• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Pumpkins to get his own Animated Special

We've gone too far.

david-s-pumpkins-halloween-special-slice-600x200.jpg

Per the press release, “Set in a small suburban town on All Hallows’ Eve, the special centers on David Pumpkins and his skeleton sidekicks who show a young boy and his sister the true meaning of Halloween, answering none of their questions along the way.” Mikey Day and Bobby Moynihan, who played the skeletons in the sketch, will have voiceover roles as will sketch co-creator Streeter Seidell along with Peter Dinklage. Hopefully, Dinklage’s involvement means we’ll get a “Space Pants” animated special at some point.

http://collider.com/david-s-pumpkin...utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

Zubz

Banned
Man, they're going to kill this aren't they?

I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. Part of what made the sketch good was how unexpected it was, but also how shoehorned David S/ Pumpkins was into the ride. The former can't easily be replicated, & the latter means they're walking a thin-line trying to to shoehorn him into day-to-day life.

Man, I was shown this sketch recently since I don't watch SNL, but it was by far the most painfully unfunny thing I've ever seen. Now it's getting an animated special? Who is this for?

He was the focus of literally one sketch, and cameoed in another. This is too much, too soon.

Then again, maybe it’s best to just do one animated special and get it out of the way.

Just have David S. Pumpkins show up every five Halloweens on SNL or something after that.

Jmille99

Im sure this will become a Halloween staple every year for people. Right up there with "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

border

Still can't find the David S. Pumpkins suit available for purchase anywhere.

I wish they would whore this thing out some more.

Dyle

I'm so in the weeds with David Pumpkins...

Will this sketch feature David Pumpkins, David S. Pumpkins, or one of the clones of David Pumpkins introduced in the sketches that are considered not to be part of the proper canon by many fans? As long as they don't feature that awful evil twin David X. Pumpkins I can't see myself being too disappointed though

Please don't milk this to death, the original sketch is great because it's completely random and absurd

Zubz

Banned
Man, I was shown this sketch recently since I don't watch SNL, but it was by far the most painfully unfunny thing I've ever seen. Now it's getting an animated special? Who is this for?

Probably people that liked the sketch. It's absurdist humor, but humor nonetheless. And for a lot of people, it clicked.

Im sure this will become a Halloween staple every year for people. Right up there with "Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

I mean, they successfully have older people believing the Elf on a Shelf was an old tradition dating back to the far-off year of 2010, so who knows anymore?

border

Too much too soon?

You guys would have lost your friggin' minds in the 1990's. Wayne's World, It's Pat, The Butabi Brothers, Stuart Smalley, Mary Katherine Gallagher, and The Ladies' Man all went directly to major motion pictures.....

Too much too soon?

You guys would have lost your friggin' minds in the 1990's. Wayne's World, It's Pat, The Butabi Brothers, Stuart Smalley, Mary Katherine Gallagher, and The Ladies' Man all went directly to major motion pictures.....

And only one of those was actually good. Your point is?

zeemumu

Too much too soon?

All dwarfed by the Goodburger movie

Kinyou

Mikey Day and Bobby Moynihan, who played the skeletons in the sketch, will have voiceover roles as will sketch co-creator Streeter Seidell along with Peter Dinklage. Hopefully, Dinklage's involvement means we'll get a ”Space Pants" animated special at some point.

Wait, is Tom Hanks even involved?

Was David S Pumpkin's mainstream America's first taste of "loL-s0-RanDom!1!!" humor or something? I got a smirk from the original, but cannot believe how funny everyone and their mother thought it was.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Too much too soon?

The problem is we have the internet now. People have rewatched the sketch ad infinitum because they can.

The character is pretty much a blank slate, they could do whatever with him in a 30 minute cartoon. I'm not ready to write it off yet.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The sketch is funny as a one off, but wasn’t even the funniest Tom Hanks with straight man Keenan and kooky Leslie sketch on that episode. #BlackJeopardy #NotADamnThing
Edit: Still, I’ll watch

Was David S Pumpkin's mainstream America's first taste of "loL-s0-RanDom!1!!" humor or something? I got a smirk from the original, but cannot believe how funny everyone and their mother thought it was.

Nah, it's just a funny sketch with a super likable guy in it.

That a 22-minute TV special is not over-extending the character's humor or flexibility.

I could really see it going either way. There's so much mystery surrounding David Pumpkins. I hope this goes into his backstory more so than just playing out the same sketch they already did.

Zubz

Banned

Yes, It's Pat. That pinnacle of good ideas for a 3-minute sketch, evolved into the pinnacle of good ideas for a movie. I sure am glad we got that 78 minute movie about someone trying to determine the gender of an androgynous individual and their equally-androgynous partner.

Outside of Wayne's World & potentially MacGruber/Night at the Roxbury (Never saw them), these SNL's movies were bad ideas deserving of criticism at that time, just as this is now.

2.5 times in a year is too much too soon?

For a Halloween-themed character whose bit, though funny, was one-note & relied on the absurdity of the character? Yup. He's like a horror movie monster, fittingly enough. The less you know about him, the better he works.

Wait, is Tom Hanks even involved?

He was teasing a return of David Pumpkins just a few weeks ago, so I thought he would be coming back? Speaking of that thread...

Good call.

Top Bottom