• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

Louie CK has joked about child molestation and raping a dead baby... I mean should we open up a dialog about that too before it emboldens would be pervs and rapists? Some jokes are a little fucked up and maybe they're not for everyone but let's be honest here, if a comedian isn't offending someone at some point then he/she isn't doing a good job. If you are sensitive about certain subjects and are offended easily Dave Chapelle probably isn't for you and there is nothing wrong with that, but stop tryng to demonize anyone not in line with your way of thinking.

Comedy is obviously subjective.

Alright gotcha, fall in line completely or don't be supportive at all. Just because I can see a trend and you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This comes off as, if you agree but don't agree 100% then you are my enemy.

Good luck getting any real traction moving social progress forward without pragmatism.

Nothing in Chappelle's humor advanced or helped trans folk in their struggle...

krioto

I liked the first one better, but damn it's good he's back - one funny dude.

The workaround from the superhero to Bill Cosby was some funny shit.

Ketkat

Louie CK has joked about child molestation and raping a dead baby... I mean should we open up a dialog about that too before it emboldens would be pervs and rapists? Some jokes are a little fucked up and maybe they're not for everyone but let's be honest here, if a comedian isn't offending someone at some point then he/she isn't doing a good job. If you are sensitive about certain subjects and are offended easily Dave Chapelle probably isn't for you and there is nothing wrong with that, but stop tryng to demonize anyone not in line with your way of thinking.

When the punchline is "Hah, transwomen are just men in dresses!" Its perfectly fine to call it out. Stop pretending otherwise.

Yes it is subjective which means it's not immune from criticism because it's comedy

Deepwater

Alright gotcha, fall in line completely or don't be supportive at all. Just because I can see a trend and you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Good luck getting any real traction moving social progress forward without pragmatism.

This is because "libruhls" or "moderates" or whatever the hell you folk like you call yourselves, can't take any sort of damn introspection to dialog about things. Until you understand power structures, it will seem like people are shutting you down because you can't be assed to grasp why cis people dictating what trans people can or can't be offended about is completely depowering for them. Maybe if you listen instead of trying to always get your two cents in, you'd actually learn something.

The thread has been highjacked by people who dont find his jokes funny, these types of comments dont fly around here bud. Apparently you become transphobic

LionPride

Banned

1. There are plenty of comedians who don't offend people

2. If people make funny jokes about shit, people will laugh

3. Comedy can be criticized, especially by members of the community that the comedian is talking about.

4. Hop off this dumbass train saying Dave isn't for someone because they criticized his unfunny joke

wow haha, what am i reading!? I didn't realize basic human rights was like a team you were playing on, or an opinion in which you had to "win people over". Its shitty attitudes like this for the reasons of why racism, sexism and discrimination in all its ugly forms still exist.

What is the context of those jokes? What is the punchline? What is the goal? Was he making light of child rape or normalizing it?

See, this is the problem with this discussion. What was Dave Chappelle trying to convey with his jokes? What is the value of the trans jokes he told? I also have to ask why you think the two are comparable. The trans jokes, ultimately, have a message that is... well, something many millions of people believe. Probably half the country believes this message. Child molestation jokes, presumably, do not convey a message that will resonate with half the country. It's the difference of telling a joke where the punchline is something that will come off as an endorsement of views rather than a mockery of them.

The thread has been highjacked by people who dont find his jokes funny, these types of comments dont fly around here bud. Apparently you become transphobic

Well, I guess I can see why you would want this thread to be a safe space for Chappelle and his fanbase.

Nothing in Chappelle's humor advanced or helped trans folk in their struggle...
Ugh... I'm not talking about him! I'm talking about ME! Just because I see a correlation involving the extreme push and pull of the left and right at the moment doesn't mean that I think its a positive thing or im "tone policing" you. Talk however you want, critique however you want.

I just feel like I'm watching two trains hurling towards each other about to collide with the current climate of politics right now and I can't stop it and it's going to get real scary and real ugly.

wow haha, what am i reading!? I didn't realize basic human rights was like a team you were playing on, or an opinion in which you had to "win people over". Its shitty attitudes like this for the reasons of why racism, sexism and discrimination in all its ugly forms still exist.

No, it's brow beating people condescendingly until they are driven further and further away.

I never said human rights are a sport. Don't make put words in my mouth. I take human rights VERY FUCKING seriously. But seeing the direction discourse is headed is incredibly disheartening. Especially watching liberals eat each other while there are diabolical human beings at the controls running the US.

And my comments in this thread weren't directed at people having legitimate conversation about the merits or lack thereof of his jokes but certain individuals who were like "Dave is hateful towards trans people, and he is a complete transphobe."

LionPride

Banned
MOST PEOPLE IN HERE FOUND MOST OF HIS CONTENT FUNNY FOR FUCKS SAKE. FUCKING CHRIST.

No, it's brow beating people condescendingly until they are driven further and further away.

I never said human rights are a sport. Don't make put words in my mouth. I take human rights VERY FUCKING seriously. But seeing the direction discourse is headed is incredibly disheartening. Especially watching liberals eat each other while there are diabolical human beings at the controls running the US.
You know where most of what you posted would do...something? In a thresd about that shit. This thread's bout the special. Positives and negatives. The negatives are very few

Also how is this thread been hijacked? Are we supposed to talk about how amazing it was continuously?

I though the special overall was great and was rolling for most of it. Even if I didn't I don't have to shut up. It's annoying that the people complaining about snowflakes that can't take a joke can't take criticism of certain jokes

Leatherface

When the punchline is "Hah, transwomen are just men in dresses!" Its perfectly fine to call it out. Stop pretending otherwise.

It's really easy to take a joke, ignore all context and pick it apart when you've already decided its offensive though, isnt it? Just strip away all those pesky details that get in the way of your point.

exfatal

Can you explain the humor?

Calling a trans woman a dude in a dress or disregarding their pronouns is not humor, it's hate. And even if it is satire, it can just as well be shitty satire. If it was proper satire, it would actually convey that his thinking is wrong; instead, he portrays gendering women correctly as PC gone mad.

Misgendering is literally the core of trans identity... literally not doing it is what allows us to be women or men in the eyes of society...

If you think calling a trans person by their proper pronoun is laughable you are literally saying that the idea that a trans woman is a woman and that a trans man is man is laughable.

I think how he phrased his joke about the subject that made it funny. If Dave just went up and said yeah trans people fuck calling them by there proper pronoun and just moved on then yeah i wouldn't think its funny. but he was trying to be funny and phrased it in a way that made me laugh. iunno guess my sense of humor is just bad. But i know i'm not transphobic just cause i laughed at it.

To try and explain why i found it funny, was the way he says "I got to change my whole pronoun game up". kinda implying how lazy he is and how much of an ass he is. like he been practicing this he and she's all day and now this new random factor just suddenly appeared. or like going to Canada and having to use U when spelling color. Yeah comparing the 2 they are nothing alike but as a joke it comes off as a funny huge exaggeration on his part and exaggeration is like main part of comedy. Like its that hard to remember to say she. But that's the way i saw that particular joke. others might have seen it differently. But at the end of the day it was a joke.. and i'll be damn if me or anyone else here for finding it funny is label transphobic.

Again just cause i watched the comedy special doesn't mean i'm going to go around using the wrong pronouns when addressing people. Its up to us as a people with ounce of sense to separate this stuff, and to not walk on eggshells cause one jackass might use his comedy as a reason to justify being a bigot.

think i'll end it there though this thread has became a landmine and i don't wanna end up banned or something.
Shit my fault for even being dragged into this and making a response.
Just wanted to read and talk about Dave being back after 10 years and overall comedy routine

Edit: explaining jokes are dumb and asking people to do that and why they found it funny is also not just hard but dumb.

It's really easy to take a joke, ignore all context and pick it apart when you've already decided its offensive though, isnt it? Just strip away all those pesky details that get in the way of your point.

People have literally been discussing Chappelle's jokes, in context, across separate threads, for quite a while.

I thought both sucked. I'm ready to laugh at anything, but both specials felt really weak and dated to me, and I don't think the majority of the material would've been funny even ten years ago.

Well when people call you transphobic because you find a joke funny, in a thread about a comedy skit i guess so. The only people that need a safespace of those that get triggered over a joke.

People are just calling you transphobic as a joke. Lighten up.

That said, I don't think that makes sense. What exactly suggests a need for a safe space for people who enter a thread and engage in healthy discussion? Isn't that what safe spaces are routinely criticized as? Being a place where people don't have to have uncomfortable discussions? Because it sounds to me like you'd sooner not have to engage.

See, this is the problem with this discussion. What was Dave Chappelle trying to convey with his jokes? What is the value of the trans jokes he told? I also have to ask why you think the two are comparable. The trans jokes, ultimately, have a message that is... well, something many millions of people believe. Probably half the country believes this message. Child molestation jokes, presumably, do not convey a message that will resonate with half the country. It's the difference of telling a joke where the punchline is something that will come off as an endorsement of views rather than a mockery of them.

My argument would be that some of his jokes that people are categorizing as homophobic or transphobic are actually making fun of those sentiments, not championing them as correct. Some of them, like the one about participating in someone's self-image or black men wearing high heels to feel safe, are indicative of his ignorance, however.

Same hero, new boots was also kind of lame just as a joke. It felt a bit too stretched out.

Monocle

I'm going to have to take the rest of your criticism with a grain of salt, considering he was employing absurdity to point out how goofy the bolded mindset is, not agreeing with it.

Edit: I will agree that the fashionable gay superhero was a totally lame dad joke without a clever punchline, although it was lame enough that it should register relatively low on the outrage meter.
You've done it. You've found the one line in my post that you can use to avoid engaging with the broader point. Top marks.

Just finished the first one. There were a couple slow spots right after the beginning, but it was still nearly wall-to-wall laughs.

Will watch the other one tomorrow (most likely).

Good to have Dave back.

Deepwater

Well when people call you transphobic because you find a joke funny, in a thread about a comedy skit i guess so. The only people that need a safespace of those that get triggered over a joke.

If you laughed at a white person making an unfunny joke about black people while using the term 'niggers', and try to shut down the black people who didn't think it was funny, then you'd probably be a racist and there's no getting around that. Same applies here.

lupinko

I enjoyed both specials but the Austin one had lots of material I already experienced in person in Vancouver many years back.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
lol @ everyone excusing his bad trans 'jokes' because they are provocative. Wu-Tang making an exclusive album for Martin Shkreli was provocative, too.

I'm reluctant to engage in the most humorless discussion about comedy in the history of the internet, but here's how things played out at the time:

-Dave had jokes. Several of the craziest, most "holy shit" offensive jokes from the Austin taping are, from what I'm told (haven't watched 'em yet), not present at all in the Netflix edit. Nothing to do with trans folks. Hell of a thing, though. His flow wasn't perfect and there was a horrible heckler incident that he handled really well and bounced back strong from, and overall the highs were incredible that the slower sections didn't matter.

-Dave said a few bits about trans issues and trans people that I did not think were funny at all, and I cringed hard when he used "tranny" etc. Keep in mind that this took place two years ago, right on the cusp of social consciousness broadening about trans issues 101 on a mainstream level, and having a baseline understanding about trans issues, especially up to that point, was typically requiring nothing short of direct intervention.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of instances of this right here on NeoGAF, where someone would walk in from the world at large to a thread involving trans issues with ignorant positions that they didn't generally understand to be harmful because of cultural norms and typically limited first hand experiences with trans people. Most of those folks -- rather than banned on the spot, well, at least after a staff change or two -- were able to be pulled aside, talked to in a civil fashion, and when they were the sort of person who wants to respect and preserve the dignity of their fellow human being as a general baseline, it was usually usually a smooth enough process to get them up to speed with how not to be an asshole on trans issues and use preferred pronouns and all the rest. People intent on remaining dicks got booted. Not an easy process whatsoever, and it took years, but we've come a hell of a long way.

Anyway, at the time of the show two years ago, Dave came off as just another someone who hadn't been pulled aside and brought up to speed and educated about trans issues 101. Nothing wrong with calling out the things he said in the special, but the above context may help a little.

Leatherface

Sorry some of you were so offended but this is a dumpster fire so I'm out at this point. Can't argue opinions. This will just go in circles until the thread is locked.

I just want to say to all the transgendered GAF members here, much love and respect. I mean that. ✌️

Sorry some of you were so offended but this is a dumpster fire so I'm out at this point. Can't argue opinions. This will just go in circles until the thread is locked.

I just want to say to all the transgendered GAF members here, much love and respect. I mean that. ✌️

'transgender,' not 'transgendered'

Trey

I enjoyed both specials but the Austin one had lots of material I already experienced in person in Vancouver many years back.

Yeah the first one was the fresher of the two. I heard about half of his Austin material when I saw him live about a year ago.

LionPride

Banned

I feel like they won't believe you for a few reasons

MastAndo

If you laughed at a white person making an unfunny joke about black people while using the term 'niggers', and try to shut down the black people who didn't think it was funny, then you'd probably be a racist and there's no getting around that. Same applies here.
Is that what's happening here? Hardly surprising, but this thread generally reads more like a group deciding what another group might find offensive, not necessarily that group speaking for themselves, as per your example.

Is that what's happening here? Hardly surprising, but this thread generally reads more like a group deciding what another group might find offensive, not necessarily that group speaking for themselves, as per your example.

Can you elaborate as to why you think that trans people aren't in this thread criticizing the jokes?

Ketkat

Hi, I'm trans. I found the jokes offensive.

Dereck

"You got bout 20 minutes, before they send that robot to blow yo shit up"

"You better kiss that engineering homework goodbye Fuhad"

lmao

MastAndo

Can you elaborate as to why you think that trans people aren't in this thread criticizing the jokes?
Didn't say there weren't any, I said generally. The example in the quote was about shutting down black people for being offended, and I suppose it's just an assumption but I wouldn't be inclined to believe the majority/driving force of those offended in this thread are actually part of the transgender community. I certainly could be wrong.

I only mention it because I would personally be far more willing to hear out an actual member of an offended group as to their opinion on this matter, than those who think the onus is on them to decide what other groups might find offensive, day in and day out.

Didn't say there weren't any, I said generally. The example in the quote was about shutting down black people for being offended, and I suppose it's just an assumption but I wouldn't be inclined to believe the majority/driving force of those offended in this thread are actually part of the transgender community. I certainly could be wrong.

I only mention it because I would personally be far more willing to hear out an actual member of an offended group as to their opinion on this matter, than those who think the onus is on them to decide what other groups might find offensive, day in and day out.

There are plenty of people from the trans community, myself included, who are criticizing this, and indeed, no one that I know of from that community lambastes people for criticizing the joke as well.

Deepwater

"I mean, where are these so called trans people to confirm to us that tranny is offensive"

meanwhile happening at 5x as often

"Wow if you think that's offensive you just need to man up"

I'm glad you have your priorities sorted out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom