• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn of War 3 announced soon? SoA has website

Sijil

Yes please, give it the tactical layer from DOW 2 coupled with the scale of Dark Crusade. DoW 3 is long overdue and I need to burn some Chaos worshipping heretics.

Only sad thing is there won't be any mod support since it'a a GW game.

BlackRock

I truly hope so. I adore the DOW games. Truly wonderful news if true. I wonder how the loss of personnel at Relic due to the THQ bankruptcy might affect this, though. Anyone have an ear to the ground at Relic about that?

I'll agree with many of you that I like the smaller, more tactical scale of the second game, but I wouldn't mind some more levels of strategy either. The base building does lend a certain strategic element to the early game as you have to choose carefully how to spend scarce resources, how aggressively to tech, whether to rush, etc. I do certainly prefer the environmental cover, facings, suppression, and lack of unit spamming in the second game however. Maybe some happy medium can be found. The multiplayer the second game was very unique and quite addictive once understood. Excited to see what Relic could do.

Lucumo

Loved the original Dawn of War, didn't like the second title in the series at all. So I hope they include base-building again. But I highly doubt that.

Pooya

Second game was quite boring, their tactical combat from CoH didn't translate well at all here. Fights took too long in the campaign and it was repetitive as hell. DoW1 campaigns were just so much better. I don't expect Relic to focus much on single player these days or this game to be anything like the first one, if anything it will probably even further 'tactical'. Wondering how many commanders are for sale in this one! /s

Well... I'm also hoping a return to Dawn of War 1 type of gameplay, I didn't like DOW 2 that much.

Considering DOW2, there's a significant risk the game turns to MOBA though. It wouldn't be such a jump compared to a return to DOW1's base building gameplay... Anyway, for base building, there's still the new Act of War.

Lucumo

It really sucks how they started using ingame models for the opening movies in the rest of the expansions, the Dark Crusade one was still cool but Soul Storm's intro was just awful.

I know, right...and Winter Assault had no new opening in general. The addons were so disappointing in that regard.

roytheone

Good, had a lot of fun with Dawn of War 2. I am more of a base building RTS guy myself (starcraft/ command and conquer/battle for middle earth II), but with so little RTS games coming out lately, I will take everything I can get! Man, so sad that the glory days of the RTS genre are behind us :( With PC gaming winning in popularity lately you would think a renaissance of some kind would come, but it looks like everyone just want to make a MOBA and close it down 2 weeks after the official launch (if it gets an official launch at all!).

Lanrutcon

I loved (looooved) configuring my squad in DoW2. By the time I was stylin' the final difficulty level I had everything down to a friggin artform.

Did you guys know that that special item in the game only drops once per campaign? so if you're suppose to get a certain drop (but it's already happened) the loot table has to go find an alternative item. So, essentially, you can just keep replaying an early stage to get every item in the game (play until you get the loot, then cancel out of the mission, repeat). I used to farm all the level 18/19/20 uniques while I was like, level 4.

And Cypher was just completely broken by the time the second campaign rolled out.

Agreed on no base building. There's always CoH for that.

Honestly I don't see how they can fuck up DoW3 unless they turn it into a MOBA or something.

Uhhh I wouldn't call CoH a base building RTS. You just made 4-5 buildings with most nations, only one of each type, and their construction served to determine when you unlock the next tier of units. Not that different of unlocking a tier with a button in the HQ.

Yes please, give it the tactical layer from DOW 2 coupled with the scale of Dark Crusade.

Game design doesn't work like that. You can't mix the features of a tactical small squad game with the big scale of another game. Well, you can but it would triple or quadruple the micro needed, and I don't think most people want that.

GamesCom would be an incredibly appropriate venue given it's a PC heavy show.

Dawn of War 2 is my favorite game ever.

Next to Natural Selection 2, it is my main played game on steam.
Like others, I'm heavily in favour of the DoW1 style.

But with the campaign coop of DoW2.

I still think infield reinforcement makes DoW 1 completely unfun to play. It was awesome back then, but having to micromanage infield reinforcement... ehhhhhhh. I would rather seek cover and use abililties.

Pooya

CoH had quite a few very powerful defensive buildings which helped holding a zone and it was a blast playing turtle. They toned that down a lot in 2... British are all about that.

Still buildings were expensive and destroying a factory pretty much wins the game, you can't do that when you just call in units off map or just one central building that has tons of health and when you kill it you win anyway type of games. You could do effective tactics like laying mines in front of factories too. in 2 units come from map border IIRC, haven't played it in ages. Pretty sure CoH2 wasn't even meant to have any base building originally, the buildings looked terrible and they are all very small trench like things and not very distinguishable, some late design changes and quick assets to go with them maybe :b

Base building was a lot more notable in DoW1 though yeah.

Sijil

Game design doesn't work like that. You can't mix the features of a tactical small squad game with the big scale of another game. Well, you can but it would triple or quadruple the micro needed, and I don't think most people want that.

Worked for Company of Heroes, CoH was much larger in scale than DoW 2 and had more tactical options. Of CoH didn't have the same scale as DoW 1 tho but they can achieve something close.

Have any of y'all played Wargame: Airland Battle? I'd like a 40k game like that with turn based strategy maps

Airland Battle was my first OT so I am bias

ArjanN

I am definitely in the DoW2 > DoW1 camp. Base building in a 40k game just feels silly to me.

The only thing 1 has over 2 is that it's a more traditional RTS, so people specifically looking for that type of game might prefer it, but DoW2 is really just the better game overall.

DoW2 & Retribution were amazing. Gonna have to give Chaos Rising a proper try soon. But in general I don't get on well with RTSes (I gave up on CoH about 4 missions in), but the style of DoW2 was great. Hope DoW3 comes out soon. Using the Dreadnought in DoW2 was the SHIT. "even in death I serve"..so badass

Enosh

I loved DoW2, but I'll admit the campaign kinda dragged a bit on certain points especially towards the end due to the overuse of "defend shrine/whatever" missions there were always like 3 defense missions up and for the best ending you had to cleanse all the shit and tyranids as villains are really kinda shit

now Chaos Rising, that's GOAT! probably my favorite campaign in an "rts" (sorry don't really have a better term for it, I think it reminds me more of commandos series more than anything, just without the stealth part)
the new planet looked great, all missions were unique and had some great scripted sequences, the space hulk was pretty cool, and the story with chaos was much better, you can just do so much more with chaos as villains than you can do with the nids

CoH had quite a few very powerful defensive buildings which helped holding a zone and it was a blast playing turtle. They toned that down a lot in 2... British are all about that.

Still buildings were expensive and destroying a factory pretty much wins the game, you can't do that when you just call in units off map or just one central building that has tons of health and when you kill it you win anyway type of games. You could do effective tactics like laying mines in front of factories too. in 2 units come from map border IIRC, haven't played it in ages. Pretty sure CoH2 wasn't even meant to have any base building originally, the buildings looked terrible and they are all very small trench like things and not very distinguishable, some late design changes and quick assets to go with them maybe :b

Base building was a lot more notable in DoW1 though yeah.

CoH2 buildings do indeed look awful, although that started improving (visually) with the expansion, the USF base is pre-built and looks nice although has problems of its own with unit pathing.

They made every unit appear from the off-map spawn points like call-in units did, because that way it normalized the amount of time it took for units to arrive and removed the "build construction buildings as far forward as possible" and base cramping that sometimes happened in CoH1 because of it.

I'd say that was one of the improvements, although there are certainly problems with CoH2 in general.

ArjanN

I loved DoW2, but I'll admit the campaign kinda dragged a bit on certain points especially towards the end due to the overuse of "defend shrine/whatever" missions there were always like 3 defense missions up and for the best ending you had to cleanse all the shit and tyranids as villains are really kinda shit

now Chaos Rising, that's GOAT! probably my favorite campaign in an "rts" (sorry don't really have a better term for it, I think it reminds me more of commandos series more than anything, just without the stealth part)
the new planet looked great, all missions were unique and had some great scripted sequences, the space hulk was pretty cool, and the story with chaos was much better, you can just do so much more with chaos as villains than you can do with the nids

Oh, Chaos Rising definitely had the best campaign, but when I say DoW2 in my mind I include Chaos Rising with that.

I also enjoyed that the campaign, the multiplayer and the last stand mode were essentially 3 different games. The upgrades/tactics etc are all very different in each mode.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Please be more like the first game than the second...

Please.

For the Emperor. And me.
The problem with that is that it would occupy the same space as Starcraft 2. By going tactical it carves its own niche. And smashing ork skull is more fun than building anyway.

is there any chance that this is actually the Creative Assembly Warhammer game that's in development but is now re-branded to be part of the other series?

I mean, its just kinda nutty that Sega would have two distinct Warhammer RTS's in development concurrently.

Dennis

Banned
Better To Kill A Thousand Too Many Than One Too Few!

Suffer Not The Heretic To Live!

Blessed Are The Ignorant!

For The Emperor!

4Tran

The problem with that is that it would occupy the same space as Starcraft 2. By going tactical it carves its own niche. And smashing ork skull is more fun than building anyway.
Neither of the Dawn of War games are anything like Starcraft 2 though.

is there any chance that this is actually the Creative Assembly Warhammer game that's in development but is now re-branded to be part of the other series?

I mean, its just kinda nutty that Sega would have two distinct Warhammer RTS's in development concurrently.
There's no chance that this is happening. The Total War games are extremely distinct from any other RTS games, and Total War: Warhammer is also almost certain to be the more high profile project. Besides, we already know a lot about that game, and none of these known features would work in a Dawn of War title.

Yeah sc2 is really quite different than dow series, even the original with base building. They are the same genre but the focus of the gameplay seems much different. For example, DOW is all about grabbing and retaining resource points. It seems to be much more about macro strategy and control as well. I never played the MP though.

SC2 is much smaller armies, smaller focused, micro focused really - at least in comparison to DoW.

I do think CoH2 is closer to the level of base building that should be present than DoW1 or DoW2, which are both much more extreme. You can construct forward defences and obstacles, but bases themselves are highly limited and you don't build a lot of emplacements (unless you're a noob).

No in-field reinforcements is a no-brainer, except in specific cases of elite infantry that can reinforce near drop-zones / beacons.

Just have to lower infantry lethality a bit so that there's a higher chance of units surviving to close quarters and otherwise it's a pretty good fit.

Stiler

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt these games (And CoH) were held back by the base building/resource management.

I think they'd work a lot better was RTT style of RTS games, ditch the base building/upgrading/building of units and allow a set-number of units per level/map, with zero replacements and have people make use of what they get to make it through the match (either mp or sp).

In MP you could assign a point system to this, similar to how the Myth games did it.

At the start of the match players pick what units they want (with the bigger/better units costing more points) so it's balanced out, leave it up to the players to decide what they want to use and let them use tactics and pure combat to make it through the mission.

Coolluck

I'd rather have a TD than what 2 was. So disappointing. Can't force myself through that game. I hope 3 is more traditional.

Sijil

I always wondered if an Iron man mode would be feasible in a DoW RTS, consider a standard chapter is limited to 1 thousand Space Marine and they're supposed to be tough as hell and hard to kill so in an Iron Man mode you'll a limited pool of 1 thousand overpowered Space Marines.

Jinaar

I only have 350hrs played in DoW II + expansions. DoWIII would be like having a first born. So exited! (edit: bone!)

Wiktor

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt these games (And CoH) were held back by the base building/resource management.

I think they'd work a lot better was RTT style of RTS games, ditch the base building/upgrading/building of units and allow a set-number of units per level/map, with zero replacements and have people make use of what they get to make it through the match (either mp or sp).

In MP you could assign a point system to this, similar to how the Myth games did it.

At the start of the match players pick what units they want (with the bigger/better units costing more points) so it's balanced out, leave it up to the players to decide what they want to use and let them use tactics and pure combat to make it through the mission.
Yep. This is what I would like too. The point system is in the tabletop version anywa and work best to me.

In campaign I would like to see some strategy elements in form of managing the spaceship used to travel between planets.Sure, but not in battles. Even the little in DOW2 was a bit too much for me.
Ideally SP-wise DOW3 would be like real-time version of XCOM, only with mobile base.

Top Bottom