• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dauntless: Founders Alpha begins August 18th. NDA Drops.

Syril

Fair enough - I'm unfamiliar with Monster Hunter so I was unaware it was a genre thing. That being said, is there some kind of feedback in MH in regards to combat? Or is it similar to what I am seeing in Dauntless - which looks very weightless since the monster isn't reacting at all to the attacks.

In Monster Hunter there are varying degrees of hit-pause effects depending on how much of you damage goes through to the area you hit, which you can use to determine if you're hitting a weak point on the monster, and the monster will get staggered when it takes a certain amount of damage (dependent on the monster and where you're attacking it). As it gets more hurt, it starts to go into rage mode more frequently, and when it's near death, it will start limping to try to retreat back to its den to rest.

mas8705

It kills me whenever a fancy game comes out on the PC, but I can't play it since I never have a good enough PC to enjoy games on it. Still, if the Dauntless gameplay leaves me wanting more, I might try my luck and get the founders for it.

Silly question, but a question none the less. I'm definitely picking this up and am looking at playing around with the Founders Alpha, for a write-up and some videos. However, is this playable with a controller? I like to play on my PC with controllers while being comfy on the old gaming couch.

Silly question, but a question none the less. I'm definitely picking this up and am looking at playing around with the Founders Alpha, for a write-up and some videos. However, is this playable with a controller? I like to play on my PC with controllers while being comfy on the old gaming couch.

It is mostly. There was a few UI options you needed to hit with the mouse but I think that has been fixed.

Qvoth

currently watching some streams...
not sure if it's just the weapon or because it's alpha but the sense of "impact" is very weak
haven't seen any enemy even flinching at all while getting hit

Exuro

Watching a stream and the game looks a little too button mashy. And it looks like theres no friendly fire which is disappointing.

Been watching the game on Twitch since the servers came back up and it looks really fun. Streamers sure are taking their sweet time to get hunts going though :p

These keys will give you access to the game.
Redeem by going to PlayDauntless.com and signing in.

Missed these but thanks for the giveaway. Please consider using the email tags if you do it again.

I was interested in this because I think some ex-rito people are working on it

but then I saw this

CHAMPION STATUS (90 DAYS)
Increased Behemoths drops.

and like, I'm good. I like loot games, but having something that you can buy that affects drop rates, it's like nah. I ain't into maple story cash shop tactics.

Qvoth

These keys will give you access to the game.
Redeem by going to PlayDauntless.com and signing in.

First come first serve!

d39Hdi-CEXJBZ-VKBvFc-ck6taO-vf6VPp
NmkHMi-CWDIKW-AiOxFA-thjqYN-KlbTBM
dZAuhV-t5s6W6-nPiWCx-tLCtej-eZlNLu
M7ZDeP-vNgTtK-OB1lLO-7CeCuR-OD0kYR
bLLSM7-cvoNBF-da60wt-Cnzdte-A62n1o
gVop8G-5wMGUK-Nk350z-UtdywF-uQ84tt
xr5kEU-UBEKmD-6nhS2p-ZaM6Yf-aDPMSa
QH3VDq-uzP6Ea-J0MRpt-nmbhhh-CSXt25
67y1Ve-GV4rA6-WwE1FS-oJi8KS-nTzsBr
biKiQD-B2ZPXe-3NrMfR-yZJorT-NeYBgM
oIP20y-IhdvBA-ByFJ3e-hrBndc-gEcReW
ERdZZl-1l8Cf7-IDLecW-irWLGM-uya0Vf
v2FKNq-1PBPPL-k9bNHx-uuXgDS-IRus3G
LZZQSa-UgtM0n-v4UnnP-dHmB51-kG7wCW
SL1c0I-szJAAH-3EC52U-z4rnkX-Gylov9
ljGsz6-PBciQk-wDWf05-Y64oY4-wt7EAg
v7V9tI-Y1Ihy4-WOtkMI-obAnN7-roHnGz
IQOLM1-8QDGdz-YM3OoE-U63uTM-1OPbue
VUfwrD-fiNr1Z-dBY2hL-d0gkEa-wTLxxV
FTYYl2-NSZkqR-GRVoaQ-Vajqc1-xjYaZv
xVjMxD-Rvzrkd-JkZaWa-88cQzR-CAIOl0

just found out there was a giveaway, tried all of them and they're all used :<
you shouldn't have just put them on a spoiler though since even guests and bots will be able to use them

Oxirane

I'm watching some streams and looks like there is no friendly fire/knockback. Everyone standing in right next to each other with weapons swinging all over the place looks odd.
Playing lance in MH has made it ingrained to try and stay out of the way of other hunters.

Kane1345

Yeah have to admit that I don't like that either. One of the best things about playing with others in MH was to be mindful of positioning and what attacks you use. I'm not a fan of this wailing on the monster with no consequences to your team members approach.

Mupod

yeah you kinda can't drop codes without using email tags or PMs because bots will eat them instantly. Nice gesture though.

I'd really like to give this a chance as a longtime MH fan but 80 bucks is a bit too much of a risk for me. Also does it seriously not have controller support? That can't be right.

Tovarisc

yeah you kinda can't drop codes without using email tags or PMs because bots will eat them instantly. Nice gesture though.

I'd really like to give this a chance as a longtime MH fan but 80 bucks is a bit too much of a risk for me. Also does it seriously not have controller support? That can't be right.

Not full support by looks of it. Stuff like menus require mouse, but you can do combat with pad.

There is support for pads, but some menus are effed up and may need the mouse to select accurately what you want.

Meccs

Game looks really nice on Twitch but there is no way in hell I'll pay for a Alpha/Beta... also the "pay for increased drop rate" seems a bit shady.

I've really been looking forward to this, but now way am I paying 80 bucks to get into alpha. Saw someone posted redeemable keys in plain text and died inside a little :(

Ricker

Games looks like fun but I dont understand why the founder is 80 bucks ? nothing lower at all ?...seems like a lot,arent they scare people will just wait for launch and play for free...?

Games looks like fun but I dont understand why the founder is 80 bucks ? nothing lower at all ?...seems like a lot,arent they scare people will just wait for launch and play for free...?
Founders packs tend to be expensive cause they are meant for people who want to help development not just people wanting the game. I've seen some founders packs go as high as 200 often.

Ricker

Founders packs tend to be expensive cause they are meant for people who want to help development not just people wanting the game. I've seen some founders packs go as high as 200 often.

Yeah...I just read more posts and yours, I see they do have lower tiers and all,so its all good.

Anastasis

Looks pretty good on stream. If I wasn't so recently burned on Early Access with Fortnite, I might have bit. I'll see what Slayer keys might go for though.

Have they said when the sale price of $80 will go back to the regular price of $100 for the Founder version?

Redshirt

Banned
I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. It's gorgeous, the fights are fun and the performance has been pretty good for me overall on a 1070.

I'm using an axe mostly, and the combo/special attack system for that weapon is really rewarding as I get better with positioning.

There's some frustrating moments where you get stuck under the belly of the behemoth, and the collision between you and your teammates seems wonky.

I've played mostly in four-person groups, but solo seems very hard, as if the game isn't balanced any differently whether you're alone or with others.

The one aspect of the game I really don't like is the foraging. Too slow, feels like a hassle and players who may or may not need stuff are getting mixed together.

I've watched the streams of Lirik and friends playing Dauntless. The game seemed kinda meh to me initially. It started to get more interesting when they got to more challenging monsters like the fire turtle and fire cat.
I can see the game is rough around the edges, but the fights look like a lot of fun. I'm quite interested in playing the game, maybe when beta hits.

It looks like a game that's not very demanding (UE4 engine + low polygon count + instanced areas), but I'm not sure if that's actually the case and how it runs on not so high-end PC's.

I'm also wondering: what are Monster Hunter vets take on this game?
I've never touched a Monster Hunter game before. With Monster Hunter: World looming around the corner, I get the feeling Dauntless will be the simpler/casualized variant, and the hardcore 'real deal' version will be MH:World.

VandalD

I'm also wondering: what are Monster Hunter vets take on this game?
I've never touched a Monster Hunter game before. With Monster Hunter: World looming around the corner, I get the feeling Dauntless will be the simpler/casualized variant, and the hardcore 'real deal' version will be MH:World.
This is my impression after watching streams. There doesn't seem to be much depth to the combat itself or to the pre-hunt preparations. I also feel like the game loses something in having such wide open areas to fight in. MH has more distinct environments, and this is accented by having to load between areas in all the currently released games. Have to see how this works out in World. But you get a feel for the areas themselves and learn where you'd prefer to fight a monster, and also where it typically appears or where it would go when it runs away. Dauntless kind of seems like a bunch of.. whatever, open fields with no character to the environment other than "this map is grassy" or "this map is snowy."

Anyways, I don't want to lay on too much hate. It's clearly early days for Dauntless, and I'm still for sure going to try it once it's actually free to play. I hope to feel differently once I try it, but just from what I've seen, I don't think it has a chance of holding my attention once MH:W is out. Hope anyone here that bought into the game has been enjoying it.

la_briola

I watched a stream and it looks like your "carving rewards" are loot boxes for materials? Eww.

Someone want to clarify it a bit more?

Redshirt

Banned
Is there any kind of discord for players?

There's an unofficial one, but I haven't used it yet. Link is posted on r/Dauntless.

I watched a stream and it looks like your "carving rewards" are loot boxes for materials? Eww.

Someone want to clarify it a bit more?

Yep. This is true. Victories reward you aether cores, which you open via these machines when you get back to Ramsgate.

I get the feeling Dauntless will be the simpler/casualized variant, and the hardcore 'real deal' version will be MH:World.

I agree with you to a degree but would use the word accessible and not put it in a negative light.

MH and the genre itself is pretty niche in the West, so there's a lot of opportunity here. Interested to see how it plays out.

Really interesting skin. Didn't think they would go in this direction but it fits the graphic style better. Wasn't really a fan of most if the armors sets in game.
ua4VcBu_d.jpg

May have already been asked, but can anyone in the Alpha get a good idea of how much content/monsters there will be? That's the main thing holding me back from biting. It sounds light on content where i'm used to Monster Hunter having a huge amount of content.

Redshirt

Banned
May have already been asked, but can anyone in the Alpha get a good idea of how much content/monsters there will be? That's the main thing holding me back from biting. It sounds light on content where i'm used to Monster Hunter having a huge amount of content.

It's definitely light on content in comparison to MH.

I've fought five base behemoths, and there are environmental variants of each. There are also named versions that I haven't fought yet.

I think they have a dozen base behemoths planned for launch but not all are playable yet, and I think there's at least one more getting added for beta.

Sane_Man

Does anybody have a spare key? A pm would be highly appreciated :)

I'd love one too but I don't think enough people are Founder's to pass keys around. I might bite the bullet and buy the $40 beta pack in a few weeks, although Destiny 2 is just around the corner then.

It's definitely light on content in comparison to MH.

I've fought five base behemoths, and there are environmental variants of each. There are also named versions that I haven't fought yet.

I think they have a dozen base behemoths planned for launch but not all are playable yet, and I think there's at least one more getting added for beta.

Thanks! Honestly if there's environmental variants and that adds some difference, that's not as bad as I thought.

Yaari

This game looks very interesting. I hope I can give it a shot soon. Subscribed incase a key drop happens again I guess.

Top Bottom