• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Setre

Reading some of the stores in this thread prompted me to buy Combined Operations off of Steam. I’ve never played Arma before so it should be fun learning the ropes.

Arucardo

If BIS would put Combined Operations on sale in midweek madness on steam and this mod and videos spread to news outlets like PCG and RockPaperShotgun the game could sell like hot cakes, it's already well on it's way climbing the steam top chart.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Anyone able to play right now? Seems to me the master servers are down.

And redownloading the cheat thing did the trick, thanks!

Mafro

Great mod and all, but I can probably count on one hand the number of successful server connections I've had since I bought this yesterday.

Arucardo

I try to play on the EU Olutta.org servers (was playing on FI1 earlier) when I can. I'd love to get a group going over teamspeak or such at some point. With the amount of servers and all the attention this is getting it can be tricky to join a server now.

Arucardo

How long does the "receiving data" bar usually take to load... mine seems stuck at about 85%.

Basically it gets stuck at the end for me every time, but if you press space a few times with the "Ok" button selected it should join the game.

How long does the "receiving data" bar usually take to load... mine seems stuck at about 85%.

Sometimes it's quick but others it takes a good few minutes at least. It's rarely stuck, just takes a long time. Maybe it's the initial load that takes forever. When I exit because of death then rejoin it's usually much faster. I alt+tab out and browse while it loads.

Fuck this looks absolutely amazing, I would pay any price for the games the mod is based on, sadly though I recently switched over to a Mac.

MNC

Great, now I don't know what to do. The game might go standalone, and there are so many things I'd pobably wait for (ie easier install for the mod, just the need for only arma or its expansion pack) but I also want to play it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
first bandit kill shit got real after he killed my friend he thought he could hide in a building so i stormed him with a pistol and took him down felt great
eatitbandit.jpg

Enco

Great, now I don't know what to do. The game might go standalone, and there are so many things I'd pobably wait for (ie easier install for the mod, just the need for only arma or its expansion pack) but I also want to play it.
Same.

Only add in Max Payne 3.

Hate to be a troll, but that's why you don't go Mac :p No games ever hit Mac and if they do they're only the big games.

Yeah I know you're kinda right but I was never a PC gamer to begin with besides maybe CS:S but of course once in a while a game comes out that you just have to play regardless of which system it's on...this is that game. It's just something I've always wanted to play.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else getting "Waiting for Server Response" when they try and play?

Orgun

holy fuckballs taht was tense. Sneaking through ruins in the dead of night with only my beans, canteen of water and my Makarov. It was about an hour before I had to fire my first shot!

Came across a village and couldn't resist the urge to explore it, plus I was running low on beans and was out of water. Started sneaking through the village (it's still night) and saw some movement in a building, I drop prone and watch. It's two zeds that appear to be having an indepth conversation...either that or in an animation loop. I dropped them but the noise of firing brought more zombies to me and I ended up dropping another 5 zeds...with about 4 clips of ammo lol. Wild firing.

In the building I found...some empty cans. On the plus side I did come across a Lee Enfield and a whole mess of ammo for it in the next buildilng :D

docbon

holy fuckballs taht was tense. Sneaking through ruins in the dead of night with only my beans, canteen of water and my Makarov. It was about an hour before I had to fire my first shot!

Came across a village and couldn't resist the urge to explore it, plus I was running low on beans and was out of water. Started sneaking through the village (it's still night) and saw some movement in a building, I drop prone and watch. It's two zeds that appear to be having an indepth conversation...either that or in an animation loop. I dropped them but the noise of firing brought more zombies to me and I ended up dropping another 5 zeds...with about 4 clips of ammo lol. Wild firing.

In the building I found...some empty cans. On the plus side I did come across a Lee Enfield and a whole mess of ammo for it in the next buildilng :D

if you fire that enfield, be prepared to waste the next 4 clips on a city's worth of undead.

Darknight

You can directly buy it from BIS. They get 100% of the money!

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations/

You can also buy the Private Military DLC. Without it, the textures on the player models are all low-res.

So is this version DRM free? Also is this version the only one where you have to buy that military dlc to get the proper models??? Thanx

PS: Just looking for the best place to buy OA (non steam) as I have Arma2 from GreenManGaming.

Orgun

Was hoping no one would say anything, and we'd get another post in 5 mins about him getting swarmed :D

Haha I haven't fired it yet, thought it best to save it. I haven't encountered any other players yet :(

Really hope we can get a GAF team going at some point.

railGUN

Banned
I just can't seem to get into any servers. I get past various loading sections, I'm not stuck at the same point each time, but I've yet to actually fully load into the game, despite trying multiple servers for the last hour and a bit.

I'm not getting errors or anything, just "stuck" while loading, sometimes at "receiving data", sometimes at "wait for host" and sometimes beyond that.

Edit: of course right after I typed this, I got into my first game...

I just can't seem to get into any servers. I get past various loading sections, I'm not stuck at the same point each time, but I've yet to actually fully load into the game, despite trying multiple servers for the last hour and a bit.

I'm not getting errors or anything, just "stuck" while loading, sometimes at "receiving data", sometimes at "wait for host" and sometimes beyond that.

How long do you wait when it gets past the point of showing the player list and into receiving data? It's taken at least 5-8 minutes initially before for me at that point. It's inconsistent.

legacyzero

Banned
first bandit kill shit got real after he killed my friend he thought he could hide in a building so i stormed him with a pistol and took him down felt great
eatitbandit.jpg

Fucking JUSTICE. Thank you for doing that. As an honest player, I feel great seeing a dead bandit lol

railGUN

Banned
How long do you wait when it gets past the point of showing the player list and into receiving data? It's taken at least 5-8 minutes initially before for me at that point. It's inconsistent.

I got into a game right after I typed that... I think the servers are just getting hammered and a bunch are dead / not working.

DTKT

How do people become bandits? Just kill other people and get a spiffy suit?

You start the game with a stat called "Humanity" set at 2500. When you kill a player with a survivor skin, you lose something like 700 points. Once you get negative humanity, you get a bandit skin. You can regain some points by bandaging other players, using blood packs on them. It also automatically goes up each 5 mins.

I'm at -21k humanity. ;)

Sibylus

Banned
That there's a sales spike of Arma makes complete sense to me, virtually everyone I know who plays zombie games wants a zombie game like this (myself included). There's just such a want. I need to watch some of these videos.

I feel like i am in a state that trusting to anyone has become too high risk to take.

I'm currently roaming up north gathering supplies from town to town, skipping bigger high zed populated towns, moving from water source to next ( stopping to take water can be risky like in animal world lol, but water bottles are so much better than cans).
I have had few encounters with "friendlies" but the way i see myself with big backpack and military gear i'm not even going to take risk.

Still 0 human kills but iv had my m24 ready to blow unexpected travelers brains out few times because of that.

Lone wolf ftw.

qazqaNii

Just died for the first time, was going to that "mine" spot near the water (FIRST TIME PLAYING ARMA 2 SO PLEASE) a zombie screamed I was like lool noob zombie, shot him with my winchester and I was surrounded by 20 zombies I was like lol noobs! Ran to the water and what do I see? I can't bandage myself in the water.

And I died.

Karak

Anyone who is waiting because they feel the price might be high, or are having a problem getting the mod to join a server please realize that ARMA 2 is an amazingly detailed game in its own right. It also has one of the easiest drop-in editors you will ever find.

A gamer with no experience can go into the editor load a map drop a player in and drop in 10 enemies with random %'s to appear(slider bar when you drop an enemy into the game) and adjust the enemies placement chances(a simple number from 1-10000 indicating yards from the icon) and start a level by hitting the "preview" button within 60-90 seconds. It is literally that easy. And that level will then have a totally unique feel every single time you play it due to the slider bars that allow for random placement and chance of even appearing on the map.

Want to go to a different location on the map? Simply highlight all the icons and drag them to anywhere on the map and drop them again and hit "preview".
Want a team? Drop another character from your side right next to yours, they automatically join your team. Want a tank? Do the same.
Want to change the month, weather, time of day, fog? Just click on the sun icon in the top right of the editor. It's now December and near dusk and the entire way you have to play has changed.

Try it out guys. The game is awesome even in its own right in fact the editor alone is almost worth 30 bucks. The amount of time you can spend simply feeling out the AI and building your own battles is amazing.

Arucardo

Jesus, navigating the woods at night when it's pitch black, it's raining and there's occasional lightning strikes is intense.

Protip: If you can't see absolutely anything try turning HDR setting to High, it helps a little.

Anyone who is waiting because they feel the price might be high, or are having a problem getting the mod to join a server please realize that ARMA 2 is an amazingly detailed game in its own right. It also has one of the easiest drop-in editors you will ever find.

A gamer with no experience can go into the editor load a map drop a player in and drop in 10 enemies with random %'s to appear(slider bar when you drop an enemy into the game) and adjust the enemies placement chances(a simple number from 1-10000 indicating yards from the icon) and start a level by hitting the "preview" button within 60-90 seconds. It is literally that easy. And that level will then have a totally unique feel every single time you play it due to the slider bars that allow for random placement and chance of even appearing on the map.
Want to go to a different location on the map? Simply highlight all the icons and drag them to anywhere on the map and drop them again and hit "preview".
Want a team? Drop another character from your side right next to yours, they automatically join your team.

Try it out guys. The game is awesome even in its own right.

Totally agree. I think within 30 minutes of playing around and a few youtube tutorials I had a mission with random objectives and artillery support. It was really easy to build as there are a lot of tools for randomly generating missions built right into the editor and it is really easy to jump right from the editor into testing it out.

Top Bottom