• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nurse at Naval Hospital Taking Racist Photos with Newborns

white women are so vile

I've never seen the appeal in making sweeping statements like this.
I get it when it's about something like the systemic opression by police, but this feels different.
It's like you're baiting people to say "not all white women".

TBiddy

I think it's odd how it's now an established fact, that this was done out of racism, despite there being no proof (whatsoever) that the child was black or the family was black. This looks to be a case of two insane people physically abusing newborn babies.

Why do you assume it's because of the childs race? Is it the music?

I've never seen the appeal in making sweeping statements like this.

It's because you aren't a racist.

These two are going to face the music equal to severity of the crime, and then some. This is an environment where you can get written up just for failing to salute someone. Military has 0 qualms about doling out punishments Life is about to get pretty rough for them.

I hope it's brutal as fuck and they are competing with high schoolers for fucking shift work at McDonald's for their post prison life.

Royce McCutcheon

I think it's odd how it's now an established fact, that this was done out of racism, despite there being no proof (whatsoever) that the child was black or the family was black. This looks to be a case of two insane people physically abusing newborn babies.

Why do you assume it's because of the childs race? Is it the music?

It's because you aren't a racist.

What proof do you want? Was he supposed to come out blacker than the ace of spades? Can you make a case for why this isn't racist other than "Where's the prooof"

Elandyll

Banned
HIPAA violations alone can be criminal.
As well as handling a newborn incorrectly... "Making a newborn dance to rap"?

Newborn necks are particularly sensitive, the size and weight of their head increasing the potential for serious harm if handled without supporting it.

Not only is it probably a hate crime, and that should be investigated ("Satans", rap dance...), but she could also be sued for endangerment on top of HIPAA violations.

Just unbelievable...

TBiddy

What proof do you want? Was he supposed to come out blacker than the ace of spades? Can you make a case for why this isn't racist other than "Where's the prooof"

Unless there are a hidden set of photos I haven't seen, the babies I've seen are about the same color as my daughter had. How can you jump to the conclusion, that it's a black child?

As well as handling a newborn incorrectly... "Making a newborn dance to rap"?

Newborn necks are particularly sensitive, the size and weight of their head increasing the potential for serious harm if handled without supporting it.

Not only is it probably a hate crime, and that should be investigated ("Satans", rap dance...), but she could also be sued for endangerment on top of HIPAA violations.

Just unbelievable...

Oh man

The amount of violations committed here make for a long list

Its terrible

Unless there are a hidden set of photos I haven't seen, the babies I've seen are about the same color as my daughter had. How can you jump to the conclusion, that it's a black child?

You dont even need the racist angle to justify shit canning this lady

Extremely unprofessional and borderline dangerous

Royce McCutcheon

Easy, America hates black people and their children. So there no doubt that a evil women would do this to a black child, we've lived it, seen it. This ain't the new

TBiddy

You dont even need the racist angle to justify shit canning this lady

Extremely unprofessional and borderline dangerous

I absolutely agree. Not supporting the head of a newborn is dangerous and can lead to lasting injuries for the child. It's mindboggling how people like this were left alone with someone elses babies.

Easy, America hates black people and their children. So there no doubt that a evil women would do this to a black child, we've lived it, seen it. This ain't the new

So your reasoning is that "America is racist, therefore this must be an act of racism"? I'm sorry, but that seems farfetched.

Even if the child happens to be black that isn't proof it was done out of racism.

I absolutely agree. Not supporting the head of a newborn is dangerous and can lead to lasting injuries for the child. It's mindboggling how people like this were left alone with someone elses babies.

So your reasoning is that "America is racist, therefore this must be an act of racism"? I'm sorry, but that seems farfetched.

The viral post shared a photo from a Snapchat account that showed the employee giving the middle finger to a newborn, followed by a caption that read “How I currently feel about these mini Satans.” The post also read the “navy nurse” and her friend made a baby dance to rap music.

This is one of the lines from the OP but im not entirely sure of the context

Was it just a comment on the posted video or does it involve the employees attitude towards the children at the facility?

Either way this is where I thought the racist angle came in

Hagi

Arguing about whether this vile act was racist or not seems moot given they should get fucked for it either way. Disgusting pieces of trash should never be allowed to work near kids ever again.

Arguing about whether this vile act was racist or not seems moot given they should get fucked for it either way. Disgusting pieces of trash should never be allowed to work near kids ever again.

If a nurse EVER did this to my newborn oh man....

Just unacceptable

I'm really glad racists as a whole haven't figured out not to post their hateful shit on social media. Makes it really easy to spot the fuckheads.

watershed

Banned
Hmm, I find the video funny. But I also would understand why some people would me upset over it. However, my daughter is 10 months old and I've used her like a puppet to dance to all sorts of music.

This, I think, is the worst post in this thread. Who cares how you play with your own 10 month old infant? This nurse is at best unprofessional and at worst causing harm to these new born infants. Her actions are completely lacking in both professionalism and the basic human decency we expect from all people and much more from nurses working with OTHER PEOPLE'S NEWBORN INFANTS.

Two important points: These aren't her children and they're not 10 months old. Your post is nothing but a whataboutism and I don't understand that reaction from a parent about a nurse betraying the trust of parents with her handling of their newborn infants.

The viral post shared a photo from a Snapchat account that showed the employee giving the middle finger to a newborn, followed by a caption that read “How I currently feel about these mini Satans.” The post also read the “navy nurse” and her friend made a baby dance to rap music.

This is one of the lines from the OP but im not entirely sure of the context

Was it just a comment on the posted video or does it involve the employees attitude towards the children at the facility?

Either way this is where I thought the racist angle came in

The rap music you mean? What if that just happened to be what was on the radio?

This, I think, is the worst post in this thread. Who cares how you play with your own 10 month old infant? This nurse is at best unprofessional and at worst causing harm to these new born infants. Her actions are completely lacking in both professionalism and the basic human decency we expect from all people and much more from nurses working with OTHER PEOPLE'S NEWBORN INFANTS.

Two important points: These aren't her children and they're not 10 months old. Your post is nothing but a whataboutism and I don't understand that reaction from a parent about a nurse betraying the trust of parents with her handling of their newborn infants.

Yup this post right here

As a parent myself I would be absolutely outraged if a Nurse pulled this shit

effzee

I am going to rely on everyone's comments here because anything to do with kids and esp babies makes my blood boil.

I have a 3 year old and 6 month old. I never the level of love, affection, and fear I could fear until I had kids. To know someone would do this to newborn babies as some joke is so infuriating. If I was a parent in this case I don't know what I would do.

Same reason as much as my heart breaks I can't bring myself to take a look at the pictures of the genocide taking place against the Muslim population in Myanmar.

Greedings

The worst part of this, is that this bitch was dumb enough to post it on social media. Just think of all the bullshit that goes on without anyone knowing.

Chuckie

The worst part of this, is that this bitch was dumb enough to post it on social media. Just think of all the bullshit that goes on without anyone knowing.

Yeah this. I think it would drive a normal person mad if they knew how much fucked up child abuse happens every day.

Makes me sick thinking about it. I hope those two cunts get court-martialled

Late Flag

Exactly. I'm a little baffled as to why people are getting hung up on the "is it racist?" angle. This was wildly inappropriate regardless of the race of the babies and it should result in immediate termination.

ShyMel

Babies are delicate and should not be moved around to dance. Those employees are extremely unprofessional and I am glad they were fired. If you do not like babies, then do not work in an environment where you will come in contact with them!

Chuckie

Exactly. I'm a little baffled as to why people are getting hung up on the "is it racist?" angle. This was wildly inappropriate regardless of the race of the babies and it should result in immediate termination.

I think it is because of the title. It contains "Nurse taking racist photos".

Some people do not see the racism and react on the title (instead of the child abuse..which strangely isn't in the title)

KHarvey16

Since my first post in this thread I have been consistent that it's ridiculous for posters to show up in this thread for the sole purpose of complaining that the actions of the nurses wasn't racist, with little or no concern about the actions themselves, which IMO are horrible regardless and should be the first concern the average person has over having a racism debate. You're the one trying to turn this into a larger debate about racism making the actions "worse" that falls into the same bucket of conversation that shouldn't be the first thing someone wants to talk about when it comes to this story IMO.

Also, in general many people (especially in the US) mentally require that someone have hatred for individuals of different skin tones in order to believe someone did something racist vs understanding the concept of being able to perform a racist act regardless of if they did it intentionally or not. So you're not likely going to prove the actions were "worse" in this specific story when you're potentially dealing with people who want to see if these nurses had Nazi arm bands in their bags before calling the actions racist.

You said you wanted racism to be involved here.

I'll repeat: you want racism to be involved. When asked if you preferred racism wasn't involved, you say that doesn't matter.

That is completely bizarre to me and should be to anyone actually concerned about racism and bigotry. I don't ever want racism to be a part of anyone's decision process. If a crime is committed, I 100% prefer it to not involve racism and if you can't say the same about yourself I would question your motivations and understanding. Suggesting it doesn't matter doesn't even make sense given the rest of your argument. It's self defeating.

orava

"Can't we just leave the racism out of things. Why does everything have to be about race."

Well it's pretty clear why this particular case is made to be about race now. It sells better, gets more people riled up and some people can use it as a leverage. It's not about if the people taking the pictures are racist or not. They are horrible people in any case. The argument is about making and reporting it as racist issue first.

TBiddy

I think it is because of the title. It contains "Nurse taking racist photos".

Some people do not see the racism and react on the title (instead of the child abuse..which strangely isn't in the title)

Exactly. For some reason it was more important to highlight the (imaginary?) racism than the actual fucking child abuse taking place.

kvothe

It's like if OP made a post that was titled "Man kills man in racist fit of rage." And then posts a news story that has no mention of race at all and in the only pictures in the story both the victim and the murderer appear to be white. No one will come in there and say, killing people is fine! But some people might be a bit confused as to where OP got the whole race angle. Does OP have more information than we do?

But then if anyone questions it, they get the answer "Someone was murdered... does it really matter if it was racist or not?" When OP was the one that asserted the racism in the first place!

Royce McCutcheon

It's like if OP made a post that was titled "Man kills man in racist fit of rage." And then posts a news story that has no mention of race at all and in the only pictures in the story both the victim and the murderer appear to be white. No one will come in there and say, killing people is fine! But some people might be a bit confused as to where OP got the whole race angle. Does OP have more information than we do?

But then if anyone questions it, they get the answer "Someone was murdered... does it really matter if it was racist or not?" When OP was the one that asserted the racism in the first place!

So with all due respect, should we just respect the topic title until it's proven Otherwise? Or if it's that fucking painful to call this evil woman a racist, change the topic title.

Wtf the fuck is going on in the US right now.

I'm not sure which South American country you're from for a more tailored response, but I suppose it really doesn't need it.

Bad people exist and haven't gotten the shit beat out of them because it's not outwardly obvious most of the time that they are bad people.

Now, to be fair, humanity was a mistake, it's all trash. However, this is the rancid trash that needed to get composted years ago, but due to crippling mental issues, we've let the pile grow, and congeal, and get worse, and worse, and worse. So now we have so much trash that we can't tell what's actually stinking up the place until one of the bags bursts, spilling its vile contents all over the place.

The only way to fix it will be to burn the house down. The stench will never go away otherwise.

orava

So with all due respect, should we just respect the topic title until it's proven Otherwise? Or if it's that fucking painful to call this evil woman a racist, change the topic title.

The original article title is simply "Jacksonville Naval Hospital removes employees from patient care after disturbing photos with newborns go viral"

Still clickbaity but that should have been enough for the post title without any of the extra made up stuff that people should now somehow disprove.

Is anybody actually defending the reprehensible actions in the video? It's awful, there is not much to say other than that.

The OP framed the incident as racist with no real evidence that babies of color were preferentially targeted for this kind of treatment, and people are wondering what heuristics were used to generate that assertion - a question not adequately answered at any point in this thread, really, just asserted as "obvious" and used as a hammer to imply that one is not a good anti-racist or subscribes to the quantum racism paradigm if one does not accept that aspect of the framing.

People have no idea how a lot of black babies look when they are born. My child could pass for white or East Asian at birth. Color came within a month or so.

Garuroh

To clarify, I was saying it because mostly people only picture white men when talking about racism. Guess I should have said "white women CAN be so vile"

tkscz

What she's doing is so fucking horrible. And I've seen people defending her saying "well I've seen parents have their babies dance." Yes, the babies parents. If they want to be shitty parents and do this to their newborns without supporting the kid's heads, they are free to as the parents. This woman is a nurse and is admitting to hating babies. She didn't give birth to the baby and can do serious harm to a baby that isn't hers. So yes, some parents will play with their new borns like this, but it's their kid.

As for the racism issue, there isn't enough evidence that she is only doing this to minority babies. And can you look at any of her selfies and not tell she's one of those suburban white women who stay listening to mid 2000's rap while twerking horrible? It's seems like a stretch to me to assume she isn't doing this do other babies, she just got caught doing it to this one. I hope they check all other newborns that she's been around.

orava

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/...after-photos-with-newborns-go-viral/477079315

Kolenc said if it becomes serious enough, a warrant could be requested to search their deleted social media platforms to see if any other inappropriate videos were posted in the past. He said the fact that they recorded such an act and then posted it puts them in even hotter water.

”Shocking and embarrassing for the Navy, I know the commanders are horrified to see this kind of public relations nightmare, this strikes me as stupid, millennial misbehavior," Kolenc said. ”As a defense council, I defended a lot of young and stupid Air Force men too. Young people sometimes make really dumb decisions."

The women involved were immediately removed from patient care at the hospital. Kolenc said it could take weeks or months to formulate a punishment as they have to investigate their history with the Navy.

Millennials are killing the babies.

Top Bottom