• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point. Not sure how a guy exudes sexuality. I lift and play in a band. And no i didnt read the OP ill do that soon.

What I mean is that you don't act like a dude they want to be friends with. Be physical with women you are attracted to - touch them. Compliment their looks. Make it known through your conversation and body language that you want a romantic relationship.

SeanC

And just because you like directness doesn't mean you're owed it. People deal wirh rejecting people in different ways. There was a thread full of nuts on here who were livid about being ghosted because they thought they were owed a final reply. Some people send horrible things when they are rejected. The way around that for most women is to just disappear.

Hell, we have a guy in here who just recently couldn't break things off with someone who he never even seemed to like, just because he didn't want to hurt her feelings. Happens on both sides of the spectrum.

Oh I know, I suppose I didn't go into it - she was pretty direct about liking me and getting together at first then the radio silence after. That's kind of what I meant. She even texted me her real name and followed that up with "Enjoy the cyber-stalking! :)" which I found funny and totally upfront - a nice change of pace if anything.

Nobody owes me anything, but that was an image she put out there which is why I found the ghosting weird and wanted to bring it up here.

I got a 'charm' form this girl on Happn. I don't know about this app yet, I like looking at the pics at least.

Azerare

That's the funny thing I'm very social. I'm a Project Manager I pretty much talk, run meetings, conference calls ect. That part just never connected its freaking odd.

Fair point but those seem like more controlled, professional interactions. At least for myself personally I interact differently while in work and in my downtime.

Rked

What I mean is that you don't act like a dude they want to be friends with. Be physical with women you are attracted to - touch them. Compliment their looks. Make it known through your conversation and body language that you want a romantic relationship.

Its hilarious at work I give orders talk with women so often keep eye contact ect. When im out im so unconfident in myself with regards to that stuff i just don't even talk to them.

Astral

At work I talk to my female co-workers very easily but at school I'm mostly quiet and almost timid lol. Idk why.

gwailo

Banned
Most work places have neutered any kind of dating aspects due to HR worries, plus it's generally not a good idea to date at work, so you guys probably don't feel like they are potential dates, at least on an unconscious level. That's why I suggested some of the activities above. A lot of guys will freeze up in situations to ask for numbers in places like bars because of expectations and possible "consequences". Basically you're psyching yourself out.

Astral

Most work places have neutered any kind of dating aspects due to HR worries, plus it's generally not a good idea to date at work, so you guys probably don't feel like they are potential dates, at least on an unconscious level. That's why I suggested some of the activities above. A lot of guys will freeze up in situations to ask for numbers in places like bars because of expectations and possible "consequences". Basically you're psyching yourself out.

Yep this is definitely it I think. That's the case when I flirt with my MILF supervisor so I'm guessing this is the case with the others too.

Rked

I can confirm im psyching myself out. The fact i haven't made out with women and im 28 is pretty much stopped me from doing anything. Its embarrassing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Dating gaf, I fucked up and need help. I talked with a girl on tinder last night. She's awesome, we agreed to go watch Patton on 70mm ( we both agreed movie dates for a first date suck... But it's Patton! ) on Wednesday.

PROBLEM. I have tickets to see the Zelda Concert at the same time with friends. Didn't remember I had tickets until this morning. Double booked myself fuuuuuu.

First date and Patton or Balcony Seats for Zelda Live?!?

Tell her you forgot about your Zelda tickets and reschedule.

Sami+

Bleh, got broken up with. Very amicable/mutual breakup, we both still care about each other a lot (she asked me to stay and cuddle for a few hours when I came by to pick up some of my stuff) but she felt like there were warning signs that things weren't going to work long term and didn't want to draw things out - I don't really disagree, and I did notice those things myself although I didn't think it was worth acting on now.

Ah well. I feel surprisingly ok about it tbh, very "dang that sucks, on to the next then" attitude. I'm pretty casual about dating as of right now.

Mediking

Super gorgeous blonde woman in my psych class. She's soooo attractive. Her body is amazing. I really wanna get to know her but she's super shy. Everytime class ends, she rushes out within a blink of an eyes. I'm trying to find the right time to talk to her but it's not easy. All I need is a window... :(

sora87

So, strange thing happened to me last week, me and my friend were drinking and we're always quite flirty but we got in a discussion and told each other we like each other and kissed a few times. We arranged to meet up with our other friends on saturday and she was with another guy, so I got a bit upset and kept my head down for the night. Then she told my friend the next day she doesn't really remember anything of what happened last week with me and her.

So, this is all a bit awkward now. Sighhhh.

Mediking

So, strange thing happened to me last week, me and my friend were drinking and we're always quite flirty but we got in a discussion and told each other we like each other and kissed a few times. We arranged to meet up with our other friends on saturday and she was with another guy, so I got a bit upset and kept my head down for the night. Then she told my friend the next day she doesn't really remember anything of what happened last week with me and her.

???? She doesn't even remember you two kissing? Wow. Either she's playing dumb or just walk away.

vern

Super gorgeous blonde woman in my psych class. She's soooo attractive. Her body is amazing. I really wanna get to know her but she's super shy. Everytime class ends, she rushes out within a blink of an eyes. I'm trying to find the right time to talk to her but it's not easy. All I need is a window... :(

Sit by her?

Alternatively follow her home and hide in the bushes, there's your window right there.

sora87

???? She doesn't even remember you two kissing? Wow. Either she's playing dumb or just walk away.

She worded it quite weird, makes me think she just immediately regretted it when she woke up. Just no idea why she'd be so adamant she liked me and all this if she doesn't, so confusing :(

It's only awkward if you make it awkward. Do you think she likes you (sober)? Was this dude her steady bf?

urge26

You need to consult with Mystery my friend:

story.jpg

sora87

It's only awkward if you make it awkward. Do you think she likes you (sober)? Was this dude her steady bf?

No idea, haven't really spoken since but i doubt it now. That was just a tinder date or something.

We've only got a small group of friends so it could just be awkward cause of that, like normally there's only 4 of us out.

Mory Dunz

uh....how do you know she's shy? From leaving class on time?
If anything, you'd be the shy one since you're asking how to start a conversation with her, no?

but anyhoo, sit next to her. Then start a convo.

- If you think you can't start a conversation and sound natural, do it by commenting on something visual somewhere in the room. (These desks are tiny. That blackboard is screechy. This class's chairs are comfy. It's so hot in here, is the AC broken? It doesn't really matter what.)
- Or better, comment on something the professor said. Professors always say something worth laughing at or talking about.
- Ask her about the HW even though you know what the HW is. ;)
- Same, ask her when X assignment is due, even though you already have it marked in your planner.

- From there, Ask about her Major/what year/what dorm/etc (not all of these. Choose one. Don't pepper strangers lol)

If she's even the least bit interested she'll ask the same questions back. Go from there.
It's not too hard.

Mediking

uh....how do you know she's shy? From leaving class on time?
If anything, you'd be the shy one since you're asking how to start a conversation with her, no?

but anyhoo, sit next to her. Then start a convo.

- If you think you can't start a conversation and sound natural, do it by commenting on something visual somewhere in the room. (These desks are tiny. That blackboard is screechy. This class's chairs are comfy. It's so hot in here, is the AC broken? It doesn't really matter what.)
- Or better, comment on something the professor said. Professors always say something worth laughing at or talking about.
- Ask her about the HW even though you know what the HW is. ;)
- Same, ask her when X assignment is due, even though you already have it marked in your planner.

- From there, Ask about her Major/what year/what dorm/etc (not all of these. Choose one. Don't pepper strangers lol)

If she's even the least bit interested she'll ask the same questions back. Go from there.
It's not too hard.

I'm one of the funny guys in class and she does laugh at my jokes but she's leave the class so fast that I can barely say a word to her.... Hahaha I'm not giving up though. I'll keep trying. And I say she's shy because she gives off the vibe that she's very reserved.

Mathunilx

Neo Member

I just wanted to ask a question regarding this.

People tell me to be physical, but the problem is I was raped when I was younger and I am in no way comfortable being physical with someone unless I know this person very well.

And I've met a girl and we hung out twice and she texted me "you're cute by the way" a couple times and she wants to hang out more but I fear that she will try to be too close too quickly. I also fear that I won't be able to show that I'm intesrested by "being physical".

What would be good advice for me?

Mory Dunz

I'm one of the funny guys in class and she does laugh at my jokes but she's leave the class so fast that I can barely say a word to her.... Hahaha I'm not giving up though. I'll keep trying. And I say she's shy because she gives off the vibe that she's very reserved.

oh ok, that's good then. Yeah, I could see body language, etc making someone look reserved. But you never know for sure.

But if you have the confidence to crack jokes during class, you're probably decently regarded in the class already.

So just sit next to her and talk to her. Given your history, her thoughts are way less likely to be, "is this some creep/what are his intentions/blah blah" since you're already established yourself as personable.

People tell me to be physical, but the problem is I was raped when I was younger and I am in no way comfortable being physical with someone unless I know this person very well.

And I've met a girl and we hung out twice and she texted me "you're cute by the way" a couple times and she wants to hang out more but I fear that she will try to be too close too quickly. I also fear that I won't be able to show that I'm intesrested by "being physical".

edit:
erased
my advice might be off. You're more worried about her going too fast then? And not what you can do?
I addressed the latter and then was like, wait, delete.

That's a question for a therapist, not for good old ZackieChan.

SeanC

Man, that's a big question as others have said. If you're comfortable by a few dates maybe bring it up and your date will at least know your views on being physical and where you're coming from?

That's a question not an answer I threw out there, so don't go by me because I don't really have a way to approach it. Just an idea.

Mathunilx

Neo Member
Thanks anyways!

It feels weird having to talk about this with a therapist. Well at least I can always get to the first or second date. Though I usually decide to end it due to things moving too fast.

Thanks anyways!

It feels weird having to talk about this with a therapist. Well at least I can always get to the first or second date. Though I usually decide to end it due to things moving too fast.

Believe me when I say, it will be far less awkward to discuss that with a therapist than with a first or second date. FAR FAR FAR LESS AWKWARD.

Spinluck

Would you guys date someone if there is no initial physical attraction? And how do you guys respond when a girl looks REALLY different than her photos? I'm torn on this because I can recall not initially being attracted to one of my exs a while back, but I knew she liked me so I got to know her then fell for her. We dated like a year before things went south.

I can recall a few dates within the past few years where my date looks really different than their pictures. To the point where I think I'm paranoid. The thing is with me I won't instantly bail or anything, but I at least try to get to know them until I'm more comfortable with them. And from this maybe an attraction may develop. During this time, I'm not really all that physical even though I may be looking for a relationship. It's usually hugs and that's it. Only recently that I've had girls take that as more friendly, even if I came around to kissing. But I guess it's better that way?

I know that this sounds like really superficial but whatever. I can't fake an attraction; but I can develop one. I guess the dating game is so lit for girls right now that they rather not waste time with a guy not giving them that spark.

MattyG

Banned
There is no seems here. As for as signals go, she lit the fucking beacons of Gondor.
You're right. I don't know why I always assume that people are like goldfish and they're just going to lose interest in me immediately. I need to stop thinking that way.

I'm a little hesitant right now with her though. She seems to go through guys pretty quick (which is fine, it's her prerogative what she does), but I'm also against her "type". I hate the whole "type" thing since I find it a bit too general sometimes, but she definitely has one and from what I've seen and she's said, I'm the complete opposite. There's that and the fact that I think she's still talking with that dickhead, and it sounds like he's trying to hook up with her. She also said she's "not exactly emotionally available right now", which I assume just means she wants something casual. I definitely want something with her, I just don't know if I want to be one of two or three dudes. Maybe it'd be a good situation for me to experience though, since I've always been kind of uncomfortable with casual stuff. Get me out of my comfort zone and break that stigma I have, maybe?

I mean, she texted me this morning to say good morning and has been keeping in contact really consistently, and we're going to see each other on Thursday at the latest, but I'm just a little hesitant. I'm not going to drag my feet on making a move like last year, but since she's making it obvious she's interested in something, I think I have enough time to kind of feel out the situation here a tiny bit more next time I see her and then decide what to do.

Goddamn, why is this shit always so complicated?

SeanC

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just overthinking everything (as always). I guess I've just gotta try to stop that and just go with whatever happens on this one.

Yeah, there's a lot of "thinking" and "assuming" in your first paragraph. Just roll with it, hell she's keeping in touch and that's something at least.

Starviper

So here's a decent question. My friend group is pretty big and i've known this girl for a couple of years now. We've both been with friends of each other and now we're both single, she just got out of a multi year relationship. I've been dating around the last couple months but had a party over at my place on the weekend. Started getting late and people are leaving, we're both chilling and a mutual friend of ours she was gonna give a ride home to suggests she can just stay over and he'll ride with someone else.

Made things real obvious so after she left I messaged her saying she's really cool and we should grab some dinner or chill sometime soon. It worked and she said she'd be down for it. So here's the thing right now - we wont be hanging out for at least a week because scheduling.. I don't wanna overdo messaging since we didn't talk all the time prior, but any tips to keep it from fizzlin'?

Llyranor

I'm a little hesitant right now with her though. She seems to go through guys pretty quick (which is fine, it's her prerogative what she does), but I'm also against her "type". I hate the whole "type" thing since I find it a bit too general sometimes, but she definitely has one and from what I've seen and she's said, I'm the complete opposite. There's that and the fact that I think she's still talking with that dickhead, and it sounds like he's trying to hook up with her. She also said she's "not exactly emotionally available right now", which I assume just means she wants something casual. I definitely want something with her, I just don't know if I want to be one of two or three dudes. Maybe it'd be a good situation for me to experience though, since I've always been kind of uncomfortable with casual stuff. Get me out of my comfort zone and break that stigma I have, maybe?
1) Until you're exclusive, you can always assume you are one of many. If you don't, you may be in for a surprise.

2) What is 'her type'? The type that makes her interest and intentions obvious? Maybe this is not the worse thing to happen to you.

3) Do you expect your relationship to be lifelong? Casual can be okay if you just want to have some fun and get some experience while you're there.

I have kind of a fun story.

I stopped all my dating apps in mid april and have been super happy since. I was kind of with someone until early july and that exploded. Since then i have had an odd stream of new people not great for relationships but enough to keep me from going back to the dating apps and just working on personal projects and stuff.

3 weeks ago, after taking a small break from drawing every week i go back to figure drawing ( a 7-930 group where i drink a beer and shoot the shit with my friends while working on my figure drawing skills). A new girl i hadnt seen before shows up and is super fucking cute. We talked a little bit and i skimed that she is probably single. She says she will be back next week. We talk a little bit more the next week. I finish my end of the evening watercolor. I go to wash up my palette and brush and i see her going down the stairs and out for the night. I drop my shit in the sink and job over to the railing and call to her. She stops and looks and im like. fuck. she actually stopped. I ask if she would like to grab a drink sometime. She agreed and we trade numbers. I go out to dinner with my friends from drawing and get a text about 15 minutes later with all of her availability for the next week. WIN.

We had a fantastic date a couple days later. She is just out of pretty long relationship. I wasn't planning on dating so taking it slow is totally fine with me. Ill see her at drawing again tomorrow and we will plan another date soon.

I saw the girl in the shop again today, I had my number written down on a piece of paper and was ready to give it to her when my turn came but I froze, there were too many people around and I didn't want it to seem odd or weird. She was as polite as ever, talking about the weather, asking what I was planning to do after work, I felt it was the perfect opportunity to do it too.

I'll try again tomorrow when it's not as busy. Hopefully I will be able to build up enough confidence to it. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

I think I'll drown my sorrows in some ice cream.

SeanC

Made things real obvious so after she left I messaged her saying she's really cool and we should grab some dinner or chill sometime soon. It worked and she said she'd be down for it. So here's the thing right now - we wont be hanging out for at least a week because scheduling.. I don't wanna overdo messaging since we didn't talk all the time prior, but any tips to keep it from fizzlin'?

Is your date already on the books? Maybe not location yet but day and time? That's the important part.

We had a fantastic date a couple days later. She is just out of pretty long relationship. I wasn't planning on dating so taking it slow is totally fine with me. Ill see her at drawing again tomorrow and we will plan another date soon.

Nice. I wish I had time for more social things like that. I have been looking into cooking classes, but dang do the weekend classes get full fast here in LA.

I'll try again tomorrow when it's not as busy. Hopefully I will be able to build up enough confidence to it. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Keep trying, but don't walk in with your number already written down on a piece of paper.

urge26

I stopped all my dating apps in mid april and have been super happy since. I was kind of with someone until early july and that exploded. Since then i have had an odd stream of new people not great for relationships but enough to keep me from going back to the dating apps and just working on personal projects and stuff.

3 weeks ago, after taking a small break from drawing every week i go back to figure drawing ( a 7-930 group where i drink a beer and shoot the shit with my friends while working on my figure drawing skills). A new girl i hadnt seen before shows up and is super fucking cute. We talked a little bit and i skimed that she is probably single. She says she will be back next week. We talk a little bit more the next week. I finish my end of the evening watercolor. I go to wash up my palette and brush and i see her going down the stairs and out for the night. I drop my shit in the sink and job over to the railing and call to her. She stops and looks and im like. fuck. she actually stopped. I ask if she would like to grab a drink sometime. She agreed and we trade numbers. I go out to dinner with my friends from drawing and get a text about 15 minutes later with all of her availability for the next week. WIN.

Atta Boy! Nice work.

Jokab

This is more relationship-age, but I guess that goes in here if anywhere.

Been having some ups and downs with my GF. Posted a while back that we had our first real 'talk' and came up with some things we need to improve. Things were back to normal for a while but I felt they started getting worse again. Less texts, less seeing eachother, less affection. Same thing as before, with the addition of me sensing she was feeling more down lately. I told her a few times on separate occasions that she can talk to me about anything, I will listen and not judge her. But she just responded with what pretty much amounted to "great :)"

Finally pulled the trigger and invited her to my place for us to cook dinner. The evening started out fine and she seemed more uppity. We put the potatoes and meat in the oven and she started cooking the sauce while I checked my phone on the couch. She just stood there stirring the sauce (which is really not necessary) for what must have been 15 minutes, so I asked her if she needed to be stirring so much. She responded "no" in a very mellow tone. Asked if she was upset or sad over anything. Again a no.

She was like this for the entire evening. She wanted to be close to me but barely even responded when I asked her something or told a story. Not angry, not mad, just apathic or something. Eventually after finishing the post-dinner movie I said what was on my mind, that she seemed more down lately. She was very reluctant to respond to anything. I had some suspicions though (lives with her sister who's moving out to live with BF, plus she kinda hates her school and her classmates) and asked about them. A long while of talking and prying ended with her in tears and us hugging and talking over her future.

It's only been three days after that but things have been so much better. Really felt like I got through to her like I haven't before.

I guess what I want to say with this livejournal post is, once again: talk to your partner! Support them. Pry for information if you suspect there's something they're holding back on. I imagine that many behaviors that one might interpret as disinterest can simply be some degree of depression or stress.

MattyG

Banned
Yeah, there's a lot of "thinking" and "assuming" in your first paragraph. Just roll with it, hell she's keeping in touch and that's something at least.
Yup. I'm going to ruin this by overthinking it and doing something dumb because of that if I don't stop.

1) Until you're exclusive, you can always assume you are one of many. If you don't, you may be in for a surprise.

2) What is 'her type'? The type that makes her interest and intentions obvious? Maybe this is not the worse thing to happen to you.

3) Do you expect your relationship to be lifelong? Casual can be okay if you just want to have some fun and get some experience while you're there.
1) You're right.

2) From what I've seen (and had her tell me), she likes, and this is going to sound like I'm trying to make myself sound good but I don't know how else to say it since this was her word and not mine, "assholes". I don't think she means straight up assholes, but probably more confident to the point of being kind of pushy and dominant, and I know a lot of the guys she's been with and they all fall into that sort of category. I'm not super confident or pushy at all, as you can tell, which I think might be part of what's interesting her about me, I guess?

3) Obviously not. I'd like to try to be something a little more than just fuck buddies, but if that's all she wants and can do right now, I'm willing to try that.

I hear you.... I overthink a LOT.
It really sucks. Like, she just sent me a snapchat of what looked like her arm because she got hurt at work or something and she made a joke about it, but I was half asleep so I wasn't sure if that's what I was seeing. I spent like 5 minutes figuring out how to ask what it was and I'm still like "shit, she's gonna think I'm an idiot, why didn't I wake up more before I looked at it, ahhh." But then I know when she responds I'll be like "wow, that was a pretty fucking dumb thing to worry about, neither of us are even going to remember this tomorrow." It's fucking annoying and I don't know why I do it.

Spinluck

Okay.. So I was in a really bad break up in March.. Not too long after him and I broke up, I found out I was pregnant..  I mean If you were to see me, you wouldn't really be able to tell unless I told you because it just looks like I just gained some weight. I'm literally just now starting to show. But that's why I needed to tell you now because I have pictures of my bump on insta and Facebook. So I figured I would tell you now before you saw it and be like "woah, she's pregnant??" Lol. I was going to wait a little bit before I told you cause I didn't know how I was gonna do it, and I really like you..

But anyway, I don't know if that changes anything cause I know some guys don't like getting involved with someone who's pregnant (especially by another guy). But if it does then I understand..

I'm cursed.

So today I did something I guess hahaha fucking social anxiety is a bitch, so I talked to a girl in the gym I thought was cute and asked her a random stuff and her name, I know is not a big deal but fuck it was a achievement for me :p

Jokab

So today I did something I guess hahaha fucking social anxiety is a bitch, so I talked to a girl in the gym I thought was cute and asked her a random stuff and her name, I know is not a big deal but fuck it was a achievement for me :p

Great job! You're doing what a lot of people in this thread would not dare.

gaiages

Banned
So here's a decent question. My friend group is pretty big and i've known this girl for a couple of years now. We've both been with friends of each other and now we're both single, she just got out of a multi year relationship. I've been dating around the last couple months but had a party over at my place on the weekend. Started getting late and people are leaving, we're both chilling and a mutual friend of ours she was gonna give a ride home to suggests she can just stay over and he'll ride with someone else.

If you've known the girl for a couple years, I'd just say to act how you normally do in texting with her.

Nice, congrats!

I'm cursed.

The fuck, she was pregnant and she didn't tell you until it was obvious? That's some fucked shit.

Hey, one step at a time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom