• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT5| Halp me pls. In the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
I would definitely consider going on dates with more than one girl at once, but it's not like I have a bunch of prospects lined up. I'm not living on campus because it's summer, so the only girls I see regularly are at work. I suppose I could go to a bar and try and hit it off with someone, but I am a pretty shy dude so that would be out of my comfort zone.

Please re-read my edited post.

Alright, I'll chill lol. Just so you know, I don't think I was overly pushy when she said she couldn't hang out all weekend, I immediately said that was fine and changed the subject. There is no way she thinks I'm crazy (yet).

It's not about what you said, it's how you feel. You are freaking out, going by your post. That shit leaks through what you probably think is a calm and cool demeanor. Take a trip through the last 10 pages of this thread and watch potential relationships crumble or fail to materialize due to this kind of thinking.

Also, figure out why you're not getting dates, and work on that. Boring profile? Do something cool. Bad photos? Do something cool and photograph it.

And you gotta figure out how to break through your shyness and go out.

It's not about what you said, it's how you feel. You are freaking out, going by your post. That shit leaks through what you probably think is a calm and cool demeanor. Take a trip through the last 10 pages of this thread and watch potential relationships crumble or fail to materialize due to this kind of thinking.

Also, figure out why you're not getting dates, and work on that. Boring profile? Do something cool. Bad photos? Do something cool and photograph it.

And you gotta figure out how to break through your shyness and go out.

Would you recommend getting a Tinder if I'm trying to meet more girls? I'm not looking for a one night stand btw, I want an actual relationship.

catmincer

Tinder is good at least from my point of view. Being gay Grindr is disgusting and people just want a root so not my scene but tinder I met someone on and I also made friends from too. So try it out.

Kurtofan

I'm going to have a conversation with my date (in two hours) and tell her I don't feel ready to be in a relationship, I think I should warn her I need to talk.
I hated when my ex-fling (or whatever) broke up with me out of the blue.

The old story with my "ex" btw:
I arrived at her place thinking we were going out on a date, she's all panicked telling me she called her ex and he told her he wanted to kill himself, she told me she asked him to come and live with her again she was very out of sorts so I stayed with her until he was about to arrive (he lived hundred of miles away at the time).

Is it normal to feel scared after a first date that went well? I don't know why I just feel terrible. She seems like a nice girl, and she's ok looking.

Would you recommend getting a Tinder if I'm trying to meet more girls? I'm not looking for a one night stand btw, I want an actual relationship.

I think Tinder has been legitimized. Plenty of girls looking for actual relationships, or at least short-term dating on there. I recommend installing ALL of the apps and having some fun with it. I said earlier in this thread that you should treat it like grinding in an rpg - get in there every day for 20 minutes or so, do your swiping, send some messages, reply to girls, etc.

I'm going to have a conversation with my date (in two hours) and tell her I don't feel ready to be in a relationship, I think I should warn her I need to talk.
I hated when my ex-fling (or whatever) broke up with me out of the blue.

The old story with my "ex" btw:
I arrived at her place thinking we were going out on a date, she's all panicked telling me she called her ex and he told her he wanted to kill himself, she told me she asked him to come and live with her again she was very out of sorts so I stayed with her until he was about to arrive (he lived hundred of miles away at the time).

you've been on ONE DATE, and she blocked you after that. I think this is my last reply to you. Sorry dude. You're creeping us out, I can't imagine how this girl will feel after you have to have a serious talk with her after meeting ONE TIME.

Kurtofan

you've been on ONE DATE, and she blocked you after that. I think this is my last reply to you. Sorry dude. You're creeping us out, I can't imagine how this girl will feel after you have to have a serious talk with her after meeting ONE TIME.

It's not the same girl dude. I haven't met the girl who blocked me.

It's another girl altogether, sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

I met this girl two days ago, drinks, restaurant, then I got closed to her, I asked her if I could put my arm around her, we walked like that for a bit, we kissed afterwards that sort of things (I don't like to go in details about that stuff) she kept saying stuff like "I don't want to see you go" "send me a text when you're home safe", "it's so lucky we met", etc...

I'm sorry for creeping you out, it wasn't my intention, I have a hard time communicating about this stuff, it's emotionally difficult for me.

SPCTRE

I think Tinder has been legitimized. Plenty of girls looking for actual relationships, or at least short-term dating on there. I recommend installing ALL of the apps and having some fun with it. I said earlier in this thread that you should treat it like grinding in an rpg - get in there every day for 20 minutes or so, do your swiping, send some messages, reply to girls, etc.
I think that can be a helpful way to frame dating in general - you're getting XP regardless of how the date is going, and you'll improve regardless of the outcome

(works with job interviews as well)

I met this girl two days ago, drinks, restaurant, then I got closed to her, I asked her if I could put my arm around her, we walked like that for a bit, we kissed afterwards that sort of things (I don't like to go in details about that stuff) she kept saying stuff like "I don't want to see you go" "send me a text when you're home safe", "it's so lucky we met", etc...

I'm sorry for creeping you out, it wasn't my intention, I have a hard time communicating about this stuff, it's emotionally difficult for me.

I don't recall you mentioning this one. Good for you, but I guess you don't see it that way.

I would suggest that you stop dating if even the barest hint of someone desiring you is emotionally difficult. You obviously haven't gotten over this other woman. The usual shit applies - therapy, gym, work on yourself, etc. You really aren't ready for all of this, so there's no point in pursuing it.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Back on Tinder with some decent pictures (a friend helped me out), 5th time lucky I hope. Never actually scored a date from it.

Make sure you have something written in your profile.

I swipe left on anyone without a bit of info even if I find them attractive.

Edit: I'm not on tinder for hookups. Just make it clear from the start and weed out those who aren't after the same thing.

Salamando

Still, one date, you're probably clear to just end things with a text saying "I feel we're on different wavelengths" or something like that. There's no need to meet up just to go your separate ways.

Are you going to try and friend zone yourself so that you can keep talking with her, without the relationship stuff?
this is a bad idea if one side feels something for the other, which she clearly does

gaiages

Banned
Wait, Kurtofan, you hated that your fling broke up with you? It was a fling, and apparently the girl's ex was suicidal (or manipulative). Either way, I'm pretty sure you took the wrong lesson away from that. That wasn't about you. It comes across as a "how dare you" sort of attitude, when the situation had zero to do with you.

Also, you've been on one date, you're acting like you two have been together for months.

As an aside, my phone now fills in Kurtofan's name when I start typing it, since I've typed it so much. Not sure how to feel about that.

Wait, Kurtofan, you hated that your fling broke up with you? It was a fling, and apparently the girl's ex was suicidal (or manipulative). Either way, I'm pretty sure you took the wrong lesson away from that. That wasn't about you. It comes across as a "how dare you" sort of attitude, when the situation had zero to do with you.

Also, you've been on one date, you're acting like you two have been together for months.

As an aside, my phone now fills in Kurtofan's name when I start typing it, since I've typed it so much. Not sure how to feel about that.
LMAO and so started another GAF romance

Denzar

Went on 3 dates with the same girl. Things went really well on our 3rd date (and before). Lots of staring, laughing, talking, teasing, drinking, flirting... Great vibe all round. We had a really good time.

Then at the end of the date she tells me that she get's the feeling I'm meeting up with her because I feel obliged (which isn't true at all). She also tells me that things are going really slow for her. Usually, while she's dating, a lot more shoudld've happened on the 3rd date. She then concludes the conversation with "the next time we will see eachother, it'll be coincidental".

I'm baffled. I'm genuinely interested, it's the 3rd time we meet, we have fun, great conversations, but nothing too romantic and boom... I reply by saying stuff like "if that's the way you feel, there's not much I can do. It's a pity, etc..."

I was totally confused and I got the impression she was too. WTF GAF?

vern

Went on 3 dates with the same girl. Things went really well on our 3rd date (and before). Lots of staring, laughing, talking, teasing, drinking, flirting... Great vibe all round. We had a really good time.

Then at the end of the date she tells me that she get's the feeling I'm meeting up with her because I feel obliged (which isn't true at all). She also tells me that things are going really slow for her. Usually, while she's dating, a lot more shoudld've happened on the 3rd date. She then concludes the conversation with "the next time we will see eachother, it'll be coincidental".

I'm baffled. I'm genuinely interested, it's the 3rd time we meet, we have fun, great conversations, but nothing too romantic and boom... I reply by saying stuff like "if that's the way you feel, there's not much I can do. It's a pity, etc..."

Why didn't you sleep with her on the second date?

Denzar

Did anything happen physically with her? If not, she might have taken that as a lack of interest on your part.

Not really no.

Why didn't you sleep with her on the second date?

Is this a joke or genuine question?

Lol, wow. That's savage.

It didn't come across as savage IRL. It came across as if she was protecting herself. She also asked me if I was playing hard to get. Which I wasn't, just to be clear.

gwailo

Banned
Yeah, if nothing's going on physically after 3 dates, most people are going to take that as you just want to be friends and/or aren't interested.

The Lamp

I don't know if I'm falling hard for this person or not because I've never been in a serious relationship.

I've been long distance dating for two weeks now and we jive a lot, we have chemistry and the sex was good. I think about him every morning and night and we talk every day. But I don't know how to know if I'm falling for him. Maybe I'm overthinking it for just being 2 weeks in. We see each other for 4 days at the end of the month and I guess I am going to use that opportunity to figure out more how I enjoy being around him. But I mean, I wouldn't know if I'm deceiving myself. I feel like, IF I don't like him, do I have a rational reason for it? Maybe I'm just being complicated because really we have everything in common and I enjoy being around him.

Weird

Denzar

Yeah, if nothing's going on physically after 3 dates, most people are going to take that as you just want to be friends and/or aren't interested.

There was kissing on the second date, but no tongue and no kissing on the third date.

Settles it then, I guess. I didn't really feel the need to do so or get physical that quickly. Guessing I'll keep that in mind for tonight's date!
stealth brag

NIGHT-

3 dates in with "zoo girl" and nothing physical has happened. I'm just gonna slowly phase her out and keep chugging along

Llyranor

I don't know if I'm falling hard for this person or not because I've never been in a serious relationship.

I've been long distance dating for two weeks now and we jive a lot, we have chemistry and the sex was good. I think about him every morning and night and we talk every day. But I don't know how to know if I'm falling for him. Maybe I'm overthinking it for just being 2 weeks in. We see each other for 4 days at the end of the month and I guess I am going to use that opportunity to figure out more how I enjoy being around him. But I mean, I wouldn't know if I'm deceiving myself. I feel like I don't like him, do I have a rational reason for it? Maybe I'm just being complicated because really we have everything in common and I enjoy being around him.

Weird
You are in the honeymoon phase. Don't overthink how you feel, because the infatuation is influencing your perspective, so don't make any rash decisions at the moment. And be mindful not to ignore any red flags.

Mory Dunz

There was kissing on the second date, but no tongue and no kissing on the third date.

Settles it then, I guess. I didn't really feel the need to do so or get physical that quickly. Guessing I'll keep that in mind for tonight's date!
stealth brag

You didn't do anything wrong imo. You'd kissed so obviously you showed some kind of physicality. If that's not enough and by 3 dates shes wants more, and that's enough to end it, then she sounds like some steroptypical college guy lol. But really though, I didn't see a problem that requires a big change in behavior as of yet...

friday

I always try for at least a bit of kissing on the first date. It's a really great way to literally feel out how someone feels about you. I had one date that I felt was going pretty well, but as soon as I kissed her I knew she was not feeling it.

gwailo

Banned

I've been long distance dating for two weeks now and we jive a lot, we have chemistry and the sex was good. I think about him every morning and night and we talk every day. But I don't know how to know if I'm falling for him. Maybe I'm overthinking it for just being 2 weeks in. We see each other for 4 days at the end of the month and I guess I am going to use that opportunity to figure out more how I enjoy being around him. But I mean, I wouldn't know if I'm deceiving myself. I feel like, IF I don't like him, do I have a rational reason for it? Maybe I'm just being complicated because really we have everything in common and I enjoy being around him.

Weird

You can't really rationalize too much. You either like someone or you don't. Before I knew better, I would spend a lot of time talking to people online before getting up the nerve to date them and there were a few times after we actually met that I knew right away that it wasn't going to work "in real life", even though everything was going great in both our minds beforehand. It wasn't anything that they or I did per se, it's just you get a vibe.

This is one of the problems with making long distance relationships successful. It's easy to get in a bubble where everything seems perfect because you are only really interacting on a limited basis on methods that can be controlled to an extent like phone, Skype, texting, etc. - but once you are around that person in the flesh the little things can become big cracks.

I hope you read my post at the top of the page. Look at it from an outsider's perspective: it's not awkward or inexperienced behaviour, it's creepy. I hope you recognize that and learn from it.

It's actually kind of ironic that now you're dealing with a girl who's clingy and over-invested. You went on one date: send her a text saying you didn't feel any chemistry, and then delete her number (and block her if she blows up your phone).

I hope you change your attitude and behaviour for the better and find success, whether it's in dating or other aspects of life.

Jokab

Sucks that so many girls default to this attitude. If the guy hasn't done anything by 3 dates, he's probably not interested. Did the girl try anything? Usually in this situation, no. What's to say the guy isn't thinking the same?

Kevtones

Well… 2nd date with ‘sex on first date’ girl.

- I’m totally her rebound.
- There is chemistry.
- She’s a hopeless romantic.
- I’m being careful with her and myself.
- She’s sleeping over and we’re getting Pho and then Phucking the night away. I may try to sleep with her at the Pho restaurant because they have a private bathroom and she said she’s never had public sex. So yep. Doing it.

Cheers!

The Lamp

You can't really rationalize too much. You either like someone or you don't. Before I knew better, I would spend a lot of time talking to people online before getting up the nerve to date them and there were a few times after we actually met that I knew right away that it wasn't going to work "in real life", even though everything was going great in both our minds beforehand. It wasn't anything that they or I did per se, it's just you get a vibe.

This is one of the problems with making long distance relationships successful. It's easy to get in a bubble where everything seems perfect because you are only really interacting on a limited basis on methods that can be controlled to an extent like phone, Skype, texting, etc. - but once you are around that person in the flesh the little things can become big cracks.

I don't know what that vibe is though. I think I like him a lot but I mean who knows. I'm certainly not obsessed yet but it's only been 2 weeks so I guess I'll know better later.

- I’m totally her rebound.
- There is chemistry.
- She’s a hopeless romantic.
- I’m being careful with her and myself.
- She’s sleeping over and we’re getting Pho and then Phucking the night away. I may try to sleep with her at the Pho restaurant because they have a private bathroom and she said she’s never had public sex. So yep. Doing it.

Cheers!
Pho and Phucking, the new Netflix and Chill lmao

gaiages

Banned

Cheers!

🙄

Cheers.

lol that one bullet point

gwailo

Banned
Sucks that so many girls default to this attitude. If the guy hasn't done anything by 3 dates, he's probably not interested. Did the girl try anything? Usually in this situation, no. What's to say the guy isn't thinking the same?

It's kind of a catch 22 now.

Women who initiate sex are still labeled by some as sluts, whores, etc, so it is understandable that they may be hesitant to do so.

But I think things for many guys have swung around the other way in that if they initiate anything sexually without the woman explicitly saying "come here and do xxxx to me", they think they're being a creepy date raper, so they end up doing nothing at all.

Make sure you have something written in your profile.

I swipe left on anyone without a bit of info even if I find them attractive.

Edit: I'm not on tinder for hookups. Just make it clear from the start and weed out those who aren't after the same thing.
I have a little about me and a Ron Swanson quote.

Kerrinck

How can you guys tell when it's over?
This is my first actually serious relationship (1 year and I'm 29) and up until recently, we never had any serious fight.
Last night, we went out to dinner with a couple of my male friends and when another one arrived with a new haircut, I jokingly said he looked a bit like a girl. She went on a rant (she's feminist) saying that wasn't funny and I shouldn't laugh since i'm using girl as an offensive term. The mood was destroyed and we left a bit later.
I felt completely confused since she had never acted this way and kinda shut down. She sent me multiple messages saying she's sorry and she shouldn't have done that in public but I keep thinking about that scene and the fact that I will probably watch myself way too much when with her.
Is it crazy to end the relationship because of this?
Sorry about the rant.

3 dates in with "zoo girl" and nothing physical has happened. I'm just gonna slowly phase her out and keep chugging along
NIGHT-, sounds like you're dating Denzar lmao

Did anything happen physically with her? If not, she might have taken that as a lack of interest on your part.

Not really no.

NIGHT-

This is my first actually serious relationship (1 year and I'm 29) and up until recently, we never had any serious fight.
Last night, we went out to dinner with a couple of my male friends and when another one arrived with a new haircut, I jokingly said he looked a bit like a girl. She went on a rant (she's feminist) saying that wasn't funny and I shouldn't laugh since i'm using girl as an offensive term. The mood was destroyed and we left a bit later.
I felt completely confused since she had never acted this way and kinda shut down. She sent me multiple messages saying she's sorry and she shouldn't have done that in public but I keep thinking about that scene and the fact that I will probably watch myself way too much when with her.
Sorry about the rant.

Nah! If you really like her, give it time. Just try to get her to understand it's just how your humor works and that you're not trying to offend anyone in a hateful way.

vern

Not really no.

Is this a joke or genuine question?

It didn't come across as savage IRL. It came across as if she was protecting herself. She also asked me if I was playing hard to get. Which I wasn't, just to be clear.

Genuine question mostly... seems she was into you and still flirty and everything on the third date (and you said the first two dates were similar)... so by the end of the third she felt you weren't gonna ever make a move. If the chemistry is there and she's feeling it make more of a bold move. Of course that bold move doesn't mean drag her back to your room for boning necessarily, but up the physicality until she make it stop.

You didn't do anything wrong imo. You'd kissed so obviously you showed some kind of physicality. If that's not enough and by 3 dates shes wants more, and that's enough to end it, then she sounds like some steroptypical college guy lol. But really though, I didn't see a problem that requires a big change in behavior as of yet...

The thing he did wrong was not be more physical. Second date kiss, no tongue.. what is that? A peck on the lips at the end of the night? You don't need to make out in the booth at Applebee's or wherever your date is, but get the kiss before the end of the night, and allow it to be passionate. A no-tongue kiss on the second date isn't exactly taking charge and showing that you are interested in her or turned on by her physically. It sounds like what I give my weird European friends when I see them.

gwailo

Banned
Sorry about the rant.

Not trying to be a dick, but if you really think that's a serious fight, it's pretty obvious you've never been in a LTR before. It's not worth ending the relationship over in itself -- but sometimes blowups over seemingly minor things might indicate an underlying problem. How have things been going otherwise?

Sorry about the rant.
Do you usually make offensive jokes like that around people you like? Is it a way of showing off that you're oh so manly? If you knew she was a feminist beforehand you should have expected that coming lol.

If you can't handle such a little thing, then maybe it really is time to call it quits.

NIGHT-

NIGHT-, sounds like you're dating Denzar lmao

Haha!

Well We're going out tonight, so I suppose this will make or break it. We have a crap load in common and talk well in person, but over text she's very short and not as interesting. So I'm not sure what to think of things yet

Kerrinck

Not trying to be a dick, but if you really think that's a serious fight, it's pretty obvious you've never been in a LTR before. It's not worth ending the relationship over in itself -- but usually blowups over seemingly minor things might indicate an underlying problem. How have things been going otherwise?

Ouh you're definitely right, this is my first one and it seems I suck at it. I have a crappy problem of shutting down whenever there is conflict.
Other than this, our relationship is pretty great. We rarely have any fights, I think the latest one was a couple of months ago when I had just gotten back from a trip and she left me in the middle of the way instead of dropping me home (would take 20 extra minutes) even though I always pick and get her back home when we go out which usually requires about 60-80 minutes of driving total.

Kerrinck

Do you usually make offensive jokes like that around people you like? Is it a way of showing off that you're oh so manly? If you knew she was a feminist beforehand you should have expected that coming lol.

If you can't handle such a little thing, then maybe it really is time to call it quits.

It's usually about context, no need to get personal. The same friend jokes around myself and it's always absurdly light but hey, feel free to judge.
I am far from manly and I'm pretty sure these kind of jokes wouldn't help
When the friend arrived, she jokingly said they both had the same haircut so yeah...

NIGHT-

Ouh you're definitely right, this is my first one and it seems I suck at it. I have a crappy problem of shutting down whenever there is conflict.
Other than this, our relationship is pretty great. We rarely have any fights, I think the latest one was a couple of months ago when I had just gotten back from a trip and she left me in the middle of the way instead of dropping me home (would take 20 extra minutes) even though I always pick and get her back home when we go out which usually requires about 60-80 minutes of driving total.

Please don't shut down during fights. This is what I did with my ex and it destroyed the relationship at times. Learn to express your self emotionally and resolve conflicts, or you guys aren't gonna progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom