• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Filoni Becomes Chief Creative Officer of LucasFilm

Jinzo Prime

Dave Filoni is expanding his footprint in a galaxy far, far away. The longtime Star Wars force has been named chief creative officer at Lucasfilm.

“In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into it, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways,” Filoni told Vanity Fair, which broke the news.

Filoni will now be involved in the early development on Star Wars projects, working with Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy and head of development Carrie Beck.

Little Mac

He's earned it.

"Filoni realized a lifelong dream in 2005 when he was selected by George Lucas to help build Lucasfilm’s animation studio from the ground up and create the company’s first series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

DKehoe

Wonder if this leak from his Heir To The Empire script factored into it

k1lKaaS.jpg

ManaByte

He's earned it.

"Filoni realized a lifelong dream in 2005 when he was selected by George Lucas to help build Lucasfilm’s animation studio from the ground up and create the company’s first series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars."
George taught him everything he knows. So you’re going to get pure George Star Wars distilled through Filoni. All dancing Midichorlians are coming.

AJUMP23

Asoka had some good but it was pretty mediocre across the whole run. It is good to put someone that actually cares about Star Wars at the helm And understands the lore.

I will be cautiously optimistic.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How does he feel about Indiana Jones? I still hold out hope for a 1920's "not young but maybe doctorate student" Indy getting into shenanigans, meeting Belloque, learning from Ravenwood, hitting Marion on the sly, etc. Either animated (thus no hitting Marion on the sly) or live action, just make the damned thing FUN and actually have Indy influence the outcome for a change!

FunkMiller

This is a great move.

After all, it's not like the clone wars / ahsoka / animated stuff is only liked by a small minority of the audience, is it?

tkscz

I didn't really get into Clone Wars but admittedly I was biased towards Genndy Tartakovsky's 2-D animated Clone Wars. Didn't watch Rebels at all and Ahsoka, IMO, was just badly written.

People give him credit for the first season of The Mandalorean but it was more of a team effort with Jon Favreau than Dave by himself. I don't know if I see him doing any better than KK honestly.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

Rey has died. Finn has died. Poe has died. Holdo has been resurrected, and then died. The Force has manifested itself solely to piss standing up.

Amid this rancorous time of upheaval in the New Republic, Flea from the RHCP has finally finished his training and can slap little girls just as good as he slaps his space-bass.

Disparate forces from across the galaxy come together to fight a seemingly hopeless battle against The Fandom Menace, a group of separatists who aim to undo all of Rey Skywalker's achievements...​

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

Rey has died. Finn has died. Poe has died. Holdo has been resurrected, and then died. The Force has manifested itself solely to piss standing up.

Amid this rancorous time of upheaval in the New Republic, Flea from the RHCP has finally finished his training and can slap little girls just as good as he slaps his space-bass.

Disparate forces from across the galaxy come together to fight a seemingly hopeless battle against The Fandom Menace, a group of separatists who aim to undo all of Rey Skywalker's achievements...
…thousands of years after the Skywalker Saga…

Liamario

Banned
George Lucas's successor. That's not a good thing. Lucas gets way too much credit for the success of Star Wars. A New Hope was apparently awful until his then wife edited it to hell and the prequels only showed how damaging he was to the success of Star Wars.

Get rid of Filoni and Kennedy and get someone in there who knows what Star Wars is.

jcorb

I didn't really get into Clone Wars but admittedly I was biased towards Genndy Tartakovsky's 2-D animated Clone Wars. Didn't watch Rebels at all and Ahsoka, IMO, was just badly written.

People give him credit for the first season of The Mandalorean but it was more of a team effort with Jon Favreau than Dave by himself. I don't know if I see him doing any better than KK honestly.

I mean, that's fair. I definitely think Season 1 of The Mandalorian is the absolutely height of the franchise, and it sure seemed more like Jon Favreau's show. Season 2 was a bit forgettable, and while I enjoyed Season 3, it felt like it was on a knife's edge of going to crap.

Ahsoka wasn't really my jam, but it was inoffensive. Rosario Dawson will always be worth watching, but I hope they're able to do something big and epic with Thrawn. Lord knows that the most diehard fans have been squawking about him for long enough, I hope he can live up to that hype.

Top Bottom