• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day Care Gets Racist Letter Demanding They Fire Black Employee For Being Too Dark

DLRMTzLXUAAtMV2.jpg
https://twitter.com/CyrussQuaye/sta....snopes.com/2017/10/06/racist-daycare-letter/
Dominique McKelley, owner of Bridge 2 Creative Learning Center in Whitehall, said an envelope addressed to her arrived Tuesday with no return address.

Inside were two identical letters — one addressed to her and another to one of her workers — urging the center to fire one of its black workers because of her dark skin color. The letter was posted on social media by staff who condemned its content, and has since gone viral.

”This is not OK," McKelley said, her voice occasionally wavering with emotion. ”It's gone too far — this hatred. Now you're targeting a day care center?"

Whitehall police Chief Michael Marks said he has never seen a letter so offensive in his 20 years in police work.

”It's disturbing. This is not something you want to see in your community," Marks said. ”This is something we as a police department are going to take very seriously."

Marks said such a letter could carry harassment and ethnic intimidation charges, though he conceded locating the sender is tricky. He said there have been no similar incidents reported in the township.

The day care already has security measures in place for the safety of its children, but McKelley said staff is on added alert. Staff members are leaving the facility in pairs so no one is alone.

McKelley briefed her staff on the letter and said she was nervous about revealing it to the worker who was unnamed in the letter but believed to be the target.

”I didn't want her to have to read something like this," she said.

McKelley choked up recounting the experience.

”She started crying. She looked scared," McKelley said of her employee. ”She said she was going to quit. But I convinced her to stay. This has gotten everyone here so fired up.

”To see that look on her face when she read it ... it just gets to you."

The writer of the letter, purported to be a parent, threatened to pull his or her children from the center because the worker's skin was too dark.

Quaye said the staff rallied around their co-worker, who is quiet and devoted to the kids in her care.

"Here, we treat our staff like family. We've all been trying to put a smile on her face," Quaye said. "This has assured me how strong she is. I look up to her for standing up and staying here. This is where she belongs."

Tyrone Russell, coordinator for racial and ethnic justice for Community Action Committee of the Lehigh Valley, said the country's current climate has made speech such as the letter common though most people still find it unacceptable.

”I know the culture of the United States right now is very divided. I can see someone like this playing on this division," Russell said. ”Most people don't think like this but there are always knuckleheads that want to stir the pot."

Russell said it was important for law enforcement to condemn such remarks, even if the likelihood of finding the culprit is slim.

”This is what I call invisible violence. It starts when things are said and before something gets done," Russell said. ”If nothing gets done, these people feel like they can take it to the next step."

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-whitehall-daycare-racist-letter-20171006-story.html

The image tweeted by the employee identified as ”Lexi" soon went viral, causing her to receive threats from Trump supporters that led her to hire a lawyer.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/ma...enter-after-they-hire-a-too-dark-black-woman/

Yopis

Horrible stuff. Things are trending to a bad place. No person should need to read garbage like that.

legacyzero

Banned
“Concerned Parent”

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I fucking hate this country. Also, with all the grammar mistakes and typos, the fact that you typed and printed it literally makes it look worse lmao

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The level of hatred in that letter...

The world would clearly become a better place as soon as that person died.

Aselith

At least they put it in a cheery font? Racism goes down better with a healthy application of good comic sans

Nothing like racist and threatening under some bullshit guise of protecting children who obviously wouldn’t care and trying to help. It’s wrong to the point where the writer knew it was wrong but was trying to convince themselves it was right.

Grug

The comments section in that article is interesting.

A bit confusing but it looks like people are accusing a fellow worker at the daycare center of writing it - they even name her and say she's a drug abuser/convicted criminal.

jwk94

That... That can't be real. It reads like a parody. I fully believe in the racism angle, but the letter itself... The mortgage and making the daycare great again? Really?

TheOGB

Banned
Writing a letter to someone using that font is fucking disgusting in itself, but the content is even worse.

The comments section in that article is interesting.

A bit confusing but it looks like people are accusing a fellow worker at the daycare center of writing it - they even name her and say she's a drug abuser/convicted criminal.

Maybe don't regurgitate what trolls in comment sections write?

If I got a letter with font like that I would throw it in the bin without reading.

Racist scum probably thought the font would make it seem less racist and more playful.

America needs to get its crap together.

Blackage

That reads like a troll letter from somebody who's not actually a parent at the daycare but who thinks it'd be funny/hilarious to send it with the over the top "Look I'm super racist and a Trump supporter due to the last line! LOOK HOW RACIST I AM."

It's just childish internet dribble, whoever wrote it needs to grow the fuck up.

kmax

The person that wrote this should come forward.

If you have certain beliefs, don't hide like a coward.

That reads like a troll letter from somebody who's not actually a parent at the daycare but who thinks it'd be funny/hilarious to send it with the over the top "Look I'm super racist and a Trump supporter due to the last line! LOOK HOW RACIST I AM."

It's just childish internet dribble, whoever wrote it needs to grow the fuck up.

Day Care Centre also believes it wasn't a parent.

theaface

Won't it be interesting to see which kid(s) depart the daycare centre in the near future?

Fucking cowardly low-life trash.

Honestly, thinking things like this will stop happening is a pipe dream. Most everything in our society upholds a white standard of beauty so this kinda stuff should be expected

eXistor

That letter reads like a joke (and that fucking font man). I mean, my faith in humanity has never been high (or even in the positives to begin with), but this...this has to be a joke. Right? Please be a joke.

/edit: Hell even if it was a joke (I'm almost certain it is, the letter just checks too many boxes), that's some fucked up shit.

...Now why would young children who should know no better (or I guess, worse) be afraid of a woman with dark skin?

Methinks the racists doth protest too much.

TheOGB

Banned

I would rather it turn out to be a troll, because how fucking vile do you have to be to frame your racism as "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?"

fuck

jwk94

Yeah, a lot of racist crap's been going on but this is too on the nose.

RulkezX

That's all kinds of evil. You have to be a fucking mentalist to type that out.

Even if it is just a troll, there is still target and if imagine she felt like shit reading it.

Izuna

Banned
If I were the daycare and I really got this letter.

I'd respond with: "we won't take any action since there is no indication that this comes from a parent."

Bait and report.

Yeah, I also think it is fake

That letter reads like a joke (and that fucking font man). I mean, my faith in humanity has never been high (or even in the positives to begin with), but this...this has to be a joke. Right? Please be a joke.

Even if it was a bunch of idiot middle schoolers or something, I don't think you can defend this as a joke. Theres a deeper problem with that child's peers or parents if that's the case. People don't really just make "jokes" like that.

Red

It is apparently from someone familiar with the staff. Authorities should take the content seriously no matter who wrote it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I bet the daycare worker knows how to spell mortgage though.

You'd have thought so.

I love how the letter pulled the "I pay your wages" card. As if that was a valid reason for the racism contained within the letter.

“Concerned Parent”

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I fucking hate this country. Also, with all the grammar mistakes and typos, the fact that you typed and printed it literally makes it look worse lmao

So concerned that they couldn't own their racism as they wanted to remain anonymous. So cowards, as well as racist.

Here's a fact for you racist scumbags, children don't care about race, so trying to deflect your own racist views onto them isn't going to work.

Edit: to the people saying this is fake. Who other than parents and staff of the daycare would even know the make up of the staff? This wasn't a random trolling but an attack on a specific member of staff.

Someone either takes trolling seriously or knows enough about the place to be a potential source of harassment beyond the letter. Either way, it's 100% unacceptable.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Jesus Fucking Christ, what the hell is this shit.

I mean, literally and openly targeting someone due to skin color.

No, sure, trump won't empower racists! Yeah.

Top Bottom