• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Not dishonest. Just lame.

Lamer than not having any interesting pictures? I'm sure you're the one who said for me to do stuff other than just videogames to become more interesting; on the whole though I don't want to be more interesting. If I wanted to do other stuff (and it were possible to do so), I'd be doing it.

But I guess I could see myself doing stuff if only once for some cool pictures.

I'm feeling like JadedWriter after my first date tonight. Hold me, Dating-Gaf.

Hard when you are a average white dude and everyone else are much better looking than me

I'm short so that is a big fat minus -_-
I'm average white dude as fuck, but I have baller ass photos. Step up your game.

That may be true, it's damn hard to get good pictures of myself.

If I lived in Gothenburg or in Stockholm I could do more stuff. But living in a $h!%*+#e of a town there isn't really that much to do. And I don;t have that good of a paying job so I cannot travel around
So there's your real problem, not your "averageness".
1. Find better job in different place
2. Move to different, cooler place
3. ???
4. Profit (
by smanging chicks)

Is it considered dishonest if you do those sorts of activities once for the purposes of dating profile pictures and then never again?
You just may end up enjoying doing fun and interesting things...give it a shot?

Every time someone does this to a steak, an angel loses its wings.

You crazy? Pesto on steak is great.

Peltz

Dude, i had that exact dish when i went to Paris. You don't know what you're talking about. Its delicious.
Looks like mustard.. on steak. Should I try it? It's on my route home.

So tinder vets, so how do you usually respond to gifs on tinder besides just sending another gif. I want to avoid the boring "hey, how are you?" and keep the conversation fun and light but also move it forward so I can get a number.
Nothing formulaic. I'll either comment on the gif, or say whatever is on my mind. I try not to have any "strategy" at all. I just wing it and move the conversation fast.

There's no winning formula here. It's just like responding to a gif on NeoGAF.

Oxn

Looks like mustard.. on steak. Should I try it? It's on my route home.

The sauce is more like mild curry.

I had this exact feeling when i tried it, im like wtf is this shit, way to ruin a steak, bu as i eat it it, minute by minute it started growing on me.

Had no idea they had one in NYC, must go again. I think about the dish from time to time and was wondering who else made it like that. Also for only $30, why not give it a shot. Like even if you dont like the sauce, just brush it off, cause they make the steak really good even on its own.

Also the fries are godly, i tell you, GODLY.

So tinder vets, so how do you usually respond to gifs on tinder besides just sending another gif. I want to avoid the boring "hey, how are you?" and keep the conversation fun and light but also move it forward so I can get a number.

"You know this is fun and all but you're cute and I'd like to [do something] at [some date and time] so we can see where things go. What's your number?"

Also y'all acting like steak au poivre and pommes frites ain't the best thing ever.

It's so good.

Ron Mexico

Hard when you are a average white dude and everyone else are much better looking than me

I'm short so that is a big fat minus -_-

So I'm not close to being a regular in here, but maybe even a new voice will help.

I'm an average looking guy at best. I'm about 30 pounds or so over my target weight. I don't make millions. I don't drive a fancy car.
I still have a goatee.

What I do have is a comfort in my own skin. I can't change my hairline. I can't change that I'm arguably closer to retirement than high school. But so what? I'm not the first person and I won't be the last to be dealt a hand like this in life. Might as well make the most of it.

My dating profile (which I didn't even start until I was divorced at 32 or so) contained pictures all shot with an iPhone. One was a picture of me in an ice bar in Vegas, one me making beer in my friend's backyard. You get the idea. But they were talking points. They told a story. They gave me something to work with. Did every single one show interest? No. Did enough? Sure.

Bottom line is I had hits and misses. Fun dates and utter train wrecks until ultimately I found my fiancee, who like me, has a story to tell but is comfortable enough in her own skin to own it.

There's a metric assload of good advice in this thread from all kinds of people from all parts of the world and all walks of life but it's on you to take it and run with it.

Lamer than not having any interesting pictures?

It's not lamer than not doing the things at all no. But it is lame to go out and treat having new experiences as a bore that only serves the purpose of being a photo shoot to attract women.

I'm sure you're the one who said for me to do stuff other than just videogames to become more interesting; on the whole though I don't want to be more interesting. If I wanted to do other stuff (and it were possible to do so), I'd be doing it.

Expanding your interests and experiences is a good thing. If you don't want to do that why even front the pictures to make girls think so? You just want to project so they will talk to you? So what do you do when they have an actual interest in the image you are projecting?

But I guess I could see myself doing stuff if only once for some cool pictures.

I mean do you man, I never said this wont bw effective. You just asked if it was dishonest (which it isn't, you did these things if you have pictures) and I dont think it is, it's just projecting for the sake of attention.

The sauce is more like mild curry.
Interesting, looked like pesto to me.

So I'm not close to being a regular in here, but maybe even a new voice will help.

I'm an average looking guy at best. I'm about 30 pounds or so over my target weight. I don't make millions. I don't drive a fancy car.
I still have a goatee.

I went full stubble beard after being goatee-shamed in a recent GAF thread. Not sure I'll go back. Still trying to figure out what to do with the neck, though.

Ron Mexico

I went full stubble beard after being goatee-shamed in a recent GAF thread. Not sure I'll go back. Still trying to figure out what to do with the neck, though.

So I tried the full stubble thing on vacation. Can't say I hated it, maybe I'm just resistant to change. Can't go completely clean shaven though-- I'd look like a balding 12 year old and nobody wants to see that.

Oxn

Interesting, looked like pesto to me.

Pesto on steak is an argentinian dish, afaik. But yea that is fucking good as well.

I was charming af on my date last night. Had her giggling a lot, demonstrated my mastery of various languages, and wore cool clothes (braved the mild Bangkok weather and wore a jacket to cover up how fat I've gotten on my vacation). Baller status confirmed.

So I tried the full stubble thing on vacation. Can't say I hated it, maybe I'm just resistant to change. Can't go completely clean shaven though-- I'd look like a balding 12 year old and nobody wants to see that.

That feel...I know it.
Need the stubble to prevent the giant fat baby look.

Pesto on steak is an argentinian dish, afaik. But yea that is fucking good as well.

Yep. Or maybe some chimmichuri? 🤤
I have been here for 5 hours and I'm already a meme.

You've posted more in that time than I have in the whole thread, I think.

But you just said you're not that interesting.
I have too much fun fucking with people, discussing photography, fan art, shipping, games and anime, I don't have 25,000 posts for nothing. I'm horrible at verbalizing stuff, but I'm boring regarding stereotypical things. I love music, no way in hell I can find a woman that likes my kind of music though. I've seen a couple online but they're cliched hipster goth smokers.

I think I get what he means: he's internet interesting but not real life interesting.
Pretty much, low self esteem doesn't exactly help either though or being shy. Didn't help that I close myself off a bit, trying not to do that this time. I think if a date actually can get me to talk and actually relate to me a bit it makes it easier.

Moose Biscuits

It's not lamer than not doing the things at all no. But it is lame to go out and treat having new experiences as a bore that only serves the purpose of being a photo shoot to attract women.

Expanding your interests and experiences is a good thing. If you don't want to do that why even front the pictures to make girls think so? You just want to project so they will talk to you? So what do you do when they have an actual interest in the image you are projecting?

I mean you just answered your own question, it's to get girls to talk to me. I get the whole 'expand your interests' thing but as it is I already have a backlog of stuff. I don't need more hobbies and I'm quite content as I am but for the lack of intimacy.

I mean do you man, I never said this wont bw effective. You just asked if it was dishonest (which it isn't, you did these things if you have pictures) and I dont think it is, it's just projecting for the sake of attention.

Isn't that the point of a dating app profile though? It's supposed to stand out, that's why there's always the "photograph yourself in a group, no selfies, take a picture of yourself with an animal" advice. It's marketing.

Hi people! Been lurking the thread a few times but now I think I could use some help hahah.

So, like two weeks ago, an intern arrived at my job but not directly under my supervision.
She's really pretty and it catched my eye, seems nice and we've crossed a few words (almost nothing though).

I was looking for some advice, how would you proceed? Not being that obvious about my interest on her, but showing some at the same time lol

I still need to find out if she has a boyfriend already btw.

Is this why so many women got pictures of themselves with lion cubs?

Lion cubs are just adorable as fuck. That's really all it is.

Isn't that the point of a dating app profile though? It's supposed to stand out, that's why there's always the "photograph yourself in a group, no selfies, take a picture of yourself with an animal" advice. It's marketing.

The point isn't to lie though. The pictures are also suppose to reflect who you are as well. 5 selfies of you in the same room is boring. But a whole bunch of varied pictures which then leads to a person who is exciting as 5 selfies in the same room is not much better. It won't get you far. You'll still be boring, just boring with more pictures.

You're playing your weaknesses, Jaded.

I think you can talk about anything with a girl. You just have to ease them into it. Don't go overboard though.

I don't know of I would discuss the finer points of lolicon though.. but other stuff is fine.

Gaddamnit, it's impossible to find a lady who doesn't smoke isn't it. It's a huge turn off but I feel like unless I let it go I'll never find anyone new at the moment.

its so... gross though :(

Where do you live? Here on SoCal, it's not hard at all.

Japan man...

and the type of ladies I like tend to be the ones who are also smokers. "bad girl" types. But in general a lot of ladies I know or meet smoke. Not sure why. Just my luck maybe that these are the ones I run into the most.

Hi people! Been lurking the thread a few times but now I think I could use some help hahah.

So, like two weeks ago, an intern arrived at my job but not directly under my supervision.
She's really pretty and it catched my eye, seems nice and we've crossed a few words (almost nothing though).

I was looking for some advice, how would you proceed? Not being that obvious about my interest on her, but showing some at the same time lol

Treat her 100% professionally until the day she's about to leave her internship. Unambiguously ask her out then.

You're playing your weaknesses, Jaded.

I think you can talk about anything with a girl. You just have to ease them into it. Don't go overboard though.

I don't know of I would discuss the finer points of lolicon though.. but other stuff is fine.
Is half my problem that I'm better than I think I am and that the girl I'm starting to see isn't 100% better than me, which what I believe to be the case?

Moose Biscuits

The point isn't to lie though. The pictures are also suppose to reflect who you are as well. 5 selfies of you in the same room is boring. But a whole bunch of varied pictures which then leads to a person who is exciting as 5 selfies in the same room is not much better. It won't get you far. You'll still be boring, just boring with more pictures.

You're right, damn it. I suppose I'd have to become one of those insufferable people who are always doing exciting things if I wanted​ a proper chance. This dating business is such hard work it barely seems worth it most days.

Deitus

You're right, damn it. I suppose I'd have to become one of those insufferable people who are always doing exciting things if I wanted​ a proper chance. This dating business is such hard work it barely seems worth it most days.

I imagine there's probably a compromise where you do things you enjoy doing, and find a way to convey that to people with similar interests that doesn't give the impression that you disdain the company of others.

You will probably have to spend some of your free time doing something other than you number one favorite hobby, but that doesn't mean you have to go kayaking or rock climbing every weekend.

Is half my problem that I'm better than I think I am and that the girl I'm starting to see isn't 100% better than me, which what I believe to be the case?

You should endeavor to figure out who you actually are. And no, she's not 100% better than you. You're both flawed in different ways. You both excel in different ways. You're just people. You might not be compatible. You might be each other's great love. Time will tell.

Your attitude sucks, and it's probably why you're experiencing difficulty.

One, people who do things they enjoy aren't insufferable. Two, yes -- dating is hard -- and it appears right now you're either whining about putting in the bare minimum of effort (e.g., trying to bring something to the table) or already making excuses for your litany of failures.

You do have a proper chance.

You're just fucking it up because of the warped view you have of a very common, normal human interaction that's in no way unique or special, considering you've got problems all of us have too, to varying degrees. Read the OP. Seriously.

Stopdoor

Man, why the selfie hate. I can't say I read that much into pics, I just care about a passably attractive face and figure and then I'm all about reading a bio or something, I don't need a story in pics. Why can't women just share my standards??

Treat her 100% professionally until the day she's about to leave her internship. Unambiguously ask her out then.
I thought something like that, don't want to get in trouble or get people talking about things that are not real.

I'll try to talk about work related or random stuff to see if she's just being polite to me or maybe there's something more.

You should endeavor to figure out who you actually are. And no, she's not 100% better than you. You're both flawed in different ways. You both excel in different ways. You're just people. You might not be compatible. You might be each other's great love. Time will tell.
Yeah I should pretty much just calm down and let it do whatever it does instead of trying to micro manage the whole thing. There's actually a lot of past stuff I should try to just put behind me at some point, really does get in the way of certain things.

Salamando

Man, why the selfie hate. I can't say I read that much into pics, I just care about a passably attractive face and figure and then I'm all about reading a bio or something, I don't need a story in pics. Why can't women just share my standards??

If women had lower standards, you still wouldn't be getting dates - your competition just grew 100x. They have standards because they can afford to...men, quite often, can't (or at least not as high).

Well not quite. You just have to have pictures of things you actually like. I like basketball so I have a picture of me at a basketball game. I have a picture of me at a ping pong bar. I suck at ping pong but it's still a fun place I like going with my friends.

I wouldn't like, try to sky dive just so I could get a picture of it because A ) I'm scared of heights and B ) it's not something I actually wanna do. A nice picture at the beach or a festival will get you the same results. The point is to vary yourself and also enjoy what you are doing.

I just don't think faking it is really conductive when you meet the people and they expect something you aren't. Interesting things doesn't have to mean wild. I went to a food tasting thing a few months ago. It was fun and not something I normally do but it wasn't like crazy or anything like that.

Don't hit on an intern. Bad look bruv. She's there to get a job, not get hit on by the company lurker. If anything happens she comes on to you. Awesome if that happens !

Sorry I was kinda aggressive in my reply. I know you just saw something that excites you , you're being innocent about it. It's not bad when you really get down to it, but it makes your company look bad if you're being forceful, and looks weird to coworkers . Semi preditory

Had a good date tonight, the place I picked for dinner went over well (pretty good Italian, though pricier than I anticipated) and we enjoyed the movie even though we got there a bit late. It was fun. Kissed her goodnight and we agreed to meet on Monday to go to a barcade together.

But man, she's got her finances so much more in control than mine that I feel like I might be too poor to date her.

Literally!

Also LOOOOOOOOL at the italics, holy shit
added to insult repertoire, I love your wife btw

She's brutal when she's had enough and it takes a lot for her to reach that point, but I'm great at pushing people's buttons..I went to the period place once. Yeah, a huge mistake...seriously. There's a line when it comes to roasting each other and that's one you just don't cross.

Still, I feel she goes for more low blows them me.. Shit happens sometimes, take it as a compliment.

If women had lower standards, you still wouldn't be getting dates - your competition just grew 100x. They have standards because they can afford to...men, quite often, can't (or at least not as high).

Has anyone met someone who actually lowered their standards over having self esteem/confidence issues? I've found that lowering standards is directly linked to how you feel about yourself and what you feel you can offer others.

That's based on two people though, so maybe there are people who genuinely lower their standards, but again, I feel that's something that hits in middle age if you're still single. No-one in their twenties or thirties should be lowering their standards willingly.

Has anyone met someone who actually lowered their standards over having self esteem/confidence issues? I've found that lowering standards is directly linked to how you feel about yourself and what you feel you can offer others.

That's based on two people though, so maybe there are people who genuinely lower their standards, but again, I feel that's something that hits in middle age if you're still single. No-one in their twenties or thirties should be lowering their standards willingly.

Don't spill the secrets, bro. I'm relying on this to get any dates with this shiny head of mine :D

You just need to beardfish women. Grow an epic beard and always wear a hat. They'll never suspect you're a bald motherfucker until it's too late...

Or you could just have them read this...

https://www.indy100.com/article/bald-men-more-attractive-study-better-7549731

It's funny, because my head hair is super thin (has always been that way - thanks, Dad), but my beard hair is way thicker. The "transition" looks about as smooth as the 38th parallel leading into North Korea.

Llyranor

I mean, it's marketing, yeah. But it's marketing you as a product. What happens when someone likes your profile and gets to know you and finds out everything in it was a lie and you just like sitting around playing videogames? I would personally bail, not for the videogames/limited hobbies part, but for the false advertising. Going semantics and going 'but I did it once!!!' is not going to win that person over.

Don't hit on an intern. Bad look bruv. She's there to get a job, not get hit on by the company lurker. If anything happens she comes on to you. Awesome if that happens !

Sorry I was kinda aggressive in my reply. I know you just saw something that excites you , you're being innocent about it. It's not bad when you really get down to it, but it makes your company look bad if you're being forceful, and looks weird to coworkers . Semi preditory
Don't need to worry, it's good to have other points of view.

I won't do anything crazy or something that may freak her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom