• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle on escaping fame, returning to stand-up with Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can see why he feels the way he does about the K&P credits, but wouldn't that also mean that he should have had other people's names who paved the way for him in the credits for his show too?

Yeah, I didn't really think what he said about them made much sense.

Other people paved the way for Dave to be able to make that show, too, but he didn't see fit to say that they created the Dave Chappelle show, it was his and his alone.
Exactly. It just makes him seem like a hater. I can understand overall resentment on how shit went down careerwise but the K&P shit is misguided.

Brinbe

Seen Dave twice since he took his hiatus, once at Radio City and then when he came to Toronto and I can't fucking wait. Just a super fan of his and I love that he came out ahead in the end. It's always good to see someone leave on top and also leave the good memories alone to be revered and enjoyed.

To have watched/enjoyed and been part of that cultural zeitgeist for those two/three years when Dave was on top is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Kids these days don't know, man.

Alphahawk

Yeah the Key and Peel comment seemed strange especially in the context " Ihave no problem with them except"

I mean I Love Lucy paved the way for sitcoms but you never heard Lucy 'O Balle complaining that she didn't recieve a "created by" credits for Cheers.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
To have watched/enjoyed and been part of that cultural zeitgeist for those two/three years when Dave was on top is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Kids these days don't know, man.

My ex, who was born in 1995, did not get 90% of the show when I introduced it to her. Classic as it might be for some, it was very much a time and place kinda thing. Dylan, black Bush, Wayne Brady...all over her head.

Shame this generation doesn't get it, because at the time there was literally nothing like it. My baby boomer old man was in love with the show when it was being aired.

holy shit specials are tomorrow

yes pls.

good interview. the snippets of his life are entirely fascinating. he made the right choice leaving and finding himself i think

I love Dave but I take umbrage with what he said about Key and Peele. It's the crab in a bucket thing again - Dave left his show and expected the Earth to be salted of his comedy and format, then two guys take up the mantle and he wants to get mad. If you're so mad about it you should never have left! Don't drag these two down because they had success.

There seems to be a lot of animosity from (Black) comedians towards Key and Peele - the other day I saw something on Youtube where Aries Spears was trying to Undercover say "they aren't Black enough" and "the black community doesn't support them". Aries Spears had his heyday a generation ago on the same sketch comedy show that Key and Peele debuted on. He decided to pattern his act on tired "Black people/White People" jokes and lame ass impressions and got nowhere with it. Now he wants to talk about other people not being "supported by Blacks"? His argument is just as washed up as his comedy is.

I love Dave but I take umbrage with what he said about Key and Peele. It's the crab in a bucket thing again - Dave left his show and expected the Earth to be salted of his comedy and format, then two guys take up the mantle and he wants to get mad. If you're so mad about it you should never have left! Don't drag these too down because they had success.

There seems to be a lot of animosity from (Black) comedians towards Key and Peele - the other day I saw something on Youtube where Aries Spears was trying to Undercover say "they aren't Black enough" and "the black community doesn't support them". Aries Spears had his heyday a generation ago on the same sketch comedy show that Key and Peele debuted on. He decided to pattern his act on tired "Black people/White People" jokes and lame ass impressions and got nowhere with it. Now he wants to talk about other people not being "supported by Blacks"? His argument is just as washed up as his comedy is.
Thecoli used to have this weird hate against Key and Peele.

Was hoping for new material but these two specials are from 2015 and 2016 material. Netflix basicallly paid for archive stuff.

Most of the material we've got from Dave since the mid 00s has been bootlegged phone-cam stuff. This is a welcome addition, older material or not.

Grakl

My ex, who was born in 1995, did not get 90% of the show when I introduced it to her. Classic as it might be for some, it was very much a time and place kinda thing. Dylan, black Bush, Wayne Brady...all over her head.

Shame this generation doesn't get it, because at the time there was literally nothing like it. My baby boomer old man was in love with the show when it was being aired.
I was born in 95 and understand the show and his standup, it's not really a time and place thing, he's still relevant lol

DominoKid

Dave just gotta let the folks know K&P just a pale imitation so Comedy Central could try and catch his magic. They had a couple good skits but they can't even shine his shoes.

Born in 95 here. I totally understood Chappelle show when it was at top. My brother absolutely loved the show, so I had to watch it frequently. Great show.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Really? How is that out there? He's not even the first comedian to say that. Let's be honest he used two big words and it threw everything off.

He's talking about the corporate input & control of The Chappelle Show content that CC had earlier in its runtime. Clearly the long form controversial comedy sketch wasn't very prevalent before Chapelle Show. No one was really doing that. It clearly paved the way for Key & Peele making less immediate comedy sketches. So to see them sort of take ownership of that was disheartening which makes sense, although I'm sure there's no way CC would've allowed K&P to pay homage in any more obvious ways. Alot of their show was borrowed and we all know it.

The format predates Chapelle by decades. Monty Python was doing 'long form controversial comedy sketch' in the 1960s

Nudull

Banned
I love Dave but I take umbrage with what he said about Key and Peele. It's the crab in a bucket thing again - Dave left his show and expected the Earth to be salted of his comedy and format, then two guys take up the mantle and he wants to get mad. If you're so mad about it you should never have left! Don't drag these two down because they had success.

Might have something to do with them being mixed race, and unfortunately, some folks like to challenge others on their "blackness".

ReiGun

Just watched one if the specials. Great stuff, but I'd be lying if I said the bits on
trans and gay rights
weren't tough to get through.

Thecoli hates damn near everything though.

Great site for memes. Terrible for almost everything else.

Slayven

Ares Spears is a fuckboy, that is known. Dude is mad his career sucks, largely due to him. Most of the valid criticism to key and peel i seen is their early reliance on "aren't black people weird" jokes.

He's said a lot of questionable transphobic shit in recent years. He did an interview a few months back where he basically defended Donald's sexual assault and showed this strange resentment towards LGBT and women's rights activists. It just had me worried his comeback, he's done some really great stuff in the past.
Uhh

He's a comedian man. Its literally his job to make fun of everything and anything.

Boem

If the jokes aren't funny then yeah you may have a point.

But If the crowd is laughing then he's free to say whatever imo

With that logic we should all think it's fine when Trump shouts about Mexicans being rapists and an entire stadium full of people starts cheering. Don't think that's a good defense, lots of idiotic crowds out there. Chapelle himself has talked about getting frustrated that people don't understand his comedy and start repeating it without understanding what he was actually saying, twisting the original intent.

Not even Dave Chapelle is immune to criticism. He can take it, he's intelligent enough to respond to that conversation. I do believe you can joke about anything, but you need to be smart about it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If the jokes aren't funny then yeah you may have a point.

But If the crowd is laughing then he's free to say whatever imo

This isn't quite right. A comedian can get away with almost anything if they frame a joke in a really clever and unique way, but "getting away with it" is a natural result because anybody who might otherwise be offended by it sees the joke for the value it has.

If a joke has no value to those people who might be offended, then it is going to go over very poorly with that group.

Comedians don't get carte blanche to say any dumb ass thing that comes into their heads without any repercussions.

That's part of the reason Chapelle hates video of his performances. Because when you're working out how to deliver a risky joke, you don't really want the failures going wide.

iddqd

Video sadly not working in Canada,
what was that youtube thing you could do to watch blocked videos outside the US?
It was a small link change but I forgot.

Peltz

On one hand, we probably missed out on a LOT of amazing Chappelle's Show and movies.

On the other hand, we didn't have to potentially watch him go down the Eddie Murphy / Martin Lawrence / Richard Pryor path

I think it's for the best that his career went this way. But I'm interested to see if he still has his edge. His old stand up felt real. I'm going to watch tonight or tomorrow depending on work.

No comedian seems to stay as funny or in their prime after they get really famous. But I hope he avoided that.

Toparaman

Banned
Dave just gotta let the folks know K&P just a pale imitation so Comedy Central could try and catch his magic. They had a couple good skits but they can't even shine his shoes.

K&P skits never struck me as imitating Chappellle. I think the only reason they get compared to Chappelle at all is because they're black and their comedy is almost as smart and witty as Chappelle's. Not quite, but certainly as close as we've gotten since Chappelle left the air.

IrishNinja

That's how I felt at the time. I loved Dave and Chappelle's Show is my favorite sketch comedy show of all time. When he walked and K&P came on I had never heard of them and I absolutely felt it was CC trying to find a "black" replacement show as quickly as possible to fill the gap.

I realize now that they are totally different styles comedically but at the time I didn't give them a chance.

I actually grew up 10min away from the small town in Ohio he lives in. I visit there all of the time. It's very easy to see Dave wandering around. He would even come into the Target I used to work at quite often several years ago. Good dude.

Yeah, I actually sold him a TV at the Best Buy I used to work at by the Dayton Mall long long ago. I knew who he was, but it was before his show so I wouldn't say he was really big yet. Cool dude.

Alphahawk

That's how I felt at the time. I loved Dave and Chappelle's Show is my favorite sketch comedy show of all time. When he walked and K&P came on I had never heard of them and I absolutely felt it was CC trying to find a "black" replacement show as quickly as possible to fill the gap.

I realize now that they are totally different styles comedically but at the time I didn't give them a chance.

Six years seems like a long time to find a "fast replacement"

Gusto

I just finished watching both and noticed that in the Austin show, Evilore was sitting front row. Kinda awesome man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom