoo ideas -her "spell" was only possible because she had a lock of his hair. She does a lot of crystal ball and magic cauldron type stuff making her a "witch". If it is Force-based, why are Jedi and Sith so removed from any of their abilities? Why are the paths mutually exclusive? The explanation is that they're just another flavor of the week in a show where having more ideas to pad dozens of episodes is more important than in-universe tone and continuity.

Basically the idea of witches is cooler than the idea of having some idea of what the force is or isn't. It just does whatever you need it to do now without much thought behind it. The Force was the explanation for magic, now if you take it and add other magic/spells (without their own explanation), it does something else...or something.

Soltype

I'm only familiar with the witches from the old books, but they were fine there. I'm sure they did too much in the later stuff and ruined the vibe.I don't think people know how decent star wars used to be.

Elysion

Banned
I never liked the Nightsisters and their abilities. They always felt more like something out of Marvel instead of Star Wars. Supernatural abilities in Star Wars should‘ve never gone beyond basic telekinesis, mind tricks, and clairvoyance. And to be fair, this isn’t something that we can blame Disney for; even Lucas himself was unable or unwilling to put a stop to this kind of power creep while he was still in charge.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I never liked the Nightsisters and their abilities. They always felt more like something out of Marvel instead of Star Wars. Supernatural abilities in Star Wars should‘ve never gone beyond basic telekinesis, mind tricks, and clairvoyance. And to be fair, this isn’t something that we can blame Disney for; even Lucas himself was unable or unwilling to put a stop to this kind of power creep while he was still in charge.
how is lightning and force ghosts basic?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Dathomir Witches sounds like a terrible Black metal garage band out of Alabama who thinks they're badass because they listen to Niege.

Elysion

Banned
how is lightning and force ghosts basic?

Force ghosts in the original trilogy couldn’t really do anything other than communicate with people. And by ‚people‘ I mean Luke, since no one else could even see or hear them. I always saw ‚force ghosts’ back then as a fancy form of telepathy from the afterlife. By the time of the sequels however force ghosts are basically spectral beings that can physically interact with the world as if they were still alive, except they‘re still immortal. Dying has apparently no drawbacks whatsoever for a Jedi, quite the opposite.

As for force lightning, while I agree that it isn’t a ‚basic‘ ability at all, in the original trilogy Palpatine was the only one who was ever able to use it, and we saw it only once at the very end of the story. And it apparently had some kind of drawback, since it seemed to blow back on Palpatine himself somehow and hurt him when Vader grabbed him and threw him down that shaft, like he lost control of it and couldn’t turn it off for some reason. But then in the prequels Dooku was also able to use force lightning, and apparently much better than Palpatine in RotJ, since Dooku could turn it on and off at will without a problem. And force lightning has only become less special since then, to the point where Rey in TRoS was even able to use it by accident.

The Force these days just feels like a superpower from a superhero movie.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
That set piece with Merrin on Jedha is probably one of the more naturally "epic" moments in Star Wars in the last 20 years.

Top Bottom